00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Failing college math

2,286 Views | 25 Replies

Failing college math 2016-10-21 00:48:53

Who has done it, and what did you do? I am resigning and giving up on passing it. Will most likely try against next semester. What say you newgrounds?

Response to Failing college math 2016-10-21 01:20:17

I took the course before and I must say for me it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. However, if you are going to drop the class my advice to you is this. Make sure you do it before it is too late to withdraw.

Response to Failing college math 2016-10-21 07:16:40

Go back to the point where you've started to lose comprehension of the subject and start there. For me, it went all the way back to fractions and percentages. Get an old high school math book. check thrift stores or look online for one.

Study the heck out of it and then when you're ready, sign back up for the class. Word of advice though, don't save it all until the last minute. I had to do 2 advanced algebra classes followed by statistics in one semester.

Birds Born in a cage think Flying is an illness - Alejandro Jodorowsky

BBS Signature

Response to Failing college math 2016-10-21 11:41:43

BBS Signature

Response to Failing college math 2016-10-21 12:03:07

I failed chemistry in my first year of university, then I thought it was really terrible, but now it's turned into the greatest thing that ever happened because it led me to the field of video games. I didn't do well in my first semester of calculus either, but I didn't fail it; after my first semester I realized I could't play Starcraft and succeed in my courses, so my average went from a 2.0 up to a 2.8 over the next semester until I managed to graduate with a 3.5.

Failing isn't always a bad thing, in my case it actually turned out really well.

BBS Signature

Response to Failing college math 2016-10-21 13:26:59

Cool, thanks for the advice guys. Yea, I ended up missing a few classes because reasons, during algebraic fractions. Screwed myself.

Response to Failing college math 2016-10-26 06:18:53

i pretty much failed college math (a remedial algebra course) on my first go. years later I unlocked my right brain and did well in various undergrad math courses (trigonometry, derivative calculus, integral calculus, multivariable calculus, linear algebra, discrete mathematics, modern differential equations, CS statistics, bioinformatics, MATLAB computational methods). just a personal account...you can do it, I believe in you. I guess I'm just bumping this thread because math became my one of my favorite subjects, which is a stark contrast to my high school and early college where I approached math with a high level of resistance. I am by no means proficient, but I do enjoy the subject...feel free to drop me a line and I might be able to offer a different perspective as someone who also struggled heavily in mathematics

BBS Signature

Response to Failing college math 2016-10-26 10:26:15

What level math is it?

Differentials? Calc III?

I'm an engineering major, so I may be able to help.

Response to Failing college math 2016-10-26 13:22:29

At 10/26/16 10:26 AM, Heretic-Anchorite wrote: What level math is it?

Differentials? Calc III?

I'm an engineering major, so I may be able to help.

Naming it 'math' and mentioning fractions lead to the notion that the OP is talking about school (level) math.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Failing college math 2016-10-26 14:38:07

At 10/21/16 12:48 AM, StrapOnFetus wrote: Who has done it, and what did you do? I am resigning and giving up on passing it. Will most likely try against next semester. What say you newgrounds?

Not the worse thing in the world. I failed business stat because didn't pay attention and plus taking a cap stone class (this means a class you HAVE to make a C or better that encompasses everything you learn in your program). I failed it, took it again WITH the exact same teacher and learned a TI 83 pretty much can do all the work for you and passed it with a B without ever looking at the book again.

NG Review Moderator // Pm me for Review Abuse

BBS Signature

Response to Failing college math 2016-10-26 14:42:45

tbh I'm just failing college since I'm lazy and would normally procrastinate. I suggest you just do your best and get a tutor if you can afford one. Failing is not an option.

Response to Failing college math 2016-10-27 01:57:19

At 10/21/16 12:48 AM, StrapOnFetus wrote: Who has done it, and what did you do? I am resigning and giving up on passing it. Will most likely try against next semester. What say you newgrounds?

i dropped out school sucks

Response to Failing college math 2016-10-27 11:12:14

I went to my math class like the two first days and then quit going. Just because it was at 9 and then the rest of my classes were at 12, so I could sleep in and stay up late.

Response to Failing college math 2016-10-27 16:03:56

At 10/21/16 12:49 AM, Sekhem wrote: just use algebrator, dude

Wolfgram Alpha is very useful too.

But yeah, OP, college math is just stupid. I initially went into college as an engineering/math major, and I was working 100x harder than everyone else who weren't taking math classes and I was barely passing while these business/liberal arts majors were getting A's while barely working. So after going through calc 1, calc 2 and bombing out of calc 3 I just said "fuck this shit" and became a business major. Now I'm barely working hard and acing all of my classes.

Response to Failing college math 2016-10-27 18:53:42

Math is the easiest subject. Don't see why anyone has a hard time with it other than stupid emotional/psychological reasons.

Strict rules. No judgment required. Everything straightforward.

"i'm bad at math but i'm good at english!" -> "i'm retarded"

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to Failing college math 2016-10-27 18:54:09

At 10/27/16 06:37 PM, edsward wrote: Don't do all the learning alone. learning in groups helps alot since there's always someone who understands if you don't..

I've been forced into this type of situation before. It was a nightmare trying to explain simple concepts to retards.

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to Failing college math 2016-10-28 00:58:00

s u it, satisfactory/unsatisfactory

D counts as C if you get it up otherwise its a U and withdrawn grade, talk to your advisor see if its an option.

BBS Signature

Response to Failing college math 2016-10-28 21:44:18

At 10/28/16 09:28 AM, edsward wrote:
At 10/27/16 06:54 PM, sharpnova wrote:
At 10/27/16 06:37 PM, edsward wrote: Don't do all the learning alone. learning in groups helps alot since there's always someone who understands if you don't..
I've been forced into this type of situation before. It was a nightmare trying to explain simple concepts to retards.
Yeah I mean if you study math at college and didn't understand math at highschool, then just don't.. it won't get easier later.

For the most part this is true.

I've *occasionally* seen it click later for some people. I knew someone who couldn't even evaluate an arithmetic or algebraic expression. They had to resort to PEMDAS which is an acronym that explicates what should be intuitive to begin with. Then one day something I said made it click for them. They finally saw how intuitively obvious evaluating expressions was and how PEMDAS was mostly redundant. And then next thing I knew, they were enjoying real math. The type of stuff you learn in college. The stuff that SHOULD be taught to kids before arithmetic and algebra.

Response to Failing college math 2016-11-11 13:21:55

I ended up withdrawing from the class, I will retake it/redouble my efforts next semester. My Psychology, History of 1776 and English classes are all gravy though.

Response to Failing college math 2016-11-12 02:27:59

It's not for everyone I suppose

Response to Failing college math 2016-11-12 11:44:44

Oh this cant be good but keep trying at it.

Smile Java is here

BBS Signature

Response to Failing college math 2016-11-12 14:44:14

At 11/12/16 11:54 AM, Hacklyn wrote:
At 11/11/16 01:21 PM, StrapOnFetus wrote: I ended up withdrawing from the class, I will retake it/redouble my efforts next semester. My Psychology, History of 1776 and English classes are all gravy though.
Remember Albert Einstein OP, remember Albert Einstein. And be glad you're still better than him at some subjects.

You could become...the next Freud! Or Martin Luther!...Or...Shakespeare!

There should totally be a rainbow text option on NG. (Colour-blind friendly, only.)

lol Sigmund Freud was a weird mother fucker though...lol You had a dream about you mother? Oh, his diagnoses was you wanted to sleep with your mom.

The rest of those dues are ace though. *thumbs up*

Response to Failing college math 2016-11-13 01:28:59 (edited 2016-11-13 01:29:41)

I'm in the same boat... Taking discrete math right now and neither of my exam scores have reached 70.

Really depends on what resources you're given with respect to professors, discussions, office hours, etc. It also makes a big difference by school - I had a manageable time in calculus at community college but everyone says that math here is needlessly hard, which is why it's curved so much. Makes me respect Kaczynski even more for getting his PhD in math here.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Failing college math 2016-11-14 00:00:32

I'm failing every class lol. But it's only my very first semester so i will not make the same mistake next semester. (It was laziness)

Response to Failing college math 2016-11-30 10:17:12

At 10/21/16 12:48 AM, StrapOnFetus wrote: What say you newgrounds?

I say don't give up! Just keep going. No use being negative now. All that practice will add up eventually. The sum of all efforts is worth it. Don't get out of the equation. Eventually you'll get your piece of the Pi.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Failing college math 2016-11-30 11:13:43

I actually failed a college math class last semester, Calc II. All you can really do is retake it and learn from your mistakes. One bad grade won't define your college career and you can boost your GPA using your other courses. Good luck!

BBS Signature