00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

WannabePyx just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Scientists discover Dark Milky Way

4,938 Views | 129 Replies

Response to Scientists discover Dark Milky Way 2016-08-28 18:20:50

At 8/28/16 06:11 PM, Kayleeee wrote: I hope the aliens will come and abduct me soon.

don't we all

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to Scientists discover Dark Milky Way 2016-08-28 18:35:06

At 8/28/16 06:20 PM, billybobthwarten wrote:
At 8/28/16 06:11 PM, Kayleeee wrote: I hope the aliens will come and abduct me soon.
don't we all

I don't know. Do you?

BBS Signature

Response to Scientists discover Dark Milky Way 2016-08-28 18:43:46

At 8/28/16 06:35 PM, Kayleeee wrote:
At 8/28/16 06:20 PM, billybobthwarten wrote:
don't we all
I don't know. Do you?

for you to get abducted? yes, it's a life long dream

myself, i wouldn't mind all that human on a spaceship taking planet tours and doing cool space stuff type deal.

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to Scientists discover Dark Milky Way 2016-08-28 19:18:34

At 8/28/16 02:52 PM, annefrankfanficfan64 wrote: in this parallel dark milky way there's a bizarro version of every person on earth. it's on a planet called dark earth

Does every person have an evil beard and mustache?

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Scientists discover Dark Milky Way 2016-08-28 19:19:31

At 8/28/16 02:53 PM, annefrankfanficfan64 wrote: f*ck sake dude did you have to go and snipe the 30th post? this is the last time i entertain your stupid threads with replies if you're going to be that way. die moron

What's up with you and the 30th post? Explain your fascination.

BBS Signature

At 8/28/16 05:04 PM, icecreammac wrote:
No. No, it's not using today's rates of travel. Our fastest rocket reached a speed of 73.6 km/s. To compare, light travels at a little under a whopping 300,000 km/s. Put simply, "today's rates of travel" isn't even catching a whiff of light's dust.

Yes, we will build faster ways of travel. How else will we explore like Star Trek?

There's no dark matter on the moon. What does the moon have to do with the constellation?

Who knows what minerals could be mined from the moon? It could also make a great base camp for outer space travel.

BBS Signature

Response to Scientists discover Dark Milky Way 2016-08-28 22:25:41

At 8/28/16 05:44 PM, Fireshadows wrote: For some reason the theory of a possible identical universe made of antimatter came to my mind.

Perhaps, exploring outer space should always be a priority. Who knows what will be discovered?

BBS Signature

Response to Scientists discover Dark Milky Way 2016-08-29 02:08:07

At 8/28/16 10:23 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Yes, we will build faster ways of travel. How else will we explore like Star Trek?

You're right. We will built faster ships. But my point is that even if we reach light-speed, it'll still take us 560 years at the minimum to get any dark matter from that constellation. We will never be able to get fast enough that harvesting dark matter will be a profitable undertaking, and we will never reach speeds that let us explore like in Star Trek. It's physically impossible.

Who knows what minerals could be mined from the moon? It could also make a great base camp for outer space travel.

This, I'm not gonna argue against. There could be some useful stuff up there. Gotta make sure it's worth the expenses, though.

I scream! You scream! We all scream for ice cream!

Response to Scientists discover Dark Milky Way 2016-08-29 03:44:25

At 8/29/16 02:08 AM, icecreammac wrote: it'll still take us 560 years at the minimum to get any dark matter from that constellation

No. Jesus fucking christ no. The Dragonfly 44 galaxy is in the Coma Cluster. The Coma Cluster is around 99 megaparsec from Earth. This Dragonfly 44 "dark matter galaxy" is over 325 million lightyears away. The light we are observing from the Dragonfly 44 galaxy began its journey across spacetime during the fucking Carboniferous Period.

The Juno Spacecraft would take 3.9 quadrillion years to get there.

Breakthrough Starshot would take 1.625 billion years to get there.

If we somehow managed to send information to the Dragonfly 44 galaxy, let's say a message like "How is DoctorStrongbad such an airhead? Does he even tie his own shoes?", it would get there a hundred million years after earth's tectonic plates have collided back into each other to form a new supercontinent and then started to separate once again.

Just an 02er.

Response to Scientists discover Dark Milky Way 2016-08-29 04:12:25

At 8/29/16 03:44 AM, Profanity wrote:
At 8/29/16 02:08 AM, icecreammac wrote: it'll still take us 560 years at the minimum to get any dark matter from that constellation
No. Jesus fucking christ no. The Dragonfly 44 galaxy is in the Coma Cluster. The Coma Cluster is around 99 megaparsec from Earth. This Dragonfly 44 "dark matter galaxy" is over 325 million lightyears away. The light we are observing from the Dragonfly 44 galaxy began its journey across spacetime during the fucking Carboniferous Period.

That's the wrong Coma Cluster. The dark Milky Way from the article is in the Coma Star Cluster, which is the Coma constellation. You're thinking of the Coma galaxy cluster.

Response to Scientists discover Dark Milky Way 2016-08-29 08:28:28

sweet what the coordinates?

Response to Scientists discover Dark Milky Way 2016-08-29 10:45:58

There are many UFOs and aliens out there.

BBS Signature

Response to Scientists discover Dark Milky Way 2016-08-29 10:46:53

At 8/29/16 10:45 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
There are many UFOs and aliens out there.

My dude.

BBS Signature

Response to Scientists discover Dark Milky Way 2016-08-29 10:47:40

At 8/28/16 06:43 PM, billybobthwarten wrote: myself, i wouldn't mind all that human on a spaceship taking planet tours and doing cool space stuff type deal.

Being on a UFO and hanging with space aliens could be exciting and interesting.

BBS Signature

Response to Scientists discover Dark Milky Way 2016-08-29 18:45:47

At 8/29/16 04:12 AM, icecreammac wrote:
At 8/29/16 03:44 AM, Profanity wrote:
No... Carboniferous Period.
That's the wrong Coma Cluster. The dark Milky Way from the article is in the Coma Star Cluster, which is the Coma constellation. You're thinking of the Coma galaxy cluster.

Why are you pretending to know what you're talking about? If the Dragonfly 44 galaxy were located as near to Earth as you say, the entire milky way would collapse. The Milky Way Galaxy is 100,000 lightyears across. Our closest galactic neighbor is Andromeda Galaxy, which is 2.5 million lightyears away. Your misunderstanding of this astronomical concept is on par with a child holding up their thumb and forefinger to squash people on the horizon.

The Dragonfly 44 Dark Matter Galaxy is over 325 million lightyears away. The light passes through a section of the astronomical charts which corresponds to a constellation. The constellation being referenced is a reference point on the sky which is used to name the astronomical objects which can be found nearby.

Just an 02er.

At 8/29/16 06:45 PM, Profanity wrote:.

Why are you pretending to know what you're talking about? If the Dragonfly 44 galaxy were located as near to Earth as you say, the entire milky way would collapse. The Milky Way Galaxy is 100,000 lightyears across. Our closest galactic neighbor is Andromeda Galaxy, which is 2.5 million lightyears away. Your misunderstanding of this astronomical concept is on par with a child holding up their thumb and forefinger to squash people on the horizon.

You know, you don't have to be a jerk about it. I admit, I misread the article, thinking that used the constellation as the actual location rather than the reference point. Kinda obvious now that I look back at it... A galaxy in a small collection of stars? Come on, me...

Response to Scientists discover Dark Milky Way 2016-08-29 20:39:45

At 8/28/16 07:00 PM, FastbootsZA wrote: I think that it is an amazing discovery I wonder what will they discover next.

Outer Space is a giant area that is almost never ending.

BBS Signature

Response to Scientists discover Dark Milky Way 2016-08-29 20:45:04

At 8/29/16 02:08 AM, icecreammac wrote: You're right. We will built faster ships. it'll still take us 560 years at the minimum to get any dark matter from that constellation. We will never be able to get fast enough that harvesting dark matter will be a profitable undertaking, and we will never reach speeds that let us explore like in Star Trek. It's physically impossible.

Nothing is impossible. A high level of technology can seem like magic.

This, I'm not gonna argue against. There could be some useful stuff up there. Gotta make sure it's worth the expenses, though.

That is correct. The moon could become the next Wild West. Nations staking claims and looking for the next big expensive mineral.

BBS Signature

Response to Scientists discover Dark Milky Way 2016-08-29 22:07:47

At 8/29/16 08:45 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 8/29/16 02:08 AM, icecreammac wrote: You're right. We will built faster ships. it'll still take us 560 years at the minimum to get any dark matter from that constellation. We will never be able to get fast enough that harvesting dark matter will be a profitable undertaking, and we will never reach speeds that let us explore like in Star Trek. It's physically impossible.

How about this, then? I was wrong about that calculation above. As @Profanity corrected me, it'll take millions and millions of years to get there and back. We're not gonna mine it.

At 8/28/16 10:25 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
Perhaps, exploring outer space should always be a priority. Who knows what will be discovered?

i think space exploration and experimental sciences should always be a high priority

At 8/28/16 10:59 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
First, we will have to mine the moon.

being that our tides are driven by gravitational forces from the moon, i'm not sure removing weight from it is the best idea.

Response to Scientists discover Dark Milky Way 2016-08-30 00:35:53

At 8/29/16 10:07 PM, icecreammac wrote:
At 8/29/16 08:45 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
How about this, then? I was wrong about that calculation above. As @Profanity corrected me, it'll take millions and millions of years to get there and back. We're not gonna mine it.

Not even millions and millions. The most appropriate way to describe the timescale required for a ship that we could possibly construct within the laws of physics to travel to and from this galaxy is billions of years.

But that's all just a minor detail. Think of how rich we'd be!

Just an 02er.

Response to Scientists discover Dark Milky Way 2016-08-30 02:27:09

At 8/30/16 12:35 AM, Profanity wrote: Not even millions and millions. The most appropriate way to describe the timescale required for a ship that we could possibly construct within the laws of physics to travel to and from this galaxy is billions of years.

But that's all just a minor detail. Think of how rich we'd be!

I know, right? What's billions of years when we could be rolling in that sweet, sweet dark matter! That's, like, space oil or something, right?

Response to Scientists discover Dark Milky Way 2016-08-30 16:44:28

At 8/29/16 04:12 AM, icecreammac wrote: That's the wrong Coma Cluster. The dark Milky Way from the article is in the Coma Star Cluster, which is the Coma constellation. You're thinking of the Coma galaxy cluster.

Seems like we have some location issues. Somebody grab a map.

BBS Signature

Response to Scientists discover Dark Milky Way 2016-08-30 16:46:47

At 8/29/16 08:28 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: sweet what the coordinates?

We are working on that. Somebody need to invent GPS for outer space.

BBS Signature

Response to Scientists discover Dark Milky Way 2016-08-30 17:05:18

I discovered the Dark Milky Way ages ago.

Sorry if someone made this joke already I just skimmed.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Scientists discover Dark Milky Way 2016-08-30 22:04:00

At 8/29/16 06:45 PM, Profanity wrote: The Dragonfly 44 Dark Matter Galaxy is over 325 million lightyears away. The constellation being referenced is a reference point on the sky which is used to name the astronomical objects which can be found nearby.

That is a good point. It can be hard to find things in outer space.

BBS Signature

Response to Scientists discover Dark Milky Way 2016-08-30 22:06:13

At 8/29/16 08:27 PM, icecreammac wrote: You know, you don't have to be a jerk about it. I admit, I misread the article, thinking that used the constellation as the actual location rather than the reference point. Kinda obvious now that I look back at it... A galaxy in a small collection of stars? Come on, me...

Its okay, anybody can make a mistake. This is why NASA needs more funding and trips to explore the great unknown.

BBS Signature

Response to Scientists discover Dark Milky Way 2016-08-31 13:28:48

At 8/29/16 10:07 PM, icecreammac wrote: How about this, then? I was wrong about that calculation above. As @Profanity corrected me, it'll take millions and millions of years to get there and back. We're not gonna mine it.

Not be able to mine it now, but it could be possible in the future.

BBS Signature

Response to Scientists discover Dark Milky Way 2016-08-31 13:31:51

At 8/29/16 10:28 PM, billybobthwarten wrote:
At 8/28/16 10:25 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
i think space exploration and experimental sciences should always be a high priority

I agree with you. Outer Space is the last frontier.

At 8/28/16 10:59 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
First, we will have to mine the moon.
being that our tides are driven by gravitational forces from the moon, i'm not sure removing weight from it is the best idea.

We have no idea what new or interesting minerals could be on the moon. Even if there was nothing to mine, it would make a great place for a space station.

BBS Signature

Response to Scientists discover Dark Milky Way 2016-08-31 13:51:53

At 8/31/16 01:28 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 8/29/16 10:07 PM, icecreammac wrote: How about this, then? I was wrong about that calculation above. As @Profanity corrected me, it'll take millions and millions of years to get there and back. We're not gonna mine it.
Not be able to mine it now, but it could be possible in the future.

Okay, answer me this. What makes you think spending billions of years (my estimation was way off earlier) going to a galaxy millions of light-years away--to fetch dark matter on a super dangerous mission where anything can go wrong--will ever be reasonable and profitable? Because you're obviously not listening to physics or logic.