00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Stupid Blair Witch Project rant

490 Views | 12 Replies

Stupid Blair Witch Project rant 2016-09-17 13:59:39

I just watched the movie for the first time a few nights ago to get hyped for the new Blair Witch.
I hated the movie.
Then I learned that leading up to the movie, there was a long running campaign to make the movie seem like it's a real documentary.
A LOT of work went into instilling the belief that this was real footage, which I assume (partnered with the fact that the genre of found footage wasn't saturated like it is now) made it a really great experience when it came out.
I respect the movie now that I know, and really like when movies or creators do stuff like this. However I'd still say that on it's own, the movie is pretty bad relative to today's movies, without the full experience it doesn't offer much.

That's not my rant

My rant is that people sensationalize the movie as they do everything else.
Not the production, campaign, etc. The movie.
I've seen multiple friends of mine compare the new season of American Horror Story to Blair Witch Project.
It's those edgy weed girls or 'sophisticated memers' saying that 'Omg AHS6 gives off a total Blair Witch vibe so hyped for the new movie'
Now I haven't watched AHS season 6. I got uninterested in the series after season 3.
But exactly what vibe could Blair Witch Project put off? It's an amateur found footage movie with no real horror elements and just a lot of character reactions that gets dubbed 'psychological thriller'.
The only thing that WOULD make that movie scary is thinking that it's real, meaning believing the entire campaign the producers put you through.

1. Why do people have to make everything a 'vibe'
2. Why do people sensationalize things for reasons that don't make sense
3. Why do I even care
4. Why did I even make this thread

I don't even wanna post this now that I think about it but usually when I complain someone ends up destroying my rant with a good point, so I'm looking forward to it.

Response to Stupid Blair Witch Project rant 2016-09-17 14:19:40

Ok...

Response to Stupid Blair Witch Project rant 2016-09-17 14:23:41

At 9/17/16 01:59 PM, BrandonIsNear wrote: My rant is that people sensationalize the movie as they do everything else.

I was about to make a point that Blair Witch Project sensationalised found footage horror, and as such any found-footage horror will be compared to it.

I will also claim that American horror movies have been awful for a long, long time (late 80s?). Blair Witch Project has set the bar for modern horror, unfortunately.

BBS Signature

Response to Stupid Blair Witch Project rant 2016-09-17 14:27:37

At 9/17/16 02:23 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 9/17/16 01:59 PM, BrandonIsNear wrote: My rant is that people sensationalize the movie as they do everything else.
I was about to make a point that Blair Witch Project sensationalised found footage horror, and as such any found-footage horror will be compared to it.

Honestly, Blair Witch Project as a movie is less enjoyable than something stupid like The Visit in my opinion.
At least The Visit was so bad it was funny to me. Blair Witch Project was just boring to watch without the outside force that was present at it's release.

Response to Stupid Blair Witch Project rant 2016-09-17 14:46:00

Back in 1999, I went to watch BWP with my brother and two family friends in a nearby theater.

Right after the movie ended, the two friends ranted about just how bad it was.

So yeah, it was as sucky back then as it is now.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Stupid Blair Witch Project rant 2016-09-17 14:48:26

At 9/17/16 02:46 PM, Painbringer wrote: Back in 1999, I went to watch BWP with my brother and two family friends in a nearby theater.

Right after the movie ended, the two friends ranted about just how bad it was.

So yeah, it was as sucky back then as it is now.

That's sad to hear. I like extensively planned things like that, and the overall critic reviews are pretty good- so I kind of just assumed it worked.
I guess critics were just as bad then as they are now.

Response to Stupid Blair Witch Project rant 2016-09-17 15:00:01

At 9/17/16 01:59 PM, BrandonIsNear wrote: Now I haven't watched AHS season 6. I got uninterested in the series after season 3.

this confirms that we have similar tastes in horror movies

thanks for the heads up to avoid this shit

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to Stupid Blair Witch Project rant 2016-09-17 23:46:10

At 9/17/16 01:59 PM, BrandonIsNear wrote:
My rant is that people sensationalize the movie as they do everything else.
I've seen multiple friends of mine compare the new season of American Horror Story to Blair Witch Project.
It's those edgy weed girls or 'sophisticated memers' saying that 'Omg AHS6 gives off a total Blair Witch vibe so hyped for the new movie'
Now I haven't watched AHS season 6. I got uninterested in the series after season 3.
But exactly what vibe could Blair Witch Project put off? It's an amateur found footage movie with no real horror elements and just a lot of character reactions that gets dubbed 'psychological thriller'.
The only thing that WOULD make that movie scary is thinking that it's real, meaning believing the entire campaign the producers put you through.

1. Why do people have to make everything a 'vibe'
2. Why do people sensationalize things for reasons that don't make sense
3. Why do I even care
4. Why did I even make this thread

I don't even wanna post this now that I think about it but usually when I complain someone ends up destroying my rant with a good point, so I'm looking forward to it.

This is going to be a long read but I did my best to break it up.

I'm going to jump around with answering your first 3 questions. I feel like your 4th one is kind of a cry for help in that you want the opinions of others.

I was in 6th grade when blair witch came out. Everyone else had gone to see it and I was like "Meh." It didn't seem like anything I would be interested in and I was too young to care. I finally saw it and just didn't think it was scary. The found footage idea was good, but they had interviews with the cast that pretty much revealed it wasn't real at all.
I gave it another shot a few years ago in college I finally got around to seeing it my reaction was still the same. "Meh. It could have been better."

1). About your rant, I think the reason you care is that it really takes away from what something is supposed to be when it gets generalized. Idiots make something about something else because deep down it comforts them. They're not smart enough to have a new idea or just think that a story can be its own entity without having to "be" another story or entity. Saying that something is like something else takes away from the creativity of both. Couple this with the fact that there are Assholes everywhere that have to say "This movie is the same as this movie because of minor details in the movie" and you start to get pissed.

If we're going to play this game, then Old yeller is practically CUJO because they both have dogs that get rabies.

Apocolypse now and Godfather are the same movie because Marlon Brando is in it.

Alice in wonderland and Wizard of oz are the same thing because a girl is transported to a magical world where she meets mysterious creatures.

If the world is going to do things like this, then there's no point in writing any more books or making any more movies because "It's just going to be like something else"

2)I think people come out and sensationalize this stuff because they want to look profound. They want their 15 minutes of fame on buzzfeed ( They'll make anyone famous.)

Again, completely alien concepts are scary monsters that need to simply become something familiar.

I watched the preview and didn't really see any connection to blair witch other than portions of it appear to take place in the woods and there's some kind of "Found Footage" But other than that, there's no other ties to it.

Good horror is really hard to do. Other than lame jump scares and excessive gore that has made its way to today's cinema, it's difficult to have a real good scare. The reason being is that even if there's some kind of eerie background to it, there's too many damn people online talking about it that can easily be skeptical or disprove it. You couldn't have the media hype that blair witch had back when it came out because the internet was just getting started. You could make a missing poster for the kids and there wouldn't be hundreds of people, facebook and 200 other sites to disprove it or call it a hoax.

3) Why you care - Because you're an artist. While writing out this longwinded reply I took a look at your art. Namely, your original art I see that you've got some creativity flowing through your head and that despite doing a few pieces of fanart, you'd like to be more noted for your original pieces.

If you get surrounded with people that have to generalize and say that "A is like B because of a minor similarity" Someone will eventually compare you to something and it might not be that good of a comparison, but it will stick. It'll make you think that "Whats the point in trying. So-and-so did it first, they'll just think I stole their idea. That thought will burrow into your head, despite the fact that you truly do have an original idea that's better executed

You're one of the few out there making new stuff that hasn't been done to death. Keep up the good work, Amigo .

Birds Born in a cage think Flying is an illness - Alejandro Jodorowsky

BBS Signature

Response to Stupid Blair Witch Project rant 2016-09-18 08:36:09

Is It Worth Watching Tho?

Response to Stupid Blair Witch Project rant 2016-09-18 09:30:54

I saw it yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised that it was not as bad as I thought it would be. Sad to see that it didn't really deviate away from the first in terms of plot and development, and it doesn't have the merit of being perceived as an actual documentary like the former did. It's easy to roll our eyes today, but a TON of people thought this was real footage at the time, in spite of the cast appearing on late night shows after the release. It was sensationalized because at the time, there wasn't really anything like it.

I think it's better than most of the "found footage" films out there, but doesn't come anywhere close to what I think is still the best found footage movie Cloverfield.

At 9/17/16 02:23 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: I will also claim that American horror movies have been awful for a long, long time (late 80s?). Blair Witch Project has set the bar for modern horror, unfortunately.

Horror movies in America have been getting less awful over the past year, in part due to Hollywood responding to the jumpscare burnout. Lights Out and The Conjuring 2 have been fairly well received both in terms of critic reviews and ticket sales. Hopefully, there will be a little more investment in the genre from the big studios.

BBS Signature

Response to Stupid Blair Witch Project rant 2016-09-18 12:05:27

At 9/17/16 11:46 PM, Mrccbirdguy wrote:
You're one of the few out there making new stuff that hasn't been done to death. Keep up the good work, Amigo .

I agree with your entire post and I'm glad you took the time to write it.
Also thanks for stroking my ego, now I'm gonna let it go to my head.

Response to Stupid Blair Witch Project rant 2016-09-18 12:33:13

horror's my favorite movie genre so I try to be at least moderately educated on the topic, and I believe you'll find very few people who actually think the Blair Witch Project is a good movie. In fact, it's pretty bad; nothing happens and the characters act like children. The ending is effective but that's all it has going for it. It's not important because of what the movie is, it's important because it's a masterpiece of marketing that will never again exist in the age of information and adherently revitalized found-footage, and because it's minimalistic horror that drew its strengths from the low-fi production.

It's historically and culturally significant but it only worked because the people who spent like $5 making it were really clever about how they released it; everyone knows it's not like an enjoyable movie. Watch REC or even V/H/S instead.

Side note American Horror Story is an actual fucking abomination of shit writing, teen fiction, and garbage pacing that masquerades itself as scary, I've watched 4 seasons just to be thorough and the show's fucking ridiculous, I hate it so much, please direct anyone under the impression that it's quality to fuck themselves.

At 9/18/16 09:30 AM, 2ITC wrote:
At 9/17/16 02:23 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: I will also claim that American horror movies have been awful for a long, long time (late 80s?). Blair Witch Project has set the bar for modern horror, unfortunately.
Horror movies in America have been getting less awful over the past year, in part due to Hollywood responding to the jumpscare burnout. Lights Out and The Conjuring 2 have been fairly well received both in terms of critic reviews and ticket sales. Hopefully, there will be a little more investment in the genre from the big studios.

What seems to be happening recently is that indie or prominently unknown horror directors are being given more big-budget opportunities and it's the best thing to have happened to horror in probably 10 years because, they're not all necessarily masterpieces but movies like The Witch, Green Room, The Gift if you count it, and more recently Lights Out and Don't Breathe have been breaking through the Paranormal Activity/The Purge mold that's grown over modern horror, and it's a really good direction to be going in.

Response to Stupid Blair Witch Project rant 2016-09-18 12:43:09

have seen the first, have no interest in seeing a sequel.

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"