00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

B0ss3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Obscure Word

452 Views | 19 Replies

Obscure Word 2016-12-13 01:14:11

I've heard the word before but I can't remember it and searches haven't yielded any results for me, but I an describe it.

There's a particular word for people that imagine themselves in painful scenarios, they see someone in a movie getting shot, or having their arm chopped off and then imagine it in their heads. There is a term for this and I can't remember what it is, has anyone ever heard of this before? No, it's not empathy, there's a specific term for this sort of thing.

BBS Signature

Response to Obscure Word 2016-12-13 01:24:07

At 12/13/16 01:21 AM, Zornuzkull wrote: Empathetic...

As the last line of my post said it's not empathy, there's a specific term for watching something painful and imagining what it's like to go through that, or dreaming up a painful scenario yourself, the word isn't empathy, it's more specific in this case.

BBS Signature

Response to Obscure Word 2016-12-13 01:30:38

At 12/13/16 01:26 AM, Zornuzkull wrote:
I didn't say empathy I said empathetic...

That's just a form of empathy, and again, not the word, it's not empathy with a different suffix.

BBS Signature

Response to Obscure Word 2016-12-13 01:38:27

At 12/13/16 01:34 AM, Zornuzkull wrote:
Fine It's synaesthesia genius...

Mirror touch synesthesia is on the right track, but that's about feeling the actual pain, the word I'm looking for purely describes the thought or mental picturing of the pain or ordeal.

BBS Signature

Response to Obscure Word 2016-12-13 01:59:35

At 12/13/16 01:42 AM, Zornuzkull wrote:
Are doing a cross word puzzle? You know your not supposed to cheat...
Schadenfreude and synesthesia are all I can think of...

No, the fucking word popped into my head then decided to flee my thoughts, so I'm trying desperately to uncover its name.

BBS Signature

Response to Obscure Word 2016-12-13 12:41:48

contact-pain

Response to Obscure Word 2016-12-13 13:01:39

At 12/13/16 02:41 AM, Sekhem wrote:
there's probably a medical/more specific term

Yeah there is, and that's the word I'm looking for; sleeping on this didn't yield any results :(

BBS Signature

Response to Obscure Word 2016-12-14 08:25:30

At 12/13/16 01:14 AM, Ganon-Dorf wrote: There's a particular word for people that imagine themselves in painful scenarios, they see someone in a movie getting shot, or having their arm chopped off and then imagine it in their heads.

It would probably help if you told us if the person imagining this is doing so of their own free will because they derive some sot of pleasure/enjoyment out of it, or if they do it because they can't control it and simply imagine themselves dying like fictional characters.

I doubt it's this but just in case, masochist?

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to Obscure Word 2016-12-14 19:16:27

At 12/14/16 08:25 AM, Radaketor wrote: It would probably help if you told us if the person imagining this is doing so of their own free will because they derive some sot of pleasure/enjoyment out of it, or if they do it because they can't control it and simply imagine themselves dying like fictional characters.

I doubt it's this but just in case, masochist?

Nope, they are doing it of their own free will, but it's not for pleasure, it's more of an exercise in curiosity or morbid fascination. There is a medical term for it I think, but again, I still haven't found the word and I've only heard it once before.

BBS Signature

Response to Obscure Word 2016-12-15 01:32:47

Ow

Response to Obscure Word 2016-12-15 13:04:52

Immerse.

You're immersing yourself into television in the example you provided.

BBS Signature

Response to Obscure Word 2016-12-15 15:01:24

At 12/15/16 02:34 PM, SolidPantsSnake wrote:
Are you writing an article or short story?

Nope, just crossed my mind one day, was a really weird thought then I remembered that I'd heard of a term to describe it.

@Alias not that word unfortunately, I think it's an actual medical term, or maybe it's a made up word I just saw on Facebook one day and now I'm desperately trying to find it.

BBS Signature

Response to Obscure Word 2016-12-15 15:20:55

I'd like to solve the puzzle, please!

Psychosomatic!

Happily ETS'd.

BBS Signature

Response to Obscure Word 2016-12-15 15:27:39

At 12/15/16 03:20 PM, TailsPrower wrote: I'd like to solve the puzzle, please!

Psychosomatic!

It's not of your own free will if it's psychosomatic

Response to Obscure Word 2016-12-15 16:58:16

At 12/15/16 01:35 AM, Sekhem wrote: not to denigrate myself or the ng userbase, but it's not the most academic place

I don't feel bad about it and I'll go ahead and say it. Newgrounds, like many other websites on the Internet, is filled with a great percentage of people suffering from severe Dunning-Kruger effect.

You'll notice this especially with anyone who feels the need to chime in some negative remark about the college-educated (because they themselves were not college-educated, and likely not even high-school educated), yet they consider their knowledge and expertise to be better than that of actual experts, whom they will argue endlessly with. This will also "prove" (only in their minds) that they were "right" since the college-educated expert they are arguing with indeed now will look down on them (not because they lack college education -- their erroneous cognitive-biased reasoning as to the "why", but, rather because when one speaks from a position of pure ignorance, those who have the requisite knowledge see right through it, but unfortunately others may not, so they may mislead some.)

Put it this way. A college education isn't going to guarantee you'll get better people, but the averages will be better because it does serve at the very least as a very basic intelligence filter. The average college-educated person has a higher intelligence than the average person who lacks a college education. You can also filter further based on difficulty of degree and also how far they went and how prestigious of an institution they earned their degrees from.

Again, averages though. So that's not to say you won't have people even who lack any education who are more intelligent than anyone else, or that you won't have some educated idiot, but the averages say these filters do lead to a higher caliber of people.

Also some forums do grant authority/etc based on actual rank and academic achievement. So if some idiot was arguing with a professor, the professor could ban them, for example, if he was actually registered as what he says he was, and showed proof.

I both like and dislike that model though, and here's why. I like that model in the fact that it eliminates a lot of the stupidity you'll otherwise encounter by granting actual perks to higher IRL rank. I dislike that model in the fact that, if you are to prove who you actually are in enough detail such that they know and have proof of your actual qualifications, you forfeit a lot of privacy rights, which are also valuable. And it would be very difficult to implement such a system anonymously, which would be the ideal.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Obscure Word 2016-12-16 02:33:41

At 12/15/16 03:20 PM, TailsPrower wrote: I'd like to solve the puzzle, please!

Psychosomatic!

Nope! although this is close, the user above @civilies showed why it isn't psychosomatic.

Maybe I'm doomed to never find this word.

BBS Signature

Response to Obscure Word 2016-12-16 03:01:45

At 12/16/16 02:33 AM, Ganon-Dorf wrote: Nope! although this is close, the user above @civilies showed why it isn't psychosomatic.

Maybe I'm doomed to never find this word.

Eh, I figured that such a response was not required to be willful. Good luck finding that elusive word.

Happily ETS'd.

BBS Signature

Response to Obscure Word 2016-12-16 22:33:27

Mirror-touch synesthesia??

Sometimes when people scratch their nails against a chalk board, or something to that effect; I can feel pain in my teeth cavities..idk why that is

Are you not Entertained ?!?

BBS Signature

Response to Obscure Word 2016-12-17 00:44:46

At 12/13/16 01:14 AM, Ganon-Dorf wrote: I've heard the word before but I can't remember it and searches haven't yielded any results for me, but I an describe it.

There's a particular word for people that imagine themselves in painful scenarios, they see someone in a movie getting shot, or having their arm chopped off and then imagine it in their heads. There is a term for this and I can't remember what it is, has anyone ever heard of this before? No, it's not empathy, there's a specific term for this sort of thing.

I would sugggest "the

YET 'BEFORE BUTHowver,'
it creates and anticipation in the tone that some thing might occur yet thereore Can it occur or it it that I'm jsstt a hyppie stuck in a te warp?? An engyptian neck tye as oppsed to a brazillian neck tye is a snaske around our your head, when the fools closest springs greeen, MY WEb SITE IS KUNG FU SANTA FE, So Rob Died becasue I had Sanata FLOGGED. The Devil Stod Behind my grnadmother as we connected the grip opc, So I senerioied ARM's FIrst Mission: MIssion Make Christian Contacts.

12 Chapter Calling,
It feeels GOOOD.

To be of such little imprtance that I was neevr,
subtracted from the planted earth,
If you want the fire,
It's beliongs to the Ion Tiger,
NeXXXXILE<_____________IT'S LIKEA CONSTRUCTION BEEE, on YtA tHE buILD THE lABS. my lAB LEAVL iS sTEALTx%xxxxmINUSOmOEESHOTATsUCIDE, yOGGY wHYdOpEOPLESMOKEi DUNNOboboonoBUT i WOULDN'T DO IT THE IF i WE"re YOU.....

James 4:6 6But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: "God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble."

Response to Obscure Word 2016-12-17 05:51:54

At 12/17/16 12:44 AM, Xzuber8 wrote: I would sugggest "the

YET 'BEFORE BUTHowver,'
it creates and anticipation in the tone that some thing might occur yet thereore Can it occur or it it that I'm jsstt a hyppie stuck in a te warp?? An engyptian neck tye as oppsed to a brazillian neck tye is a snaske around our your head, when the fools closest springs greeen, MY WEb SITE IS KUNG FU SANTA FE, So Rob Died becasue I had Sanata FLOGGED. The Devil Stod Behind my grnadmother as we connected the grip opc, So I senerioied ARM's FIrst Mission: MIssion Make Christian Contacts.

12 Chapter Calling,
It feeels GOOOD.

To be of such little imprtance that I was neevr,
subtracted from the planted earth,
If you want the fire,
It's beliongs to the Ion Tiger,
NeXXXXILE<_____________IT'S LIKEA CONSTRUCTION BEEE, on YtA tHE buILD THE lABS. my lAB LEAVL iS sTEALTx%xxxxmINUSOmOEESHOTATsUCIDE, yOGGY wHYdOpEOPLESMOKEi DUNNOboboonoBUT i WOULDN'T DO IT THE IF i WE"re YOU.....

.....Are you having a stroke right now? That had nothing to do with the question, made literally no sense and was 98% unreadable. No points.

Anyway, only word(s) that comes to mind is "hyper-empathetic synesthesia"

I was born ready. My eyelashes, alas, were not.

BBS Signature