00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mariobros22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Friend Never Heard of New Zealand

461 Views | 9 Replies

Is New Zealand one of the most unknown/heard of developed countries on the planet?

My friend is American, and I am too, and he's 24, but he's never heard of this little island country called New Zealand. When I asked him about it he had no clue what it was and assumed it was a city, and he also had no idea where it is and what language they speak.

So is it odd he didn't know it or is it because it's not a talked about country at all in the US or most of the world in general aside from maybe England and Australia, because Australia is close to New Zealand and the British colonized New Zealand so they would know quite a bit about it.

I only know about the country because of the Internet and hearing about it on the news rarely, but it seems like a pretty unknown country because less than 5 million people live in it, it's very isolated, and small. It's really not a talked about country much here from what I know. However, I did meet a few people who went on vacation there, and my mom had a high school friend who moved there.

But isn't that a good thing? Maybe they like being a peaceful isolated country that doesn't want a ton of tourists and people knowing about it, so they enjoy the peacefulness of it.

However a New Zealander online said that Americans are in their own bubble because of a video showing people being interviewed by a Maori-New Zealand guy about the country, and most knew very little to nothing about the small island nation. Although, I wouldn't think Canadians, or people in Mexico or India would know much about New Zealand either, due to being far away or not having a big connection with the country, although I did meet an Indian guy in Canada who lived in NZ for a while and enjoyed it.

The only thing that's well known that came out of NZ is Lord of the Rings and Lorde.

Response to Friend Never Heard of New Zealand 2016-08-07 23:45:51

At 8/7/16 11:33 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: Your friend sounds like an ignorant bastard.

It's not uncommon. I don't think most Americans know much about it either, or people outside of England/Australia and maybe some other European countries. They'd probably know it's a country that's near Australia, but some would mistake it for being apart of it being in Australia.

Most people who know a lot or at least quite a bit about the country are either into history and geography, or really like Lord of the Rings or rugby. Otherwise, it's basically a mysterious unknown place.

I think it seems like a nice country that's laid back and I'd visit if I could, but I wouldn't be surprised if I told people about going there and some people asking where it is. They may have heard of it, but don't know the geographical location.

Response to Friend Never Heard of New Zealand 2016-08-07 23:51:14

people in the united states don't know anything about our own country, you expect them to know about other places?

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to Friend Never Heard of New Zealand 2016-08-08 08:21:14

Whoa whoa whoa, there's a new Zealand?

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to Friend Never Heard of New Zealand 2016-08-08 09:46:02

I would have thought a decent amount of Americans would have at least HEARD about it. From what I've heard, the country is a great balance between exotic wildlife and fairly a peaceful fairly peaceful urban setting.

New Zealand is technically the newest country in the world, currently. It just got true independence in 1947.

However, he should lay off the drugs and booze.

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to Friend Never Heard of New Zealand 2016-08-08 13:31:05

Lots of battle rappers from NZ. But otherwise it's basically Australia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY6CiLH-_YM

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Friend Never Heard of New Zealand 2016-08-08 14:42:19

New Zealand...better than Old Zealand

Friend Never Heard of New Zealand

Response to Friend Never Heard of New Zealand 2016-08-08 16:48:54

At 8/8/16 09:57 AM, WahyaRanger2 wrote: New Zealand is technically the newest country in the world, currently. It just got true independence in 1947.

However, he should lay off the drugs and booze.

He doesn't do either.

Response to Friend Never Heard of New Zealand 2016-08-08 18:10:19

At 8/8/16 04:48 PM, IAmCrystalHeights wrote: He doesn't do either.

Sweet Christ then there is no hope.

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature