RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Musician
Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-05 21:21:50 Reply

@TomFulp @Krinkels woah! I wasn't even expecting to place but I got 3rd this year, nice! Thanks guys. I like the new layout, not too different, but toned down and simplified and more neat. I haven't seen it implemented on the main page yet but on the pages it is, not too shabby. Makes things less complex. Good job.

Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 31
Musician
Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-06 01:06:15 Reply

new community hub looks really good

BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO FORGE FIRST TO BRING THE WAY FOR OTHERS -
H. // E L I J A H // M U H A M M A D

BBS Signature
Wkay
Wkay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-06 01:13:59 Reply

At 10/5/16 06:56 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 10/5/16 06:48 PM, Wkay wrote: Liking the Community Hub, but the buttons on top don't show a drop-down menu like they're supposed to. I've asked a couple people and they said it's still working for them. I've tried clearing my cache, but that didn't seem to work. I'm not sure what's happening. I hope somebody here knows a solution. I'm a Firefox user, if that helps.
We've ditched the dropdown nav - we're trying to present different options better in the pages vs having piles of nav. The 2012 layout was the only one to have those and we never liked them very much. Let me know if you're having trouble finding something specific though, I'm curious to know which ones people used the most.

It's a step in the right direction and easy to get use to, but the button to access the forums could be a bit larger and more noticeable and the chat shortcuts for General and the Creator's Lounge don't work.

Gibb50
Gibb50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-06 03:01:48 Reply

A big old thanks to Mr Matt for adding me to this prestigious list and to those who helped me get there.

A question to Thomas Fulp. I already am a part of the alpha ever since the Kickstarter. I've got so many access keys they won't fit in my pockets anymore. Is there anything special for the winners who are in this predicament?

Whee Woo Wee Woo, on no! THE PO PO!

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 57
Writer
Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-06 03:48:19 Reply

Now it takes two clicks to get to the forum overview and find your way to the wi/ht. :/ Why an overview for Chat on the community hub, but no overview for Forums? Feels like the most important part IMO. If it's too space-intense, it'd be nice if there was at least a limited selection, and maybe the user could add in more/choose which ones to have displayed to them, so it's always easy to get to the ones you wish to get to. I'd rather respond to topics I'm interested in than ones that are trending, so not sure how much I'll be using that main panel.

As for trending topics tailored to your aura: if you chose blank slate, does that make them not tailored to your aura? Would be cool if users could select which forums they want included in the trending topics, so people with multiple areas of interest can get their fill.

Otherwise... pretty cool with an overview like this, and the small excerpt from the ranking pages is a fun detail too. This new hub will probably take some getting used to...

Also Congrats to the winners!

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 57
Writer

At 10/5/16 06:56 PM, TomFulp wrote: I'm curious to know which ones people used the most.

Forums and Artist News mostly, Creator Resources and Rankings occasionally. Also a lot of Classic Portal before there was a link for that.

At 10/5/16 08:41 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: I don't mean to come off as dismissive, but I think regular users typically go directly to the bbs URL already, and even though they may complain about the change, can still get to their forums easy enough.

I usually go via the navbar to get to the forums. It's great that you're catering to new users with the all-in-one introductory approach, but hopefully you're also expecting them to get a feel for the place and stay, becoming old users, and once they are they'll probably appreciate quick access to the areas they frequent the most, right? Clicking a link is easier than typing in a URL IMO, and one click vs two clicks 200% more efficient in terms of clicks-required-to-reach-desired-page. ;) Small details that maximize usability and ease of access.

Alternatively, if the customizable menu idea comes around it'd be even easier if a user could add in a (optional) link to the Forums there, in place of one of the other buttons. Or even better: a customizable menu with responsively-sized buttons so you can add in any amount of quick-access links you like, they'd just shrink to fit max-width.

DamnedByFate
DamnedByFate
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-06 08:52:23 Reply

At 10/5/16 01:18 PM, TomFulp wrote: Can you clear your cache and post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Something tells me I should really get Firefox…

Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub

You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!
On every ship that floats and sails, there's someone who the captain nails.
Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-06 08:56:22 Reply

At 10/6/16 08:52 AM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 10/5/16 01:18 PM, TomFulp wrote: Can you clear your cache and post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Is this Chrome? What version and what OS? Have any extensions running?

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
DamnedByFate
DamnedByFate
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-06 09:04:52 Reply

At 10/6/16 08:56 AM, TomFulp wrote:

IE8 on Win XP (I've been wondering myself how long you're still going to support that). No extensions that I know of.

No, my current PC does not support anything newer. No, I don't have the money to buy a new one.

You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!
Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature
MysticSkillz
MysticSkillz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 35
Artist

Nice update Tom, it even looks good on my phone, it'll take some getting used to without drop down menu.
Just one question, where do I go to find my friends list?

Check out my work at MysticSkillz

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-06 13:58:10 Reply

At 10/6/16 12:51 PM, MysticSkillz wrote: Nice update Tom, it even looks good on my phone, it'll take some getting used to without drop down menu.
Just one question, where do I go to find my friends list?

The friends list has been moved to "User Relations" on your account page (the gear in the header):

http://www.newgrounds.com/account

That list might get more prominence down the road if it has more utility, such as letting you know what friends are in chat or in specific games.

BBS Signature
PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Programmer
Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-06 15:29:24 Reply

At 10/6/16 09:04 AM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 10/6/16 08:56 AM, TomFulp wrote:
IE8 on Win XP (I've been wondering myself how long you're still going to support that). No extensions that I know of.

No, my current PC does not support anything newer. No, I don't have the money to buy a new one.

Chrome should still work on winXP, I'd recommend that over Firefox, especially on older hardware.

Arch-Angel likes this sig!

BBS Signature
PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Programmer
Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-06 15:37:00 Reply

The classic 'jump to forum' menu is now incorporated into the community hub so people can skip the forum index and get to the forum they want faster now!

Arch-Angel likes this sig!

BBS Signature
asure
asure
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-06 16:17:17 Reply

Congratulations to all winners !!!

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 57
Writer
Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-06 16:31:05 Reply

At 10/6/16 03:37 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: The classic 'jump to forum' menu is now incorporated into the community hub so people can skip the forum index and get to the forum they want faster now!

A little bit faster it is! Appreciate it.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 57
Writer
Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-06 16:34:14 Reply

Woah, I wonder how many still use IE8! Isn't that a bit of a security risk though? And with Windows XP, without support...? If you ponder a software-only upgrade Windows 7 runs surprisingly well even on old machines. Not all too differently either.

XwaynecoltX
XwaynecoltX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 54
Movie Buff
Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-06 23:21:29 Reply

The new changes are nifty, its always a pleasure to see changes in this place.

~X~

VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 38
Writer
Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-07 06:04:18 Reply

No link to the under-used NG Calendar? Kinda miss the drop-down menus, but so long as the hub pages are packed full of easy to find links, and well laid out, I'm ok.

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.
If I'm not here, you can find me racing on GTA: Online, gamertag: VicariousE

BBS Signature
DamnedByFate
DamnedByFate
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-07 08:46:59 Reply

At 10/6/16 04:34 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Woah, I wonder how many still use IE8! Isn't that a bit of a security risk though? And with Windows XP, without support...?

I know it is. Everything of value is stored externally. So far though it's worked reasonably well for the only 2 things I really need a computer for, which is NG and university work.

At 10/6/16 03:29 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: Chrome should still work on winXP, I'd recommend that over Firefox, especially on older hardware.

The problem is, I've been successfully boycotting Google for 3 years now, and I don't really want to stop…

Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-07 08:47:33 Reply

At 10/7/16 06:04 AM, VicariousE wrote: No link to the under-used NG Calendar? Kinda miss the drop-down menus, but so long as the hub pages are packed full of easy to find links, and well laid out, I'm ok.

The calendar is cute but always kinda weird to look like a calendar instead of just a list of important dates - the summary on the front page has everything you can find there. Calendar still exists via direct link, maybe it will get linked at some point:

http://www.newgrounds.com/calendar/

BBS Signature
Ganon-Dorf
Ganon-Dorf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Game Developer
Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-07 11:50:06 Reply

I think the Community tab is a bit of a mess currently, I'm searching for things that to me should be shoved in my face such as forum navigation. Too much clicking, I've actually made General a bookmark so I don't have to go through the community page, just my two cents though.

BBS Signature
Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Game Developer
Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-07 14:26:29 Reply

I'm really digging this NG Radio. It's super comfy. It takes me back to when the A-Bot would play random songs in the Audio Portal.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 57
Writer
Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-07 14:58:15 Reply

At 10/7/16 08:46 AM, DamnedByFate wrote: I know it is. Everything of value is stored externally. So far though it's worked reasonably well for the only 2 things I really need a computer for, which is NG and university work.

Fair enough. Wonder if you're using any anti-virus software/if there is any that works with XP, or unofficial patches?

The problem is, I've been successfully boycotting Google for 3 years now, and I don't really want to stop…

How about FireFox?

madnessauditor755
madnessauditor755
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-07 15:03:12 Reply

yeaah!!!!
gabriel barsch and gibb50 and kelzad on the top

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 57
Writer
Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-07 15:03:18 Reply

At 10/7/16 08:47 AM, TomFulp wrote: The calendar is cute but always kinda weird to look like a calendar instead of just a list of important dates - the summary on the front page has everything you can find there. Calendar still exists via direct link, maybe it will get linked at some point:

http://www.newgrounds.com/calendar/

A miniature calender linking to a big one somewhere would be pretty cool. I like the overview it gives, feels like it's easy to get a sense of how far away each event really is when you see the weeks. On that note: a customizable selection of content boxes on the community hub would be awesome! Totally personalizable. Forum overview, specific forum listings, rankings, staff news, artist news, general news, calenders...

chris-the-stick2
chris-the-stick2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-07 21:51:58 Reply

great news, and great movies/games/art for madness day, as usual!
keep up the great work, tom!

i also liked krinkels part in the judging part of madness day...
it was cool.

StaticSkull
StaticSkull
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Animator
DamnedByFate
DamnedByFate
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-08 09:39:21 Reply

At 10/7/16 02:58 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Fair enough. Wonder if you're using any anti-virus software/if there is any that works with XP, or unofficial patches?

Had to get rid of it when it found - guess what - a virus within itself. The irony.

How about FireFox?

As I said, I'm considering getting Firefox in case anything else starts breaking.

Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 57
Writer
Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-08 16:03:42 Reply

At 10/8/16 09:39 AM, DamnedByFate wrote: Had to get rid of it when it found - guess what - a virus within itself. The irony.

That''s messed up. :| Must be better anti-virus software out there though, they should safeguard their own files first.

As I said, I'm considering getting Firefox in case anything else starts breaking.

Alright.

Agent-Ichabod
Agent-Ichabod
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-11-05 11:41:31 Reply

At 10/5/16 12:47 PM, TomFulp wrote: @PsychoGoldfish just launched our new Community hub, a gateway to the forums, chat and other features that previously resided in navbar dropdowns.

Can someone post a link to the community hub? There isn't one on the main post.