00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

wilwz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How do you stay motivated?

1,294 Views | 12 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How do you stay motivated? 2016-10-26 08:07:13

Lately I've been feeling pretty down about making music. I've spent a few years slowly trying to get better at making electronic music and I've been playing guitar for the last decade. It's just that it feels like I'm draining myself trying to become better and I'm never going to get there. Not even my close friends seem to think that I have a chance. I really don't want to quit but every time I work on music I just end up feeling worse than when I started.

Response to How do you stay motivated? 2016-10-26 09:02:30

Here, read this.

Response to How do you stay motivated? 2016-10-26 23:31:36

Glad I could help.

Response to How do you stay motivated? 2016-10-27 00:03:03

I actually read this sometime last year. But thank you for reminding me of it.

Response to How do you stay motivated? 2016-10-28 22:11:02

At 10/26/16 09:02 AM, Demon-Wolf wrote: Here, read this.

That was good.

BBS Signature

Response to How do you stay motivated? 2016-10-31 04:04:58

I was about to respond without checking that link...

The link says was I was gonna say at 72.

"Sometimes the fun isn’t there. Go do something else."

Response to How do you stay motivated? 2016-10-31 06:46:51

I stay motivated by realizing the fact: that my work matters to the world, my presence in this field, despite how small it is, matters and means something. Im not worthless.

Thus i feel motivated to continue making videogames and music once i have taken a break after a burning session haha

Response to How do you stay motivated? 2016-10-31 07:49:22

masturbate

Response to How do you stay motivated? 2016-10-31 11:40:49

At 10/31/16 07:49 AM, Moblin wrote: masturbate

Distracting urself will do nothing.

You can do anything you want to do. You just do it and know that whatever you do will work out somehow, some way.

If you put your mind to it, ANYTHING is possible bro

Response to How do you stay motivated? 2016-10-31 14:12:32

i have chronic depression. sometimes it's bad, sometimes it's not so bad. when it's bad, i have absolutely no interest in creating music whatsoever. when i'm generally in a good mood, the creativity starts flowing and i feel more inclined to put my thoughts and emotions to paper in the form of a song.

so try to put yourself in a good mood. do something you enjoy, be around people you like, and while you're still riding those good vibes, sit down and write/record. i've found that when i write in a bad mood, it all sounds samey. being happy greatly improves my creativity.

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature

Response to How do you stay motivated? 2016-10-31 16:12:03

I just think about a very young Tom Hanks and then that gets me motivated. I've been trying hard to learn a new programming language but I didn't so I guess I'm not trying hard enough.

Response to How do you stay motivated? 2016-10-31 16:39:55

All I do is try to think of some junk and try to make it work. If I end in a dead end, I try to make it work even if it fails. Don't trash any failed stuff, you should keep it for later tries.

BBS Signature

Response to How do you stay motivated? 2016-10-31 18:14:44

With difficulty. I also have trouble with depression and motivation. The biggest help I get is by working with someone in person. I haven't done much on Newgrounds lately because I've been recording a local band, which is something I only recently felt good enough about to charge money for. As a result (I assume) of the interaction and enthusiasm, their stuff is sounding a good bit better than the tracks I post here. Expectations are uncomfortable at first, but gradually wear off. It does leave you with just the right amount of pressure to do a quality job.
Whenever there's a contest of sorts here, that helps too. Minimal pressure, but the deadline and expectation of participation after signing up are just enough to get me to work through writer's block and make something.
Those 72 tips in the link are also spot on.

Derp.

BBS Signature