00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kkolo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

hello. complete animation noob here

404 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

hey everyone! i really want to try my hand in adobe flash, every time i get a little discouraged either due to lack of skill or the fact maybe im just a little impatient lol. i want to try and draw guidelines in flash. its cool that the brush has a behind feature, but if only the eraser did as well.

up until this point of realizing about the brush i did everything..EVERYTHING with layers,

example if im drawing a face, i put a circle on one layer, the chin on another and the guidelines on another, i feel that this process would take forever to get anywhere, and so i wonder how do other people do their animations and create their characters?

i feel terrible because i cant even do stick figures right. somehow i mustered up all my strength and attention span to create one small animation.

ninja vs spellcaster pt 1

i realize that animation, along with all art is a craft that requires disipline, and im willing to put in the time, i just dont know where to start. sorry.

is any of this making sense??

Response to hello. complete animation noob here 2016-10-17 19:22:31

If you're serious about the art, then I recommend this book.

Response to hello. complete animation noob here 2016-10-18 09:20:11

Ah jeez, where do I start?
Get the animator's survival kit. Or at least see a couple of pages on the internet just to get some general ideas. It really changes everything you see about animation and makes you better from the first read.
You're too impatient and get discouraged? Welp, what you need is discipline. Animation is all about discipline, you either get it, or you get yourself a better career. Don't worry, it's easy, here's one of the many ways to do it: Ever heard of the "don't break the chain" calendar? You can make your own.

As for discouragement. Fuck that, dude, fail until you get it right. Don't worry.

As for guidelines... Just do a layer for doodles and mute it when you're done with it. Doing an animatic helps. Look up animatics, they're the best way to get anatomy and timing before doing final animations. The rest... well, youtube is your friend. I had a favourite flash guide video, but I can't find it. If you're doing a 100% frame by frame, 1 layer per character is fine, but not more than 3. If you want to tween animate, I can't help ya there, buddy, youtube is your friend again.

Now let's look at your animation... Oh dang, that's rough. Don't worry! We can fix it.
I'd really advice you to look up some anatomy guides and practice, even stick figures have anatomy.
Now, it doesn't have any timing, it's confusing and it doesn't really make any sense. I'd suggest to look your favourite animated fight scenes frame by frame, and "inspire" your animations on them untill you feel like you can make your own timings. By that I don't mean trace frame by frame, but just get the idea. It's kinda stealing, after all. Hell, look up xiaoxiao stick figure fights for starters.

Now there's a really bad move you made on your animation, the worst of all: To be continued. Dude, discipline is all. No matter how much you learn, how much you improve, if you can't finish what you start, you'll never be a good animator. It's okay to drop a project, however, you must learn to finish things. Dropping a project must be a rare event to you.

So I hope this is useful to you.

Response to hello. complete animation noob here 2016-10-18 10:34:26

Thanks, that was a very detailed response. I also thank the others for their comments, even though one was quite vague.

Tbh, that animation was made years ago. Waay back in '09, that was when i felt really inspired about animation and what i wanted to do, i still have ideas and yet my attention span keeps me from making more.

Maybe i just need to learn to just enjoy the process. I know that animation is something i want to do.

Response to hello. complete animation noob here 2016-10-18 10:49:38

Start with the 12 Principles of Animation:

And also, definitely get the "Animator's Survival Kit" and "the Illusion of Life". Those are terrific books for the starting animator.

I watched your animation and I have to tell you to never get discouraged. Flash is not the only tool for animation, any software where you can draw in layers is good enough (not ideal, of course) but good enough for practice.

I truly wanna see you improve over time as an animator. PM me with any future questions and I'll be happy to help.

All the best,

Platanoz

BBS Signature