New Topic Respond to this Topic
TheOverGhoul
TheOverGhoul
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Game Developer

What was the first programming language you've learned?
Mine was C++ but i kinda switched to Javascript and HTML later because i got bored with it.

Pleb in the morning, Monster at night.

iXploit
iXploit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Game Developer
Response to Your first programming language 2016-10-29 04:01:27 Reply

At 10/28/16 06:01 AM, LuckyLightTitan wrote: What was the first programming language you've learned?
Mine was C++ but i kinda switched to Javascript and HTML later because i got bored with it.

Mine was VB.net lmao.. But what got me into Programming was when i used to hack multiplayer / virtual world games using Packet Editing Software.. After i was hacking those games for a few years (2008-2013) i ended up getting more into coding .. started with VB.net making Maze Games and Clickers.. then moved around everywhere else, Java,C#,C++,PHP,JS,Python,AS2,AS3,Smali etc.. I Still have yet to try Ruby, Perl, Standard C and some others but for now im loving some Actionscript 2/3 as well as some python , i'll move from AS eventually though.. Even though i really like the language

Happy Coding

- Xploit

BBS Signature
orion1220
orion1220
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Your first programming language 2016-10-29 10:09:06 Reply

At 10/28/16 06:01 AM, LuckyLightTitan wrote: What was the first programming language you've learned?

actionscript

Funkmachine
Funkmachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Your first programming language 2016-10-31 07:38:42 Reply

Turbo (self taught), then Java/C/actionscript(college), More Java/Groovy/Python/JS(real world work)

Rotten-Carrot
Rotten-Carrot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Animator
Response to Your first programming language 2016-10-31 15:55:57 Reply

The fist one was BASIC. I didn't learn it. I used it.
Then Assembler.
Then Pascal.

BBS Signature
CjElliott
CjElliott
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Game Developer
Response to Your first programming language 2016-10-31 16:03:28 Reply

php but I then moved onto actionscript and then c# for Unity as that is what my current job requires :)

However I learned batch before any of this, like a boss >.>

KeeCoyote
KeeCoyote
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Your first programming language 2016-11-07 13:36:10 Reply

I'm old if not ancient. My programming first languages were assembly and Basic. Original and commadore basic.

adultvideos
adultvideos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Your first programming language 2016-11-17 14:17:40 Reply

Started with HTML "programming" as I tried to recreate Pokemon Crater (or what was it called) without even knowing how websites worked. Of course I realized that I needed something like PHP to do that. Though I lazed around for maybe 3 or 4 years not actually learning anything but doing stupid website mock-ups with Microsoft Publisher (took me way too long to remember this name but holy bacon, the nostalgia kicked in hard).

Then my school started teaching me Pascal. Our year was the last year that was taught Pascal so all of my juniors were being taught C++.

Then college came and... I was being taught Pascal again. Hurrah for learning stagnation! At least afterwards we were taught C++, Java, PHP, JavaScript (well, it wasn't exactly being taught - we just used it), and microchip programming with J# (for an Arduino simulator), BASIC and Assembler.

During college, I also wrote scripts in Python and used them on my Raspberry Pi B (the original) to power some "features" on my "pervy cartoon tiddies" tumblr blog like generating the TOP 100 of the "lewds", tag lists and etc. (I did shut it down this year and while you can find it archived here, all of the generated content was offsite so it didn't get archived).

With all of the above mentioned life tragedies, I believe that the first programming language in which I could write my own programs was Pascal (I made a Snake clone in a console window! My first game! Yay!). While I had touched PHP before, I had zero clue what I was doing then - just copy & paste code from tutorials, glue it all together and see how nothing works.

LostVoices
LostVoices
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Your first programming language 2016-11-18 09:07:18 Reply

Basic on c64
Vb 6
As 2
As3

awww

ninjamuffin99
ninjamuffin99
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Your first programming language 2016-11-20 02:02:46 Reply

I tried HTML for like a week when I was 14 so i don't usually count that, then Lua for a week to try and make a Garry's Mod gamemode so I don't count that either. Eventually I decided to actually learn something so I tried out HaxeFlixel and just stuck with it for a while.

#BringBackBeardFulp

BBS Signature
StaticSkull
StaticSkull
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Animator
PompiPompi
PompiPompi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Your first programming language 2016-12-03 01:45:58 Reply

At 11/22/16 08:40 PM, NightRaid-NG wrote: Actionscript 2

I think it was plain C.
Parents sent me to a summer course before high school who had computer science as "minoring".
At school I learned Pascal though.
Actually... you could say Logo was my first language to some extent, but I didn't really learn much of it...

Dre
Dre
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Your first programming language 2016-12-03 17:35:33 Reply

BASIC

FireFoxxy
FireFoxxy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Your first programming language 2016-12-04 15:23:49 Reply

At 10/28/16 06:01 AM, SlaughterTownDweller wrote: What was the first programming language you've learned?

Python

TEMPUS EDAX RERUM ~ Time Devourer of All Things.

SavageAround
SavageAround
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Your first programming language 2016-12-07 06:45:13 Reply

I started learning C++ with Madushan 2 months ago. I found him on https://www.tutoronline.net/ . He is a great teacher and always well prepared. He quickly understood my strength and weakness and where I need improvement. Very nice teacher.

K2Shape
K2Shape
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to Your first programming language 2016-12-07 08:03:08 Reply

My first programming language was C# which I learned four years ago, two years later I learned C++ along with web-development languages like HTML,CSS and JS. This year I am currently learning F# and Haskell.

BBS Signature
QueenMasako
QueenMasako
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Melancholy
Response to Your first programming language 2016-12-22 07:04:30 Reply

I've never been proficient with any, but my first was just Windows batch files. Made a short text-based rpg with not a lot of rng involved.

Second language I learned, and still use, was GML (Game Maker Language) which is mildly based on Delphi. I've been using it for a handful of years (as a hobby, not seriously), and can make 1st and 3rd person camera perspectives and d3d primitives.

I also picked up RGSS when I got RMVX Ace, but only enough to customize menu layouts and augment equip slots.

I gave Python a go for all of 2 days. Haven't touched it since.

I was born ready. My eyelashes, alas, were not.

BBS Signature
Ganon-Dorf
Ganon-Dorf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Game Developer
Response to Your first programming language 2016-12-30 23:12:11 Reply

C# was my first, I found it a great starting language because you get to learn all of the syntax and requirements that functions have without having to worry about garbage collection.

I'm not a programmer by trade, I do level design which involves mission scripting so I don't need to know much about low level programming languages. Unreal Visual Scripting is something I'm learning more of now since the industry is going towards more visual scripting so everyone can get their hands dirty easier.

BBS Signature
andrew65952
andrew65952
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Programmer
Response to Your first programming language 2017-01-03 19:14:02 Reply

I started with batch (cmd on windows) then I moved to html/javascript... then everywhere else...

Lictalon
Lictalon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Your first programming language 2017-01-11 17:55:30 Reply

I made non-interactive pages with HTML when I was a kid, but I don't consider HTML a real programming language. I did make some "games" with Java as a kid before I fully understood programming (just point and click stuff).

In college, they made us use C in the intro programming course, then you had to choose C++ or Java for the core CS classes. I chose C++, which is great for learning programming, but not so good on the job market.

At work, I primarily use Java, JavaScript, and SQL. I'd like to see someone write a good game with that last one...

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to Your first programming language 2017-02-03 11:33:38 Reply

C/C++
then Java
then C#

I tried getting more into C/C++ a while back, but since my free time is limited I didn't really get too far. Whenever I need to write a small program, I chose C# now, since it's the one I know best.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

WQYeo
WQYeo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Programmer

C# and C++ 5~6 years ago. though C# was earlier.

Broken Arrows

BBS Signature
aListers
aListers
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Your first programming language 2017-02-04 16:43:34 Reply

Technically actionscript 2 but in terms of actual programming (considering that my experience with AS2 was copy and pasting code from NG tutorials) it was visual basic.

???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era,
What have I done with my life?

BBS Signature
sval
sval
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Writer
Response to Your first programming language 2017-02-13 07:15:29 Reply

HTML. My first "real" programming language was PHP.

xoxo
svalis

Geel7989
Geel7989
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
Response to Your first programming language 2017-02-14 16:32:08 Reply

I've always used Actionscript personally, although we did learn Visual Basic at school.
All we wrote were calculator and name programs, which were boring af. -_-

I'm not that good at signatures.

Leidolfr
Leidolfr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Your first programming language 2017-03-02 17:49:14 Reply

BASIC, believe it or not, C++ shortly after.

KMiles
KMiles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Game Developer
Response to Your first programming language 2017-03-09 20:54:19 Reply

At 10/28/16 06:01 AM, TheOverGhoul wrote: What was the first programming language you've learned?

VB was my first experience ever with coding, but AS3 is the first language I mastered. From that I moved on to Haxe and C#.

EoD696
EoD696
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician

At 10/28/16 06:01 AM, TheOverGhoul wrote: What was the first programming language you've learned?

Mine was HTML. Is that a language? I dunno....but that's where I started. Actually...my interest in coding started when I saw my fist amateur website. "I can do that" is what I thought. So I started with Word '97 actually. I didn't start with an ambition to write code, I started with an ambition to make websites. That led me to htmlgoodies.com, which led me to learn javascript. So, I suppose my first language was javascript. Since, I've learned C#, PHP, and Python. But HTML, CSS, and JavaScript make up the majority of what I write, regardless of the supporting back-end tech...

btw, I'm a professional web-developer today...that's what I do.

EoD696
EoD696
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician

www.zonnic.com

that's mine...make your window smaller, you'll see the fruition of hours of work...

There's hundreds more...pm if you're interested. :-D

SkyFire2008
SkyFire2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Programmer
Response to Your first programming language 2017-03-16 07:06:58 Reply

BASIC. Even though it was 2005 already, we were taught it at school.

Although not a follower of [hseroK divaD], she's a devoted Branch Davidian.