00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

JUBBAA just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Wonder Woman made UN Ambassador

1,029 Views | 10 Replies

Wonder Woman made UN Ambassador 2016-10-21 18:45:53

Wonder Woman designated as Honorary Ambassador for the Empowerment of Women and Girls

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2016/10/20/wonder-woman-designation-as-honorary-ambassador-for-the-empowerment-of-women-and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmxUcnhtt9Q

For 75 years she's stood as an icon of justice, peace, equality and empowerment, in this video even being called "the greatest female super hero to date" (though I don't think I'd date her, personally).

On the other hand:

"More than 1,000 of anonymous and "concerned" UN staff members have signed an online petition arguing that Wonder Woman was not an appropriate choice, noting the character's physique as: "a large breasted, white woman of impossible proportions, scantily clad in a shimmery, thigh-baring body suit with an American flag motif and knee high boots -the epitome of a "pin-up" girl"."

so uh

What do you think? Reasonable? Weird / dumb / bad choice?

Some have argued it's disappointing they couldn't choose a real woman, do you think choosing an icon instead was the right move? It's somewhat comparable to that Captain America statue in Brooklyn earlier this year.

Do you think this type of female empowerment and gender equality activism creates valuable change, or is perhaps misguided? Has it gone too far or is there more to achieve? (try to keep things somewhat civil - attack ideas, not people)

and on a lighter note

Who's your favourite female character?

Response to Wonder Woman made UN Ambassador 2016-10-22 00:22:33

I guess it's fine. Women need female role models, too. I don't see the problem here.

Response to Wonder Woman made UN Ambassador 2016-10-22 06:44:45

I just want to mention how hot lynda arter still is.

Wonder Woman made UN Ambassador

Response to Wonder Woman made UN Ambassador 2016-10-22 10:31:49

At 10/22/16 06:45 AM, Xenomit wrote: I don't want to be alive

same

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to Wonder Woman made UN Ambassador 2016-10-22 12:58:37

At 10/22/16 05:04 AM, eyesbluenow wrote:
At 10/22/16 12:22 AM, vannila-guerilla wrote: I guess it's fine. Women need female role models, too. I don't see the problem here.
It's funny because they couldn't find a real woman lmao

They could have found a real woman. They could have found a lot of real women. I don't think the reason they picked Wonder Woman wasn't because they couldn't find a real woman. It probably has more to do with them using pop culture to send a message of sorts.

Response to Wonder Woman made UN Ambassador 2016-10-22 13:01:51

Wonder woman is one of my fetishes so I completely support this idea 100%.

what is a fictional character going to do about anything? just feels like a bunch of feel good ass-patting that wont solve any real life problems. as for the complaints about the character being sexist or objectifying, i thought women had the right to dress however they want and not be shamed for their body type. you can do mental gymnastics to make the argument that every single female character ever made is sexist somehow, but its just inane bullshit.

also they should have totally cast linda carter as wonder woman again instead of gal gadot, linda is still hot at 60 plus years old and gadot has zero charisma or talent.

Response to Wonder Woman made UN Ambassador 2016-10-22 15:59:51

At 10/22/16 06:45 AM, Xenomit wrote: So the UN made a fictional chick an ambassador, then argued with itself that she wasn't a good fictional character to make ambassador

Because she is a big breasted white woman. The most evil of women.

I don't want to be alive

This world is fucking doomed. Doomed I tells ya.

Response to Wonder Woman made UN Ambassador 2016-10-22 20:38:37

This makes a lot of sense...

"Sometimes reputations outlive their applications. Sometimes fires don't go out when you're done playing with them."

Response to Wonder Woman made UN Ambassador 2016-10-22 20:54:29

Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill.

And I like Wonder Woman.

Response to Wonder Woman made UN Ambassador 2016-10-22 21:37:49

I would've chosen a dark action girl instead of Wonder Woman.