00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub

14,144 Views | 55 Replies
Respond to this Topic

At 10/5/16 06:56 PM, TomFulp wrote: I'm curious to know which ones people used the most.

Forums and Artist News mostly, Creator Resources and Rankings occasionally. Also a lot of Classic Portal before there was a link for that.

At 10/5/16 08:41 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: I don't mean to come off as dismissive, but I think regular users typically go directly to the bbs URL already, and even though they may complain about the change, can still get to their forums easy enough.

I usually go via the navbar to get to the forums. It's great that you're catering to new users with the all-in-one introductory approach, but hopefully you're also expecting them to get a feel for the place and stay, becoming old users, and once they are they'll probably appreciate quick access to the areas they frequent the most, right? Clicking a link is easier than typing in a URL IMO, and one click vs two clicks 200% more efficient in terms of clicks-required-to-reach-desired-page. ;) Small details that maximize usability and ease of access.

Alternatively, if the customizable menu idea comes around it'd be even easier if a user could add in a (optional) link to the Forums there, in place of one of the other buttons. Or even better: a customizable menu with responsively-sized buttons so you can add in any amount of quick-access links you like, they'd just shrink to fit max-width.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-06 08:52:23

At 10/5/16 01:18 PM, TomFulp wrote: Can you clear your cache and post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Something tells me I should really get Firefox…

Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-06 08:56:22

At 10/6/16 08:52 AM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 10/5/16 01:18 PM, TomFulp wrote: Can you clear your cache and post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Is this Chrome? What version and what OS? Have any extensions running?

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-06 09:04:52

At 10/6/16 08:56 AM, TomFulp wrote:

IE8 on Win XP (I've been wondering myself how long you're still going to support that). No extensions that I know of.

No, my current PC does not support anything newer. No, I don't have the money to buy a new one.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Nice update Tom, it even looks good on my phone, it'll take some getting used to without drop down menu.
Just one question, where do I go to find my friends list?

Check out my work at MysticSkillz

BBS Signature

Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-06 13:58:10

At 10/6/16 12:51 PM, MysticSkillz wrote: Nice update Tom, it even looks good on my phone, it'll take some getting used to without drop down menu.
Just one question, where do I go to find my friends list?

The friends list has been moved to "User Relations" on your account page (the gear in the header):

http://www.newgrounds.com/account

That list might get more prominence down the road if it has more utility, such as letting you know what friends are in chat or in specific games.

BBS Signature

Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-06 15:29:24

At 10/6/16 09:04 AM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 10/6/16 08:56 AM, TomFulp wrote:
IE8 on Win XP (I've been wondering myself how long you're still going to support that). No extensions that I know of.

No, my current PC does not support anything newer. No, I don't have the money to buy a new one.

Chrome should still work on winXP, I'd recommend that over Firefox, especially on older hardware.

Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-06 15:37:00

The classic 'jump to forum' menu is now incorporated into the community hub so people can skip the forum index and get to the forum they want faster now!

Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-06 16:17:17

Congratulations to all winners !!!

BBS Signature

Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-06 16:31:05

At 10/6/16 03:37 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: The classic 'jump to forum' menu is now incorporated into the community hub so people can skip the forum index and get to the forum they want faster now!

A little bit faster it is! Appreciate it.

BBS Signature

Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-06 16:34:14

Woah, I wonder how many still use IE8! Isn't that a bit of a security risk though? And with Windows XP, without support...? If you ponder a software-only upgrade Windows 7 runs surprisingly well even on old machines. Not all too differently either.

BBS Signature

Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-06 23:21:29

The new changes are nifty, its always a pleasure to see changes in this place.

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-07 06:04:18

No link to the under-used NG Calendar? Kinda miss the drop-down menus, but so long as the hub pages are packed full of easy to find links, and well laid out, I'm ok.

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-07 08:46:59

At 10/6/16 04:34 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Woah, I wonder how many still use IE8! Isn't that a bit of a security risk though? And with Windows XP, without support...?

I know it is. Everything of value is stored externally. So far though it's worked reasonably well for the only 2 things I really need a computer for, which is NG and university work.

At 10/6/16 03:29 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: Chrome should still work on winXP, I'd recommend that over Firefox, especially on older hardware.

The problem is, I've been successfully boycotting Google for 3 years now, and I don't really want to stop…

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-07 08:47:33

At 10/7/16 06:04 AM, VicariousE wrote: No link to the under-used NG Calendar? Kinda miss the drop-down menus, but so long as the hub pages are packed full of easy to find links, and well laid out, I'm ok.

The calendar is cute but always kinda weird to look like a calendar instead of just a list of important dates - the summary on the front page has everything you can find there. Calendar still exists via direct link, maybe it will get linked at some point:

http://www.newgrounds.com/calendar/

BBS Signature

Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-07 11:50:06

I think the Community tab is a bit of a mess currently, I'm searching for things that to me should be shoved in my face such as forum navigation. Too much clicking, I've actually made General a bookmark so I don't have to go through the community page, just my two cents though.

BBS Signature

Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-07 14:26:29

I'm really digging this NG Radio. It's super comfy. It takes me back to when the A-Bot would play random songs in the Audio Portal.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-07 14:58:15

At 10/7/16 08:46 AM, DamnedByFate wrote: I know it is. Everything of value is stored externally. So far though it's worked reasonably well for the only 2 things I really need a computer for, which is NG and university work.

Fair enough. Wonder if you're using any anti-virus software/if there is any that works with XP, or unofficial patches?

The problem is, I've been successfully boycotting Google for 3 years now, and I don't really want to stop…

How about FireFox?

BBS Signature

Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-07 15:03:12

yeaah!!!!
gabriel barsch and gibb50 and kelzad on the top

Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-07 15:03:18

At 10/7/16 08:47 AM, TomFulp wrote: The calendar is cute but always kinda weird to look like a calendar instead of just a list of important dates - the summary on the front page has everything you can find there. Calendar still exists via direct link, maybe it will get linked at some point:

http://www.newgrounds.com/calendar/

A miniature calender linking to a big one somewhere would be pretty cool. I like the overview it gives, feels like it's easy to get a sense of how far away each event really is when you see the weeks. On that note: a customizable selection of content boxes on the community hub would be awesome! Totally personalizable. Forum overview, specific forum listings, rankings, staff news, artist news, general news, calenders...

BBS Signature

Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-07 21:51:58

great news, and great movies/games/art for madness day, as usual!
keep up the great work, tom!

i also liked krinkels part in the judging part of madness day...
it was cool.

Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-07 22:53:38

Congrats guys

Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-08 09:39:21

At 10/7/16 02:58 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Fair enough. Wonder if you're using any anti-virus software/if there is any that works with XP, or unofficial patches?

Had to get rid of it when it found - guess what - a virus within itself. The irony.

How about FireFox?

As I said, I'm considering getting Firefox in case anything else starts breaking.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-10-08 16:03:42

At 10/8/16 09:39 AM, DamnedByFate wrote: Had to get rid of it when it found - guess what - a virus within itself. The irony.

That''s messed up. :| Must be better anti-virus software out there though, they should safeguard their own files first.

As I said, I'm considering getting Firefox in case anything else starts breaking.

Alright.

BBS Signature

Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-11-05 11:41:31

At 10/5/16 12:47 PM, TomFulp wrote: @PsychoGoldfish just launched our new Community hub, a gateway to the forums, chat and other features that previously resided in navbar dropdowns.

Can someone post a link to the community hub? There isn't one on the main post.

Response to Madness 2016 Winners & New Hub 2016-11-05 19:25:01

At 11/5/16 11:41 AM, Agent-Ichabod wrote:
At 10/5/16 12:47 PM, TomFulp wrote: @PsychoGoldfish just launched our new Community hub, a gateway to the forums, chat and other features that previously resided in navbar dropdowns.
Can someone post a link to the community hub? There isn't one on the main post.

http://www.newgrounds.com/community

BBS Signature