Respond to this Topic
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer

As our mobile-friendly layout progresses, expect to see things get moved around. Here's an overview of changes and the thoughts behind them:

1) The navbar on our new pages doesn't have rollover dropdowns. This means we need to find better ways to represent the pages previously hidden in the dropdowns. One of the most important is the Classic Portal, which tons of people have always wanted to see back in the header. LOOK! It's back!

2) When we added Portal to the header, we removed "Channels", which linked to our Collections page. Collections and Series are now linked to from the Movies hub (top left column), while some noteworthy game collections are linked from the Games hub (lower left column).

3) Eventually we intend to have the Portal be a real-time feed of all incoming animation, games, art and music, at which point Classic Portal would be secondary for OGs. HOWEVER we'll make the classic judgment list more accessible as well as the classic portal trophies. We plan to have daily / weekly trophies in each content hub and could also have weekly review crew picks and underdogs for each content type. The new header is pure HTML so there is potential for custom-headers, meaning you could have the Classic Portal linked in your header even if other users don't.

4) The "Community" tab will ultimately link to a hub that includes forum listings AND chatrooms, along with some user rank highlights. We'll make room by ditching the Topic and Post count columns, which IMO aren't meaningful data to most users; we'll stick those totals somewhere else.

5) The Downloads hub will become "NG Logos & Loaders" and "NG Wallpapers" respectively, linked from the footer.

6) The Wiki will at least be linked from the footer and we'll find some other good spots.

7) Those big voting changes are still coming; lots of data is being shuffled to get us there. You will have a single voting point on content pages, vs the current system where you use the Pico vote bar and then the stars to add a score with your review. You'll also be able to edit your scores. If you're curious about what votes you've already logged, check out your private voting history.

8) The Collections section is now using the new layout. On mobile it will only show content and collections that work on mobile. One wish-list item: the option to display non-mobile content, for people who just want to see it all. The assumption is that casual mobile visitors don't want to scroll through / load content that won't work on mobile.

I'll stop before I get ahead of myself. Let me know if any of the changes in particular are freaking you out or if you're excited to come along for the ride!

If you missed it, check out the Mascot Jam Winners and the Best of August.

Final note, please watch this:

• Trump Vs. Clinton: Total Annihilation
    Trump Vs. Clinton: Total Annihilation by Pandemoniac

The action-packed 2016 Presidential debate in America between Trump and Clinton!!

Score
    4.28 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 17+

It's by @Pandemoniac, aka the Rowe brothers, who have resurfaced after 11 years. They were previously known for these classics going back to 2000:

• Barnyard Shenanigans!
    Barnyard Shenanigans! by Pandemoniac

Shenanigans in a barnyard.

Score
    3.78 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 17+
  • Sheindlin's Reign
    Sheindlin's Reign by Pandemoniac

Judge Judy Justice.

Score
    4.27 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 17+

We've got tons of great history and a great future, too!

You can help make that future even better by becoming a supporter for $3 a month. Lots of great perks and you get to see amazing things happen as our numbers grow!

This is the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Kirk-Cocaine
Kirk-Cocaine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Programmer
Response to Layout Changes! 2016-09-16 11:42:39 Reply

At 9/16/16 11:36 AM, TomFulp wrote: We'll make room by ditching the Topic and Post count columns, which aren't really meaningful data at this point

Well, that's only your opinion! :P

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Layout Changes! 2016-09-16 11:45:41 Reply

At 9/16/16 11:42 AM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote:
At 9/16/16 11:36 AM, TomFulp wrote: We'll make room by ditching the Topic and Post count columns, which aren't really meaningful data at this point

I'll add an IMO in there :P

BBS Signature
XwaynecoltX
XwaynecoltX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 54
Movie Buff
Response to Layout Changes! 2016-09-16 11:53:18 Reply

oh nice the future is apon us lets go mobile :)

~X~

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Layout Changes! 2016-09-16 12:15:06 Reply

I'm all for the changes discussed, I'd maybe want to finesse the css further down the road, i think it could be gussied up in some places without disturbing anything.

None

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Layout Changes! 2016-09-16 12:47:57 Reply

At 9/16/16 12:15 PM, Luis wrote: I'm all for the changes discussed, I'd maybe want to finesse the css further down the road, i think it could be gussied up in some places without disturbing anything.

Once the pages are switched over it should be a lot easier to spruce things up here and there. This layout is still considered "transitional" and meant to look like the existing layout, although I have a feeling it will stick around for a good while and just slowly evolve... Which is probably for the best.

BBS Signature
DomainAdministrator
DomainAdministrator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Layout Changes! 2016-09-16 13:30:15 (edited 2016-09-16 13:32:39) Reply

At 9/16/16 11:45 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/16/16 11:42 AM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote:
I'll add an IMO in there :P

As for the parody remix I couldn't see it on the big screen in my minds eye. Anything I animate and produce here I want to be brand-able by pseudonym retaining anonymity in the nation I love and making us both richer than shit.

Weather Modification INC.
It's Just Going To Get
WORSE

MysticSkillz
MysticSkillz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 35
Artist
Response to Layout Changes! 2016-09-16 13:32:50 Reply

I'm curious about the editing your scores on content, how long will you have before your score is final after editing?
I don't think it's be fair for people to keep changing the score when ever they feel if this is the case.

Check out my work at MysticSkillz

BBS Signature
DomainAdministrator
DomainAdministrator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Layout Changes! 2016-09-16 13:35:11 (edited 2016-09-16 13:37:26) Reply

At 9/16/16 11:40 AM, annefrankfanficfan64 wrote: exciting stuff but shouldn't the portal tab be the #1 tab actually

I am a alphabetical order type myself, that doesn't seem to be Tom's approach. Looks kind of like a what came first type of template. IMO

It's Just Going To Get
WORSE

DomainAdministrator
DomainAdministrator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Layout Changes! 2016-09-16 14:33:27 Reply

OMFG

Layout Changes!

It's Just Going To Get
WORSE

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to Layout Changes! 2016-09-16 14:39:29 Reply

At 9/16/16 01:32 PM, MysticSkillz wrote: I'm curious about the editing your scores on content, how long will you have before your score is final after editing?
I don't think it's be fair for people to keep changing the score when ever they feel if this is the case.

The plan is indefinite editing. Sometimes people change their minds way later, or go back to old mistakes, or other times a game fixes bugs and people re-evaluate.

BBS Signature
GreenSoap
GreenSoap
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Layout Changes! 2016-09-16 16:01:51 Reply

Hmm, yeah this sort of freaks me out.

The body, the panels and the navbar look very simplistic; it seems like you've just removed the gradients, the color splashes, and the filters, which I think makes it look really really dull. Is this really how it's gonna be? o':

I adore the design of the site as it is, and I can see why some of the changes here are necessary, but taking this 'simplistic' direction in styling, lessens the vibe, feeling and impact you get from the site, at least for me.

Sometimes less is more, I agree with that, but not in this case. I just don't wanna see yet another site taking this route ;c

Sorry if you've already covered this.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Movie Buff
Response to Layout Changes! 2016-09-16 16:02:21 (edited 2016-09-16 16:14:25) Reply

Absolutely shat myself when I saw the Classic Portal was missing from the drop down menu, then went into severe cardiac arrest - by the time I realized it's still there and just has its own tab now it was already too late.

You owe me some big hospital expenses, Tom, but move the portal tab to the far left (to prevent similar events in future) and we'll call it even.

At 9/16/16 04:01 PM, GreenSoap wrote: The body, the panels and the navbar look very simplistic; it seems like you've just removed the gradients, the color splashes, and the filters, which I think makes it look really really dull. Is this really how it's gonna be? o':

Agree with this as well, Newgrounds is literally the best looking site on the internet even if some parts are a bit obtuse, and a lot of it is down to that gritty urban aesthetic. The new pages look like the basic stuff I did for web design in college so they're really icky to me. I think the personality that NG emanates is one of its greatest strengths and what's most likely to catch the eye of new artists coming through.

BBS Signature
Psychopath
Psychopath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 51
Blank Slate
Response to Layout Changes! 2016-09-16 16:08:02 Reply

At 9/16/16 11:36 AM, TomFulp wrote: 7) Those big voting changes are still coming; lots of data is being shuffled to get us there. You will have a single voting point on content pages, vs the current system where you use the Pico vote bar and then the stars to add a score with your review. You'll also be able to edit your scores. If you're curious about what votes you've already logged, check out your private voting history.

I never liked this idea of watering down the voting system by mixing it with reviews. Please do not do this.

Bit
Bit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 55
Blank Slate
Response to Layout Changes! 2016-09-16 16:21:40 Reply

Why remove the drop-down menus? Doing this only makes navigation more difficult.

ThePhenomenon
ThePhenomenon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to Layout Changes! 2016-09-16 16:27:07 Reply

At 9/16/16 04:01 PM, GreenSoap wrote: Hmm, yeah this sort of freaks me out.

The body, the panels and the navbar look very simplistic; it seems like you've just removed the gradients, the color splashes, and the filters, which I think makes it look really really dull. Is this really how it's gonna be? o':

I adore the design of the site as it is, and I can see why some of the changes here are necessary, but taking this 'simplistic' direction in styling, lessens the vibe, feeling and impact you get from the site, at least for me.

Sometimes less is more, I agree with that, but not in this case. I just don't wanna see yet another site taking this route ;c

This. In fact, to a sane person with some knowledge in design and whatnot, it looks like shit. But these news topics always get flooded with fanboys so it's pointless to fight the tide.

VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 38
Writer
Response to Layout Changes! 2016-09-16 16:54:03 Reply

At 9/16/16 04:21 PM, Bit wrote: Why remove the drop-down menus? Doing this only makes navigation more difficult.

Most sites have dropped (pop-up) drop-down menus, mainly due to it sometimes interfering with any links that appear just below it, if you mouse down to click on something. We're kinda used to it here, but new users might not. In any case, it increases pages/ads displayed... though having more choices along the top of the 7 root pages would be helpful... idk, I think Google's campaign of total world control overshadows anything useful we could do here |: Might as well make NG an attractive corpse

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.
If I'm not here, you can find me racing on GTA: Online, gamertag: VicariousE

BBS Signature
YonusBahtzee
YonusBahtzee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Layout Changes! 2016-09-16 21:25:09 Reply

Sweet. I'm really excited to see how the mobile ui turns out.

yetanotherjohn
yetanotherjohn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to Layout Changes! 2016-09-16 22:03:35 Reply

At 9/16/16 11:36 AM, TomFulp wrote: 2) When we added Portal to the header, we removed "Channels", which linked to our Collections page. Collections and Series are now linked to from the Movies hub (top left column), while some noteworthy game collections are linked from the Games hub (lower left column).

The designer in me is bothered by the kerning. Other than my nitpick, nice update!

Layout Changes!

Corpsecrank
Corpsecrank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to Layout Changes! 2016-09-16 22:38:19 Reply

My main concern is that design is being implemented across all platforms. Why do desktop users need a layout that is mobile friendly? I see a lot of changes that effect those who are not on mobile devices and that doesn't really make much sense to me. Usually these changes are done in a way that only effects the layout specifically for those on mobile while the rest of the users see the normal layout.

BBS Signature
IvoAluminum
IvoAluminum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Animator
Response to Layout Changes! 2016-09-16 23:18:37 Reply

wow. I've noticed Newgrounds was updated

I formally have rebooted as this but also click this image.

BBS Signature
StaticSkull
StaticSkull
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Animator
Response to Layout Changes! 2016-09-16 23:39:35 Reply

I thought I noticed a difference

Ganon-Dorf
Ganon-Dorf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Game Developer
Response to Layout Changes! 2016-09-17 00:29:37 Reply

I can't find the classic portal, this makes me sad.

BBS Signature
FGIJonC
FGIJonC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 23
Filmmaker
Response to Layout Changes! 2016-09-17 01:15:57 Reply

At 9/16/16 11:36 AM, TomFulp wrote:
Final note, please watch this:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/679224

Oh my word! What a comeback!

Also, hell yeah for the layout stufffffffffffffffff

I have stuff I'm working on. Stay updated HERE if you want.

traintrash
traintrash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Layout Changes! 2016-09-17 02:28:47 Reply

At 9/16/16 11:36 AM, TomFulp wrote: 8) The Collections section is now using the new layout. On mobile it will only show content and collections that work on mobile.

I think this version looks good on desktop too

jonthomson
jonthomson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Layout Changes! 2016-09-17 05:48:42 Reply

1) The navbar on our new pages doesn't have rollover dropdowns. This means we need to find better ways to represent the pages previously hidden in the dropdowns. One of the most important is the Classic Portal, which tons of people have always wanted to see back in the header. LOOK! It's back!

Thank fuck for that, was wondering where it had gone on the games/movies drop downs

5TanLey
5TanLey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Layout Changes! 2016-09-17 06:28:48 Reply

Please let the panel graphic design be.. the new one is TOO minimalistic imo

signature

Whirlguy
Whirlguy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Animator
Response to Layout Changes! 2016-09-17 07:27:55 Reply

Wonderful! I happened to notice the mobile changes made for the channels section the other day. It kind of confused me when I switched to desktop later where they had disappeared lol. It's great to see these changes happen one by one. I wonder what's next!

BBS Signature
RobertClock
RobertClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 37
Animator
Response to Layout Changes! 2016-09-17 14:33:40 Reply

Scores aren't displaying for me on pages currently using the newer format

Layout Changes!

BBS Signature
armydanywolf
armydanywolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Layout Changes! 2016-09-17 17:03:42 Reply

At 9/16/16 11:36 AM, TomFulp wrote: Let me know if any of the changes in particular are freaking you out or if you're excited to come along for the ride!

all of them, if they are done only to accomodate mobile users...

what is easier to use on mobile devices is illogical on everything else.
the site layout always seemed perfect and thought-out, with lots of small details.
if it will become "mobile-friendly", it will become the same as every other site recently.
every button and text will have to be unnecessarily gigantic, every page will have to have no horizontal scrollbar, and a really simple vertical structure with nothing on the sides. also that horribly annoying crap when pages have dynamic width, so the content gets squeezed in the middle on smaller resolutions, instead of having a horizontal scrollbar and the same placement.

i hoped the time would never come when numbered pages will be replaced with infinite "Load more", and what mobiles cant do will be removed, but guess thats next.

1) The navbar on our new pages doesn't have rollover dropdowns. This means we need to find better ways to represent the pages previously hidden in the dropdowns.

why cant the dropdowns just appear on hovering AND clicking? i just now noticed clicking the buttons themselves doesnt open the same page as the top menü item, so the best way would be if the buttons had two states:

it would be in an inactive state until you hover over it or click it without hovering ( tapping on mobiles), then it would go in an active state, meaning it would do the dropdown menü and clicking on the top button in this state would direct the user to the link of the button.
this way it would stay the same for non-mobile users, and mobile users could tap for the dropdown and tap the menü items or the button again to direct to the page... its not like this is an alien thing to them, most of the "mobile-friendly" websites now have that "hamburger button" (the three row menü button) which brings down the choices when clicked/tapped.

At 9/16/16 10:38 PM, Corpsecrank wrote: My main concern is that design is being implemented across all platforms. Why do desktop users need a layout that is mobile friendly? I see a lot of changes that effect those who are not on mobile devices and that doesn't really make much sense to me. Usually these changes are done in a way that only effects the layout specifically for those on mobile while the rest of the users see the normal layout.

this is what i dont understand either. there could always be more than one CSS files (stylesheet) to apply when different devices are used. or a different subdomain for mobile users, like 'm.youtube.com' (which... redirects to the basic one and just adds '?app=desktop' to the url for me..?)
there is even a site which is a "UNOFFICIAL WEB APP" for mobiles: http://newgroundsmobile.com/
detecting mobiles could work with something like this (plain javascript, found on Stack Overflow and edited by me):

function checkMobile() {
if( /Android|webOS|iPhone|iPad|iPod|BlackBerry|IEMobile|Opera Mini/i.test(navigator.userAgent) ) {
var ismobile = true;
}

var cssPath = "standard.css";
if ( ismobile === true)
    cssPath = "mobile.css";

var fileref = document.createElement("link");

fileref.setAttribute("rel", "stylesheet");
fileref.setAttribute("type", "text/css");
fileref.setAttribute("href", cssPath);

document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0].appendChild(fileref);
}

and could be executed on 'onload' , by putting it as the onload attribute of the body

<body onload=" checkMobile()">

or maybe this could be used: https://github.com/serbanghita/Mobile-Detect
something like these would have to work.
there is even the common resolution check thing

<link href="mobile.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="only screen and (max-width: 400px)" >

but this would apply the css to everyone with low resolution, even non-mobile users.

newgrounds was always the stable thing in a lot of peoples' lives, while most of the other sites changed. and not like the users liked it, just have to look at the comments and ratio of up and downvotes on the official youtube change announcement videos (and the reply videos, when that feature still existed.).
please dont ruin what you built up, there are so many other solutions.
the layout determines how people see and experience the site, and every aspect and detail is important. what you built up logically shouldnt be changed because of being compelled, or how to say.