00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MatthieuxDancingDead just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How to get NG music on GD

4,816 Views | 9 Replies

How to get NG music on GD 2016-07-28 09:55:00

Someone asked on my music how to get music on GD, this was my response, since people keep asking I've made this post. I would just like to clarify that I don't 100% understand it, but I understand most of it, so I might not be 100% accurate. However this should be pretty close to the truth...

Any music you upload with allow downloads on can also be downloaded from GD, but I'm guessing you're asking because that didn't work for you, in which case you must not be scouted. If you didn't know all the music from GD comes from "Scouted" composers and performers on Newgrounds, unscouted users' content cannot be downloaded because members of NG don't yet know if your content is of good quality or if it is suitable, as in we don't know if you have broken any rules with your content yet so you have to be "checked" first to confirm you make good, clean content.

If you are unscouted then you're probably asking how to get scouted, well, it's quite simple. Someone who is scouted already needs to scout you, easier said than done, but that's what you need to do. How long could that take? I don't know, it could be a couple days, or it could be a couple months. For me it took 7 months! However, I've never heard of anyone else taking longer than 1 month to be scouted, I think it just took so long for me 'cause I was uploading MMJ content which isn't exactly against the rules but it's kinda frowned upon in the NG audio community, but I don't know for sure. Wish I'd known sooner that MMJ was frowned upon so I didn't go for longer unscouted.

Since I'm scouted I could scout you right now, but of course if I do it for you everyone will want me to do it for them. So I do have to treat everyone like everyone else and only scout you if I genuinely think your music is good and complies with the rules of NG.

Finally, I want to explain some smaller questions you might have:

Q: What does being scouted by someone who is unscouted do for me?

A: Scouted users can view a list of unscouted users to view their content and see if they deserve to be scouted. The list is sorted to put the better users at the top in different orders, the first one being most to least recommendations. Each time you are scouted by an unscouted user you move higher up the list and you become more likely to be noticed.

Q: If I've been unscouted for a long time, am I more likely to be scouted in the near future?

A: Technically, yes. It more depends on your upload frequency so dead profiles don't rise to the top and clog up the list. The second column puts unscouted users with more uploads to the top.

Q: I have already been scouted by someone that is scouted why am I not scouted yet?

A: I think being scouted has a bit of a delay to it, I don't completely get how the system works but I've noticed sometimes it's been a couple hours to a couple days since someone's been scouted but they're not scouted yet, but it should happen soon after being scouted by a scouted user. I don't know if admins get informed when someone's scouted by a scouted user or if the website takes care of it, all I know is it's your ticket to getting scouted.

Q: I have been scouted by multiple scouted and unscouted users but I'm still not scouted, what's going on?

A: Either you are a banned user, or someone has made a mistake.

Response to How to get NG music on GD 2016-07-28 11:02:27

At 7/28/16 09:55 AM, Doublechindoge7 wrote: I was uploading MMJ content which isn't exactly against the rules but it's kinda frowned upon in the NG audio community, but I don't know for sure. Wish I'd known sooner that MMJ was frowned upon so I didn't go for longer unscouted.

Assuming you mean Magix Music Maker Jam: Yes, it is against the rules for two reasons:

1. Magix' terms of use make it so you don't own the rights to anything you put together in the software, thereby not technically giving you the right to share it as your own.

2. MMJ only lets you make music out of pre-made loops, which we don't consider "your own original work"

With that in mind, if you still have any MMJ music up, please unpublish it.

I think being scouted has a bit of a delay to it, I don't completely get how the system works but I've noticed sometimes it's been a couple hours to a couple days since someone's been scouted but they're not scouted yet, but it should happen soon after being scouted by a scouted user.

As far as I remember, when you are scouted by another scouted user, you receive a notification at newgrounds.com/pm where you can view the scouting invitation, and the person who scouted you. You then have to accept or reject it before your music will appear on the audio portal.

You may want to reject a scout request if you don't trust that the user scouting you is legit. This because when a user gets banned from the audio portal, it's possible that everyone that user has scouted gets pruned, that is, de-scouted. Because of that, only accept scouts from artists you trust.

---

Anyway, nice thread, I'm sure it will be helpful for some people.

That said, since this is a thread about Geometry Dash, I want to take this opportunity to make the following very clear:

ONLY UPLOAD MUSIC TO NEWGROUNDS THAT YOU MADE

Even if you've been given permission by an artist to upload their work so it can be used on GD, DO NOT. Instead, ask them to make a Newgrounds account and link to it from their SoundCloud/Youtube/Facebook/what have you.

Response to How to get NG music on GD 2016-07-28 13:04:35

At 7/28/16 11:02 AM, Mich wrote: 1. Magix' terms of use make it so you don't own the rights to anything you put together in the software, thereby not technically giving you the right to share it as your own.

2. MMJ only lets you make music out of pre-made loops, which we don't consider "your own original work"

This made me curious, so I came across this article.

So I guess they changed their eula ?

Response to How to get NG music on GD 2016-07-28 15:09:42

At 7/28/16 01:04 PM, Demon-Wolf wrote:
At 7/28/16 11:02 AM, Mich wrote: 1. Magix' terms of use make it so you don't own the rights to anything you put together in the software, thereby not technically giving you the right to share it as your own.

This made me curious, so I came across this article.

So I guess they changed their eula ?

it's probably still easier to blanket ban magix stuff tho

or maybe make a button in the submission form that says "this audio was made with magix music maker or magix music maker jam" which disables the use commerically option or w/e

p.s. i am gay

At 7/28/16 09:26 PM, dem0lecule wrote:
At 7/28/16 08:38 PM, NekoMika wrote:
At 7/28/16 11:02 AM, Mich wrote:
ONLY UPLOAD MUSIC TO NEWGROUNDS THAT YOU MADE

Even if you've been given permission by an artist to upload their work so it can be used on GD, DO NOT. Instead, ask them to make a Newgrounds account and link to it from their SoundCloud/Youtube/Facebook/what have you.
CANNOT EMPHASIZE THIS ENOUGH PEOPLE!
what are ur thought on music made with algorithms? let's say you wrote a program that generate music for you, and it sounds like human music. would it still be the music you made? or it's not allowed on NG?

What would the parameters be on such a program, and would it be treated like Duplo software by anyone else who uses it?
If the program generates music for you and it turns out to be a carbon copy of someone else's work, what happens then?

Others would use the software claiming that *they* made the music when in actual fact, they didn't. The program generated it for them. And it'd be easy to point it out because there'd be no project file to show. We've had more than enough trouble with people claiming to have made music that they didn't own, including mashing a bunch of premade loops together. My one fear with this sort of program is that it might worsen the situation we have at hand.

@Mich @NekoMika @BrokenDeck @Exedor Thoughts?

Response to How to get NG music on GD 2016-07-29 04:03:12

At 7/28/16 09:26 PM, dem0lecule wrote: what are ur thought on music made with algorithms? let's say you wrote a program that generate music for you, and it sounds like human music. would it still be the music you made? or it's not allowed on NG?

That'd be an interesting case. In my opinion (don't know if other audio moderators would agree), as long as you've written thi program or algorithm yourself, it would be fine. Within reason of course, making minor variations and dumping the new results constantly could easily get spammy.

Response to How to get NG music on GD 2016-07-29 04:09:03

At 7/29/16 03:01 AM, Troisnyx wrote: What would the parameters be on such a program, and would it be treated like Duplo software by anyone else who uses it?
If the program generates music for you and it turns out to be a carbon copy of someone else's work, what happens then?

Others would use the software claiming that *they* made the music when in actual fact, they didn't. The program generated it for them. And it'd be easy to point it out because there'd be no project file to show. We've had more than enough trouble with people claiming to have made music that they didn't own, including mashing a bunch of premade loops together. My one fear with this sort of program is that it might worsen the situation we have at hand.

@Mich @NekoMika @BrokenDeck @Exedor Thoughts?

Woops, skipped over this. With my previous response I was going on the assumption that the algorithm generates all the sounds, rather than make use of premade loops. I think the "did you make the program" bit applies here for generative music.

For instance, say I constructed a super complex modular synthesizer, and set up a patch that creates a long ambient drone, then I just record it without further manipulation. I think technically that would be generated music, but I'd be rather sad if it weren't allowed. :p

But, since it's all highly hypothetical and gray area, I think it would have to be treated on a case-by-case basis.

Response to How to get NG music on GD 2016-07-29 12:48:51

Assuming you mean Magix Music Maker Jam:

Oh, sorry, I'll take it down. Also, that's weird 'cause I didn't accept anything and I got scouted...

Response to How to get NG music on GD 2016-07-29 12:52:49

At 7/29/16 12:48 PM, Doublechindoge7 wrote: Also, that's weird 'cause I didn't accept anything and I got scouted...

Hm I guess I'm mistaken then, I'll have to experiment sometime so I have a proper idea of how it all looks nowadays.

Response to How to get NG music on GD 2016-07-29 14:13:47

Cool lemme get a scout, been here for a decade uploading original tracks.

BBS Signature