00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FloofGaming just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

GOP control over all of Washington

4,167 Views | 73 Replies

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-election-congress-control-20161108-story.html

The victory of Donald Trump, Republicans kept control of the House on Tuesday and hung on to their majority in the U.S. Senate, enshrining at least two years of single-party rule in Washington. With the GOP having control over all of Washington, things should be very productive for once.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to GOP control over all of Washington 2016-11-09 12:14:59

At 11/9/16 11:14 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-election-congress-control-20161108-story.html

The victory of Donald Trump, Republicans kept control of the House on Tuesday and hung on to their majority in the U.S. Senate, enshrining at least two years of single-party rule in Washington. With the GOP having control over all of Washington, things should be very productive for once.

Very true. But things had been looking up before that, when Reid lost his position and stopped stonewalling.

"Sometimes reputations outlive their applications. Sometimes fires don't go out when you're done playing with them."

Response to GOP control over all of Washington 2016-11-09 12:39:53

At 11/9/16 12:14 PM, anvilpoundcake wrote:
Very true. But things had been looking up before that, when Reid lost his position and stopped stonewalling.

President Donald Trump will be able to pass almost any law he wants with the GOP controlled House and Senate.

BBS Signature

Response to GOP control over all of Washington 2016-11-09 15:10:16

At 11/9/16 02:00 PM, Zornuzkull wrote: You seem to be forgetting that many of the GOP faithful still fucking hate him and everything he stands for...

That was before he won. Now as President, the GOP will be warming up to him.

BBS Signature

Response to GOP control over all of Washington 2016-11-09 15:41:09

At 11/9/16 02:30 PM, gumOnShoe wrote: It'll be interesting to see how a party all about not governing governs.
Good Fucking luck R's. It's your grave. Here's a shovel.

The Republicans will not only do well, they will prosper since they control all the bases in Washington. It is okay to not like the GOP, but there is no way to think they will fail.

BBS Signature

Response to GOP control over all of Washington 2016-11-09 16:41:46

At 11/9/16 02:00 PM, Zornuzkull wrote:
At 11/9/16 12:39 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 11/9/16 12:14 PM, anvilpoundcake wrote:
President Donald Trump will be able to pass almost any law he wants with the GOP controlled House and Senate.
You seem to be forgetting that many of the GOP faithful still fucking hate him and everything he stands for...

Quite a few were coming around towards the end. And if he can remain civil, I'm more than willing to bet they'll all be willing to work with him. As long as he doesn't pull what Obama did and assume he was gifted the power of god and fuck everyone who opposes... Some of his biggest opponents were the first to congratulate him this morning.

At 11/9/16 02:30 PM, gumOnShoe wrote: It'll be interesting to see how a party all about not governing governs.

It may be the end of the world as you know it, and that's probably a good thing.

You should complain more.

"Sometimes reputations outlive their applications. Sometimes fires don't go out when you're done playing with them."

Response to GOP control over all of Washington 2016-11-09 16:44:44

That's been my feeling too. Be careful what you wish for guys....you got your control, you've got your blank check to start passing shit (well, anything that doesn't violate the Constitution presumably) let's see if you do any better with it then the Democrats did, and hopefully we don't get wrecked in the meanwhile.

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator

The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to GOP control over all of Washington 2016-11-09 17:09:36

At 11/9/16 02:46 PM, Entice wrote:
At 11/9/16 02:00 PM, Zornuzkull wrote: You seem to be forgetting that many of the GOP faithful still fucking hate him and everything he stands for...
They may hate him as a person, but I doubt they hate what he stands for. His choice of running mate is a pretty clear indication that he intends to appeal to social/evangelical conservatives, and the Republican Party agrees with most of his campaign promises (tightening immigration, repealing the Affordable Care Act, etc.)

That is a valid point. I have liked Pence as a running mate since he was chosen.

Honestly, they disagree with how he handles and presents himself more than anything else.

Trump does speak his mind, and can a little rough around the edges.

BBS Signature

Response to GOP control over all of Washington 2016-11-09 18:06:24

At 11/9/16 03:03 PM, Zornuzkull wrote: I don't know tearing up trade agreements leaving nato and working with putin and Iran are all things that may raise eyebrows... Either way... It won't be boring...

Donald Trump will be the most exciting President in a long time, if not ever. He will change everything. Just like he was elected by spending less money than his rival.

BBS Signature

Response to GOP control over all of Washington 2016-11-09 19:02:41

At 11/9/16 06:06 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Donald Trump will be the most exciting President in a long time, if not ever. He will change everything. Just like he was elected by spending less money than his rival.

Really hope he just becomes a good President. He's got two months to learn how to be better then the guy he was on the campaign trail. I'm hoping we don't all wind up with a serious case of "buyer's remorse" here soon. But I think it's inevitable some of you are going to depending on if there were specific things he wanted done you voted for him based on.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to GOP control over all of Washington 2016-11-10 14:03:52

At 11/9/16 04:41 PM, anvilpoundcake wrote:

It may be the end of the world as you know it, and that's probably a good thing.

You should complain more.

Democrats are still upset that he won. Americans choose Trump to be President. You can't argue with the will of the people.

BBS Signature

Response to GOP control over all of Washington 2016-11-10 19:06:21

At 11/9/16 05:10 PM, gumOnShoe wrote:
At 11/9/16 03:41 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: The Republicans will not only do well, they will prosper since they control all the bases in Washington. It is okay to not like the GOP, but there is no way to think they will fail.
Why does this remind me of the bad guy shouting "I'm invincible" in every bad movie ever?

If this was a movie, Donald Trump would be the every man hero. Hillary would be the crooked Villain. Trump will make American great again with all his GOP control over Washington.

BBS Signature

Response to GOP control over all of Washington 2016-11-10 19:42:31

At 11/10/16 02:03 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 11/9/16 04:41 PM, anvilpoundcake wrote:
At 11/9/16 02:30 PM, gumOnShoe wrote:
Americans choose Trump to be President. You can't argue with the will of the people.

No they didn't, the ELECTORAL COLLEGE chose him

BBS Signature

Response to GOP control over all of Washington 2016-11-10 19:49:01

At 11/10/16 07:06 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Trump will make American great again with all his GOP control over Washington.

You are gonna have such buyers remorse here when you realize most of them hate him. He's the joke that people took serious. So many of you are going to be so badly disappointed when this doesn't go your way and just becomes another story of the failed, or the crooked, Presidency. I just hope not too many of my friends and loved ones get hurt in the process of it.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to GOP control over all of Washington 2016-11-10 23:19:59

At 11/10/16 07:42 PM, naronic wrote:

Representatives of the people, who usually vote according to what they say, you mean? Our system is designed so that lesser populated states don't get brushed aside. And a few states that may have been purple or blue, they went red. The people have spoken.

I do agree that the Electoral College should go away, but that doesn't remotely mean she would have won if they did. We'd have a much different pool and probably more involvement, so it's apples and oranges and a not applicable dream land.

Response to GOP control over all of Washington 2016-11-10 23:47:52

At 11/10/16 11:19 PM, anvilpoundcake wrote:
At 11/10/16 07:42 PM, naronic wrote:
Representatives of the people, who usually vote according to what they say, you mean? Our system is designed so that lesser populated states don't get brushed aside. And a few states that may have been purple or blue, they went red. The people have spoken.

I do agree that the Electoral College should go away, but that doesn't remotely mean she would have won if they did. We'd have a much different pool and probably more involvement, so it's apples and oranges and a not applicable dream land.

Hillary Clinton won the popular vote, the information is a simple google search away. She lost because of the electoral college vote. The people that "spoke" that faithful day (and there were not many of them) chose Hillary Clinton over Trump.

The Electoral College chose Trump, just like the Electoral College chose Bush back in 2000, and we all know how that presidency went, don't we?

As a nation, we are now at the complete unbending mercy of the biggest moron to ever grace the face of politics. Sarah Palin is now being considered for a cabinet position. He's looking to reverse every single ounce of progress we've made on global warming. Meanwhile Pence will get working on destroying LGBT rights in America as we know it. The list goes on.

But hey, at least we stopped TEH EVUL SJWZZ.

BBS Signature

Response to GOP control over all of Washington 2016-11-11 07:43:43

At 11/10/16 11:47 PM, naronic wrote:
Hillary Clinton won the popular vote, the information is a simple google search away. She lost because of the electoral college vote. The people that "spoke" that faithful day (and there were not many of them) chose Hillary Clinton over Trump.

Trump won on a state by state basis, adding up the electoral tally to make for a win. At the point of Trump's "win", the Electoral College had yet to vote, they were still fully capable of going against what those they represented want.

It's time to give up the anger on this, Hilary stepped aside without challenge.

The Electoral College chose Trump, just like the Electoral College chose Bush back in 2000, and we all know how that presidency went, don't we?

What is your point here? The shit show that followed with the counts and recounts or are you equating a Bush presidency to what Trump will do? Because if you remember before 9/11, Bush was going to be one of the most benign and do nothing presidents in history.

As a nation, we are now at the complete unbending mercy of the biggest moron to ever grace the face of politics. Sarah Palin is now being considered for a cabinet position. He's looking to reverse every single ounce of progress we've made on global warming. Meanwhile Pence will get working on destroying LGBT rights in America as we know it. The list goes on.

Trump is the biggest moron in history? He must be a damn lucky moron, to make so much money. Palin is not perfect, but she's not as bad as she has been painted. And we'll see how everything goes. If all is just, nobody's Constitutional rights will be violated. Nobody has done anything yet, so all this is a bit premature.

Dgaf about that, I'm glad a treasonous self serving chameleon did not get elected. People can be outraged about stuff that doesn't really matter, that's their right.

Your side should have demanded Bernie near half a year ago, he would probably be president.

Response to GOP control over all of Washington 2016-11-11 10:34:36

At 11/11/16 07:43 AM, anvilpoundcake wrote: Trump is the biggest moron in history? He must be a damn lucky moron, to make so much money.

The guy literally inherited is wealth and went bankrupt on multiple occasions. I wouldn't call him the dumbest moron in history, but he is definitely a lucky guy to get this far.

Palin is not perfect, but she's not as bad as she has been painted.

Literally the same can be said about Hillary.

Response to GOP control over all of Washington 2016-11-11 11:04:28

At 11/10/16 11:47 PM, naronic wrote:

That may be, but Trump won more states, and in many of those states, the electors have to vote for the candidate that won their state by law. The problem lies is there is no consistency between one state and another when it comes to electors in the Electoral College and how should they vote in an election. Of course, that's no excuse for people to not understand the basics of our system, but the inconsistency is worth noticing.

This isn't the first time this has happened, before 2000, nobody gave much thought about the EC before. Also remember that Bush before 9/11 and even early on the Iraq War, Bush was relatively popular and well-liked. It was only when the war started to bog down did his his popularity tailspin. There is a reason why we need to have the EC, but I'll get to that in a bit.

I think we should give him a chance, Trump is a lot of things, but I wouldn't put moron as one of them. Arrogant and an opportunitist, I'll give you that much, but you don't be as successful as he was by being an total idiot. By no means do I think that a lot of what he said wasn't awful, but what is said on the campaign trail is much different than what goes on in the White House, at least that is our hope.

That's irrelevant, and as much as I do believe that SJWs need to be taken down a peg sometimes, a presidential election is something they have little control in.

To return to my earlier point, without the EC, states like New York and California would have far more sway and influence in our elections, which would leave states like Wyoming and Alaska virtually irrelevant due to their small populations, not to mention put more influence in cities with large metro populations. As much as we laud the democratic process, direct democracy with not without its pitfalls and the Founding Fathers knew this, that's why they put in safeguards like the EC and many other things in order to keep "the tyranny on the majority" at bay.

Bitch and piss at the EC all you want, but when you consider the alternatives, you should be a little thankful that we haven't descended into mob rule, under the guise of populist thinking like Europe did between the world wars, (Germany and Italy anyone?) and we all know what happened there after that. This is no excuse for folks to willfully ignore at least the basics of American civics and then turn around and whine when something they don't understand doesn't go their way.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to GOP control over all of Washington 2016-11-11 11:24:46

At 11/11/16 10:34 AM, Soupcat wrote:
At 11/11/16 07:43 AM, anvilpoundcake wrote: Trump is the biggest moron in history? He must be a damn lucky moron, to make so much money.
The guy literally inherited is wealth and went bankrupt on multiple occasions. I wouldn't call him the dumbest moron in history, but he is definitely a lucky guy to get this far.

Luck? At least one of those bankruptcies was gaming of the tax code, which though a bit immoral, it's a smart thing to do. Our tax code is fucked and you can't seriously say that you'd ever pay the government more than they require you. If so, give them your money now.

Absolutely not. Palin has said a couple dumb things and been tarred and feathered for it, she has done very little to deserve the hostility she receives. Hilary on the other hand, time and time again she schemes and fucks over rules for her own gains and the left covers and distracts for her. It's not even apples to oranges, it's apples to a pile of sand, absolutely not comparable.

Response to GOP control over all of Washington 2016-11-11 12:04:54

At 11/11/16 11:24 AM, anvilpoundcake wrote:
At 11/11/16 10:34 AM, Soupcat wrote:
Luck? At least one of those bankruptcies was gaming of the tax code, which though a bit immoral, it's a smart thing to do. Our tax code is fucked and you can't seriously say that you'd ever pay the government more than they require you. If so, give them your money now.

So going into debt so you can file for bankruptcy is considered a smart move now? Why don't you go into debt so you can file for bankruptcy right now. It could make you as rich as Trump! Imma gonna go buy some casinos right now! Yeee hawww 'murricaa

Absolutely not. Palin has said a couple dumb things and been tarred and feathered for it, she has done very little to deserve the hostility she receives. Hilary on the other hand, time and time again she schemes and fucks over rules for her own gains and the left covers and distracts for her. It's not even apples to oranges, it's apples to a pile of sand, absolutely not comparable.

The pile of sand being Palin, right? Glad we're on the same page here.

Response to GOP control over all of Washington 2016-11-11 12:05:51

At 11/11/16 12:01 PM, Sause wrote: Did you convert to Islam recently?

Did you convert to Christianity recently?

Response to GOP control over all of Washington 2016-11-11 12:36:07

At 11/11/16 12:04 PM, Soupcat wrote:
So going into debt so you can file for bankruptcy is considered a smart move now? Why don't you go into debt so you can file for bankruptcy right now. It could make you as rich as Trump! Imma gonna go buy some casinos right now! Yeee hawww 'murricaa

Ah, so you have zero understanding of the situation, noted.

Irrational and illogical, also noted.

At 11/11/16 12:36 PM, anvilpoundcake wrote:
At 11/11/16 12:04 PM, Soupcat wrote:
Ah, so you have zero understanding of the situation, noted.

"The Trump Plaza Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City, which opened in 1984, declared bankruptcy at the same time as the Castle. A $210 million joint project of Trump’s and Harrah’s, the casino had racked up $250 million in debt by 1992, after a staggering 80 percent decline in cash flow. So Trump Plaza filed for prepackaged bankruptcy that spring as well."

Still doesn't take away the fact that he literally inherited his fortune from the start. He is not a "self made man". He did not work for his money. He was born into wealth, how am I wrong in that regard?

More irrelevant if anything, but however you want to put it, is fine by me. You're the one who used the analogy of "apples and a pile of sand". Both are politicians, so I would re-asses your analogy to something more applicable and logical.

I still fail to see any actual data to back up your arguments. All I got from you was some opinions.

Response to GOP control over all of Washington 2016-11-11 16:23:15

At 11/10/16 07:42 PM, naronic wrote: No they didn't, the ELECTORAL COLLEGE chose him

That is 100% true. He was chosen to lead Washington as the President.

BBS Signature

At 11/11/16 01:28 PM, Soupcat wrote:
Still doesn't take away the fact that he literally inherited his fortune from the start.

I never said anything contrary, and this is not a point which you brought up until now, along with others.

He is not a "self made man". He did not work for his money.

Yes, I'm sure he just sat on his ass and let it come to him.

He was born into wealth, how am I wrong in that regard?

You're currently arguing a point which was never brought up, amending your argument so you can feel correct.

You say he went into backruptcy. I state that at least one is strategic. You ignore this, make a different point. Then when you don't win that, you circle back to the original point.

More irrelevant if anything, but however you want to put it, is fine by me. You're the one who used the analogy of "apples and a pile of sand". Both are politicians, so I would re-asses your analogy to something more applicable and logical.

I still fail to see any actual data to back up your arguments. All I got from you was some opinions.

If you believe that wheeling and dealing American influence for donations and improperly handling of secure and public information is the same as someone else sticking their foot in their mouth, there is no logic to be found on the other side of this conversation. I made a ridiculous comparison because your statement that their misconception of image can be said for both is utterly ridiculous, Hilary's missteps are magnitudes larger. There is no opinion in this, one was exposed by the FBI and the other was simply mocked by media.

I'm not furthering this conversation with you, there is zero point. He won, she lost, it's time to come to terms.

Response to GOP control over all of Washington 2016-11-11 17:28:01

At 11/11/16 05:16 PM, anvilpoundcake wrote:
At 11/11/16 01:28 PM, Soupcat wrote:
Still doesn't take away the fact that he literally inherited his fortune from the start.
I never said anything contrary, and this is not a point which you brought up until now, along with others.

Are you daft? That was my original argument all along.

GOP control over all of Washington

Response to GOP control over all of Washington 2016-11-11 19:06:04

At 11/11/16 02:27 AM, Korriken wrote: That and she only won the electoral vote by a tiny sliver. It's not like she was 10 million votes over and still lost.

That doesn't refute his point though. His point was without the Electoral College, she wins, and he's absolutely correct in that. I think we knew for awhile no matter which was the election went nobody was going to have some amazing landslide victory where they could claim any sort of real mandate.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to GOP control over all of Washington 2016-11-11 19:09:53

Also, on the subject of the Electoral College....I'm really tired of hearing this issue come up when the Dems lose and the Repubs get in. Because whether it's the truth or not, it looks like it's only an issue when the Left feels like they got screwed on an election, but if they win, nobody on that side says a peep....and I do not remember anyone on the Right either time Obama was elected demanding it be pulled down.

If you really want it gone, then I expect to hear these same cries the next time we get a Democrat as President. That's the true test of your convictions to me, that even when it goes your way, it'll still be something you find archaic, abhorrent, and out of touch.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to GOP control over all of Washington 2016-11-11 23:51:02

At 11/10/16 11:19 PM, anvilpoundcake wrote: Representatives of the people, who usually vote according to what they say, you mean? Our system is designed so that lesser populated states don't get brushed aside. And a few states that may have been purple or blue, they went red. The people have spoken.

The states all voted who they thought was best. If a candidate does not visit or try to campaign in certain states, they will always win them.

It is not perfect, but nobody has come up with a better system.

BBS Signature