• Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 11:23:05 Reply

At 12/27/16 08:23 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/27/16 08:20 AM, MindChamber wrote: I cried
Your just still thinking about the droid from Rogue One.

Thanks, I'm crying again now.

BenjaminTibbetts
BenjaminTibbetts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Musician
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 11:53:36 Reply

At 12/26/16 07:46 PM, TomFulp wrote: Newgrounds has been working hard to break interesting people out of obscurity for years now but the hardest part is that NG itself hasn't been able to break out of obscurity. My hope for Newgrounds is that it becomes so consistently INTERESTING that people have to take notice. We need to be our own unique pop culture.

Tom, I think you would enjoy Kevin Kelly's brief essay 1,000 True Fans. He argues that creators (or, in this case, communities of creators) can feasibly focus on attracting a small number of diehard fans as opposed to a large audience of people merely aware of you. I think this is relevant to the success of Newgrounds.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 51
Gamer
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 12:45:17 Reply

Tom, are you planning to make Newgrounds great again?

Sig by Luis - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Timsplosion
Timsplosion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Animator
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 13:26:44 Reply

2016 just took Carrie Fischer.

YonusBahtzee
YonusBahtzee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 13:41:28 Reply

Words well spoken.

Here's to you Newgrounds. Happy (almost) New Year.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 14:13:19 Reply

At 12/27/16 12:45 PM, ZJ wrote: Tom, are you planning to make Newgrounds great again?

Yes that is what the next four years will be all about.

This is the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer

At 12/27/16 11:53 AM, BenjaminTibbetts wrote:
At 12/26/16 07:46 PM, TomFulp wrote: Newgrounds has been working hard to break interesting people out of obscurity for years now but the hardest part is that NG itself hasn't been able to break out of obscurity. My hope for Newgrounds is that it becomes so consistently INTERESTING that people have to take notice. We need to be our own unique pop culture.
Tom, I think you would enjoy Kevin Kelly's brief essay 1,000 True Fans. He argues that creators (or, in this case, communities of creators) can feasibly focus on attracting a small number of diehard fans as opposed to a large audience of people merely aware of you. I think this is relevant to the success of Newgrounds.

It's a good point, although for NG to best serve lots of people while expecting less than $100 per year per fan, we need to scale it up like he said. That's why the current goal is 10K, which gets NG to a really nice place, while the longer-term goal of 100K is like a dream scenario that would make things amazing around here. Anything in-between of course would be pretty awesome.

BBS Signature
ChazDude
ChazDude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Artist
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 14:53:18 Reply

At 12/27/16 01:26 PM, Timsplosion wrote: 2016 just took Carrie Fischer.

There's only 4 days left, stay strong.

The word 'tosser' is tossed around a lot these days.
If you're new here . If you're submitting art . Feel free to follow (or not, it's your choice)

BBS Signature
BenjaminTibbetts
BenjaminTibbetts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Musician

At 12/26/16 07:46 PM, TomFulp wrote: Anything in-between of course would be pretty awesome.

Yes. I will do my part and remain a monthly supporter. :)

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 15:27:40 Reply

Cheers, Tom. I'm happy to be here and doing what I can to spread the Good Word. Let's keep this place alive and kicking.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
JustAPunnyGuy
JustAPunnyGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 15:58:53 Reply

Let's hope for the best next year and the future

evanarmagast
evanarmagast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Animator
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 16:29:20 Reply

the internet was a pretty punk rock place in the 1990's/early 2000s, wasn't it? let's go back to that.

crazy? i'm not crazy. i'm a table.

BBS Signature
QArtsMedia
QArtsMedia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 16:51:09 Reply

There is someone we have helped out over the years. She is unique and very talented. Very different from the main stream and very much upcoming in her field. She is going to be putting a new and very powerful album out in 2017 and we are proud to be creating an animated music video for her. Some of her older work can be heard on her site(which we created, (the site that is)) http://amaragracemusic.com The point here being that new and different creatives are very much out there, all we have to do is look in the small places to find the next avant garde artist in any field. New Grounds is one of those places, but more places do exist. And like many artists who go unnoticed, we just have to look for them, that is all.
The pic is artwork from her upcoming music video "Gift to be Alive" from the "Let Live" Album. Out in 2017
We will let you know when it all comes together and you can witness the rise of a unique star.

Some 2016 Closing Thoughts

QArtsMedia
QArtsMedia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 17:00:05 Reply

Hey here is another thought..... With all the talent here why not make a short animated video explaining newgrounds or at least an exciting teaser trailer montage type of thing and put it out there on Youtube or where ever.... Advertising is never a bad thing.

Ferrantelli
Ferrantelli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Game Developer
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 17:01:35 Reply

At 12/26/16 07:46 PM, TomFulp wrote: Or @Ferrantelli, who makes cooler games in 48 hours than most people make in their lives and he's only 19!

Wow thank you so much Tom ! This website is a true gem for years now, the community is awesome and it's a big part of our gamer and/or developer life !

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Movie Buff

Hope you had a peaceful christmas, Tom.

Edgy art still gets made, the mediums are just more fractured now I think, but the most challenging and original artists were never the most commercially successful or popular.

My favourite active band right now is Death Grips, experimental hip hop with a lot of rock influence that results in some of the catchiest, darkest, most unique music going right now. They're not incomparable to NIN in how they took inaccessible industrial style music and softened it with more conventional rock, DG do the same with their own esoteric style and more familiar hip hop production techniques. David Bowie actually cited DG as one of the main influences for his final album which explains its ambitious weirdness a bit. They have a sort of DIY sensibility that's really inspiring too.

Danny Brown also dropped an album in september that's full of originality and isn't watered down for the sake of accessibility (try the songs "Tell Me What I Don't Know" and "Dance in the Water" if you have time), but of course because of that you wont hear any of this stuff on the radio. I've been listening to more hip hop than anything else in recent years just because that's the genre with the highest concentration of weirdness and ambition right now.

As for other formats, so many excellent films came out this year. My favourite so far has been The Lobster, completely fucking bizarre premise, masterful execution that manages to be both extremely bleak and genuinely hilarious. And I haven't even scratched the surface of all the movies released this year. The doors have never been more wide open for people who want to make truly unique stuff.

Gaming has never been more varied and challenging (challenging in subject not literal game difficulty) than it is now, too. For the first time you can have short, one-off game concepts and stories that don't have to lean heavily into repetitive gameplay tropes or worry about a lack of content. Also consider how huge Dark Souls is now, on paper that game shouldn't be popular at all when it's so vague and inaccessible, and demands so much from the player. That's just how things are now, it doesn't matter how niche it is, if done well there will be a fan base for it.

Tl;dr from here

So the edge is certainly there, it just takes a bit more effort to find because you do have to look for it. If I didn't pay any attention to film this year and only knew about Rogue One, Zootopia, Captain America etc. I'd think it's been exceptionally boring, I wouldn't have connected with any music if I only had the mainstream. But having dug a bit deeper... I think it's immeasurable how brilliant every art form is right now, at least imo. I'm constantly having my mind blown.

Someone threw a few mentos into the proverbial coke bottle of pop culture when the internet became a sustainable platform for high quality content. The mainstream (the stuff that's still sitting at the bottom of the bottle if we're sticking with that) has never been more stale, but you just need to look up at what's splattered all over the walls. The barriers for entry and for limitations are almost gone entirely.

Internet content on the other hand I do feel has been blunted very recently, thanks mainly to youtube favouring certain types of content, and hasn't bounced back just yet. If NG could become known as a place for work like A Prank Time, to contrast an internet full of gameplay, cringe compilations, react channels and whatever else, that's certainly a place I would support.

BBS Signature
Fluffington
Fluffington
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 18:00:35 Reply

Cheers! Here's hoping that 2017 will be a good year.

Wolod
Wolod
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Game Developer
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 18:09:43 Reply

You're right. The grass was much greener back then. But I believe that Newgrounds will rise again like phoenix from the ashes. Happy New Year!

CoolBerries
CoolBerries
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Musician
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 18:18:32 Reply

At 12/27/16 12:31 AM, NekoMika wrote: 2016 has been a wild ride on and off of Newgrounds for me. I am glad I can still call this place home. If I hear good music or see something good on here, I get like.. idk, super excited and want to show my friends and let them know it was from Newgrounds. I've also gotten to know a few good friends even better now than before the year really started, (@Bit, @rinnythekitty, @CoolBerries, Porkchop, @YumToxic, @CatOfSnow, most of the mod team, and some others.)

Thanks for letting me be part of the mod team and part of the Newgrounds family as always Tom, here's to hoping 2017 is even better than 2016 was! <3

thanks for the shoutout, it's been fun and I'm glad we've been able to hang out, you're p chill (insert all cliche emojis that fit with that word including the ok hand, fire symbol, underlined 100, and crying in laughter face) hope '17 will be even better.

Dox the president, not the mods.

BBS Signature
BoMToons
BoMToons
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Game Developer
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 19:55:15 Reply

Your newspost reminded me of a book I read in 2009 and a blog post I made comparing the book to Newgrounds:

http://bomtoons.newgrounds.com/news/post/296425

Do you think modern NG has shifted focus from "authenticity" to "virtuosity?"

CrashGen
CrashGen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 22:21:50 Reply

Pretty neat thoughts, , new grounds is the best site I ever found for creating, such cool people hear. I think new grounds will be popular one day if not remembered forever.

stretchypants123
stretchypants123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 22:23:42 Reply

I'm here. I still remember a lot of legacy works on this site. Most were brilliant at the very least. Thinking back, would i want to revert back to the 90s when things were more upbeat? I probably wouldn't because things were still heavily censored then. Cheers.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 22:41:18 Reply

At 12/27/16 07:55 PM, BoMToons wrote: Your newspost reminded me of a book I read in 2009 and a blog post I made comparing the book to Newgrounds:

http://bomtoons.newgrounds.com/news/post/296425

Do you think modern NG has shifted focus from "authenticity" to "virtuosity?"

Maybe we can be authentic virtuosos? I dunno I gotta think about this one.

BBS Signature
NekoMika
NekoMika
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Musician
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-27 23:28:41 Reply

Of that note, I do want to say thank you to @YumToxic and @Wick3dRabbit for letting me collaborate with them on some awesome stuff. Here's to more collabs in 2017, would love to try writing for more content or helping with music. >w<

Request Reviews // #8 Reviewer // #2 Audio Reviewer
Audio / Review Moderator - PM with problems or questions

BBS Signature
SuperLME
SuperLME
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-28 00:25:41 Reply

At 12/26/16 07:46 PM, TomFulp wrote:

That's deep, Tom

Zhon
Zhon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Artist
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-28 01:48:55 Reply

This is kind of a weird outlook I think, but throughout the years, I've really lost touch with the side of my life that was obsessed with the internet. I went to college, got into a serious relationship, got a steady job, had a kid, and through all that, I stopped doing The Things one by one, and most of them either disappeared or forgot about me. But I always come back to Newgrounds. Facebook and Newgrounds are the only sites I visit every single day, and I only get on Facebook to see the pics my wife posts of our daughter.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Newgrounds is some bomb shit.

Also, fuck 2016.

Duck.

Zero2562130
Zero2562130
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-28 03:58:35 Reply

At 12/26/16 07:46 PM, TomFulp wrote: This past year David Bowie, Prince and George Michael died and I think the reason people are so upset isn't just because these people are so legendary, it's because they can't imagine current pop stars ever being so legendary. Our modern stars feel like emulations of the classics, or like The Force Awakens, everyone and everything nowadays feels a little too safe and familiar.

It makes me wonder, what IS edgy and cool now, because my attention isn't won by the same things as when I was a teenager in the 90s. What really won my attention this year was the people who just went above and beyond with their craft, which is why @Jaime-R feels so legendary because he made A Prank Time. I was also in awe of @PaperbagAnimator and @Kieran-s this year and I like how @Nutcasenightmare continues to make thoughtful games that present issues in a way that is fun to absorb while also showing off some impressive HTML5 chops. This stuff is enjoyed on multiple levels.

I was reading a Trent Reznor interview about rock music and his closing quote struck me: “But it’s not saying much either. Again, this is a blanket statement, this is certainly not including everything, there’s sure good stuff out there, but in general, I’m not blown away by 5 records a month, like, ‘Man, that’s speaking to me.’ Everything feels a bit tame, it feels a lot like something else that’s happened, polite. I think that some of the tastemaker elements, certainly the hipster arena, has leaned towards the praising of gentle familiar R&B twee pop stuff. A lot of what’s blessed as ‘the cool thing’ feels pretty generic, and also feels, a lot of it, like a desperate plea for commercial airplay and success, as there are fewer and fewer avenues for any bands to break out of obscurity these days.”

Newgrounds has been working hard to break interesting people out of obscurity for years now but the hardest part is that NG itself hasn't been able to break out of obscurity. My hope for Newgrounds is that it becomes so consistently INTERESTING that people have to take notice. We need to be our own unique pop culture.

I'd try to come up with a more ra ra closing to this post but I'm out of time at the moment and if I don't click POST I have a feeling I'll never actually post this, like many times in the past when I ramble out some thoughts and decide to save them for later. So I'll just remind everyone that we have a great Supporter upgrade that can go a long way towards improving the site and empowering the people who share their work here! Thank you everyone who has given support so far.

Also apologies in advance to all the amazing artists, developers and musicians I didn't name in this post; it was a quick stream of conscious thing and I'll regret not naming tons of people later. Like how about @aalong64 with Sublo & Tangy Mustard #4, every animator will find frames to study in that one. Or @Ferrantelli, who makes cooler games in 48 hours than most people make in their lives and he's only 19!

I guess my point is that the greatest people I know are right here on Newgrounds and I don't have to look elsewhere for idols. Sometimes it can make you feel crazy that the rest of the world doesn't see what you see but I know a lot of you do, so I just hope we keep getting louder in 2017 and beyond. RA RA!

What's considered edgy and cool now is still the same stuff that was considered the same in the 90's and 2000's. The difference is that the majority react to it negatively by stating that is harmful, racist, meaningless, etc. The things that made Newgrounds interesting to begin with was the edgy content that lampooned, satirized, or simply made light of tragic events, and you and the rest of your ilk have done everything in your power to remove this glorious USP, going so far as to erase NG history by deleting Flash movies that have copyrighted music out of a fear that some equally dickless media mogul might whine about a song from 2000 that his company owns being used in a cartoon from 2001. Hell, you even removed the Anita Sarkeesian Assassin game out of a hunch that she and her associates made it to fan the flames Feminist Frequency generated with the initial fallacious video, without, evidently, even considering the possibility that the heart from the beast can be stolen if you just left it on the site and considered it to be business as usual: Just another idiot no greater than any other one the site getting the shit kicked out of them in some way, shape, or form.

Tl, dr, you dug your own grave when you decided to gut Newgrounds of its USPs in the pursuit of profit while vainly attempting to compete with YouTube.

And since I know at least one person is going to bring it up: No, Madness Combat does not represent the edgy content that built NG from day one; blood and violence doesn't mean anything when it's being performed by ugly, faceless creatures against other ugly, faceless creatures.

BBS Signature
SCwzf
SCwzf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-28 05:13:35 Reply

still remember the old times that NG was so damn great and,its not time for it to fall ,we shall make NG greater than before

slaughterMYdaughter
slaughterMYdaughter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Melancholy
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-28 05:50:17 Reply

Man Everyday seems more and more detached from ng history I'm sure it makes events like pixel or pico day all the more fun for the next front to make waves it's probably best to just be stingier with it D:

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Some 2016 Closing Thoughts 2016-12-28 09:20:50 Reply

im a firm believer that donald trump will re-invest in coal and macromedia flash and this country will truly be great again. I look forward to making flash websites again.

None