The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Writer
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-20 04:18:48 Reply

At 12/19/16 12:04 PM, TomFulp wrote: I also hope many new people will join the party in 2017. The web got really fractured and lots of talented people don't even know NG exists. When you find someone you like, make sure they know they would be welcome here!

The web didn't become fractured. It changed because it became marketable, it is no longer the wild west like back in the old days. Content is harder and harder to push for and creative people can't always keep up. I keep saying that animators and game developers need to be acting more like producers than one man armies. There are a lot of skillful people here who can come together and make wonderful things.

However bringing in new people is not that easy. It's kind of hard to sell this site without it becoming overwhelming.

Wiesi
Wiesi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-20 05:47:31 Reply

The new frontpage is looking great!!

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 57
Writer
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-20 06:03:36 Reply

At 12/19/16 11:38 PM, BlueAlpha14 wrote:
At 12/19/16 11:13 PM, NekoMika wrote:
At 12/19/16 10:04 PM, BlueAlpha14 wrote: What if it's a specifically no copyrighted track? Do we still need to ask?
Do you mean to upload or to do a cover / remix of?

If it is the former, will be banned for it. If it is the latter, it should be fine. :)
I feel stupid for asking but what is "former" and "latter"?

Do you mean if you need to ask for permission to use a non-copyright track in a submission? If so, no you don't; you don't need to credit the author either if it really is entirely copyright-free, though it's good courtesy to do so anyway. As for asking, most artists would be happy to know when their audio's used, so a message is appreciated regardless. If that's not what you were wondering though: what NekoMika said.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 57
Writer

At 12/19/16 08:47 PM, Jackho wrote: I think I have some internet impermanence anxiety (I literally came up with that term as I was typing it, where's my PhD at) in that I panic a bit if things I like might disappear forever even when it's menial garbage that no one else remembers or cares about.

I don't want to see anything disappear either, no matter how menial content it was. Majorly depressing when users voluntarily delete their stuff in particular, since that wouldn't have had to happen at all. Feels like people underestimate thee value of their contributions, no matter how arbitrary, be it posts or reviews or whatever. Would be sad to see even stuff like old crew/group/syndicate spam disappear, and ditto for the new crap, in time all of it'll be a legacy in its own way. As for that impermanence anxiety (cool term), maybe our collection instinct coupled with a fear of change? It's in our genes...

lwyzlwyz
lwyzlwyz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-20 06:47:03 Reply

Just saw the new FP.
Looks great...
Except there's no (color)indication which submissions I've already checked.
Please, please fix that.
Also, can we please have the option of loading the favorite artists feed by pages instead of the infinite scrolling?

LucidShadowDreamer
LucidShadowDreamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 17
Musician
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-20 07:13:07 Reply

At 12/19/16 12:28 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Yes, covers should only be done with permission. It's a bummer but the music industry is what it is, which is why it's best to keep it far away from NG.

Uploading folk song covers is probably still fine though, right? Considering their age, and the fact that they're not licensed, nor do I think it's even legal to licence them.

In other news, I'm loving @pennilessragamuffin's art for the site skin :)

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-20 07:31:15 Reply

At 12/19/16 10:04 PM, BlueAlpha14 wrote: What if it's a specifically no copyrighted track? Do we still need to ask?

You don't need to ask if it's specified as a no copyright track.

This is the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-20 07:36:38 Reply

At 12/20/16 01:31 AM, Pjorg wrote: Just wanted to say thanks to @pennilessragamuffin for including Peck and Coach in the banner! This was a really wonderful surprise. IDK whose idea it was to do all OC from this past year but I like the idea a lot. It works nicely as a quick year end recap. I think its smart to keep building up the next generation of creators in little ways like this. Keeps the site fresh. Also a certain 3rd installment of a certain series is in the works and this has been a nice boost of motivation so thanks

The goal is to keep reflecting recent original content in the site skins, like we did with the past few site skins that were based on our summer animation jams. It was also noted that a feature to link all the characters to their respective animations would be really handy, although I could also just make a credits list with links.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-20 07:41:30 Reply

At 12/20/16 07:13 AM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote: Uploading folk song covers is probably still fine though, right? Considering their age, and the fact that they're not licensed, nor do I think it's even legal to licence them.

If the song composition is in the public domain, that would be fine. We would actually benefit a lot from easy to find classical music, orchestra, Christmas music etc. - people can still get in trouble when they use old classics that have been performed by modern orchestras.

BBS Signature
LucidShadowDreamer
LucidShadowDreamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 17
Musician

At 12/20/16 07:41 AM, TomFulp wrote:
If the song composition is in the public domain, that would be fine. We would actually benefit a lot from easy to find classical music, orchestra, Christmas music etc. - people can still get in trouble when they use old classics that have been performed by modern orchestras.

Thank you for your quick reply! I asked since I could see myself uploading something which aptly fits a paricular season, or celebration (such as "Happy Birthday" - which finally has unlicensed lyrics as well - Traditional Christmas Carols/Songs, etc).

If I ever cover anything of that sort in the future though, I'll make sure it causes no trouble for the site, and all that ^ ^

BenjaminTibbetts
BenjaminTibbetts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Musician
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-20 10:02:31 Reply

I love the look of the new Front Page! And beautiful work on the wall art, @PennilessRagamuffin (now following).

BBS Signature
SouthernShotty
SouthernShotty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Filmmaker
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-20 11:10:18 Reply

I'm excited for this years goals! I've been indulging in Newgrounds since '07 I think? Made a real effort this year to post, share, and promote. I really love the community here and I've learned a lot from it! Soon as I get my car situation in order hoping to be a supporter.

ChillyCheese
ChillyCheese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-20 12:27:58 Reply

Speaking of animation Jams, any chance on more of those?

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-20 12:38:55 Reply

At 12/20/16 12:27 PM, ChillyCheese wrote: Speaking of animation Jams, any chance on more of those?

We could have one over the Christmas break. Any theme suggestions?

BBS Signature
ChillyCheese
ChillyCheese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-20 13:05:53 Reply

At 12/20/16 12:38 PM, TomFulp wrote: We could have one over the Christmas break. Any theme suggestions?

That would be rad.

As for themes I'm drawing blanks. Winter is the obvious low hanging fruit, but would still make a decent theme. Anything else I can think of would fall under that category, snowball fight, snowman, Santa yadda yadda. Then of course some of the other challenges were more "animation" themed rather than seasonal, like the loop challenge.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-20 14:15:02 Reply

At 12/20/16 01:05 PM, ChillyCheese wrote:
At 12/20/16 12:38 PM, TomFulp wrote: We could have one over the Christmas break. Any theme suggestions?
That would be rad.

As for themes I'm drawing blanks. Winter is the obvious low hanging fruit, but would still make a decent theme. Anything else I can think of would fall under that category, snowball fight, snowman, Santa yadda yadda. Then of course some of the other challenges were more "animation" themed rather than seasonal, like the loop challenge.

What about "You're the Coolest" where they gotta animate a character that's TOTALLY COOL.

New FP & Some Goals for 2017

BBS Signature
ZStriefel
ZStriefel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Audiophile
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-20 14:51:51 Reply

I love the new FP look and very excited to hear about the plans for NG moving forward esp for the AP, that's great to hear :D

ChillyCheese
ChillyCheese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-20 16:47:41 Reply

At 12/20/16 02:15 PM, TomFulp wrote:
What about "You're the Coolest" where they gotta animate a character that's TOTALLY COOL.

bruh thats lit af. I'd be hella dizzle fam.

New FP & Some Goals for 2017

nggangsterpimp
nggangsterpimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-20 16:56:53 Reply

That front page is gorgeous. It has a very clean simple look about it. It makes the site feels less cluttered.

"EXTERMINATE!" -Daleks, Doctor who

urbfilms
urbfilms
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-20 18:13:09 Reply

The frontpage looks really nice on my phone. I like it!

Hello, Hola, Bonjour
Yeah, that's it. Those are all the ways I can say hello. I don't know anymore languages.

BBS Signature
Theepicosity
Theepicosity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-20 19:33:39 Reply

Well, about the Flash usage thing, my audio is all for allowing commercial uses, but I marked that with the intent that everyone can use it. Could you rename the commercial usage thing, or add a new button altogether?

hitman1993
hitman1993
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-20 21:26:15 Reply

I've been here for nearly ten years now, although I'm not nearly as active as I once was, but I still think Newgrounds is the best website on the internet and it has always pained me how criminally unknown this place is. Newgrounds is unlike anywhere else on the web and I hope it continues running for many, many years.

Here's to another great year of quality original content by the dozens of extremely talented people who support this site and our incredible lord and master, Tom Fulp.

I love you all.

BBS Signature
Zerksisms
Zerksisms
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 04
Animator
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-21 00:15:22 Reply

At 12/19/16 12:04 PM, TomFulp wrote: We just launched our new front page, complete with a holiday site skin by @PennilessRagamuffin! This skin features original characters who appeared on the front page in 2016. Can you name every movie they're from?

If you browse the new front page on mobile, everything should display much better and every piece of content listed should work on your phone.

2017 Goals for Audio on NG

As some of you are aware, we've been cracking down really hard on the use of unlicensed music. The existence of unlicensed music is a big liability and could result in having to pull the plug on NG if we don't keep it in check.

We created the Audio Portal in 2003 as a resource for animators and game developers to collaborate with musicians and voice actors. In the early years, it was generally assumed that if you uploaded your music to NG, people could freely use it in their projects. Over time, as YouTubers and developers for mobile and Steam games started poking around, we expanded on how musicians could manage their music rights. As a result it has become gradually harder for someone to quickly and easily find a song they can use, especially if they are too shy to ask / don't want to wait for a response.

In 2017 we intend to make it easier for musicians to specify when their music can be freely used in content that will be uploaded to NG and we intend to make it easier for animators and developers to browse that music specifically.

We also compiled a list of free music resources, in case the Audio Portal doesn't have what you're looking for.

Animators and game developers, please note the "Credits & Roles" tab in your project settings. Use this to credit every song used in your submission, so moderators don't have to ask when they aren't sure. We have changes in mind to make this process more clear so that less people overlook it and we can better enforce it.

We have added a specific flagging option for when you discover unlicensed music in animation and games. You might feel like you're ratting someone out but the important thing to remember is that person chose to use a song without permission rather than prop up another independent artist and they are putting NG in danger because of that decision.

This has always been the dream for NG; talented individuals coming together to make awesome stuff. We need to lift each other up while showing the world something they've never seen or heard before.

That is my big resolution for 2017: to ensure that Newgrounds is a place where you come for the NEW, not the familiar. This means more work to enforce the rules and also more work to encourage collaboration.

Take Stay Positive, for example. If you enjoy it, you can follow the animator OR the musician. You can PM them and tell them how much you like their work, or leave a review. That's what it's all about and that's what we should all want more of.

I also hope many new people will join the party in 2017. The web got really fractured and lots of talented people don't even know NG exists. When you find someone you like, make sure they know they would be welcome here!

To be honest, I'm going to type a good amount of things about this and it may sound a bit scattered, I love newgrounds. I take so much interest in the community. I love seeing how inspiring creators are. I've chatted with @Chluaid through twitch and other social medias. It's crazy to see how many artists constantly keep up with timing. And working at different parts of the internet to connect. I see newgrounds as that place where you can talk to people freely. You may think no one cares, when out of no where you get responses it may take a while, but everyone is trying their hardest to manage the time and keep up in the hussle of working on making a dream happen and shit this site seriously hits me. I love seeing creative people get together talk about whatever and learn and grow! Communication in everyday to day, sometimes drags, but newgrounds always has a personalized touch of, we are different, we are constantly changing and working are asses off. I just have to say to tom I can see your goals, and making them happen. It maybe so slow sometimes, and an intense roller coaster, These goals are possible and can happen by word of mouth and pure connection why not hit people hard with a wide spread animation shoutout!? Get as many possible people to just collab again. Let's hit a world record as a community or something shit I think we can make it happen :D

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 57
Writer
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-21 05:32:08 Reply

At 12/20/16 07:33 PM, Theepicosity wrote: Well, about the Flash usage thing, my audio is all for allowing commercial uses, but I marked that with the intent that everyone can use it. Could you rename the commercial usage thing, or add a new button altogether?

If you don't check the Creative Commons box at all, you should also get the option that "Artists and developers may freely use this for their web-based games and movies." Maybe that's what you're looking for?

Though the default license works for everyone too, those check boxes are just 'additional' rights.

Psychopath
Psychopath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 51
Blank Slate
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-21 07:06:16 Reply

I foresee that the end times are upon us.

Psychopath
Psychopath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 51
Blank Slate
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-21 08:04:53 Reply

Oh God, all of Knox's dub parodies have been removed.

Goddamn it, Wayback Machine, work for me!

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-21 09:01:46 Reply

At 12/20/16 09:26 PM, hitman1993 wrote: I love you all.

Thanks <3

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 57
Writer
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-21 09:35:37 Reply

At 12/21/16 08:04 AM, Psychopath wrote: Oh God, all of Knox's dub parodies have been removed.

Now that's pretty depressing. :/ Fond memories there. Seems one of my all-time favorites Till Death Do Us Part disappeared too...

When the Wayback fails, there's always YT!

Psychopath
Psychopath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 51
Blank Slate

At 12/21/16 09:35 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 12/21/16 08:04 AM, Psychopath wrote: Oh God, all of Knox's dub parodies have been removed.

Now that's pretty depressing. :/ Fond memories there. Seems one of my all-time favorites Till Death Do Us Part disappeared too...

When the Wayback fails, there's always YT!

Fuck that, I want my SWFs, damn it!

@TomFulp, maybe you could set it up so only Supporters can see movies that have been removed because of their use of copyrighted music? That would mean that only premium members would get to see it and it'd be out of sight of big music labels.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to New FP & Some Goals for 2017 2016-12-21 10:34:49 Reply

At 12/21/16 09:52 AM, Psychopath wrote: @TomFulp, maybe you could set it up so only Supporters can see movies that have been removed because of their use of copyrighted music? That would mean that only premium members would get to see it and it'd be out of sight of big music labels.

Then we'd be selling access to known copyrighted content and could probably go to jail.

BBS Signature