00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mariobros22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

You guys are harsh!

646 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

You guys are harsh! 2016-08-07 05:04:19

Welp, I've uploaded an art piece every day, for the past 7 days and almost no feedback or response. Fan Art, Background Art, Original characters, the Flash... Nothing. well except for Dumplin which was nice. So my last resort is to come here and beg for some attention...not my proudest day.

Except for the Flash and dumplin art piece all of them are pretty recent and display my highest level of digital painting skills yet...Feel free to tear them apart and find every single mistake that I didn't already know about. If you have time of course.

If you want you can leave a reply and I could go check out your artwork and animations.
Have a nice day! I'm going to bed

Response to You guys are harsh! 2016-08-07 06:06:28

At 8/7/16 05:04 AM, mega2416 wrote: Except for the Flash and dumplin art piece all of them are pretty recent and display my highest level of digital painting skills yet...Feel free to tear them apart and find every single mistake that I didn't already know about. If you have time of course.

Regarding the pic I've attached below ... I don't like it.

It appears to me that it's done by a person who has an interest in using tools in Photoshop, but hasn't got some art skills wrapped up:
- the shading just looks muddy because it's going into black,
- the wings needed a reference pic,
- you have water lapping around the rocks, but the sea itself looks static, like snow.
- the sharp edges of the ying-yang compared to the (over-worked) painting with softer brushes is obvious. A lot of the objects seem to look like they have been cut out with a lasso tool from another pic.

Looking through your gallery, I think some of your colouring not up to par, and some pictures just look a bit muddy. I don't know what you've done in the past, but I would consider checking out some painting tutorials in a magazine, find an artist who has a style that is nice but not over ambitious, and follow their methodology.

You guys are harsh!

BBS Signature

Response to You guys are harsh! 2016-08-07 14:46:39

Also, a sure-fire way to get feedback is to make an improvement thread. We're not harsh because we haven't seen your art, if no one has seen it then there's nothing intentional going on there; people simply weren't interested in your art. Also it helps to make the thumbnails more appealing to make people want to click on it. To clarify, I'm not saying you should draw something sexual and then zoom in on the boobs. I'm saying to make it clear what is the focus of the piece, or to make the thumbnail look so weird that people will be curious and look at it. It helps to zoom in onto faces though, and let them see the entire thing once they click.

For critique, I feel as though Turkey mentioned everything that needed to be mentioned in regards to the painting. I think you just need to experiment with colors more, maybe try monocolor landscapes and see what colors look good with what. Painting from reference would really help too; to see how skin shading blends and contrasts to the face.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to You guys are harsh! 2016-08-08 04:00:33

At 8/7/16 05:04 AM, mega2416 wrote: Welp, I've uploaded an art piece every day, for the past 7 days and almost no feedback or response. Fan Art, Background Art, Original characters, the Flash... Nothing. well except for Dumplin which was nice. So my last resort is to come here and beg for some attention...not my proudest day.

Except for the Flash and dumplin art piece all of them are pretty recent and display my highest level of digital painting skills yet...Feel free to tear them apart and find every single mistake that I didn't already know about. If you have time of course.

If you want you can leave a reply and I could go check out your artwork and animations.

You know, normally I try to stay really positive on the art forum, but this made me mad when I read it.

If you want feedback, literally all you have to do is ask. There are lots of people on the forum who are happy to critique your work and provide you with constructive criticism. There are literally hundreds of threads like that on the art forum.

But don't come in here and diss the entire forum just because you don't feel like you're getting the attention that you deserve.

Let me put this in perspective for you just so you don't think that the site is out to get you.

I have been a member of Newgrounds for over 12 years now. I have a thread for my art on the art forum and I've made over 500 posts, mostly in the art forum. I participated in the first Newgrounds calendar art contest and while I didn't win, the art that I drew was featured on the website of the Super-Flash-Bros. I have had my art featured on the frontpage of Newgrounds. My most popular submission has over 40,000 views.

Now, my most recent submission was uploaded on August 6. It has about 500 views and a rating of 3.80. For a piece of art that literally took me 40+ hours to make if you track how long I worked on it from drawing it out on paper, inking it, and then coloring it in Manga Studio.

To compare, you have been a member of Newgrounds for a little over 2 years. You have about 30 posts, most of which are not in the art forum.

Your most recent submission was uploaded on August 5, has about 150 views, and has a rating of 4.00. For a piece that maybe took three hours to make in Photoshop.

So, according to Newgrounds, you made something that is damn near perfect and my work rates about a C+. Is that fair? I don't know. But, is the site showing favoritism or being overly harsh to your work? Considering our respective backgrounds and the fact that you're scoring higher than I am, I would say no, it's not.

You have to understand that you're competing for attention against some of the best artists in the world any time you upload art on here. To stand out, not only do you have to do something special, you have to do it with a level of technical proficiency that takes time and dedication to develop.

For the most part, it's not personal.

But I can almost guarantee that if you ask for feedback on here you will get better feedback both in terms of quality and quantity than anywhere else on the web. If you don't believe it, post on r/art or DeviantArt and see how it goes.

Moral of the story: be a member of the community, ask for feedback on the art forum, and you'll get what you're looking for. But don't come in here as a total stranger and act like we owe you anything or that you're somehow being snubbed just because people aren't going out of their way to comment on your work.

BBS Signature

Response to You guys are harsh! 2016-08-08 15:52:34 (edited 2016-08-08 15:54:28)

At 8/7/16 05:04 AM, mega2416 wrote: Welp, I've uploaded an art piece every day, for the past 7 days and almost no feedback or response. Fan Art, Background Art, Original characters, the Flash... Nothing. well except for Dumplin which was nice. So my last resort is to come here and beg for some attention...not my proudest day.

Let me start this by writing this: Nobody OWES YOU ANYTHING.

The reality is that either your art sucks so much nobody gives a thing, or you do not have any friend to write for you.
I have posted art and I know I am not good, but my friends tried to write something.
Even without any commenting it doesn't mean absolutely anything as long as you are willing to take the hurdle.
I saw your art and it wasn't good at all, especially proportions. Why would I want to write to you something, when I have much better proportions on my art and still I think it is not good enough.
Accept the reality and get better every single day, no excuses.
It really doesn't matter what others say or what I say if you want to make better art.
If you do, one day, someone will write to you.

I achieved better proportions than you in just 8 months, so this means you are super lazy and you do not work every single day.

Response to You guys are harsh! 2016-08-09 04:30:40

Just keep drawing and improving, you'll get attention as you improve. Outside of that interact with the community, drop comments and feedback on people's work and they'll be inclined to check your work out.

Response to You guys are harsh! 2016-08-18 18:57:40

The issue here is it appears you're drawing for attention / glory / popularity. Getting into art is about self improvement and expressing yourself, not getting validated and circle jerked every time you draw something. Find artists you really admire, tutorials on youtube, etc and seek resources that help you improve. Everyone will have an opinion about what you do, but no one can stop you from improving. Only you can.