00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zombiehit just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Game ideas that won't work

2,471 Views | 34 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Game ideas that won't work 2016-10-04 21:04:17

Title says it all, people. What kind of video game ideas that just simply won't work? Like turning Gran Turismo into Destruction Derby, any fighting game as a platformer, Resident Evil as a freakin' slot machine, etc...

Time to bust a move and get it started. Time's wastin'.

-Mace 2.0

Response to Game ideas that won't work 2016-10-04 21:49:42

A stealth-puzzle Sonic The Hedgehog game.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Game ideas that won't work 2016-10-04 22:18:56

A game idea that would never work is a truly realistic fps/shooter game. Too many things get taken into account during firefights, gun handling, experience, stamina, etc. It would be a very boring and quick-ending game... especially in a ground war setting

|NG Is Dead|

BBS Signature

Response to Game ideas that won't work 2016-10-05 05:56:43

Sonic the hedgehog actually doesn't work very well as a game idea. I know I've seen a video or read a blog post or something explaining this and the guy made a very good case.

Namely the problem with Sonic is the idea is you gotta go fast and race through the levels. But the level structure itself prevents this and/or except for the essentially various eye candy parts. In fact it's just not a very doable kind of game anyway due the fact if you were to make it as fast as he's supposedly able to go, the entire game would just be a blur and you're probably dead in about two seconds flat.

Mario works because his thing is "jumping high" which works as a game mechanic. Sonic doesn't because "going fast" just isn't very compatible with human gameplay. So you end up just edging along poke-slowing it in actual Sonic games and the levels take way too long. Someone might attempt to counter this argument with some speedrun claims, but fact of the matter is, through normal play, a single classic Sonic game is going to take you most of the entire day to get through, and that's assuming you don't somehow mess up and miss some chaos emerald or otherwise permanently screw yourself over.

It's just an all-around inferior game idea. Plus about the time Sonic came out all he can do is run and jump meanwhile the vast majority of other platformers had already moved well beyond that by that point in time.

Why die-hard Sonic fans exist is a mystery for the ages. The only saving grace to those games was the music and the boss fights.

And I'm not even gonna bother touching the newer stuff.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Game ideas that won't work 2016-10-05 09:31:56

I'd like to play a 3D action platformer MOBA, but there's no way to make a good MOBA that focuses on melee. The closest I think we could get to that is a Dynasty Warriors game with online competitive multiplayer.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Game ideas that won't work 2016-10-05 14:21:53

At 10/4/16 09:49 PM, Painbringer wrote: A stealth-puzzle Sonic The Hedgehog game.

Lost World (Wii U/PC) had a pretty decent one for Silent Forest Act 2.

Response to Game ideas that won't work 2016-10-05 16:38:54

At 10/5/16 02:21 PM, NanoRim wrote: Lost World (Wii U/PC) had a pretty decent one for Silent Forest Act 2.

You mean you have to sneak passed enemies and/or find keys/codes to unlock rooms?

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Game ideas that won't work 2016-10-05 17:49:44

At 10/5/16 04:38 PM, Painbringer wrote:
At 10/5/16 02:21 PM, NanoRim wrote: Lost World (Wii U/PC) had a pretty decent one for Silent Forest Act 2.
You mean you have to sneak passed enemies and/or find keys/codes to unlock rooms?

You have hide from being spotted by a search light.

Response to Game ideas that won't work 2016-10-05 17:55:32

At 10/5/16 05:49 PM, NanoRim wrote: You have hide from being spotted by a search light.

I assume you wait for the light to pass and just sprint to the next safe zone, right?

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Game ideas that won't work 2016-10-05 20:30:53

At 10/5/16 05:55 PM, Painbringer wrote:
At 10/5/16 05:49 PM, NanoRim wrote: You have to hide from being spotted by a search light.
I assume you wait for the light to pass and just sprint to the next safe zone, right?

Yup.

I believe the 3DS version also had a similar level.

Response to Game ideas that won't work 2016-10-05 20:53:37

Turning GTA into a Zombie-Survival game. It will just take away the Open-World exploring feeling from the game

Response to Game ideas that won't work 2016-10-05 23:54:46

I was in a group of nerds in college and we had the idea to create an RPG that had an extensive and detailed storyline with well developed characters and we came up with 2 concepts

1- If your main character dies, that's it. your game is erased and you have to start over from the beginning. No saves will save you, no phoenix down or revive spells to bring them back.

2- The character you make the strongest turns out to be your true nemesis and your main character and he/she/it have a fight to the death as your final battle.

Birds Born in a cage think Flying is an illness - Alejandro Jodorowsky

BBS Signature

Response to Game ideas that won't work 2016-10-06 00:42:10

A realistic street racing game.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Game ideas that won't work 2016-10-06 02:00:31

An RTS rhythm game.

BBS Signature

Response to Game ideas that won't work 2016-10-06 09:23:56

mmofps

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to Game ideas that won't work 2016-10-07 00:13:37

Sonic Kart

Response to Game ideas that won't work 2016-10-07 00:39:41

At 10/7/16 12:13 AM, NightRaid-NG wrote: Sonic Kart

Then again, that exists... As Sonic Drift on Game Gear, and Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing.

-Mace 2.0

Response to Game ideas that won't work 2016-10-07 00:43:20

At 10/7/16 12:39 AM, DCXME01 wrote:
Then again, that exists... As Sonic Drift on Game Gear, and Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing.

They still don't make any sense

Response to Game ideas that won't work 2016-10-07 11:21:03

At 10/7/16 12:43 AM, NightRaid-NG wrote:
At 10/7/16 12:39 AM, DCXME01 wrote:
They still don't make any sense

Makes SOME sense when other Sega characters can't run fast as Sonic.

-Mace 2.0

Response to Game ideas that won't work 2016-10-07 11:40:09

At 10/4/16 09:04 PM, DCXME01 wrote: Title says it all, people. What kind of video game ideas that just simply won't work? Like turning Gran Turismo into Destruction Derby, any fighting game as a platformer, Resident Evil as a freakin' slot machine, etc...

Well my opinion is now, the reflex game ( like geometry dash ) or rage games are good idea! Cuz reflex game like GD is cool, when you finsh an badass level you just feel so strong!

Response to Game ideas that won't work 2016-10-07 11:43:00

Making the MGS3 remake a fucking pachinko machine, for one.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to Game ideas that won't work 2016-10-08 10:49:20

Metal Gear Solid Pachinko

At 10/4/16 09:37 PM, usgurshaan178 wrote: Rocket League x Tennis

This could totally work, probably even better than the current basketball mode. Give it a small arena with the usual ramped edges that let you easily drive up the walls, split with a net down the middle and the ball explodes if it hits the ground. Get on it psyonix.

At 10/5/16 11:54 PM, Mrccbirdguy wrote: 1- If your main character dies, that's it. your game is erased and you have to start over from the beginning. No saves will save you, no phoenix down or revive spells to bring them back.

The recent Deus Ex game had an option for this, the "I Never Asked For This" mode. Same difficulty as the regular hard mode, and you can save, but once you die it all gets erased. And it's great, as an RPG it totally changes your mindset and how you approach things when there's no room for mistakes. If someone has a gun, or if you're even slightly outnumbered, it has so much more weight than a traditional difficulty ever could. Suddenly talking down an armed enemy isn't just a forgettable little gameplay puzzle but the most fucking tense shit. Walking away from danger becomes a valid option when no player would accept that in a traditional game.

You're putting much more thought not just into your answers but in planning what you're going to do when it goes south, rather than trying to get my point across in the debates I'm just trying to not die. I love that, and it's a severely underrated RPG element where instead of just letting the player roleplay as whatever, it gives you a preset character but with meaningful gameplay mechanics that enforce the role. Another good example is the Witcher, where you need to research monsters, brew potions and meditate rather than just hacking and slashing, it lends a massive amount of depth and authenticity to the game world and where your character fits into it.

The crucial part in DX is that you can only select it after beating the game once already, so you're starting out already familiar with Jensen and his limitations and a knowledge of the levels, removing the room for cheap deaths and clumsiness. I think to build a traditional game around this mechanic would need a lengthy, cushy tutorial sequence to get the player settled in which always kills any desire for a replay - and you couldn't make it skippable as that would defeat the purpose of perma death. I think it could be done, though, it just needs to be a very replayable game.

2- The character you make the strongest turns out to be your true nemesis and your main character and he/she/it have a fight to the death as your final battle.

This could be done, and easily, depending on how much you're willing to contrive the process. You could have one character who's pre determined to become the strongest regardless of player choice - that may sound cheesy but these things can be hidden remarkably well, or just use some sort of scaling mechanic and write individual scenarios for each character turning bad. Some RPGs have played with similar ideas before, like having to fight and kill all of your Aeons at the end of FFX.

At 10/7/16 11:43 AM, Radaketor wrote: Making the MGS3 remake a fucking pachinko machine, for one.
At 10/8/16 10:49 AM, Valjylmyr wrote: Metal Gear Solid Pachinko

pachinkomind

Clash of flappy plants vs infinitely random generated zombies with crafting craft

For real through fuck no mans sky.

Skyrim could have pressed the random button on every bandits body and advertised it as a feature rather than an abomination.

The worth of a man can be measured by the length of his reverb, and the girth of his waveform

Thees waveforme iz veri dangerous. Ve must deal vit it. squash

Response to Game ideas that won't work 2016-10-10 22:51:56

Colon Cleansing Simulator 3000.

Response to Game ideas that won't work 2016-10-10 22:58:45

At 10/4/16 09:04 PM, DCXME01 wrote: Title says it all, people. What kind of video game ideas that just simply won't work? Like turning Gran Turismo into Destruction Derby, any fighting game as a platformer, Resident Evil as a freakin' slot machine, etc...

one time i dreamed there would be a game for angry beavers and that never worked out except they were on nicktoons racing from what i've heard

Response to Game ideas that won't work 2016-10-11 01:14:54

At 10/5/16 11:20 PM, Dem0lecule wrote: No Man's Sky + MMO.

You mean Destiny? Well that actually worked out well.

Response to Game ideas that won't work 2016-10-11 03:11:19

Half-Life 3

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Game ideas that won't work 2016-10-11 12:07:37

Drug Abuse + Simulation Type = Never getting off the ground.

Response to Game ideas that won't work 2016-10-11 21:43:03

Welcome To This Horse's Anus.