00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

B0ss3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Beginner pc build help

436 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Beginner pc build help 2016-11-20 22:06:30

Hope I'm posting this in the right forum. I'm want to get into game development a little bit and wanted to know what kind of machine i should get. Things like price point, specs, and if there are any specific brands that are good for this. I'm looking into using game maker and sticking to mostly 2D graphics (i have a mac for art stuff). I want something good but I'm not looking to break the bank.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Response to Beginner pc build help 2016-11-21 01:16:57 (edited 2016-11-21 01:19:11)

Ye olde cheapo laptop should be good enough. If you're looking for price, a low-end 1GHz or so AMD processor should be okay.

Edit: Although I couldn't help but notice this:

I'm not looking to break the bank

and just before

I have a mac for art stuff

j/k. You could use the mac, though. Doesn't GM run on the Mac?

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Beginner pc build help 2016-11-21 19:21:43

At 11/21/16 01:16 AM, Gimmick wrote: Ye olde cheapo laptop should be good enough. If you're looking for price, a low-end 1GHz or so AMD processor should be okay.

Edit: Although I couldn't help but notice this:

I'm not looking to break the bank
and just before

I have a mac for art stuff
j/k. You could use the mac, though. Doesn't GM run on the Mac?

Na, gm studio is pc only, and the mac was a gift for college lol. Thanks though

Response to Beginner pc build help 2016-11-21 21:21:46

At 11/21/16 07:21 PM, Abstracts wrote: Na, gm studio is pc only, and the mac was a gift for college lol. Thanks though

Oh, ok - thought I saw GM running on a Mac and then realised that was an old version. You can use Parallels to run GM Studio on Mac, though.

BBS Signature

Response to Beginner pc build help 2016-11-22 18:48:00

At 11/21/16 09:21 PM, Gimmick wrote:
At 11/21/16 07:21 PM, Abstracts wrote: Na, gm studio is pc only, and the mac was a gift for college lol. Thanks though
Oh, ok - thought I saw GM running on a Mac and then realised that was an old version. You can use Parallels to run GM Studio on Mac, though.

Thanks for letting me know! I still think a pc would be a good idea. I know gm is pretty good and I've been wanting to get a computer for just creative stuff that I can keep my tablet plugged into, get a really strong game making program on, something to have specifically for creative stuff. My macbook is kinda old, and it runs perfectly still, but now that I have a well paying job I feel like this isn't a bad investment. Thanks again for the info. Every other place I looked said that a good game making pc would cost around 5 grand lol

Response to Beginner pc build help 2016-11-22 20:05:42 (edited 2016-11-22 20:16:27)

At 11/22/16 06:48 PM, Abstracts wrote: Every other place I looked said that a good game making pc would cost around 5 grand lol

Holy crap. I didn't even know that there were computers that went up to 5k. Either they're considering that you're going to make games in, say, Unreal or something (due to its high system requirements), or they're confusing it with CAD where you need a workstation for big stuff, or they're full of shit.

Either way, it's doing a disservice to those who made games before the late 2000-2010s.

Edit: If you still have the links, could you post them here? I'd like to peruse those articles.

[Edit 2: And yes, a 1GHz processor should be more than worth going for, but you'd do well to get quite a bit of memory to go with it. My netbook from 2012 is just great for creating flash games, but sometimes it can get a little choppy in the IDE. So, I don't know how optimized GM Studio is, but memory comes cheap these days so it's not a huge problem to upgrade early.

If you're going to build a desktop yourself, then you'd do well to get older models of Intel processors, because while AMD is more cost-effective, unless the release date of an AMD is newer than that of the Intel, for the same price the Intel would usually be a better deal. A Core 2 Duo, for example - processor alone - goes for around $10-20 here; that's more than sufficient (compared to an i3 which is $150), and there's no need to go for an AMD, because AFAIK an AMD A4 is roughly equivalent to a C2D]

BBS Signature

Response to Beginner pc build help 2016-11-22 20:31:04

At 11/22/16 08:05 PM, Gimmick wrote:
At 11/22/16 06:48 PM, Abstracts wrote: Every other place I looked said that a good game making pc would cost around 5 grand lol
Holy crap. I didn't even know that there were computers that went up to 5k. Either they're considering that you're going to make games in, say, Unreal or something (due to its high system requirements), or they're confusing it with CAD where you need a workstation for big stuff, or they're full of shit.

Either way, it's doing a disservice to those who made games before the late 2000-2010s.

Edit: If you still have the links, could you post them here? I'd like to peruse those articles.

Sorry, I've been looking for a bit on and off I wouldn't be able to find them/never saved them. Could just be using unreal (like you said), or other professional 3D programs. Also I've used maya before for 3D animation and modeling and that needs a decent computer to run well.

So maybe for a developer who is using and editing 3D models and using unreal you might need a powerful machine for that. Then again, I've never developed a game before so take that with a grain of salt. I may also just be remembering it wrong too since a month or 2 ago, but I do remember it being really expensive.

Either way nothing for a beginner who's using 2D graphics, or even just text on screen