00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jmurr12 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NG Radio & Lots of Other News!

8,145 Views | 47 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Chat Updates & NG Radio

@BrenTheMan has been making lots of updates to chat, go have a look! The latest addition is a new NG Radio, which you can open right in chat or via that direct link. There are multiple stations and both the radio and chat are EXTREMELY mobile friendly.

You can create your own personal chatroom via this link: http://chat.newgrounds.com/r/

It will generate a unique chatroom URL to share with friends or tweet out to fans. @moawling hosted a chat yesterday where she made icons for other users, this was the result of a request by @StuffedWombat!

Summer Jams Update

Be sure to come by Monday, when we'll be showcasing animations from our Sound Jam! We just got this entry by @Whirlguy and it's great. The current site skin by @Shamfooo is a celebration of our previous Robot Jam, btw.

Email Updates

A while back we overhauled our email system to make emails mobile-friendly. During that transition we stopped sending site news via email. @liljim has brought this feature back and made it mobile friendly, so you may be reading this site news from your inbox on mobile right now. Hi, it's been a while!

API Updates

@PsychoGoldfish has something on the way next week: We're going public with our NG API 3.0 beta. It's a platform agnostic API that is built to work with all games, vs the previous API iterations built for Flash.

Up Next

After that we'll resume with transitioning pages to our new mobile friendly layout, as seen on the Supporter and Wall of Honor pages. Try those on your phone.

Please consider becoming a Supporter while you're there. It would be great if we could roll into 2017 with 2,000 active supporters; steady progress will get us there and you CAN make a difference here. Monthly subscribers give NG much-needed budget consistency and the quicker you get on board, the quicker we achieve our goals!

Hope you enjoy the updates! Monthly payments are going out this Monday. Be sure to check your PM inbox on Monday as well to see if you are on the panel to decide the Best of July. I intend to expand the cash prize pool for at least animation so your votes will be extra important.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Radio & Lots of Other News! 2016-07-29 17:44:15

Having a NG Radio is a really neat feature, I love it!

It also feels nice to listen to your own tracks being randomly picked while streaming :)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Radio & Lots of Other News! 2016-07-29 17:47:32

At 7/29/16 05:44 PM, ForgottenDawn wrote: Having a NG Radio is a really neat feature, I love it!

It also feels nice to listen to your own tracks being randomly picked while streaming :)

I've found so many great new songs so far during testing. I can also use this at the gym now instead of music apps, works really well!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Radio & Lots of Other News! 2016-07-29 17:47:57

Holy crap! These updates RoXors my SoXors!

The NG Radio is freakin' cool. Time to rock out to some Metal music!

Badazz sig by Homicidee

CLICK DOWN THERE N00B!!!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Radio & Lots of Other News! 2016-07-29 17:50:41

At 7/29/16 05:47 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 7/29/16 05:44 PM, ForgottenDawn wrote: Having a NG Radio is a really neat feature, I love it!

I've found so many great new songs so far during testing. I can also use this at the gym now instead of music apps, works really well!

Yeah totally. Honestly it's a great way for people to just know the diversity of what's being offered from so many artists in the website. I'm assuming they're randomly picked from the website, old and new entries? Or is there like a pool of selected tracks?

BBS Signature

Response to NG Radio & Lots of Other News! 2016-07-29 17:52:31

NG Radio is an awesome new feature. I'm finding some great new artists already :D

Response to NG Radio & Lots of Other News! 2016-07-29 17:56:26

At 7/29/16 05:51 PM, SarcasmRabbit wrote: a great new way of finding new stuff, thanks tom!

Thank @BrenTheMan he worked all the magic!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Radio & Lots of Other News! 2016-07-29 17:57:06

At 7/29/16 05:50 PM, ForgottenDawn wrote: Yeah totally. Honestly it's a great way for people to just know the diversity of what's being offered from so many artists in the website. I'm assuming they're randomly picked from the website, old and new entries? Or is there like a pool of selected tracks?

Random but it favors music from the past year.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Radio & Lots of Other News! 2016-07-29 17:57:54

At 7/29/16 05:47 PM, Homicidee wrote: Wait is it a radio that you only hear? Or is it a radio where everyone listens?

Because if it's one where everyone can hear it, oh boi mods.

Everyone can hear it, so the song you are hearing on a station is the same song everyone on that station is hearing - so people can point out cool music in chat and everyone else can tune in.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Radio & Lots of Other News! 2016-07-29 18:00:28

At 7/29/16 05:57 PM, TomFulp wrote: Random but it favors music from the past year.

Gotcha. Are there gonna be more genres to choose from in the future?

BBS Signature

Response to NG Radio & Lots of Other News! 2016-07-29 18:05:04

At 7/29/16 06:00 PM, ForgottenDawn wrote:
At 7/29/16 05:57 PM, TomFulp wrote: Random but it favors music from the past year.

I'll say "uncertain" at the moment.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Radio & Lots of Other News! 2016-07-29 18:11:00

At 7/29/16 06:05 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 7/29/16 06:00 PM, ForgottenDawn wrote:
I'll say "uncertain" at the moment.

I see. :) It's already a great achievement per se to just have our own radio.
Feels nice, good job to whoever put it workin'

BBS Signature

don't call it a comeback, newgrounds been here for years, stayin fresh still the best-Tom and Bren feat. the chat now user radio powered by peers , soundcloud rainin tears, bandcampers in fear, NG tanks since 95 internet original underground content pioneers

iwant2moveitmoveit

BBS Signature

Response to NG Radio & Lots of Other News! 2016-07-29 18:37:07

Love the NG radio idea! I'm def gonna tune it while i work on animations. It IL be great to have a constant stream of music from the community.

Just out of curiosity, any plans for live broadcast type stuff on the NG radio? Like guest DJ's or live talks or stuff like that?

Response to NG Radio & Lots of Other News! 2016-07-29 18:53:48

Hey, just a random thought that came to my mind.

Do you think it would be a good idea to put a follow button next to the artist's name?
Or maybe it's redundant given there's already a link to the artist's NG blog?

BBS Signature

At 7/29/16 06:53 PM, ForgottenDawn wrote: Do you think it would be a good idea to put a follow button next to the artist's name?

Oh, I think this is really in the spirit of the community. I hope this gets added.

And my personal recommendation is putting a "now playing" text at the top of the chat too, so you don't have to open the music to see it ;)

Amazing job with the radio, BrenTheMan - it's 10x better than what I had imagined, haha.
I really look forward to the API, PsychoGoldfish! It'll be sweet to see more games using the great API features on the site!
Excellent work to both of you for your hard work! So excited about the future of Newgrounds! :D

Hi, you! You're awesome, probably! <3 Have a great day!

Yay API 3 ... I need to update/redo my haxe lib for it. Kinda stalled when I realized there was no native AES encryption in this language.

Response to NG Radio & Lots of Other News! 2016-07-29 23:23:10

NG radio is the tits. @brentheman is a fucking wizard!

chat is super mobile friendly holy shit. I have website shortcuts on my homescreen for my favorite couple of chatrooms and it is so slick. Even radio works on mobile. nuts!

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to NG Radio & Lots of Other News! 2016-07-29 23:42:56

At 7/29/16 05:38 PM, TomFulp wrote: Chat Updates & NG Radio

I have a dumb idea. Can we have a very weird radio host for each genre of music or a talk show station?
P.S. I have my own studio where I record.
P.S.S Babymetal ideas!

Response to NG Radio & Lots of Other News! 2016-07-30 00:14:22

At 7/29/16 06:37 PM, SuperPhil64 wrote: Just out of curiosity, any plans for live broadcast type stuff on the NG radio? Like guest DJ's or live talks or stuff like that?

Yep - that's possible and we've talked about it. I'll see what I can get organized.

At 7/29/16 07:47 PM, Zanzlanz wrote:
At 7/29/16 06:53 PM, ForgottenDawn wrote: Do you think it would be a good idea to put a follow button next to the artist's name?
Oh, I think this is really in the spirit of the community. I hope this gets added.

I'll add more site integration over time.

And my personal recommendation is putting a "now playing" text at the top of the chat too, so you don't have to open the music to see it ;)

I'll see what I can do.

Amazing job with the radio, BrenTheMan - it's 10x better than what I had imagined, haha.

Thanks. I like it when I exceed expectations 10x. ;)

Love Radio! Electronics on, discovering new tunes!

Love the Logo in the chat and radi! Saw it in a video lately but wasn't sure if it is official. Please provide it via NG downloads!

EDIT: Is there a auto-volume-adjustment implemented in radio? It's a little too trigger-friendly I believe. Constantly readjusting my volume.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Radio & Lots of Other News! 2016-07-30 03:23:52

Thanks to @BrenTheMan for the NG radio!

Response to NG Radio & Lots of Other News! 2016-07-30 03:38:04

I love the NG Radio. I'm listening the electronic one, it's pretty nice.

Response to NG Radio & Lots of Other News! 2016-07-30 04:00:34

NGI API 3.0 is some good shit, if anyone needs help getting it to run on Haxe hit me up.

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to NG Radio & Lots of Other News! 2016-07-30 05:11:41

So, lemme guess... You're really keen on replacing that old flash-based radio chat, aren't you?

Response to NG Radio & Lots of Other News! 2016-07-30 05:53:51

Yay NG Radio! Finally! ^___^
@brentheman what code base is the radio created with? ^____^
Great job NG! <3

Wakka wakka

Response to NG Radio & Lots of Other News! 2016-07-30 09:52:07

At 7/30/16 05:53 AM, Rucklo wrote: Yay NG Radio! Finally! ^___^

Not a fan of music or even sounds for that matter tbh, i cannot support this new feature.

Also first post.

None

BBS Signature

Response to NG Radio & Lots of Other News! 2016-07-30 14:54:36

Thats Great!

And I hope, that the whole NG-Page will look like the supporter-page, because it looks really amazing!
Keep doing it guys!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Radio & Lots of Other News! 2016-07-30 15:59:24

@BrenTheMan is da man!

Hello thar ;)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Radio & Lots of Other News! 2016-07-30 18:03:44

Awesome news! Especially the pop-out NG Radio feature!
NG Audio section is probably the most neglected section of Newgrounds, at least from an overall community perspective.

The audio community is here, for sure and most musicians here know each other & keep engaged with one another, but as for the animation/art/games department, unless you're paragon or some hot-shit, nobody bothers to collaborate or journeys into the audio portal to utilize stuff that's here AND up for grabs. Maybe I'm just blind and don't see it very often.

That aside, this is an awesome update - totally not necessary, but a severely welcome addition! Thanks, gang!!!

Free albums every month! Use our stuff in your stuff! Contact us if you need music, voice over, or artwork for your submissions! Our Profile and here's Our Song Library