00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

3lation just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Post Modernism

612 Views | 22 Replies

Post Modernism 2016-07-14 16:26:58

i think we are in the age of post modernism which is a really fucking scary place to be. all around me i see simulations taking more precedence over what they are simulating. internet forums, aim/msn chat, talking on the phone and texting are all simulations of personal conversation and interaction, however these simulations are overtaking the interaction that they are simluating. people would rather talk online than talk in real life. the simulations are so prevalent that people mistake simulations for what is real. people often compare their lives to TV shows and movies, which seems like a normal thing for us to do, but what youre really doing is comparing your meaningful existence to a simulation of it. instead of saying "hey this tv show is just like my life!" we say "my life is just like this tv show!". it may seem like a slight change in semantics but its actually a really scary difference if you think about it. virtual reality is becoming reality, and IMAGE is beginning to have more emphasis than MEANING in our society.

in our world presentation often takes precedence over meaning. you can be the most qualified candidate for a job, but if you come into an interview with a stain on your shirt and messy hair or whatever superficial imperfection that doesnt conform with the modern image of "success" then you might as well say goodbye to your job opportunity.

if you write well, using fancy big words, or you write stylishly, or you write in a unique voice, you dont have to really say anything at all in order to gain a fanbase for your work. your argument doesnt even matter, its just the way you present it.

this is true for any art. music has become very superficial, not only in the mainstream but indie music as well. it seems like image and gimmicks and bandnames are more important than the actual music. it seems like anyone with a hot girl in their band is destined for fame. this is why bands fame don't last very long, no matter how good their music is. their image gets stale. new bands that want to STAY hip and current must constantly recreate their image. they most focus most of their creative energy on how to present themselves instead of writing songs.

"irony" is very prevalent in hip music today. this "irony" blurs meaning completely, to the point that you never know whether a song or band is being ironic or being genuine. the ironic "parody" of meaning trumps genuine meaning here. when things are a copy of a copy of a copy of a meme of a meme of a meme of a parody of a parody of a parody, its hard to tell what these things were even referring to originally anymore. its like reading an encyclopedia, in which one entry tells you to refer to another, and that one tells you to refer to another, etc, until you dont even know what entry you started with.

movies and videogames are relying more and more on presentation. the plot of a movie or the gameplay in a videogame seem almost irrelevant now. as long as there are shiny CGI explosions and a realistic physics engine and blood splatter that looks SO REAL!! it can sell millions of dollars. meaning is completely lost to image.

why are we so obsessed as a culture with realism in videogames and movies? why do the special effects that we consider the "best" are the ones that look most real? this is just another instance of post-modernism, or fascination with simulations becoming more real than what they are simulating. i keep talking about this but its just so true i see it every where i look.

videogames and movies are becoming more and more real looking, but more and more far off from actual real life. because while the IMAGE projects realism by looking real, the MEANING (or plot) of the game projects something far different. and since all MEANING in our art is slowly becoming meaningless and irrelevant in our visually-based society, our generations perception of REALITY is becoming skewed and twisted into something that is VIRTUAL REALITY. i fear that soon we wont be able to distinguish between REALITY and VIRTUAL REALITY. i fear that IMAGE will not only become more important than MEANING, but IMAGE WILL BECOME THE ONLY MEANING.

the internet is the craziest innovation man. meaning and substance is being lost is through over-stimulation due to internet. technology has enabled information to fly at us at wild rates. were literally being bombarded with info, like data overload. all this over-stimulation of entertainment and information is pretty much desensitized us and caused our lives to become meaningless. we are extremely desensitized to violence and stuff like that because it is so commonly thrown at us via TV, internet, movies and other technology. art that used to be extremely meaningful now has about 50000000 copies of it spread around the internet which completely degrades its meaning. i feel like all this over-stimulation has made us completely numb and passive. weve became so used to being constantly entertained we dont know how to live any other way. were addicted to information/entertainment/technology/VISUAL STIMULATION

even though the innovation of the internet causes loss of meaning, desensitization, addiction to entertainment/technology and passivity within our society, i obviously embrace technology or i wouldnt be posting right now. im living in a society where its the norm to be an internet addict. its ironic because we have all this information at our fingertips but we are still so passive. youd think that learning about all these horrible instances of violence and injustice would make us want to do something productive, act nobly against atrocities etc. but the overwhelming wealth of knowledge we are exposed to has the absolute opposite effect. the data surplus is like a tidal wave that drowns out our emotions, numbs our senses and makes us passive as fuck

i fear for ours...and its almost like we are worse than the ancient romans. because while the romans were ignorant and for the most part did not have the education and knowledge of what was going on right under their eyes, we have all the knoweledge in the world at the click of a button. we arent ignorant unless we choose to be. and even if we choose not be ignorant, even our most knowledgeable are very passive. see, i could philosophize about the destruction of our society due to technology due to all the info ive subsumed, but posting on the internet isnt going to do anything. i know this. i choose to be passive because thats all i know how to be.

I find it kind of sad that, I believe, we are the LAST few generations of this sort of "in between" existence where we try to bridge the gap between primordial organic creatures and a truly advanced, immortal, space faring, god-like species, that I'm sure already exist throughout the universe where species were lucky enough to escape their proverbial "crib" (birth planet).
I think this awkward "bridge" between the two existences only lasts a few centuries, and I think we are very... lucky? unlucky? To be here RIGHT at the EXACT point of change.

Think about it... Life has been evolving on this planet for billions of years, battling for evolutionary dominance and battling for the privilege of being the first species to escape infancy.
We are that species (on Earth) IF we don't kill ourselves before we escape the planet.
It has been LESS THAN A CENTURY since we have seen advanced technology.
Less than a century window after BILLIONS of years of primitive and primordial life.

Can you believe that shit?

We are incredibly lucky to be witnessing the beginning of this age, but also incredibly unlucky that we are so close to a virtual heaven where the life is forever and the world is whatever the fuck you want it to be (with virtual reality). We likely will die only a few generations before this transition is "complete". Not that we will stop evolving then, but I'm just talking about that specific point where we attain that "immortality" and virtual freedom so to speak.

Response to Post Modernism 2016-07-14 16:30:26

Are you the Architect?

BBS Signature

Response to Post Modernism 2016-07-14 18:06:00

Technology is going to continue to expand into our daily lives, I don't think it can be stopped.

Those who do not learn from the mistakes of their past are doomed to repeat them.

Response to Post Modernism 2016-07-14 18:33:32

In the words of Styx, you got too much time on your hands.

This is really nothing more than a bunch of ramblings that may or may not even be related to each other. The fact that you are shotgunning so many different things together isn't helping your case, and neither is posting a wall of text on the forums. A piece of advice, if you're going some sort of grand philosophical statement, try to stick to a few things and avoid running on and on, otherwise you're simply wasting your time.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Post Modernism 2016-07-14 19:26:14

At 7/14/16 04:30 PM, MaynardHeart wrote: Are you the Architect?

I am neo

and you can be my trinity

ifyouknowwhatimsayin

Response to Post Modernism 2016-07-14 19:49:59

At 7/14/16 04:52 PM, FinaLee wrote: Hey, I don't know if you know this, but there's a guy who is using your name and travelling back in time to write the same exact things you are talking about!

halomaps ftw

Response to Post Modernism 2016-07-14 20:48:48

At 7/14/16 07:26 PM, donglepuss wrote:
At 7/14/16 04:30 PM, MaynardHeart wrote: Are you the Architect?
I am neo

and you can be my trinity

ifyouknowwhatimsayin

pics or it wont happen.

Response to Post Modernism 2016-07-15 11:03:01

At 7/14/16 09:08 PM, dem0lecule wrote:
it's called transhumanism

not really

Response to Post Modernism 2016-07-15 14:48:52

buttcheeks

Response to Post Modernism 2016-07-15 15:01:28

TL;DR: Pokemon GO

Response to Post Modernism 2016-07-15 15:37:57 (edited 2016-07-15 15:40:28)

At 7/14/16 06:33 PM, orangebomb wrote: In the words of Styx, you got too much time on your hands.

This is really nothing more than a bunch of ramblings that may or may not even be related to each other. The fact that you are shotgunning so many different things together isn't helping your case, and neither is posting a wall of text on the forums. A piece of advice, if you're going some sort of grand philosophical statement, try to stick to a few things and avoid running on and on, otherwise you're simply wasting your time.

do you really find it necessary to go around on the forums and put down anyone who tries to think about things a little bit below the surface? you always do it in the most vague way possible too, you literally didn't address any of the points he made, you basically just said tl;dr stfu

Response to Post Modernism 2016-07-15 17:06:02

At 7/15/16 03:37 PM, solamander wrote: do you really find it necessary to go around on the forums and put down anyone who tries to think about things a little bit below the surface?

Here's the problem, a lot of the folks who do the wall of text arguments like this are either trying too hard to be deep, or they act like a complete smartass, and the second that you disagree with them, they get all upset that you're ignorant, a tool or something like that. Not to mention that the forums (especially the General forum) isn't exactly the best place to make something like that, this would have been better suited for his own blog where at least he can control the responses.

you always do it in the most vague way possible too, you literally didn't address any of the points he made, you basically just said tl;dr stfu

Normally, I would try to break it down and respond piece by piece, but the problem is that it is so long and repetitive, it would be too much space without either double-posting, repeating myself more than necessary or someone trying to pull a gotcha argument. Furthermore, the OP didn't respond to my post, so I never really got a chance to explain my points.

BBS Signature

Response to Post Modernism 2016-07-15 17:52:59

Normally, I would try to break it down and respond piece by piece, but the problem is that it is so long and repetitive, it would be too much space without either double-posting, repeating myself more than necessary or someone trying to pull a gotcha argument. Furthermore, the OP didn't respond to my post, so I never really got a chance to explain my points.

explain.

Response to Post Modernism 2016-07-16 22:33:46

At 7/14/16 06:33 PM, orangebomb wrote:
This is really nothing more than a bunch of ramblings that may or may not even be related to each other.

this IS all related. abstractly, but still related.

Response to Post Modernism 2016-07-16 22:38:01

At 7/14/16 05:13 PM, zornuzkull wrote: Pass...

same.

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to Post Modernism 2016-07-17 13:51:05

At 7/16/16 10:38 PM, billybobthwarten wrote:
same.

i luv u lets maek babies n shit

Response to Post Modernism 2016-07-17 15:02:57

At 7/17/16 01:51 PM, donglepuss wrote:
At 7/16/16 10:38 PM, billybobthwarten wrote:
same.
i luv u lets maek babies n shit

i know that's a lie, you cannot trick me with smooth talk.

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to Post Modernism 2016-07-17 18:02:52

At 7/16/16 10:33 PM, donglepuss wrote: this IS all related. abstractly, but still related.

Ok, looking through your post again, and my opinion hasn't changed much, though since you asked, I'll explain.

First off, you say that you may be the most qualified but if you have a stain on your shirt or some sort of imperfection, then you lose your opportunity. That isn't conforming, that called being a professional, and most high-end workplaces value professionalism and reliability above all else. It certainly isn't the most glamourous job, but more often than not, there are more vital than people want to admit, even if it is rather small. For better or worse, presentation is important, you never get a second chance at a first impression.

Second, movies, video games and even music has always has a degree of what you consider superficiality, but in a lot of cases, that is rather ironic that those who consider something superficial are just as, if not more superficial themselves. Not to mention that in movies and video games, you need to have impressive/immersive visuals in order to carry the meaning, otherwise it will have an identity crisis at best, and running the asylum at worst, neither of which are good things to have long-term. I think we can agree with that eye candy shouldn't be the only thing that goes into movies and video games, but ignoring them outright essentially defeats their own message before it even begins.

Now, music is different as this is a hearing medium compared to a visual medium, on that you might have a point. Even so, there is plenty of music that doesn't have visual presentation at all, all it takes is a Google or YouTube search, it's not like you can't find them. Unfortunately, people seem to ignore this and only go after the biggest mainstream artists and music genres, and whether the criticism might be fair, it still is rather counterproductive at best.

You mention internet addiction as the norm, as it presents desensitizitaion, data-overload and so on, I'm not going to dispute that, (though I will say that Internet addiction isn't as normal as you might think, and it is rather broad on how widespread it really is) but the Internet has opened our world in ways that it never has before, plus it allows knowledge to be available on such as mass-scale that say, 30 or 40 years ago, was only available in certain academic or corporate environments, or through word-of-mouth. That's the Pandora's box that we have opened, and barring a major cataclysm, we have to balance the good with the bad when it comes to the Internet.

Frankly, I don't understand that how all this can be destructive to society as a whole and why do people think that things like visual eye candy and data-overload and so on is leading us to the Dark ages or whatever. Yes, there are going to be a few that will abuse it for their own purposes and the consequences can be dicey to say the least, but there is far more benefits that is out there, and to not acknowledge this is simply wallowing in ignorance, or at least letting their ego cloud their judgements.

What I'm trying to say is that there is reasoning behind the things that you have mentioned before, whether or not you agree with it on some sort of level is irrelevant. As I mentioned before, you are simply shotgunning a bunch of points together into a sum argument that doesn't make any sense, and any connection (if there is even one) are largely tangential and based off selective negativity made by folks who are too ignorant or elitist to acknowledge the benefits. I can't speak about transhuminsm or whether we're in-between some sort of paradigm shift that anyone who watches The Matrix or Ghost in the Shell and tries to copy off the philosophy off that, but I can safely say that much of it remains in fiction, even if what they have to say might be relevant.

BBS Signature

Response to Post Modernism 2016-07-17 18:16:07

At 7/14/16 04:52 PM, FinaLee wrote: Hey, I don't know if you know this, but there's a guy who is using your name and travelling back in time to write the same exact things you are talking about!

Stolen valor! Another shitbag caught trying to steal someone else's valor.

Thanks for pointing it out, FinaLee.

Response to Post Modernism 2016-07-17 22:37:19

#Only90sKidsWillUnderstand

Oldskies lmao

BBS Signature

Response to Post Modernism 2016-07-25 16:40:32

sukadong

Post Modernism

Response to Post Modernism 2016-07-25 17:01:45

Isn't Post Modernism like a form of art?