Be a Supporter!

Am I Scouting Material?

  • 1,197 Views
  • 33 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
ThaFallenOne
ThaFallenOne
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate

I'm not asking to be scouted, I am however asking if anyone thinks that I'm scouting material. As in, do you think I belong in the Art Portal. Please give opinions as to why you think so or why you think not. Constructive criticism is always welcomed.
Ill leave my most recent work here.

Edit:Image looks shit on here. To view my art at its full potential, go to my art page.

Am I Scouting Material?

Lintire
Lintire
  • Member since: Aug. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-11-10 05:13:37 Reply

At 11/10/16 04:54 AM, ThaFallenOne wrote: Please give opinions as to why you think so or why you think not. Constructive criticism is always welcomed.
Ill leave my most recent work here.

Who gets scouted is entirely up to the discretion of artists that are in the portal proper. There's a guide, but I assume you know how it works.

For a personal opinion, if that's what you're asking, then no, sorry. And due to your devotion to a highly stylized approach there's not much I can say to help you. Basically the most efficient ways to get better are to copy life (life drawing, still life, alla prima etc) or to copy other artists (master studies, but don't be showing those off). Just keep that in mind.

Consider attempting more complicated or ambitious pieces. Unless it's hyper realistic bust work, headshots don't tend to turn heads.

Try not to take it to heart. My first submissions were terrible, took me a while to get scouted too.

ThaFallenOne
ThaFallenOne
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-11-10 06:09:56 Reply


Who gets scouted is entirely up to the discretion of artists that are in the portal proper. There's a guide, but I assume you know how it works.

For a personal opinion, if that's what you're asking, then no, sorry. And due to your devotion to a highly stylized approach there's not much I can say to help you. Basically the most efficient ways to get better are to copy life (life drawing, still life, alla prima etc) or to copy other artists (master studies, but don't be showing those off). Just keep that in mind.

Consider attempting more complicated or ambitious pieces. Unless it's hyper realistic bust work, headshots don't tend to turn heads.

Try not to take it to heart. My first submissions were terrible, took me a while to get scouted too.

Thank you for the feedback. I really appreciate it. Nothing is taken to heart but I will keep in mind of what you said. I'll try to build from your words. Thank you.

NilesCD
NilesCD
  • Member since: May. 13, 2016
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Artist
Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-11-10 09:32:18 Reply

Like Lintire said, you could benefit taking some time and learning your basics, 3d space, life/gesture drawings and colour theory. You do have room for a lot of improvement, but don't shy away from the art portal! Take it to your advantage to learn - Post some art and attract others to give you feedback, take note, learn and develop it in your next piece - You'll get there! But being scouted isn't what you should aim for first, you should be aiming for your own satisfaction, achieving what you want out of your art. Best of luck, I look forward to watching you develop!


- I do not wish to hurt you, just merely torture you -

BBS Signature
ThaFallenOne
ThaFallenOne
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-11-12 04:51:25 Reply

At 11/10/16 09:32 AM, NilesCD wrote: Like Lintire said, you could benefit taking some time and learning your basics, 3d space, life/gesture drawings and colour theory. You do have room for a lot of improvement, but don't shy away from the art portal! Take it to your advantage to learn - Post some art and attract others to give you feedback, take note, learn and develop it in your next piece - You'll get there! But being scouted isn't what you should aim for first, you should be aiming for your own satisfaction, achieving what you want out of your art. Best of luck, I look forward to watching you develop!

life gesture
Sorry for the late reply. First and foremost, thank you for the feedback. I really appreciate it.
So 3d space, life/gesture drawings, and color theory. Got it! Thanks for the feedback, I really, really, appreciate it :)

ThaFallenOne
ThaFallenOne
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-11-12 04:57:42 Reply

Barely Finished this. I'm trying to get out of my comfort zone. I usually only do faces but I took a chance. Please rate ?-10.
10 being Excellent and 0 being complete shit.

P.S. for better quality, visit my page.

Am I Scouting Material?

Kanahani
Kanahani
  • Member since: Jul. 26, 2016
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Artist
Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-11-12 18:48:20 (edited 2016-11-12 18:52:25) Reply

At 11/12/16 04:57 AM, ThaFallenOne wrote: Barely Finished this. I'm trying to get out of my comfort zone. I usually only do faces but I took a chance. Please rate ?-10.
10 being Excellent and 0 being complete shit.

Uh, I don't like rating with scale, but I'd give it... 4/10? Maybe 5? I guess?

Before I'd go to the "what's wrong?" part, I'll point out few positives:
- It looks like you actually cared about what you're doing. We can see some smooth lines, clear shapes, minor details (such as mill, river edges or tree roots). It doesn't look like you cared about quantity over quality.
- I like the way you used the blur to create this blinding-light-something-effect instead of bluring everything for no goddamn reason.
- I see that you're trying to play with perspective in the bacground instead of typical, boring side-view of a grass field.

What's wrong?
1. Anatomy
- it's hard for me to even begin, so I'll go from top to the bottom:
a) head - I clearly see that there's some stylisation going on, but I feel like she's lacking a back part of skull. Her head (over her hand, next to the headphones) just... is like pushed inside? Flattened? Hard to describe.
Here's a photo with similar perspective (I've chosen a bald lady to make the shape of her head more obvious and visible: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/10/cd/67/10cd673e79e6ef75acd7ebd49e609704.jpg )
b) torso - in comparison to her head it seems fine, but next to all the other body parts it looks abmormously big, which leads us to...
c) arms - they are just too small. Normal human with realistic proportions, while standing straight with arms down, will reach with fingers around halfway of the hip + a hand is around the size of your face (when you're adult). I know that you can stylise some things, but in that case it looks just... wrong.
d) legs - they look too small too. Usually they are around 1/2 lenght of the body. I guess you may wanted to put them in perspective? Anyway, it didn't come out well.
2. Shadows - like really, what the heck is going on? I mean, she doesn't stand in the middle of the city, so it's safe to assume that the only light source avaible is the sun. Let's try to guess where it is - it shouldn't be difficult since shadows are on the opposite side of the object than the light source. So, looking at girl - it's in front of her, a little to the left; looking at fence - it's from the direction that river is, a little to the right; looking at the mill - it's behind the mountains, a little to the left; looking by a river - it's high above, a little to the left... what?
- This is not the only thing that's bad with the shadows here. For some unknown reason they all are blured, no matter what surface they're on.
- Also, all the shadows are made with black and white colours. I know they're sometimes useful too, but try to avoid shading with colours from the gray scale (most of the time it makes your drawing look unnatural). Try to use colours instead. If you use photoshop, SAI or any program with layer modes, "multiply" will be useful for darker areas, and "brighening", "soft light" or other (just try them out) for light areas.
3. Colours - they all are so saturated + they don't work well together. Same as the opposite colour for black is white, others have opposites too: blue and orange, green and magenta, red and cyan. When one of them is saturated, it's good to make the other one less saturated (otherwise your eyes will burn in pain).
Your scene looks like a warm, sunny place, so I'd rather use more yellow-ish colours and made all the blue hues less saturated.

I'm too lazy to write more, but these are the biggest issues I see here. Hope I helped somehow.

Answering the title question: Not yet, but you may be soon. :)

TheDukeofJuke
TheDukeofJuke
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2016
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Musician
Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-11-13 01:05:40 (edited 2016-11-13 01:07:24) Reply

It's not really hard to get scouted here, honestly. But if we're basing this off your music, then "No." I don't think it's scout-worthy yet. That's not what it's about though. Popularity and success mean nothing if it's not fun. Have fun with your work. Strive to learn more and experiment with what you learned. If you find yourself not having fun then it's probably not your thing.

Note: Ignore my uploads since I just got done moving profiles and there's only one at the moment.

CoolCatDaddio
CoolCatDaddio
  • Member since: Feb. 17, 2016
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Writer
Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-11-13 01:48:45 Reply

At 11/10/16 04:54 AM, ThaFallenOne wrote: I'm not asking to be scouted, I am however asking if anyone thinks that I'm scouting material. As in, do you think I belong in the Art Portal. Please give opinions as to why you think so or why you think not. Constructive criticism is always welcomed.
Ill leave my most recent work here.

Edit:Image looks shit on here. To view my art at its full potential, go to my art page.

your shading is too soft,
try different colors when shading
your linework needs work
also proportions need work


You can lead a horse to water, but that horse is a actually a donkey and he wont listen to a word you say because he is rebellious

BBS Signature
ThaFallenOne
ThaFallenOne
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-11-13 02:18:52 Reply

Thank you for the feedback

Am I Scouting Material?

CoolCatDaddio
CoolCatDaddio
  • Member since: Feb. 17, 2016
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Writer
Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-11-13 03:06:02 Reply

At 11/12/16 04:57 AM, ThaFallenOne wrote: Barely Finished this. I'm trying to get out of my comfort zone. I usually only do faces but I took a chance. Please rate ?-10.
10 being Excellent and 0 being complete shit.

P.S. for better quality, visit my page.

the greens on this one look wayyy to saturated
study color theory, look at other artwork and see if you can come up with a better palette


You can lead a horse to water, but that horse is a actually a donkey and he wont listen to a word you say because he is rebellious

BBS Signature
Oddlem
Oddlem
  • Member since: Feb. 15, 2015
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-11-13 18:25:24 (edited 2016-11-13 18:26:18) Reply

I don't mean to overwhelm you with a bunch of critiques (since so many other people have also given critiques), but one thing I feel that hasn't been mentioned is this: when it comes to learning shadows and how they work, I personally think it's always a good idea to start out with cell-shading. When you use the softer airbrushes, it makes it a lot harder for beginners to learn this and allows for a lot of room to overcomplicate things instead of being able to understand it better. ;v; Like, it's more lenient I suppose. I know because I used to be obsessed with airbrushes, yet I never really understood how shading works. Only recently had I begun to even barely grasp these concepts, but I've gotta say that it's mainly because I experimented with cell-shading.

But when you shade, never be afraid to put it too much or make it too dark since a huge mistake people tend to make is to 'outline' instead of actually shade things. And by 'outlining,' I mean doing this. .w.

I hope I made sense because I suck at explaining things.

ThaFallenOne
ThaFallenOne
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-11-17 05:47:13 (edited 2016-11-17 05:48:44) Reply

Okay well here's my latest project. I had to back up from full body to facial portrait because I needed to go back to the basics. Thank you all for your feedback and feel welcome to give more feedback on my latest artwork.
I tried doing that light blue light on the right that people usually do. tell me how I did. XoXo

... for better resolution, go to my page ...

Am I Scouting Material?

Kaylsy
Kaylsy
  • Member since: Oct. 7, 2016
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Artist
Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-11-17 15:43:55 Reply

At 11/17/16 05:47 AM, ThaFallenOne wrote: Okay well here's my latest project. I had to back up from full body to facial portrait because I needed to go back to the basics. Thank you all for your feedback and feel welcome to give more feedback on my latest artwork.
I tried doing that light blue light on the right that people usually do. tell me how I did. XoXo

... for better resolution, go to my page ...

This is great, but it seems you're still having problems with shadows!
You have them in the right place if the light is on the left, but that halo looks awfully bright, that should also be a source of light.
Otherwise, that's some fantastic progress.

ThaFallenOne
ThaFallenOne
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-11-22 09:39:06 Reply

My latest piece. Let me know what ya'll think.

Am I Scouting Material?

StaticSkull
StaticSkull
  • Member since: Jan. 16, 2016
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Animator
Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-12-21 19:18:12 Reply

You're standards are pretty high
If this is the worst you can do, you're very good

ThaFallenOne
ThaFallenOne
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-12-24 03:31:55 Reply

New artwork, what do ya think fellas?
Full resolution at my art page.

Am I Scouting Material?

SkullHeadMurder
SkullHeadMurder
  • Member since: Jul. 26, 2016
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-12-27 20:21:01 Reply

At 12/24/16 03:31 AM, ThaFallenOne wrote: New artwork, what do ya think fellas?
Full resolution at my art page.

Face is a tad bit squished in and there's a lot of dead space to the right, nice coloring and interesting background but just needs some work on the anatomy. I'd say it's a pretty solid 6/10

Spedmallet
Spedmallet
  • Member since: Aug. 15, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Artist
Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-12-27 20:40:07 Reply

It may seem inconsequential, but I take registration date and level into account. Generally I will never scout anyone who registered less than a few months ago, and ignore low level accounts.

On top of that though, I'd work on proportions. It's been said already, but I can testify how much my own skill skyrocketed after about a month of drawing still-lifes and other things out of my comfort zone.


Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature
PlayStationPortable
PlayStationPortable
  • Member since: Jun. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-12-27 22:40:09 (edited 2016-12-27 22:41:52) Reply

At 12/24/16 03:31 AM, ThaFallenOne wrote: New artwork, what do ya think fellas?
Full resolution at my art page.

I think its alright but theres some stuff you can improve on, like the other said you gotta work on that proportion / anatomy. But specifically with this piece :

- The head is oddly shape like a squash rather than it being kind of spherical, I suggest looking at some reference picture for heads.

-The halo angle is kind of tilted a different way than the head direction is. The head direction is slightly lowered while the halo's angle is straight.

*added a quick sketch to visualized the points, some other minor points

Unless this is all due "style" you can ignore this and keep on drawing :p!

Am I Scouting Material?

ThaFallenOne
ThaFallenOne
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2016-12-29 00:46:01 Reply

holy crap!
thanks everyone!

ThaFallenOne
ThaFallenOne
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2017-05-11 23:52:49 Reply

Alright, I've come back after a while. With my recent art, Am I good enough now?

Am I Scouting Material?

Oddlem
Oddlem
  • Member since: Feb. 15, 2015
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2017-05-12 01:15:01 (edited 2017-05-12 01:15:22) Reply

At 5/11/17 11:52 PM, ThaFallenOne wrote: Alright, I've come back after a while. With my recent art, Am I good enough now?

Haven't seen you in a while, glad you're back! You've improved a TON since the last time you've posted, especially with your values and sense of depth. :D
Though, are you making a joke or actually asking if you're high enough of a level to be scouted? Because if it's the latter, only time will tell if someone thinks you're scouting material. Because whether or not someone responds, it'll only be answered once you actually get scouted and not by just a yes or a no.
Hope that makes sense. ;v;

ThaFallenOne
ThaFallenOne
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2017-05-12 11:01:18 Reply

At 5/12/17 01:15 AM, Oddlem wrote:
Haven't seen you in a while, glad you're back! You've improved a TON since the last time you've posted, especially with your values and sense of depth. :D
Though, are you making a joke or actually asking if you're high enough of a level to be scouted? Because if it's the latter, only time will tell if someone thinks you're scouting material. Because whether or not someone responds, it'll only be answered once you actually get scouted and not by just a yes or a no.
Hope that makes sense. ;v

Cheers. Totally joking man. Thanks, I like to think I improved too! :)
But honestly I don't really care about being scouted anymore. as long as I have fun doing what I do, ill be ok.

OrangeWedge
OrangeWedge
  • Member since: Apr. 29, 2017
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Animator
Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2017-05-12 15:20:51 (edited 2017-05-12 15:22:04) Reply

Well, i guess yes.
I see some effort in your production.
In my opinion everyone who shows effort in their artworks is scouting worthy

ThaFallenOne
ThaFallenOne
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2017-05-15 01:14:52 Reply

More goodies!

Am I Scouting Material?

ThaFallenOne
ThaFallenOne
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2017-05-15 01:16:11 (edited 2017-05-15 01:16:37) Reply

Annnnndddd even more goods

Am I Scouting Material?

ThaFallenOne
ThaFallenOne
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2017-05-15 09:14:58 (edited 2017-05-15 09:15:50) Reply

EDIT

Am I Scouting Material?

mait192
mait192
  • Member since: Sep. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Art Lover
Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2017-05-16 11:40:34 Reply

Edit:Image looks shit on here. To view my art at its full potential, go to my art page.

Newgrounds is kind of a shit hole to be honest - cause it breeds Art "censorship" who am I to decide if this is art or not? Of course one can always improve, different styles etc. But the art should only be "rated" by rating itself (people vote high on art pieces they like, lower on ones they dont) but this scouting shit is just redicolous --- bottom line is, if you want to be succsessful in this site you have to follow THIS site rules (which is kind of sad)


“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.” Margaret Mead | Anwser to all problems

BBS Signature
OrangeWedge
OrangeWedge
  • Member since: Apr. 29, 2017
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Animator
Response to Am I Scouting Material? 2017-05-16 14:46:51 Reply

At 5/16/17 11:40 AM, mait192 wrote:
Edit:Image looks shit on here. To view my art at its full potential, go to my art page.
Newgrounds is kind of a shit hole to be honest - cause it breeds Art "censorship" who am I to decide if this is art or not? Of course one can always improve, different styles etc. But the art should only be "rated" by rating itself (people vote high on art pieces they like, lower on ones they dont) but this scouting shit is just redicolous --- bottom line is, if you want to be succsessful in this site you have to follow THIS site rules (which is kind of sad)

I wouldn't criticise the site so hard.
But i'll agree getting scouted is quite hard at the beginning (it's also a little annoyance you have to go through at the beginning i guess).
Despite having uploaded 4 artworks (one of which frontpaged) i'm still unscouted :/