00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kkolo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What happened to Scrotum?

2,867 Views | 43 Replies

What happened to Scrotum? 2016-12-03 21:45:04

I know what's with Brian Beaton, just why is the entire series down? I only just saw this when I was ready for some more of an ugly constantly dying dog, and now it's just gone. ?

"I was born... out of the greediness of mankind. While men exist, so will I... BLAAAGGHHH!!" - Bacterion

Response to What happened to Scrotum? 2016-12-03 21:55:08

What the fuck are we talking about?

Response to What happened to Scrotum? 2016-12-03 21:56:07

"ERROR — This project has been removed by the Newgrounds moderation team."

Wow probably because the copyrighted music...

this is the end of NG it has no integrity anymore...

omg no
(I don't even think all of the episodes are on youtube)

"I was born... out of the greediness of mankind. While men exist, so will I... BLAAAGGHHH!!" - Bacterion

Response to What happened to Scrotum? 2016-12-03 21:56:48

At 12/3/16 09:55 PM, NightRaid-NG wrote: What the fuck are we talking about?

The series. They were famous for (technically) being the very first submission to the flash portal.

Response to What happened to Scrotum? 2016-12-03 22:03:32

At 12/3/16 09:56 PM, DoubleDenial wrote:
The series. They were famous for (technically) being the very first submission to the flash portal.

Ballsack the show?

Response to What happened to Scrotum? 2016-12-03 22:16:44

At 12/3/16 10:14 PM, Zornuzkull wrote: Someone must have archived this stuff somewhere...

It's probably lost forever. It's for the best that we give up hope now and move on to more important things...

I turn water into water

BBS Signature

It's crazy; I keep seeing different threads of these old animations being removed. :< I didn't really watch any of them since I was really young in the early days of Newgrounds, but it still sucks that it's happening.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to Scrotum? 2016-12-04 03:45:22

@TomFulp, maybe you could shed some light on this...

Response to What happened to Scrotum? 2016-12-04 09:36:03

At 12/4/16 03:45 AM, Bit wrote: @TomFulp, maybe you could shed some light on this...

Had to remove it for the sake of being thorough on copyrighted music. Hoping we can get it updated but not sure if the FLA files are still around.

As for "NG losing it's integrity" as mentioned above, it's either this or shut the entire site down.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to Scrotum? 2016-12-04 10:36:31

At 12/4/16 09:36 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/4/16 03:45 AM, Bit wrote: @TomFulp, maybe you could shed some light on this...
Had to remove it for the sake of being thorough on copyrighted music. Hoping we can get it updated but not sure if the FLA files are still around.

As for "NG losing it's integrity" as mentioned above, it's either this or shut the entire site down.

but there is barely any music in it but anyway i have found it http://uploads.ungrounded.net//0//1_scrotum1.swf

Response to What happened to Scrotum? 2016-12-04 10:42:25

At 12/4/16 10:36 AM, KMatrix11 wrote:

but there is barely any music in it but anyway i have found it http://uploads.ungrounded.net//0//1_scrotum1.swf

Just a warning, if people start linking to backed-up content, we'll have to start deleting the backups too.

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to Scrotum? 2016-12-04 10:51:12

Just a warning, if people start linking to backed-up content, we'll have to start deleting the backups too.

oh god but what happened man? i mean Newgrounds used to be a haven of quality content..... and now its just a shadow of its former self. @tomfulp maybe you can talk to the owner of the copyrighted music to negotiate something

Response to What happened to Scrotum? 2016-12-04 10:55:52

At 12/4/16 10:51 AM, KMatrix11 wrote:

oh god but what happened man? i mean Newgrounds used to be a haven of quality content..... and now its just a shadow of its former self. @tomfulp maybe you can talk to the owner of the copyrighted music to negotiate something

Most of the quality content on the site doesn't depend on unlicensed music.

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to Scrotum? 2016-12-04 11:01:51

At 12/4/16 10:55 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/4/16 10:51 AM, KMatrix11 wrote:

Most of the quality content on the site doesn't depend on unlicensed music

so if the original uploader had got the music licensed would the submission have been kept on the site?

Response to What happened to Scrotum? 2016-12-04 12:10:25

At 12/4/16 10:42 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/4/16 10:36 AM, KMatrix11 wrote:

If it's just a matter of copyrighted music, and the backups still exist, we have another option.

A flash decompiler like JPEXS will allow you to replace assets including images, shapes, text, scripts, and most importantly music -- easily. It requires no programming knowledge at all. Find the asset > right click > replace > select appropriately-sized replacement > save. I just did a test where I replaced the current song with a chiptune song by my man @SuperBastard which I happened to have on my desktop. It worked. If it works for Scrotum, the oldest user-submitted flash on the entire site, it will work for all of them.

Also link to song because it might be the catalyst for saving Newgrounds' history.

What happened to Scrotum?

Response to What happened to Scrotum? 2016-12-04 12:19:29

A flash decompiler like JPEXS will allow you to replace assets including images, shapes, text, scripts, and most importantly music -- easily. It requires no programming knowledge at all. Find the asset > right click > replace > select appropriately-sized replacement > save. I just did a test where I replaced the current song with a chiptune song by my man @SuperBastard which I happened to have on my desktop. It worked. If it works for Scrotum, the oldest user-submitted flash on the entire site, it will work for all of them.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/703291
Also link to song because it might be the catalyst for saving Newgrounds' history.

thats great! so we could just replace all of the copyrighted music with non copyrighted ones and we could have our fav submissions back

At 12/4/16 12:19 PM, KMatrix11 wrote:

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/703291
thats great! so we could just replace all of the copyrighted music with non copyrighted ones and we could have our fav submissions back

If @TomFulp were to implement a class of user called an Archive Moderator, we could have a team of volunteers whose job it is to replace assets in old flashes which would otherwise result in their deletion.

It would work like this:

1. Submission is deleted or perhaps just hidden from view.

2. Archive Mods see the submission appear in their mod tool in the same way it normally would appear in the Portal.

3. Archive Mod "claims" the project and then proceeds to do whatever possible to contact the author.

3a. The contact process could be automated instead. Upon deletion, the author could automatically be PM'd a list of options. Then they could upload their revised assets themselves and the Archive Mods would know that the submission is ready to go. Failing that, the Arch Mod could still contact them through email or social media.

4. Archive Mod replaces or removes the asset in accordance with the author's wishes.

4a. It may be necessary to collaborate with musicians here on NG to create a replacement if no close matches are found in the audio portal -- which is awesome because I'm sure musicians would love to have their work featured in the classics.

5. New version of the submission is uploaded. The old version is kept on the server purely for archival purposes, but only the new version is available on the submission's page.

6. Everybody wins.

It could even be applied to things like sprite movies where the submission was removed because of the characters involved. It would be a relatively simple task to submit a new all-original spritesheet to an archive mod and then they can just replace the shapes used in the flash. It might take like 10 minutes at most.

Response to What happened to Scrotum? 2016-12-04 13:22:58

At 12/4/16 12:44 PM, Bit wrote: If @TomFulp were to implement a class of user called an Archive Moderator, we could have a team of volunteers whose job it is to replace assets in old flashes which would otherwise result in their deletion.

I'm totally down for this - that software that lets you replace individual assets looks GREAT. That has been one of the biggest issue - lots of artists don't have their FLA files from a decade ago and the decompilers are an imperfect science. We could definitely rescue a lot of submissions this way and it would be great to get more Audio Portal artists featured.

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to Scrotum? 2016-12-04 13:24:30

At 12/4/16 11:01 AM, KMatrix11 wrote: so if the original uploader had got the music licensed would the submission have been kept on the site?

Yup, if someone could show a valid license for a commercial song, they could be protected.

BBS Signature

I had no idea this would get so many replies (and eventually lead to something else).

I was just hoping for an answer like "oh, that was a mistake", or something, but this is totally the last thing.

Response to What happened to Scrotum? 2016-12-04 13:58:57

At 12/3/16 10:03 PM, NightRaid-NG wrote:
At 12/3/16 09:56 PM, DoubleDenial wrote:
Ballsack the show?

Please don't put that image in my mind.
I should've described it though.
The series is about a puppy named Scrotum that constantly dies.
Couldn't think of a better description.

Response to What happened to Scrotum? 2016-12-04 15:18:54

At 12/4/16 01:28 PM, SlaughterTownDweller wrote:
At 12/4/16 01:27 PM, SlaughterTownDweller wrote:
At 12/4/16 01:22 PM, TomFulp wrote: I'm totally down for this
So you're going to make this a real thing?
Oh, also this flash uses some music by Tool apparently. just thought i should post this here.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/467804

Thanks for the heads up, I've reached out to Swished about updating the music.

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to Scrotum? 2016-12-04 15:20:39

Yeah I'm hoping to get as much back on-line as possible so help from existing mods and potential future mods will go a long way. I need to look at having a better area for mods to review submissions that have been pulled for music issues.

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to Scrotum? 2016-12-05 23:33:05

and ingus is gone :(

At 12/4/16 03:20 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Yeah I'm hoping to get as much back on-line as possible so help from existing mods and potential future mods will go a long way. I need to look at having a better area for mods to review submissions that have been pulled for music issues.

So far the only problem I noticed with the program that @bit brought up is that not all the sounds show up at times. From what I can see, I believe that event sounds are the ones that you are able to replace. If a user streamed any sounds, all the sounds will be mixed in one file, which does NOT give the option to replace. In other words, when they added the sound to the timeline, it would of had to been an event. Otherwise the recompiled sees the sounds as a mixed file. Unless I'm wrong, but this happened to me with a flash I was editing.

At 12/4/16 09:36 AM, TomFulp wrote: As for "NG losing it's integrity" as mentioned above, it's either this or shut the entire site down.

That's unfortunate, and utter bullshit that we're having to go through this while sites like YouTube exist, barely moderated by bots (which is not exactly legal since copyright disputes are supposed to be looked over with human eyes). The single shred of good in this is that more music from our own site will be featured in submissions (hopefully -- otherwise people will just look up "no copyright" music). I ultimately think that this is going to be one of those nail in coffin situations though. Why? Traffic.

Traffic from searches is important. Obviously, copyrighted music is often more popular and searched than non-copyrighted music, just by virtue of production quality, labels, names being out there, etc. Not only will we be shooting ourselves in the foot by not being able to take advantage of remixes of popular songs, but at the same time, no one can animate kickass music videos to them and post them here on NG. YouTube gets off pretty much scot free in that situation while we get no traffic because we can't host the content. Seeing the problem here? And losing our classics to copyright? Jesus Christ. It's awful. What next? The art portal takes a hit and no one can draw Spiderman, Wolverine, or Lilo and Stitch because they're copyrighted characters? There goes Teen Titans hentai out the window now that I mention it, lol.

Speaking of submissions being lost and authors misplacing their .fla and .swf files, I've lost a few submissions myself. Made an informative little rant on my page about it when I found out. That's hours of time long-gone, along with the files and even computers themselves. What little good will come from this is heavily outweighed by bad. It's a damn shame.

Without the crutch of the music people hear every day on the radio, we're going to have to rely more heavily on outlets like social media to get our stuff out there, and I can't help but blame the policies of late on these guys submitting stolen songs for use in GD, attracting the wrong kind of attention, giving us a reputation as a pirated music site to labels. Friends of mine who have been signed by labels recently have even mentioned off hand that having an account here is frowned upon because it's "not professional".

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to Scrotum? 2016-12-07 09:36:09

At 12/6/16 09:31 PM, DrClay wrote: So far the only problem I noticed with the program that @bit brought up is that not all the sounds show up at times. From what I can see, I believe that event sounds are the ones that you are able to replace. If a user streamed any sounds, all the sounds will be mixed in one file, which does NOT give the option to replace. In other words, when they added the sound to the timeline, it would of had to been an event. Otherwise the recompiled sees the sounds as a mixed file. Unless I'm wrong, but this happened to me with a flash I was editing.

This is what we have found as well. @Mike might be able to make a tool that lets us easily replace the streamed sound file but even then, it is a big undertaking to update.... The file tends to contain multiple songs (which need to have their timing matched exactly for how they are spaced apart) in addition to any streamed sound effects that played over top of the songs - so the new track would have to have redone sound effects baked in at those exact moments.

BBS Signature

At 12/7/16 09:36 AM, TomFulp wrote:
This is what we have found as well. @Mike might be able to make a tool that lets us easily replace the streamed sound file but even then, it is a big undertaking to update.... The file tends to contain multiple songs (which need to have their timing matched exactly for how they are spaced apart) in addition to any streamed sound effects that played over top of the songs - so the new track would have to have redone sound effects baked in at those exact moments.

the only work around for situations like that I could think of is finding another decompiler that exports the sounds. I remember trying that out a few years back. I think I remember an older flash decompiler that I believe managed to convert the swf to fla, along with the sound. Only problem was that any scripting would be removed (this was a gimmick to make people purchase.) But for what we are trying to do, one could edit the sounds that way, and either redo the scripts or edit the flash in swivel and just dub the sound over it in a video editor.

Response to What happened to Scrotum? 2016-12-07 11:22:30

At 12/7/16 11:20 AM, DrClay wrote: the only work around I could think of is finding another decompiler that exports the sounds. I remember trying that out a few years back. I think I remember an older flash decompiler that I believe managed to convert the swf to fla, along with the sound. Only problem was that any scripting would be removed (this was a gimmick to make people purchase.) But for what we are trying to do, one could edit the sounds that way, and either redo the scripts or edit the flash in swivel and just dub the sound over it in a video editor.

I'm not sure if we have many options when the SWF has a merged sound file for the streaming sounds - I don't think there's a way to break them down into individual sound components once the SWF has been compiled.

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to Scrotum? 2016-12-07 12:09:31

hey can anyone tell me where to share a song???
http://llcalirep.newgrounds.com/follow