00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Waaf just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Bernie Sanders

473 Views | 6 Replies

Bernie Sanders 2016-09-21 03:01:36

What's gonna happen to the old bastard? Will he still be relevant in the future?

The color of your skin is your uniform in this ultimate battle for the survival of the West.

Response to Bernie Sanders 2016-09-21 11:35:30

He is still popular in Vermont so my best guess is he will continue to serve as a senator until he decides to retire. As for his revolution, I'm skeptical but since I supported him it would be nice if we could have some progress toward some of the economic policies he was pushing for. I don't know if he personally will be relevant in the future, though.

Response to Bernie Sanders 2016-09-21 12:38:21 (edited 2016-09-21 12:40:08)

Bernie's current political aspirations consist on fundraising and supporting local politicians that support his general views. It's something that I very much appreciate from him, and something I wish the other independent parties (green, libertarian) would do more often instead of strictly trying (and spectacularly failing) to run for the oval office every four years. His positions and stances will move forward, and perhaps form something new and viable for us to support in 2020 or (more likely) 2024. It's encouraging how pragmatic he actually is, to be honest, while remaining true to his goals.

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Response to Bernie Sanders 2016-09-21 14:35:48

At 74 years old, he's no spring chicken. But as Gario mentioned, he has thrown his support around to local candidates, and considering that Sanders has massive support among the Gen Y crowds, who are voting age and is the largest demographic in America, his movement will have something to say in the future, assuming that they don't fall into the pitfalls that groups like the Tea Party went through and allow the rabble to run the asylum, which is a big if, considering that the "Bernie Bros" slowly derailed his presidential chances.

If nothing else though, third parties should be more invested in this strategy rather than pushing all their chips in every 4 years on a WH bid, even when the mainstream candidates are unpopular. (even if it is a bit of a red herring) Maybe then, they can get less of the crazy fringe supporters and get more of the pragmatic candidates that can work with Republicans and Democrats. Since nobody really can (or be asked to bother with) the winner-take-all election system, this is practically the only way that third parties and independent choices have of having more of a political influence on a state and federal level and not rely on the crazies and dopes.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Bernie Sanders 2016-09-23 22:49:09

He'll return the level of irrelevance he had prior to running. So he'll disappear without so much as a whimper.

Response to Bernie Sanders 2016-09-24 13:22:29

At 9/23/16 10:49 PM, Camarohusky wrote: He'll return the level of irrelevance he had prior to running. So he'll disappear without so much as a whimper.

I'm not so sure I believe that. While I think he's done as a national candidate, I think he took the right lesson from a race he never really expected to win anyway: I got close, there's people that are way more hungry for my message and my ideas then I ever thought. I may be unable to run another race like this personally, but I can throw my support, and new found fame and attention behind younger candidates at the state and local levels, change things from the ground up and eventually it may change the conversation at the national level. I think that's an incredibly shrewd and correct move that too few politicians who fail to win "the big one" do because in the end it's about them and their ego, not about service and making the country better.

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator

The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to Bernie Sanders 2016-09-24 16:32:00

At 9/24/16 01:22 PM, aviewaskewed wrote: I'm not so sure I believe that. While I think he's done as a national candidate, I think he took the right lesson from a race he never really expected to win anyway: I got close, there's people that are way more hungry for my message and my ideas then I ever thought. I may be unable to run another race like this personally, but I can throw my support, and new found fame and attention behind younger candidates at the state and local levels, change things from the ground up and eventually it may change the conversation at the national level. I think that's an incredibly shrewd and correct move that too few politicians who fail to win "the big one" do because in the end it's about them and their ego, not about service and making the country better.

I agree that he'll likely throw his support behind candidates at the local and state levels. Remember he had some sort of organization (or at least his supporters formed one, I don't remember which) and they've already gotten bogged down in infighting? Whether Bernie's ideas sink or swim is gonna depend on how well his followers can get organized at the local and state levels. Protests and ads only get you so far. You have to come up with a policy agenda and run candidates. While I think Bernie is willing to do that, I'm not so sure his followers are willing to put in the work.