TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-28 12:23:54 Reply

At 12/28/16 03:58 AM, Zero2562130 wrote: The things that made Newgrounds interesting to begin with was the edgy content that lampooned, satirized, or simply made light of tragic events, and you and the rest of your ilk have done everything in your power to remove this glorious USP, going so far as to erase NG history by deleting Flash movies that have copyrighted music out of a fear that some equally dickless media mogul might whine about a song from 2000 that his company owns being used in a cartoon from 2001. Hell, you even removed the Anita Sarkeesian Assassin game out of a hunch that she and her associates made it to fan the flames Feminist Frequency generated with the initial fallacious video, without, evidently, even considering the possibility that the heart from the beast can be stolen if you just left it on the site and considered it to be business as usual: Just another idiot no greater than any other one the site getting the shit kicked out of them in some way, shape, or form.

In some alternate timeline, the Anita game swelled our ranks with millions of loyal GamerGaters, saved Newgrounds and landed me a position in Trump's cabinet, where I dismantled copyright law. Unfortunately we're not living in that timeline.

Some 2016 Closing Thoughts

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Butzbo
Butzbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Animator
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-28 14:41:55 Reply

While more of a 'transitional year' for many, the Animation Jams were a fun event to follow, @Noodle 's 'This Week on Newgrounds' is something I hope keeps on evolving as a way to bring the 'Newgrounds News' on an alternative medium (even visiting the site I find stuff I've missed), and overall it was a cool year worth of content, checking my favs (other than the one's Tom mentioned) I wanted to list a few alternative but also inspirational ones because why not:

• My Childhood Nightmare
    My Childhood Nightmare by djavh

A stop motion movie version of my childhood's nightmare

Score
    4.19 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Great to find some more stopmotion around here, and also well executed for the story

• Papa's Cookies
    Papa's Cookies by Bassetfilms

tasty crunch of yummy cookie crumble

Score
    3.95 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

Also, this strangely well timed experience

This coolibert collaboration

• House
    House by isaacnite

A Girl. Alone. In a House.

Score
    4.04 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 17+

And this intriguing pixel horror game

BBS Signature
Jindo
Jindo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 23
Game Developer
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-28 16:09:16 Reply

Really awesome thoughts, well said.

I don't get to be as active as I would like, but Newgrounds and the talent it's filled with has always pushed me to do better, I've never experienced a creative environment as strong as this website.

Keep on making solid content everyone.

Soupcat
Soupcat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Animator
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-28 16:26:24 Reply

At 12/26/16 07:46 PM, TomFulp wrote: This past year David Bowie, Prince and George Michael died and I think the reason people are so upset isn't just because these people are so legendary, it's because they can't imagine current pop stars ever being so legendary. Our modern stars feel like emulations of the classics, or like The Force Awakens, everyone and everything nowadays feels a little too safe and familiar.

It makes me wonder, what IS edgy and cool now, because my attention isn't won by the same things as when I was a teenager in the 90s. What really won my attention this year was the people who just went above and beyond with their craft, which is why @Jaime-R feels so legendary because he made A Prank Time. I was also in awe of @PaperbagAnimator and @Kieran-s this year and I like how @Nutcasenightmare continues to make thoughtful games that present issues in a way that is fun to absorb while also showing off some impressive HTML5 chops. This stuff is enjoyed on multiple levels.

I'm going to have to side with @Zero2562130 sadly enough. It does feel like that "edgy" part of Newgrounds is missing and it was done on purpose. It feels like Newgrounds is missing something.
But of course I doubt Newgrounds would've thrived or even survived if it kept its old ways. It's a very understandable choice.
I'm going to stay optimistic and curious for what the future holds. But remember Tom, you can't please everybody all the time.

Newgrounds has been working hard to break interesting people out of obscurity for years now but the hardest part is that NG itself hasn't been able to break out of obscurity. My hope for Newgrounds is that it becomes so consistently INTERESTING that people have to take notice. We need to be our own unique pop culture.

Just like in the old days, right? ;)

I'd try to come up with a more ra ra closing to this post but I'm out of time at the moment and if I don't click POST I have a feeling I'll never actually post this, like many times in the past when I ramble out some thoughts and decide to save them for later. So I'll just remind everyone that we have a great Supporter upgrade that can go a long way towards improving the site and empowering the people who share their work here! Thank you everyone who has given support so far.

Well I started a new job so prepare to take my money. Again.

Also apologies in advance to all the amazing artists, developers and musicians I didn't name in this post; it was a quick stream of conscious thing and I'll regret not naming tons of people later. Like how about @aalong64 with Sublo & Tangy Mustard #4, every animator will find frames to study in that one. Or @Ferrantelli, who makes cooler games in 48 hours than most people make in their lives and he's only 19!

One day I'm going to wow you Tom, you just wait.

I guess my point is that the greatest people I know are right here on Newgrounds and I don't have to look elsewhere for idols. Sometimes it can make you feel crazy that the rest of the world doesn't see what you see but I know a lot of you do, so I just hope we keep getting louder in 2017 and beyond. RA RA!

Thanks for this post. It's these personal messages that will ALWAYS have me coming back. Always.

Happy New year guys.

Whirlguy
Whirlguy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Animator
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-28 20:03:54 Reply

At 12/28/16 02:41 PM, Butzbo wrote: @Noodle 's 'This Week on Newgrounds' is something I hope keeps on evolving as a way to bring the 'Newgrounds News' on an alternative medium (even visiting the site I find stuff I've missed)

Yeah, give that man a user of the year award please!

BBS Signature
Zero2562130
Zero2562130
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-29 00:27:24 Reply

At 12/28/16 12:23 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/28/16 03:58 AM, Zero2562130 wrote: The things that made Newgrounds interesting to begin with was the edgy content that lampooned, satirized, or simply made light of tragic events, and you and the rest of your ilk have done everything in your power to remove this glorious USP, going so far as to erase NG history by deleting Flash movies that have copyrighted music out of a fear that some equally dickless media mogul might whine about a song from 2000 that his company owns being used in a cartoon from 2001. Hell, you even removed the Anita Sarkeesian Assassin game out of a hunch that she and her associates made it to fan the flames Feminist Frequency generated with the initial fallacious video, without, evidently, even considering the possibility that the heart from the beast can be stolen if you just left it on the site and considered it to be business as usual: Just another idiot no greater than any other one the site getting the shit kicked out of them in some way, shape, or form.
In some alternate timeline, the Anita game swelled our ranks with millions of loyal GamerGaters, saved Newgrounds and landed me a position in Trump's cabinet, where I dismantled copyright law. Unfortunately we're not living in that timeline.

As if that timeline couldn't exist, a.k.a. you reupload the game, pull a reverse Bruce Jenner by actually getting a dick and balls, and pull the RIAA tinfoil hat out of your ass. Given your aforementioned dickless nature, however, it wouldn't be surprising at all if you're content with being a YouTube wannabe, at odds with your intended goals, and living in constant fear over bullshit you've overcome millions of times before. But of course, that means you wouldn't be able to bitch and moan about the current state of affairs that you pretend is out of your hands.

BBS Signature
Zero2562130
Zero2562130
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-29 00:34:49 Reply

At 12/28/16 04:26 PM, Soupcat wrote:
At 12/26/16 07:46 PM, TomFulp wrote: This past year David Bowie, Prince and George Michael died and I think the reason people are so upset isn't just because these people are so legendary, it's because they can't imagine current pop stars ever being so legendary. Our modern stars feel like emulations of the classics, or like The Force Awakens, everyone and everything nowadays feels a little too safe and familiar.

It makes me wonder, what IS edgy and cool now, because my attention isn't won by the same things as when I was a teenager in the 90s. What really won my attention this year was the people who just went above and beyond with their craft, which is why @Jaime-R feels so legendary because he made A Prank Time. I was also in awe of @PaperbagAnimator and @Kieran-s this year and I like how @Nutcasenightmare continues to make thoughtful games that present issues in a way that is fun to absorb while also showing off some impressive HTML5 chops. This stuff is enjoyed on multiple levels.
I'm going to have to side with @Zero2562130 sadly enough. It does feel like that "edgy" part of Newgrounds is missing and it was done on purpose. It feels like Newgrounds is missing something.
But of course I doubt Newgrounds would've thrived or even survived if it kept its old ways. It's a very understandable choice.
I'm going to stay optimistic and curious for what the future holds. But remember Tom, you can't please everybody all the time.

It was done on purpose, and that's because Tom himself lost his edge. It would've thrived very well by offering an alternative to the hipster bullshit clogging up modern culture today, and there is definitely an audience for such a counter-measure, regardless of Tom's presumptive faggotry. Newgrounds is barely surviving, and a good part of that is the drain YT and the like has had on it over the years. See: Household names like OneyNG rarely uploading content anymore due to YT providing a better offer. But of course, it's easier to assume that I'm just a Trump supporter rather than actually try to save the site. Mmm, gotta love that Adblocker.

BBS Signature
RigaheaD
RigaheaD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Game Developer
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-29 09:04:46 Reply

Make farts great again. .. Sorry some time I don't know what I'm saying.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-29 09:17:57 Reply

At 12/29/16 12:27 AM, Zero2562130 wrote: As if that timeline couldn't exist, a.k.a. you reupload the game, pull a reverse Bruce Jenner by actually getting a dick and balls, and pull the RIAA tinfoil hat out of your ass. Given your aforementioned dickless nature, however, it wouldn't be surprising at all if you're content with being a YouTube wannabe, at odds with your intended goals, and living in constant fear over bullshit you've overcome millions of times before. But of course, that means you wouldn't be able to bitch and moan about the current state of affairs that you pretend is out of your hands.

There's no money to overcome the bullshit, this is a 6-7 figure legal battle and like you noted in your other post, you love Adblock and you aren't a paying supporter. Way to talk big while doing nothing to actually support a fight, talk about toothless.

BBS Signature
KungFuSpaceBarbarian
KungFuSpaceBarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Writer
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-29 12:28:17 Reply

At 12/28/16 08:03 PM, Whirlguy wrote:
At 12/28/16 02:41 PM, Butzbo wrote: @Noodle 's 'This Week on Newgrounds' is something I hope keeps on evolving as a way to bring the 'Newgrounds News' on an alternative medium (even visiting the site I find stuff I've missed)
Yeah, give that man a user of the year award please!

hear hear!

BBS Signature
Greenskullkid
Greenskullkid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-29 14:17:12 Reply

At 12/29/16 09:17 AM, TomFulp wrote:
There's no money to overcome the bullshit, this is a 6-7 figure legal battle and like you noted in your other post, you love Adblock and you aren't a paying supporter. Way to talk big while doing nothing to actually support a fight, talk about toothless.

Haha I love this side of you, cold hearted.

gsk.

Zero2562130
Zero2562130
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-29 15:04:32 Reply

At 12/29/16 12:27 AM, Zero2562130 wrote: As if that timeline couldn't exist, a.k.a. you reupload the game, pull a reverse Bruce Jenner by actually getting a dick and balls, and pull the RIAA tinfoil hat out of your ass. Given your aforementioned dickless nature, however, it wouldn't be surprising at all if you're content with being a YouTube wannabe, at odds with your intended goals, and living in constant fear over bullshit you've overcome millions of times before. But of course, that means you wouldn't be able to bitch and moan about the current state of affairs that you pretend is out of your hands.

You mean to tell me that DreamWorks Records is trying to sue you for having a Papa Roach song in a 15 year-old Flash movie that you didn't even make? I find that very hard to believe, and would like to see some evidence that there's a credible threat. If there was, then that begs the question as to why they didn't sue all those years ago, or if it's even a legitimate case to begin with. Yes, I love keeping AdBlock on and hoarding my trillions of dollars, /sarcasm. I'm not going to donate anything to a site that's lost its way, especially when it's not even going to change your attitude towards this shit. Way to guilt/extort someone for not being a blind follower, I'm sure your dentures will fit you nicely.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-29 15:31:21 Reply

At 12/29/16 03:04 PM, Zero2562130 wrote: You mean to tell me that DreamWorks Records is trying to sue you for having a Papa Roach song in a 15 year-old Flash movie that you didn't even make? I find that very hard to believe, and would like to see some evidence that there's a credible threat. If there was, then that begs the question as to why they didn't sue all those years ago, or if it's even a legitimate case to begin with. Yes, I love keeping AdBlock on and hoarding my trillions of dollars, /sarcasm. I'm not going to donate anything to a site that's lost its way, especially when it's not even going to change your attitude towards this shit. Way to guilt/extort someone for not being a blind follower, I'm sure your dentures will fit you nicely.

Dreamworks Records would most likely file a DMCA takedown notice, however the licensing agencies don't operate as takedown services - licensing agencies only make money by collecting royalties for the performances of music they represent. Just about every commercial performer is represented by a licensing agency in addition to their record label.

BBS Signature
SpareMatt
SpareMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Animator
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-29 16:13:05 Reply

I like you tom, but you put too much trust in newgrounds honestly. I love this site, it's amazing and the people on here are no some of my best friends. But, newgrounds isn't gonna blow up again, it's just not. It's like a secret community if that's the right word. I know you're trying to sponsor it as much as possible to get it to blow up and get all sorts of ad traction, but it's not gonna happen. If I were you, I'd keep making games, keep newgrounds ( don't kill it), and focus on another project (maybe the Behemoth?). That's just my opinon.

SevenSeize
SevenSeize
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-29 16:17:40 Reply

At 12/27/16 07:21 AM, deathink wrote: Speaking of 19yo nerds making fab stuff, CHECK THIS GUY OUT!!!
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/666644
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/676237
@ex-poser

These were great! I am now a life long fan.

Nekoyoujo
Nekoyoujo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-29 16:30:15 Reply

Some stuff about David Bowie being a rapist came out shortly after his death, so people were a lot less sad later on, me included. Prince was almost as devastating and M.J.. In Minneapolis, nothing could have hit harder - being his birthplace. George, meh. As a queer person I really don't care, but a lot of others insist that I should when I say the greater queer community should have cared more when Prince died. Prince, being non-gender conforming.

Carrie (Princess Leia(?)) Fisher also died, along with Zsa Zsa Gabor and her son a week after her death. Carrie's daughter is currently in the hospital, and there's a chance she won't make it. There was also an actor that died at age 94. He was less influential these, obviously. They only talked about him for 2 seconds.

People die. No level wealth or fame can protect us from our own mortality.

Call me if you need me!
The life of zines and stickers part 1

BBS Signature
chris-the-stick2
chris-the-stick2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-29 22:04:00 Reply

well, this is a really nice, emotional and honest post, mr tom fulp, and i liked it alot!
indeed, many old legends are gone now, and there are few artists nowadays that can still make unique/interesting/emotional content, be it music, or artwork, or poetry or anything in the artistic genre in general.

i want to be an optimist, but i see many good artists/creators gone, and music nowdays doesnt have the legendary feel that it used to have...
and its sad.

but i try to be hopeful, and i try to look around for new artists, for new talented individuals, and for music that will move me.

as for artistry in animation/drawings/games, thankfully newgrounds has always been a fertile ground, and i ALWAYS see many good artists/animators/game-makers: contrary to modern music's condition, the artists of NG are VERY good, both new and old ones alike...
so, the flame is still burning, and the heart of NG's vibrant community is still beating strong.

keep up the good work, artists/animators/game-makers of NG!
may NG keep on running, and may NG get famous+recognized for being one of the best creative grounds of the entire internet. (and of the world, if i dare say so myself).

keep on rocking, tom! same thing goes to wade/to the NG staff/to everyone else!
merry (late) christmas, and a happy new year!!

ADR3-N
ADR3-N
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-29 23:40:29 Reply

At 12/26/16 07:46 PM, TomFulp wrote: Newgrounds has been working hard to break interesting people out of obscurity for years now but the hardest part is that NG itself hasn't been able to break out of obscurity. My hope for Newgrounds is that it becomes so consistently INTERESTING that people have to take notice. We need to be our own unique pop culture.

I listen to the radio these days and think, "man, I've heard better shit on Newgrounds", hear a chord progression from a pop song and think, "all this stuff sure does sound the same -- so safe, so formulaic". And it's true. We do have a fantastic range of artists, animators, and musicians here. It just pisses me off that everyone looks to YouTube (Google), the one place that has their boot on our throats because they're so afraid of us coming up with something better than them...

I mean, we have games, art, movies, music, forums -- a real community. They have... videos. Sure, some good how-to and indie movies, but by and large, if you want to find a game, it's a let's play. If you want music, it's probably either really shitty, or essentially piracy, and the YT community is cancer. I can count my friends from there in 10 years on one finger. NG? Oh god, don't get me started. I'll need some extra limbs.

Supporter upgrade that can go a long way towards improving the site and empowering the people who share their work here

Still working on this -- just need a bank account or a debit card or... something. I'll get there. This is one of the things I've wanted to do since I found out Supporter upgrades existed -- give back. Newgrounds has given me so much. Tom, you give so much. There's just no place like NG.

I guess my point is that the greatest people I know are right here on Newgrounds and I don't have to look elsewhere for idols. Sometimes it can make you feel crazy that the rest of the world doesn't see what you see but I know a lot of you do, so I just hope we keep getting louder in 2017 and beyond. RA RA!

I do everything I can to boost NG on social media, embeds, etc., even YT. Just keep working on keeping NG ahead of the pack with the team, and the rest of us will follow. We're loyal for a reason. There's no place like home, no place like NG.

The simplest solution is either right, or dumb af.
AP Flag HowTo - VSTs! - Sig by LexaHergon

BBS Signature
FOST3R
FOST3R
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Animator
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-30 05:25:15 Reply

I think one way I know Newgrounds is a groundbreaking place, is that I have to warn people before I send them here. "You never know what you'll see or come across." I never have to do that with other sites.

That being said, I think Newgrounds goes through phases. A lot of what made it what it was -- and what it is today -- is that in the late 90s/early 2000s all of this was uncharted territory. I think Newgrounds has retained that 'wild west' atmosphere where there is no law, no rules, no limits. But now it's getting harder in some ways. The copyright crackdown is a big one, because many of the foundations of this site used a lot of copyrighted content. I can think of all my favorite flash animations -- the ones that were my earliest and fondest memories of this site and the web in general -- and I'm certain nearly all of them have copyright music in them. Who knows what will happen to all of this now.

On the other hand, with every one of these pitfalls, a way to bypass them has been created. I think this all will give the audio portal a chance to really shine further than it ever has before. Now that Youtube is becoming a harsh home for many creators, I'm hopeful that all of these factors combined will allow Newgrounds to kick some ass in the near future. Not that it already doesn't.

Thanks for everything you do for us, @tomfulp, and Happy New Year!

CatOfSnow
CatOfSnow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Blank Slate

At 12/27/16 12:31 AM, NekoMika wrote:

I've also gotten to know a few good friends even better now than before the year really started, (@Bit, @rinnythekitty, @CoolBerries, Porkchop, @YumToxic, @CatOfSnow, most of the mod team, and some others.)

thank you for mentioning me my friend :)
and hope everyone is ready for a brand new year :33333

Wick3dRabbit
Wick3dRabbit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-30 10:08:46 Reply

At 12/27/16 11:28 PM, NekoMika wrote: Of that note, I do want to say thank you to @YumToxic and @Wick3dRabbit for letting me collaborate with them on some awesome stuff. Here's to more collabs in 2017, would love to try writing for more content or helping with music. >w<

Haha thank you too; it was really fun working with you making the track :) And don't worry, i'm having a whole ton of projects going on right now, so i'll have to call you again, this time maybe you could actually be my vocalist ;D

Thanks again, @nekomika x)

BBS Signature
AliceMako
AliceMako
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Musician

Now while i'm one of those sad people who worships the ground Trent walks on, as an artist whose stayed relevant by virtue of recycling his own sound perpetualy i'd be remiss if i didn't bring up something about people in glass houses. Also he's late to the party, Marilyn Manson for example dedicated an entire song to this some years back if memory serves. Something about legends only getting older and the young growing less bold etc were his exact words.

Regardless of what arbitrary calendar date comes or goes, we as the new old guard are not going to do the current or the next generation any favours by banging on how it's a crying shame they're forced to play ball constantly with the powers that be and that they'll never experience what type of creative freedom they're systematicaly being deprived of. ( i'm somewhat confident they're by and large aware of this )

This narrative just makes us look like part of the problem and them as inherently weak, we're going to have to do better then that if any of us plan for our shared experience/opinions to be at all relevant or at least helpful in the foreseeable future since the opposite is true ; newgrounds is the antidote, people are tough and resourceful.

Now with all that said some shout outs to fabulous people i got to meet and even a couple i got to collab with cus you saw fit to have @BrentHeMan bring back the chat : @Totty @SuperBastard @johnathan-wrathborne @Bit @NekoMika @CoolBerries @NeonStarLight @Malachy @Knights @TailsPrower @Alexander @Mike @SkullHeadMurder @Jin and whomever else i'm forgetting, you know who you are.

Edit : picture related, courtesy of our very own @MintyFreshThoughts

Some 2016 Closing Thoughts

BBS Signature
NekoMika
NekoMika
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Musician
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-30 11:42:50 Reply

At 12/30/16 11:34 AM, AliceMako wrote:
Now with all that said some shout outs to fabulous people i got to meet and even a couple i got to collab with cus you saw fit to have @BrentHeMan bring back the chat : @Totty @SuperBastard @johnathan-wrathborne @Bit @NekoMika @CoolBerries @NeonStarLight @Malachy @Knights @TailsPrower @Alexander @Mike @SkullHeadMurder @Jin and whomever else i'm forgetting, you know who you are.

It was fun helping you be inspired for a song or two, maybe we can collab someday, you never know. :)

Request Reviews // #8 Reviewer // #2 Audio Reviewer
Audio / Review Moderator - PM with problems or questions

BBS Signature
SkullHeadMurder
SkullHeadMurder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist

At 12/30/16 11:34 AM, AliceMako wrote:

And we look forward to seeing what you do in 2017 yo.

2016 was a crazy and interesting year for me personally as there has been a lot of change (more this year than the past few that I've been where I currently am). I don't have much to publicly say about it but I can say it was a fun year and I'm looking forward to the next with all you guys.

FOST3R
FOST3R
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Animator
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-30 14:38:03 Reply

At 12/29/16 03:04 PM, Zero2562130 wrote:
Yes, I love keeping AdBlock on and hoarding my trillions of dollars, /sarcasm. I'm not going to donate anything to a site that's lost its way, especially when it's not even going to change your attitude towards this shit. Way to guilt/extort someone for not being a blind follower, I'm sure your dentures will fit you nicely.

There, I bought you a Supporter Upgrade so you don't even need to run AdBlock now -- or worry and complain about supporting a website that you clearly care about so much for the next year, you whine-ass. lol

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 57
Writer

It's been a pretty good year... even with so many passing legends. They may not be as noticeable, but outside the mainstream music it's all but bland and conformative. It's still a bold age, though with such a surplus of talent, and demand for new content, that I wonder if any will ever become as iconic as the old, even past their time.

Feels like we do have our own culture here already, though as for going pop... I kinda like being Indie. :) Big revenue and recognition may be a loss, but it's in the obscure tunnels of the underground realm that creativity really thrives. IMO it's becoming a more and more down to earth, close-knit community, away from the reaches of the big five and their social monopoly. Everyone's involved. I didn't really like the new slogan when it came about, but it's making more and more sense as time goes.

If we do become a fan-fed, self-supported/financed, unstoppable force of pure creativity that doesn't need to rely on all those bigger commercial entities to keep everything running, with resources to spare... that'd be pretty awesome. Hoping and looking forward to great things in 2017!

At 12/29/16 11:40 PM, EDM364 wrote: Just keep working on keeping NG ahead of the pack with the team, and the rest of us will follow. We're loyal for a reason. There's no place like home, no place like NG.

Well-worded!

PGAM
PGAM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-30 20:03:26 Reply

Keep calm and wait for 2017

Zero2562130
Zero2562130
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-31 00:09:42 Reply

At 12/29/16 03:31 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/29/16 03:04 PM, Zero2562130 wrote: You mean to tell me that DreamWorks Records is trying to sue you for having a Papa Roach song in a 15 year-old Flash movie that you didn't even make? I find that very hard to believe, and would like to see some evidence that there's a credible threat. If there was, then that begs the question as to why they didn't sue all those years ago, or if it's even a legitimate case to begin with. Yes, I love keeping AdBlock on and hoarding my trillions of dollars, /sarcasm. I'm not going to donate anything to a site that's lost its way, especially when it's not even going to change your attitude towards this shit. Way to guilt/extort someone for not being a blind follower, I'm sure your dentures will fit you nicely.
Dreamworks Records would most likely file a DMCA takedown notice, however the licensing agencies don't operate as takedown services - licensing agencies only make money by collecting royalties for the performances of music they represent. Just about every commercial performer is represented by a licensing agency in addition to their record label.

And has any such litigation actually come to pass? All your actions regarding this come off as paranoid, especially when the Copyright Act of 1976 and/or the Grandfather Clause should protect Flashes like the one I'm talking about via non-profit and parody protection and for existing before any change in copyright law has occurred, respectively.

BBS Signature
MobileSpider
MobileSpider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-31 03:08:25 Reply

2016 has definitely been the best year of my life, and its definitely because of NG. Honestly wish more than the best for NG for many years to come, and I love you Tom. Have an awesome New Years!

CaveDancer
CaveDancer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-31 04:13:21 Reply

I hope 2017 will be a good year!