00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Matilly just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Buy a game just to support the dev

512 Views | 16 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Would you buy a game just to support the developer even with no intention of playing it? Would you do this? If you have already, what game and developer did you do it for?

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

No because I don't like flushing my money down the toilet.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Buy a game just to support the dev 2016-07-28 02:16:02

At 7/28/16 02:08 AM, Oddlem wrote: No because I don't like flushing my money down the toilet.

You should support developers you like. If not, they will vanish. It has happened before.

BBS Signature

Response to Buy a game just to support the dev 2016-07-28 04:08:48

There have been a handful of MMOs that I bought just to try out.

Star Vault and Hammerpoint Interactive are two of the devs I've given money to.

Still, I bought them with the hope that I would be interested enough to keep playing them.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Buy a game just to support the dev 2016-07-28 05:32:19

At 7/28/16 02:16 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 7/28/16 02:08 AM, Oddlem wrote: No because I don't like flushing my money down the toilet.
You should support developers you like. If not, they will vanish. It has happened before.

I mean, you can like a developer all you want, but why buy a product you have no intention of using? If they're not making something you're going to use, why should your money go to support them?

Because I know only stupid people increase the birth rate

I'm just about dumb enough to hold up a sperm bank

Response to Buy a game just to support the dev 2016-07-28 08:19:43

No.

Response to Buy a game just to support the dev 2016-07-28 17:42:38

If I support the developer, that means I support their cause. If I have no intention of playing the game or don't like it, me not buying it should give send a message.

Response to Buy a game just to support the dev 2016-07-28 18:17:04

Would anybody really buy a game without intending to play it? Honestly I don't think that counts as "support" if you don't care enough about the game to even play it.

Smarty Art, Ninja, Action

BBS Signature

Response to Buy a game just to support the dev 2016-07-28 19:53:49

At 7/28/16 04:08 AM, Painbringer wrote: Star Vault and Hammerpoint Interactive are two of the devs I've given money to.
Still, I bought them with the hope that I would be interested enough to keep playing them.

You are the first, and probably not the last, you have done this before.

At 7/28/16 05:32 AM, Convey wrote: I mean, you can like a developer all you want, but why buy a product you have no intention of using? If they're not making something you're going to use, why should your money go to support them?

It will help keep good developers around. If not, get ready for more Cawk-o-doodies and rehashed sports game every season with an updated roster.

BBS Signature

Response to Buy a game just to support the dev 2016-07-28 22:22:05

I prefer to buy video games with all intentions of playing them. If I want to "just support the dev", I'll support him by recommending the game to my friends.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Buy a game just to support the dev 2016-07-28 23:08:08

At 7/28/16 05:42 PM, BlueAlpha14 wrote: If I support the developer, that means I support their cause. If I have no intention of playing the game or don't like it, me not buying it should give send a message.

Would you support them another way?

At 7/28/16 06:17 PM, Celshaded wrote: Would anybody really buy a game without intending to play it? Honestly I don't think that counts as "support" if you don't care enough about the game to even play it.

If you don't support up and coming developers, they could go out of business.

BBS Signature

Response to Buy a game just to support the dev 2016-07-29 01:09:39

If i would want to support a dev, I'd probably buy a game from them that I've already played and really enjoyed, and give it to someone.

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Buy a game just to support the dev 2016-07-29 01:29:43

It will help keep good developers around. If not, get ready for more Cawk-o-doodies and rehashed sports game every season with an updated roster.

Good is subjective, though. They can be likeable people that make shit games. Doesn't mean I'm going to shell out money for their shit games or a game that I'm never going to play.

Because I know only stupid people increase the birth rate

I'm just about dumb enough to hold up a sperm bank

Response to Buy a game just to support the dev 2016-07-29 01:44:56

At 7/28/16 11:08 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 7/28/16 05:42 PM, BlueAlpha14 wrote: If I support the developer, that means I support their cause. If I have no intention of playing the game or don't like it, me not buying it should give send a message.
Would you support them another way?

If I really supported their cause, yes.

Response to Buy a game just to support the dev 2016-07-29 04:22:54

I did it for Undertale, I pirated it not thinking it would blow my mind or anything, then I felt like I had to give the guy some money because of how good it was. Same thing for LISA.

Master of questionable life choices

No.

I would buy a game I liked if I pirated it before.

I would not buy a game and never play it just to support the developers. That's a retarded use of money.

At 7/29/16 04:22 AM, MinatoArisato wrote: I did it for Undertale, I pirated it not thinking it would blow my mind or anything, then I felt like I had to give the guy some money because of how good it was. Same thing for LISA.

If this is what we're talking about, then I have done this. I played Persona 3 Portable, felt bad for pirating it and its soundtrack. Bought P3FES on PSN afterward.

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to Buy a game just to support the dev 2016-07-29 13:17:59

At 7/29/16 01:09 AM, ninjamuffin99 wrote: If i would want to support a dev, I'd probably buy a game from them that I've already played and really enjoyed, and give it to someone.

That is a great way to support a developer.

At 7/29/16 01:29 AM, Convey wrote: Good is subjective, though. They can be likeable people that make shit games. Doesn't mean I'm going to shell out money for their shit games or a game that I'm never going to play.

You judge each game by itself, and not the developer.

BBS Signature