00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Learning Programming & GameDev

298 Views | 4 Replies

Learning Programming & GameDev 2016-08-12 19:17:35

I'm currently trying to trudge through C# Tutorials and absorb as much as I can. I want to create stuff, I can always think of ways I'd like to 'fix' a game that didn't live up, or what I'd rather play instead. So why not make my own games right? Problem is getting started is hard. I feel like no matter how much I follow along with something I won't have all the pieces to make something complete. I mean I made this simple number guessing game in a unity script following word for word a youtube tutorial, but that's not satisfying. I didn't make anything from the ground up, and I don't feel like I can alter that formula much to make something unique.

Brief story here
When I was in my early teens I was inspired by all the games I'd seen on NG, knowing full well they were made in Flash but had underlying scripting in order to make it all work. So I opted for something simple. Like everyone else I installed RPGmaker, started stockpiling tilesets and charsets and trying to make my own games. But due to way Events worked in RM2k, and 2k3 I'd often end up with things desyncing or otherwise being really buggy. (I remember trying to make a bunch of dancers move around a room and just completing losing their shit) I began looking up other people's games and found that the best ones always seemed to have a bunch of added coding or scripting done to get the kind of gameplay they wanted. It seemed pretty clear that the only way to make something good was to make it from scratch so I gave up on making a game other people would want to play, and instead just started building a world.

That world was just all the things you'd normally find in an RPG, generic poorly made towns, big castles with a ton of towers and even higher towers on top of that, with rope bridges leading between them. I wasn't out to please anyone else anymore, I just made what I liked. Linking rooms together that would sometimes lead to completely nonsensical places like a toilet in a prison cell that leads to hell. I was happy with my little world, I just kept expanding upon it and enjoyed walking through it, it gave me something to look back on, an accomplishment or a visual for all the time I spent working on it.

Then my parents found out I was staying up 2 extra hours every night to work on my game and it was affecting my schoolwork since I was always tired. So they took away my computer which later got reformatted before I could ever save all of my work. Soul crushing defeat.

So these days I'm getting older, I don't feel like I have enough time to spend years messing around in RPGmaker to make a subpar game that won't be as good as something made in unity or C#. Doing my best to stay motivated and find useful resources. But so far I can't really make anything I can wander around in or remember. What's the best way to get to that point? Have any of you gone through a similar process? I know a chunk of you have definitely programmed a bit.

Master of questionable life choices

Response to Learning Programming & GameDev 2016-08-13 09:40:00

At 8/12/16 10:52 PM, dem0lecule wrote: This might ease your pain in programming. Pick up this book and this. You can pirate them if you want. The first step of learning any type of programming languages is to learn how it work. Don't jump into the stuff all at once. If you could, learn pseudo code. It would give you absolute solid understanding of forming and interacting with algorithms.

Pseudo code is all about visualizing algorithms yeah? I immediately think of those giant computer arrangements people started making in minecraft the moment redstone, wires and switches were added. I may look for those books, though I have a hard time getting through paper media. Not sure why, I've just always hated reading anything but comics and manga.

The best tutorials I've found so far are from This guy. I like that he's not constantly stumbling over his words and seems to plan out his lessons from the start. I've had teachers who are less professional than this guy. Plus english accent is easier to listen to.

Response to Learning Programming & GameDev 2016-08-13 10:43:15

At 8/13/16 10:08 AM, NekoMika wrote: I learned web design and basic programming a good while back. Was a fun time, trial and error. :D

Would also recommend the Programming forum if you ever need assistance with any programming stuff.

I'm kind of afraid to go there without any overly specific questions like "How do I make a loot table script in C# etc" Right now I'm just asking general stuff like where and how to best continue my learning. The internet's not like it used to be with a few clear documentations on how to do stuff. There's clickbait and distractions everywhere, so its really hard to get anywhere D:

Response to Learning Programming & GameDev 2016-08-13 22:04:57

At 8/13/16 09:21 PM, dem0lecule wrote:
At 8/13/16 09:40 AM, MinatoArisato wrote: Pseudo code is all about visualizing algorithms yeah? I immediately think of those giant computer arrangements people started making in minecraft the moment redstone, wires and switches were added. I may look for those books, though I have a hard time getting through paper media. Not sure why, I've just always hated reading anything but comics and manga.
Pseudo code is to simplify the understanding of basic algorithm, and all the basic condition or statement. I prefer to teach kids and beginners with pseudo code rather than the bullshit they taught in highschool/college like Scratch or Haxe. Flowchart is advanced visualization of pseudo code, with complex function and condition.

I know you're doing C#, but in the book C Programming Language (2nd Edition) by the late Dennis Ritchie, it has a few sections dedicated to both pseudo code and flowchart. One of the most solid book ever on such topics.

I considered checking out scratch, but you're saying it's worse? As for C I feel like it would be good to learn eventually, but given C# is used for stuff like Unity I don't know if it would be as useful. Also kinda scared of confusing myself further since this is my first programming language.

Response to Learning Programming & GameDev 2016-08-13 23:45:42

At 8/13/16 10:18 PM, dem0lecule wrote:
At 8/13/16 10:04 PM, MinatoArisato wrote: I considered checking out scratch, but you're saying it's worse? As for C I feel like it would be good to learn eventually, but given C# is used for stuff like Unity I don't know if it would be as useful. Also kinda scared of confusing myself further since this is my first programming language.
Scratch is very limited visual programming language. In short, it is quite useless. Sure, it's good for beginner, but why not instead learn the language you required. As for C, don't jump on it yet, if you find C# difficult then C would be worse for you. C# is oriented object programming language, while C is not. If you want to learn OOP version of C, try out OOC or C++.

The biggest motivators for me right now, is when I can create something visual or tangible that I can experiment with. Latest thing was moving 3D objects around and I already know a little about how colliders work in Unity, so with any luck I'll be able to start making rooms or something soon.