00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mikeymurder just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

AP Human Geography teaching...

534 Views | 11 Replies

AP Human Geography teaching... 2016-10-21 18:05:30

So in this class I was learning about identity which involves learning about race, gender, sexuality, etc. In that class we were asked to define race and ethnicity on 2 sticky notes on our own table. After that, the teacher said that most of us got the definition wrong and said that Race is actually a social construct. Now when I first heard this I was skeptical about the whole thing and started wonder if this person is teaching me the right shit. Is this correct or is it just some SJW bullshit? What do you guys think?

I turn water into water

BBS Signature

Response to AP Human Geography teaching... 2016-10-21 18:17:29

At 10/21/16 06:05 PM, SkimblixWalker wrote:
just some SJW bullshit?

yes

"Sometimes reputations outlive their applications. Sometimes fires don't go out when you're done playing with them."

Response to AP Human Geography teaching... 2016-10-21 18:24:02

At 10/21/16 06:05 PM, SkimblixWalker wrote: So in this class I was learning about identity which involves learning about race, gender, sexuality, etc. In that class we were asked to define race and ethnicity on 2 sticky notes on our own table. After that, the teacher said that most of us got the definition wrong and said that Race is actually a social construct. Now when I first heard this I was skeptical about the whole thing and started wonder if this person is teaching me the right shit. Is this correct or is it just some SJW bullshit? What do you guys think?

From a biological point of view there is no such thing as a "race" there are only individuals. There was a study that showed that one quite small population in Africa has a bigger genetic diversity than the rest of the world i.e. Asians and Caucasians have more genetic similarities than some neighbours in a town in Africa.

BBS Signature

Response to AP Human Geography teaching... 2016-10-21 18:37:16

At 10/21/16 06:24 PM, Rotten-Carrot wrote:
From a biological point of view there is no such thing as a "race" there are only individuals.

Got anything to back that up?

I turn water into water

BBS Signature

Response to AP Human Geography teaching... 2016-10-21 18:44:47

At 10/21/16 06:37 PM, SkimblixWalker wrote:
At 10/21/16 06:24 PM, Rotten-Carrot wrote:
From a biological point of view there is no such thing as a "race" there are only individuals.
Got anything to back that up?

Here is the study I was talking about:

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100217/full/463857a.html

BBS Signature

Response to AP Human Geography teaching... 2016-10-21 19:05:51

I took AP human too. Yes, it's true that race does not have a clear scientific basis. For example: particularly in the US, the definition of what is "white" or "not white" has really changed over time.... when large numbers of Irish immigrants moved to the US, they were considered "dark." Certainly when Italians and eastern European Jews moved to the US in large numbers, they were not considered white. How would you describe the race of a Turkish person?
Also, in the US, what is black? Going back hundreds of years, there was no such thing as being "mixed." if you were 1/8 black and 7/8 white, you were legally considered black, and today that persists culturally, because nearly all Black Americans are mixed European and African heritage.

So basically the idea of race was a modern concept that there's a fixed and limited number of distinct human races, almost like different species. This debunked "scientific" theory was used by US and Europe to justify dehumanizing slavery of Black people and the forced removal of Native Americans from their home lands. In reality, there's a complete spectrum of differences among ethnicities around the world, and the differences are basically superficial, such as skin color.... ie, east Asian people are more likely to be lactose intolerant.

x

BBS Signature

At 10/21/16 07:09 PM, Dem0lecule wrote:
At 10/21/16 06:05 PM, SkimblixWalker wrote: the teacher said that most of us got the definition wrong and said that Race is actually a social construct.
An educated teacher. OP just too dumb and blinded by anti-PC to research it on his own.

Actually I did. I just wanted to see what other people think about it. But I might be a little blinded by anti-pc on some things...

I turn water into water

BBS Signature

Response to AP Human Geography teaching... 2016-10-21 20:30:49

Your teacher is not talking nonsense! There hasn't been much of a clear definition of "race" beyond the perception of skin color and slight differences in facial features, and racial definitions have changed over time without any scientific influence. For example, in the American 19th century, you would have been legally considered black if you had "a drop of blood" of Sub-Saharan ancestry in you.

What also supports the theory that race is a social construct is that race is not universally viewed the same way. In South America, "indigenous" is legally defined as a race, even though you probably cannot tell from an indigenous person unless you happen to stumble upon an uncontacted tribe.

Ethnicity is generally based on ancestry, but race is almost always about how you look.

BBS Signature

Response to AP Human Geography teaching... 2016-10-21 23:31:49

At 10/21/16 11:05 PM, zornuzkull wrote: Both sides of this argument should really be represented...
No matter how distasteful and uncomfortable it may be...
http://www.counter-currents.com/2015/07/why-race-is-not-a-social-construct/

Just because flat earthers exist doesn't mean I need to link to their website whenever someone claims that the moon orbits the earth. If you're wrong, you're wrong. Aint a matter of politics.

x

BBS Signature

Response to AP Human Geography teaching... 2016-10-21 23:58:59

At 10/21/16 11:40 PM, zornuzkull wrote:
Actually the guy sites ten scientific sources... And puts together a pretty good argument...
The whole point in this thread is to discuss this so... If you didn't want to discuss it why are you here?

I'm not interested in spending my precious free time putting together a counter argument to white nationalism. I came here to have fun. I'm not even going to comment on your article, because I don't feel like it.

:D

x

BBS Signature

Response to AP Human Geography teaching... 2016-10-22 03:07:18

Ask the teacher what 'haplogroups' are.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to AP Human Geography teaching... 2016-10-22 08:01:57

Well thanks for all of the responses. Really appreciated it...

I turn water into water

BBS Signature