00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MutantZulu81241 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

No audio jack on new iPhone

1,633 Views | 25 Replies

No audio jack on new iPhone 2016-09-08 06:42:50

Wow. You're fucking stupid, Apple. There's going to be such a huge influx of new Android users.

BBS Signature

Response to No audio jack on new iPhone 2016-09-08 06:51:40

At 9/8/16 06:44 AM, Xenomit wrote: There will be people who defend the 160 dollar earbuds that you have to charge every 5 hours

Yeah, the dumbass writers from tech review sites, who are literally paid to kiss Apple's ass no matter what.

BBS Signature

Response to No audio jack on new iPhone 2016-09-08 07:19:34

Love the twitter 'memes' for iphone daring to label their move as courageous, or motivated by courage I should say. Outrageous and motivated by money more like.

But yeah, love em;

https://twitter.com/gilbertjasono/status/773590705163808768
https://twitter.com/KenneyNL/status/773615510814593024
https://twitter.com/fraggletastic/status/773656083290288129

Theres gonna be so many lost airbuds it'll be crazy. What are the slim chances that one will be able to buy a single replacement airbud that will work with their current one? Zero I'd wager.

At 9/8/16 06:51 AM, PleasantPeasant wrote:
Yeah, the dumbass writers from tech review sites, who are literally paid to kiss Apple's ass no matter what.

Best

The beauty of the headphone cable is just like the beauty of a tampon string: it is there to help you keep track of a very important item, and help you fish it out of whatever nook and cranny it might have fallen into.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to No audio jack on new iPhone 2016-09-08 07:30:28

You simple idiots.

That ugly thing needed to die. The conventional audio connector is a waste of space that can be used for other components. Despite being nothing more than three points of contact on the inside of the phone, it has been the most obtrusive component in every cell phone for a decade. In terms of volume, it is large enough that removing it effectively doubles the computing power of a smartphone. The audio jack is like a cancerous tumor growing on the face of electronics engineering convention and it must be amputated. It is an archaic remnant of our evolutionary ancestry. It is a vestigial organ that goes completely unused the majority of the time. It is a point of failure which utterly ruins the mobility and durability of a phone designed with any active users in mind.

If any of you have dismantled or assembled modern smartphones, you know what I am talking about. The parts of a cell smartphone are tightly packed like a game of Tetris with the audio port being that one infuriating hole that can never be filled. If any of you have run with headphones plugged into a phone, you also know what I am talking about. The headphone jack creates an area of immobility 4 centimeters off the edge of the port where the relatively enormous cable plugs in. Anything moving perpendicular to the phone face will snap the jack off, destroying the headphone cable and damaging the port.

Finally. It's time to evolve.

BBS Signature

Response to No audio jack on new iPhone 2016-09-08 08:42:46

By the time my contract is up on my iPhone 6+ the iPhone 18 will be out. I ain't scared.

BBS Signature

Response to No audio jack on new iPhone 2016-09-08 08:56:46

At 9/8/16 08:42 AM, Kayleeee wrote: By the time my contract is up on my iPhone 6+ the iPhone 18 will be out. I ain't scared.

This. I used to be sad that I got my first iPhone in December of 2015, but it looks like I lucked out by having to not deal with this nonsense.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to No audio jack on new iPhone 2016-09-08 09:02:52

At 9/8/16 07:30 AM, Trillionaire wrote: Finally. It's time to evolve.

Are you trolling?

BBS Signature

Response to No audio jack on new iPhone 2016-09-08 09:27:31

At 9/8/16 07:30 AM, Trillionaire wrote: You simple idiots.

Found the paid Apple shill.

Response to No audio jack on new iPhone 2016-09-08 09:47:33

this topic is always so hilarious, apple fans being so damn brainwashed and all.

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

At 9/8/16 07:30 AM, Trillionaire wrote: That ugly thing needed to die.

Couldn't agree more! It's no rumor that Apple has really been slipping in terms of innovation. And while we can all chuckle and mock the whole "courage" thing, it is definitely a bold move, but one that nobody was willing to take the first step. It helps that Apple is still by far the number one leader in their market, and if any other company tried this, I would expect a lot more resistance. People right now won't be able to fully appreciate the real estate opportunities now that the 3.5mm port is gone. That's okay.

Also, there is already a ton of misinformation about it. I just finished listening to a guy talk about how he thinks his old headphones are useless now. Nope! New lightning headphones and an adapter are included. Think $160 in the new airpods is bullshit? Then don't buy them! There's plenty of people who don't want to buy the Watch, too. Apple's not really sweating it.

All that being said, I'm still a little unsure of how the new iPhone as a whole will perform. The bar is incredibly high and it's possible that even something as innovative as non-analog headphones won't be enough to get people to let go of their 5's and 6's. Still expecting a > $45 million profit.

EDIT:

At 9/8/16 07:19 AM, Gagsy wrote: Theres gonna be so many lost airbuds it'll be crazy.

No audio jack on new iPhone

BBS Signature

Response to No audio jack on new iPhone 2016-09-08 10:20:38

I have everything I need with my now almost 4-year-old iPhone 5, won't switch unless it gets so damaged it's beyond redemption.

Response to No audio jack on new iPhone 2016-09-08 11:36:34

At 9/8/16 10:20 AM, GreenSoap wrote: I have everything I need with my now almost 4-year-old iPhone 5, won't switch unless it gets so damaged it's beyond redemption.

You're lucky. Mine had the lock button fail and the battery would drain.

BBS Signature

Response to No audio jack on new iPhone 2016-09-08 14:06:41

At 9/8/16 06:42 AM, PleasantPeasant wrote: Wow. You're fucking stupid, Apple.

Welp, there's no good reason on buying this + stupidy overpriced headphones.

Time to bust a move and get it started. Time's wastin'.

-Mace 2.0

Response to No audio jack on new iPhone 2016-09-08 14:16:58

At 9/8/16 07:30 AM, Trillionaire wrote:

I've ran over 900 miles around my half a mile block this year, and have never had a problem with my audio jack. Infact, the only problems I've had with my headphones would be when the wires get all tangled up, and with this proprietary device on the iPhone 7, the cords getting tangled will actually be WORSE.

Maybe don't hold it like a chimp?

Also, whose choice was it to assemble/dissemble phones for a living? Yours. You took the commitment to choose that as your career. That'd be like me as a police officer complaining that people will attack me for merely wearing the uniform. It's a hazard and commitment I took as part of the job.

BBS Signature

I hear they're making earbuds that'll plug directly into the phone's charging port - A great idea IMO.

But I also hear they will be sold separately.

EDIT:
The Lightning earbuds WILL come with the phone!

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to No audio jack on new iPhone 2016-09-08 16:01:46

At 9/8/16 09:53 AM, 2ITC wrote:
At 9/8/16 07:30 AM, Trillionaire wrote: That ugly thing needed to die.
Couldn't agree more! It's no rumor that Apple has really been slipping in terms of innovation. And while we can all chuckle and mock the whole "courage" thing, it is definitely a bold move, but one that nobody was willing to take the first step.

Apple hasn't innovated anything in a decade. They're experts in marketing, not innovation.

People right now won't be able to fully appreciate the real estate opportunities now that the 3.5mm port is gone. That's okay.

Real estate opportunities? The 3.5mm jack isn't that big. At best, you could use it to make the phone thinner, but you couldn't use than tiny amount of space to make the phone any more powerful. You're buying into the marketing buzz.

Also, there is already a ton of misinformation about it. I just finished listening to a guy talk about how he thinks his old headphones are useless now. Nope! New lightning headphones and an adapter are included. Think $160 in the new airpods is bullshit? Then don't buy them! There's plenty of people who don't want to buy the Watch, too. Apple's not really sweating it.

You need an adapter to use something as common as headphones and earbuds? You must realize how stupid this sounds. You won't even be able to charge your phone and listen to music at the same time.

it's possible that even something as innovative as non-analog headphones won't be enough to get people to let go of their 5's and 6's.

There's nothing innovative about wireless headphones. This is old tech.

At 9/8/16 04:01 PM, Bit wrote: There's nothing innovative about wireless headphones. This is old tech.

Just want to emphasise this.
Even though something is possible, it doesn't mean it's a good idea.

BBS Signature

Response to No audio jack on new iPhone 2016-09-08 18:35:54

They were trying to make the phone thinner, so that meant getting rid of the audio jack, though the $160 wireless earbuds seem like a pretty blatant cash grab. It will probably work though, even though there are plenty of better and cheaper alternatives.

Response to No audio jack on new iPhone 2016-09-08 19:36:38

At 9/8/16 04:36 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Even though something is possible, it doesn't mean it's a good idea.

The irony here!

Anyone using their phones as things other than, yaknow, phones, are as they say "doin it wrong". Why would anyone even need to use an audio jack on a phone if they're using it as an actual phone? And I say this as someone who doesn't even own any Apple products.

Why are you playing games on your phone? Play games on your desktop or laptop computer or your gaming console.
Why are you listening to music on your phone? Listen to music on MP3 players, CD players, your desktop, your laptop, cassette players, etc...

In short, why are you using your phone as anything other than a phone? This whole smartphone craze and people who cater to it are what's wrong. I'm tired of everything being dumbed down just in the off chance someone accesses the thing from their phone. Websites are dumbed down and OSes are dumbed down these days all in the ridiculously retarded assumption everyone uses their phones for all these things.

Instead of catering everything to smartphone users, how about we stop doing that?

I mean I get here we have some feature which is then later removed, but honestly any features beyond "being a phone" just shouldn't exist on phones anyway.

You honestly shouldn't be able to play games or browse the web or listen to music, etc on your phone. So I am not upset Apple is removing some feature which shouldn't have existed in the first place. Now if only they'd remove all the other features, and if Google will follow suit, and everyone stops dumbing everything down on account of smartphone users, and we can get back to phones just being phones, that'd be great.

Now if only a few more Pokemon Go users could wander into traffic...

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to No audio jack on new iPhone 2016-09-08 20:31:05

At 9/8/16 04:01 PM, Bit wrote: Real estate opportunities? The 3.5mm jack isn't that big. At best, you could use it to make the phone thinner, but you couldn't use than tiny amount of space to make the phone any more powerful. You're buying into the marketing buzz.

You might have been correct like 7 years ago, but advances in efficient data storage and throughput says otherwise. And it's interesting that you bring up marketing because…

You need an adapter to use something as common as headphones and earbuds? You must realize how stupid this sounds. You won't even be able to charge your phone and listen to music at the same time.

Apple's marketing department has very likely factored this in and determined that the benefit of eliminating the port is greater than the cost of upsetting consumers up in arms over not being able to charge and listen at the same time. Put simply, there's probably not enough of you who are going to seriously make a dent in sales long-term. However, if you want the iPhone 7 really badly, but are EXTREMELY upset that you can't charge and listen, Apple's got you covered bro.

Also, it's not like the audio jack has been the singular big project on Apple's minds. They're interested in a multitude of big ideas.

There's nothing innovative about wireless headphones. This is old tech.

This is akin to saying that there is nothing innovative about cars. A lot has changed, and a lot is going to change because of risky but necessary decisions like this one. Apple has determined that cables are bullshit, and I am on board with that business model.

BBS Signature

Response to No audio jack on new iPhone 2016-09-09 02:35:18

At 9/8/16 07:36 PM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 9/8/16 04:36 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Even though something is possible, it doesn't mean it's a good idea.
The irony here!
Anyone using their phones as things other than, yaknow, phones, are as they say "doin it wrong". Why would anyone even need to use an audio jack on a phone if they're using it as an actual phone?

Eh, I don't really like that you've used my quote about mis-design to facilitate your dislike of the multi-functionality of smart phones.

I ain't keen on people using phones for web-browsing, but that's because people over-use the feature rather than poor design.

BBS Signature

At 9/8/16 09:53 AM, 2ITC wrote: EDIT:
At 9/8/16 07:19 AM, Gagsy wrote: Theres gonna be so many lost airbuds it'll be crazy.

Haha Airbud.

I think this audio jack thing will play out like the dvd vs blu-ray thing. Do you remember when Blu-ray was the next big thing and we would all stop using dvds within a couple of years? These audio jackless iphones will be playing the role of the Blu-ray disc this time round.

At 9/8/16 07:36 PM, NeonSpider wrote: and we can get back to phones just being phones, that'd be great.

But why? You keep saying its because smart phones have been 'dumbed down' but that in itself is surely an oxymoron, because the most dumbed down version of a phone will be as you want - just a phone with no special features.

You might be cool having just a phone that makes calls and texts (are texts even allowed according to you?), but for me I would not be without a phone that I couldn't use as a portable music device as well. It makes a world of difference for me when I'm walking my dogs to just stick to having one item in my pocket - my smart phone and nothing else.

I used to love my own cd walkman when I was a teenager, in fact I still refuse to get rid of it, just in case - but it was a pain for dog walking. I had to take a drawstring bag with me just so I could take the thing out and of course I was limited to one cd unless I also took other cds with me, where as with an mp3 player I have a lot more choice for my outdoors listening pleasure with much less bulkiness.

The same applies to train journeys with the music but then also being able to access games, the internet, e-books makes lonely journeys a lot more pleasant. Again, what exactly is wrong with that?

I'm not one for the facebook/instagram culture we now live in but to me it is without question that smart phones are one of the best innovations of this century, thus far.

Its ok to prefer simple phones - hell I even still know people who won't use mobile phones at all, but to claim that a product is 'dumbed down' because you just don't agree with it is a fallacy.

There is an old saying "Love the sinner hate the sin" (don't hate the player, hate the game for you cool cats out there), I'd argue with the phone industry it is the other around. Hate the fools who do wander into traffic glued to their phones or who are more consumed with filming a shocking incident rather than aiding in it or the biggest sin of all the endless stream of selfies but don't hate the product itself which offers a vast way to aid people in their everyday lives as well -

From anxiety apps which can be a real help when someone is having a panic attack in public to acting as a pedometer which helpfully stored all your data for easy access. Alone at night in an unfamiliar area? Google or even specially designed apps will be able to find you the nearest registered taxi operator for the area to get you back home safely. There are apps which allow students to record their lectures without the need of buying expensive audio equipment they can't afford.

These are just a few examples of the positives smart phones have in peoples lives.

BBS Signature

Response to No audio jack on new iPhone 2016-09-09 03:51:54

My Nokia 1110 doesn't have an audio jack and nobody talks about that.

BBS Signature

Response to No audio jack on new iPhone 2016-09-09 05:10:43

At 9/9/16 02:35 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Eh, I don't really like that you've used my quote about mis-design to facilitate your dislike of the multi-functionality of smart phones.

Well I thought it was very fitting. Just because something is possible doesn't mean it's a good idea, and I agree with that. Maybe you meant something very specific with that statement, but my thinking is just because everything could cater to smartphones doesn't mean that's a good idea. Yet that seems to be the current trend.

I ain't keen on people using phones for web-browsing, but that's because people over-use the feature rather than poor design.

The poor design comes into play when websites are dumbed down *for everyone* on account of the possibility some users may be on a smartphone. The poor design comes into play when modern OS GUIs are dumbed down *for everyone* in the off chance some of those users might be running the thing on a smartphone. Etc

At 9/9/16 03:26 AM, Gagsy wrote: But why? You keep saying its because smart phones have been 'dumbed down' but that in itself is surely an oxymoron, because the most dumbed down version of a phone will be as you want - just a phone with no special features.

You misunderstand. The existence of smartphones has dumbed-down a lot of things. If you don't even use a smartphone you are still affected by this. Websites are dumbed down *for everyone* just to suit smartphone users. OSes are dumbed down *for everyone* in the off-chance someone is running the thing on a smartphone. There's a very real possibility some software you use has been dumbed down to satisfy smartphone users, and it'll be dumbed-down for you even if you never touched a smartphone and use it on a regular desktop computer. See the problem here?

You might be cool having just a phone that makes calls and texts (are texts even allowed according to you?), but for me I would not be without a phone that I couldn't use as a portable music device as well. It makes a world of difference for me when I'm walking my dogs to just stick to having one item in my pocket - my smart phone and nothing else.

I would prefer cell phones were just cell phones like in the flip phone days, yes. An MP3 player should fit in your pocket nicely and suit for the music listening use case. I'm of the philosophy everything should do one thing and do it well, not try to be everything all at once.

The same applies to train journeys with the music but then also being able to access games, the internet, e-books makes lonely journeys a lot more pleasant. Again, what exactly is wrong with that?

Nothing wrong if you aren't bothering other people with it. But a lot of people are rude about it. They're not paying attention on the roads because they're busy with their smartphones, and causing potential accidents. Or they're just taking endless selfies just about everywhere in public and being generally annoying.

Its ok to prefer simple phones - hell I even still know people who won't use mobile phones at all, but to claim that a product is 'dumbed down' because you just don't agree with it is a fallacy.

Not a fallacy. The existence of smartphones has indeed dumbed down a lot of things. Websites are dumbed-down. OS GUI design is dumbed-down. Sometimes userland programs are dumbed-down. You never have to touch a smartphone and yet all these things will be dumbed-down for you because smartphones exist and people cater things to them when they really shouldn't.

These are just a few examples of the positives smart phones have in peoples lives.

I mean, there's uses to them, but it just seems design has suffered greatly all merely to appease smartphone users. Also many smartphone users abuse the hell out of their phones. There's also the entitlement crowd who break and replace their phones all the time and feel entitled to the latest and greatest. And I pretty much associate smartphones with brats, for the most part. Because, yes, people abusing smartphones in public will be the most visible.

Now obviously you're not doing that stuff. Cool. But a lot of people are. And regardless of what you're doing, there's still all the dumbing-down of stuff merely to appease smartphone users. That's why, for example, Windows lost the Start menu -- because it wasn't convenient for smartphones. That's a bad design decision that affects everyone. There's similar bad design decisions in most modern OSes and many pieces of modern software.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to No audio jack on new iPhone 2016-09-09 06:30:50

At 9/9/16 05:10 AM, NeonSpider wrote:
Now obviously you're not doing that stuff. Cool. But a lot of people are. And regardless of what you're doing, there's still all the dumbing-down of stuff merely to appease smartphone users. That's why, for example, Windows lost the Start menu -- because it wasn't convenient for smartphones. That's a bad design decision that affects everyone. There's similar bad design decisions in most modern OSes and many pieces of modern software.

I will give you the Windows thing.

My poor 60 year old dad got himself a new laptop recently and he just could not use it. He reverted to his old laptop which could hardly run a .txt webpage without running into major problems until I got involved and sorted it out for him. I've always been good with technology, not in a techie way, but in a consumer way but even I bloody hated it. I couldn't imagine anyone under 20 getting on with it. Totally flawed.

I am all for mobile friendly versions of websites though but it should no way impede your experience when using a standard computer/PC which should always give you the ultimate definition of a website or software.

But then are we just repeating the same cycle our parents likely went through when new technology took off. I don't know how I'll feel when I'm 60 and I've got to call my nephew up to see if he can sort out my new gizmo while I'm still using an old defunct smart phone.

BBS Signature

Response to No audio jack on new iPhone 2016-09-15 18:01:38

At 9/15/16 05:00 PM, SansNumbers wrote:
At 9/15/16 01:31 PM, Bit wrote: Wew lad. People are still spouting that Apple propaganda? Apple did not invent the GUI.
The Mac was the first commercially distributed computer to use a GUI, which isn't exactly the same thing but for the purposes of this point it's similar enough.

Actually, the Xerox Star was the first commercially-distributed computer to use a GUI.

Then Apple stole the idea, Microsoft stole the idea, and then Steve Jobs got mad at Bill Gates for stealing the same idea that he stole.

In any case, when Apple revealed their GUI-having computer, all the nerds who were using computers in 1984 thought it was stupid as hell,

Well, first Apple released the Lisa, which was a total flop. Then they released the Macintosh which actually had a lot of fans. I don't really know what point you're trying to make here. Lots of users really liked the Macintosh's GUI.

but now we are typing at each other through a graphical interface unless you're a crazy person who uses Lynx.

All thanks to Xerox, who actually did invent the GUI.

I don't think it's unreasonable to predict that wireless headphones will become more popular and Apple will not suffer any major loss from this decision.

Apple fanboys will eat up the new Iphone because it's a good excuse to have another slurp of Steve Jobs' rotting dick, but I don't see this change earning Apple any new fans. Smartphone users have already showed their disapproval of the 1/8" jack's removal, and this is just another one of the many divides that have formed between Apple and their potential customers over the years.

Dumb ideas for dumb people, like removing the 1/8" jack from smartphones, are why so many people think that Apple is a shit company.