00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

DashXero just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Mark Twain wasnt an atheist i think

419 Views | 12 Replies

I know he was critical of religion, but it says he was presbytarian. And maybe a freemason.

Either way he is a good writer. What do you think?

At 8/11/16 01:32 PM, X-Gary-Gigax-X wrote: A healthy skepticism of your ideology is actually a good thing, and shows more devotion rather than disloyalty

Its good to challenge elements of it to explain it to people, considering the massive superstitious people "Likely he disliked that you could just use it to heal them in terms of bodily form (Which i agree with when one uses faith healing vs scientific knowledge of treatments versa versa). Not to say faith healing is bad, just that you replace scientific knowledge which is clearly in error.
Most of this is his personal views i got from wiki atleast
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Twain#Religion

I admire most of his works and books.

Response to Mark Twain wasnt an atheist i think 2016-08-11 13:37:34

Mark Twain was an Assassin. He couldn't have been a Freemason.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Mark Twain wasnt an atheist i think 2016-08-11 13:43:06

Faith has little to do with why he was great as a storyteller and a creative mind. He was a brilliant and wise man despite any religious ilk.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Mark Twain wasnt an atheist i think 2016-08-11 13:49:19

At 8/11/16 01:43 PM, Phobotech wrote: Faith has little to do with why he was great as a storyteller and a creative mind. He was a brilliant and wise man despite any religious ilk.

Its more to just disprove some claims by atheists. But your fruits sorta makes you great ^^

Response to Mark Twain wasnt an atheist i think 2016-08-11 17:04:03

Religion is such a hard thing to pin down, unless someone comes out and directly says "I specifically believe in x" its hard to say. For example, if I say "I'm Christian", I could be Catholic, Baptist, Protestant, etc.

Those who do not learn from the mistakes of their past are doomed to repeat them.

Response to Mark Twain wasnt an atheist i think 2016-08-11 17:18:11

Isn't that the guy who wrote cat in the hat?

winner of the first annual NG Hunger games

life is just a trek, a quest to obtain knowledge, power, perhaps domination. maybe someone will win the race someday

BBS Signature

Response to Mark Twain wasnt an atheist i think 2016-08-11 17:57:29

At 8/11/16 05:18 PM, NewgroundsNation wrote: Isn't that the guy who wrote cat in the hat?

You're thinking of Dr. Seuss. Samuel Clemens aka Mark Twain was already worm food when Dr. Seuss came around.

I'm not sure about Mark Twain's stance on religion is as important as his crushing cynicism about everything. Fun fact, The Mysterious Stranger was one of the works that influenced Evangelion.

Fun fact, The Mysterious Stranger was one of the works that influenced Evangelion.

You mean this.. Its quite freaky i'll give it that. But pretty well done.

I don't care what religion someone is or was. He was a good writer.

BBS Signature

Response to Mark Twain wasnt an atheist i think 2016-08-11 23:19:22

Is that relevant to how his writing was?

Response to Mark Twain wasnt an atheist i think 2016-08-12 00:25:21

Mark Twain is a dead man.
Mark Twain's beliefs don't matter anymore.

BBS Signature

Response to Mark Twain wasnt an atheist i think 2016-08-12 02:09:27

Go read The Mysterious Stranger and the collective writings that exist pertaining to it.

BBS Signature