00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BACKRUMS just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cinematic artists, program recs?

1,065 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Cinematic artists, program recs? 2016-10-30 19:33:50

Been playing around with music for a little over a decade, since my older brother detected my creative interest and I inherited an old keyboard and Reason 3.0, an arguably ancient version I still work with today. In spite of some past adventures (under a different band name) music has always been just an outlet of expression/imagination for me, and I was never really motivated to upgrade anything or invest in a different program.

Yet it's been very inspiring over the past year, coming to SC and now being introduced to this site and listening to the talented artists who compose worlds and stories and also - noticing how polished music programs have become!! I think, I finally might be able to more accurately, tangibly create the sounds in my head. Excited to work toward that step! - but feel a little lost at the moment, for which I know I'll be doing research on music software, but wanted to get recommendations if possible as far as what programs are more user friendly, economical, etc. (I tend to gravitate toward strings, choir, heavy beats and empowering synth samples, in case any of this info helps)

So what do you guys like to use? :) (Also, sorry in advance for genre squishing 'cinematic' artists; I know you're all much more than that!^^)

Response to Cinematic artists, program recs? 2016-10-30 20:09:29

I recommend starting with Kontakt or Komplete and building from there. There's a massive assortment of very good libraries for Kontakt from companies such as Spitfire and Embertone. A good place to "shop" for possible libraries is KVR, and if you're on a budget, check out Bedroom Producer's Blog, it is a fantastic resource.

Sometimes the best answer is the most creative one. Depending on how patient you are and willing, you might find more unique library options or old samplers provide an interesting tone that can help give you a more unique sound rather than the mainstream libraries, which typically cater towards trailer music. Towards that extent, I create my own libraries as Versilian Studios. It is fairly easy to learn the basics of sampling and you can create sounds that no one else has, which is the coolest part. :)

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to Cinematic artists, program recs? 2016-10-30 20:35:57

I think I've heard of Kontact before; the only Komplete have heard of is from Native Instruments. Much to learn, going to add these to my list of stuff to check out. Thanks so much, samulis! :D

Response to Cinematic artists, program recs? 2016-11-12 09:46:50

Just saw this little post up in community section and my typo is haunting my OCD!!

- Kontakt* -