00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

WannabePyx just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Im A C Programmer,Where to start?

1,535 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hi,im a programmer from SA-MP forum,if you don't know what SA-MP is,its a very popular and addictive multiplayer modification for Gta SanAndreas,i player there for 2 years,ive learned much from there,my English got improved,i learnt programming languages like C,HTML...And in not Pro at them,but now as the SA-MP Dev has announced that he wont make new updates for SA-MP,so it mean that the number of players will also be reduced,so i decided to join another community as SA-MP will be closed soon because (Not confirmed).I wanted to create games,i have little bit of experience with Game Maker 8.1,Game Maker Studio,Blender,Unity 5 and some other small game engines.I need help from your guys to choose which game engineand programming language should i choose next.I have an idea of a 2D Multiplayer TDM/DM game.

Response to Im A C Programmer,Where to start? 2016-07-05 18:04:34

If you already have experience with Unity and know C, then I would say go with Unity. It's a solid engine and uses C# for making games, which is very similar to C, but much, much easier to write. Plus it can deploy to desktop and web, which is a nice bonus.

Response to Im A C Programmer,Where to start? 2016-10-03 19:27:39

If you're fine with using C# (why wouldn't you be? It is a beautiful language), then go with Unity.

It's kind of the obvious "goto" for game development.

If it's a strictly 2D game and fairly simple though, I still highly recommend Construct 2. I have a relative who had zero programming experience make a mobile game (I helped him use the intel xdk and port it out of Construct of course) that is generating a pretty penny right now.

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to Im A C Programmer,Where to start? 2016-10-06 16:37:31

I personally like Cocos/CocosStudio, which runs c++ or javascript as a basis, and can compile for any desktop or mobile environment. It is less resource dependent than c#/visual studio, runs significantly more performant apps on linux and mac distros, and can also create raw web content if you are compiling to javascript. Just throwing that out there as a viable option also. Unity isn't bad, but it's really not the only kid on the block either, it's just overrepresented. You will hit performance issues with c# when it comes to portability. These are usually solved with platform specific wrappers, but wrappers have a significant decrease in performance most of the time.

FB | Blog

If you ever wondered who to blame for your problems, find a mirror.

BBS Signature

Response to Im A C Programmer,Where to start? 2016-10-29 03:56:44

At 7/5/16 01:03 PM, MouizGhouri wrote: I need help from your guys to choose which game engine and programming language should i choose next.I have an idea of a 2D Multiplayer TDM/DM game.

You can either go Unity with C# As everyone else is saying.. or stick with pure C, compile it with emscripten to javascript and create yourself some games :)

Happy Coding

- Xploit

BBS Signature

Response to Im A C Programmer,Where to start? 2016-12-14 22:48:56

Most people are suggesting you use Unity/C#, and for what you want to do that's probably your best bet.

It's very possible to make a game in strictly C, but it's probably much harder than what you're after! You would likely have to use OpenGL/DirectX directly, two APIs that don't include all the nifty tools that make game-development easier. Nevertheless, C itself is very good to know in game development anyway... especially if you plan on using C++ later on like many professional game studios do.

If working at a video game mega-company is what your after, I highly recommend Unreal Engine with C++. The C++ skills you learn using it will transition well into many other programming jobs, even outside of game development. C# tastes too much like Windows for my palate.

what

BBS Signature

At 9/28/16 03:48 PM, D3KU wrote: Pretty sure C(I'm assuming you just meant C, not c++,#, ect) is not a appropriate language for game development. You need object orientation. If i were you, I would go unity(I believe uses c# or something) or blender(using python. I use this). Hope this helps a little bit.

You don't need object orientation. Indeed object orientation easily leads to an unmaintainable mess if the project grows. You don't understand the program flow any more and debugging is much harder. If you already familiar with C use C (and probably a lib like SDL2). I've done OOP for many many years and today I think it’s a deeply flawed programming methodology. The thing is that everyone is telling you that OOP is the silver bullet to software development and in the end you have this unmaintainable mess - then they tell you you're doing it wrong. But I've never met anyone in my career who managed it to get it right. The concepts of OOP sounds very nice applied to simple examples, but they never keep their premisses on bigger projects.

Watch this cool video that explains it further: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM1iUe6IofM

Response to Im A C Programmer,Where to start? 2016-12-15 13:26:52

At 12/15/16 11:09 AM, joemanaco wrote: I've done OOP for many many years and today I think it’s a deeply flawed programming methodology. The thing is that everyone is telling you that OOP is the silver bullet to software development and in the end you have this unmaintainable mess - then they tell you you're doing it wrong. But I've never met anyone in my career who managed it to get it right.

There is no perfect programming paradigm: it does not matter if it's OOP, prototypal, procedural, functional, component-based, or something else; it's possible to do them poorly and it's possible to do them well. OOP does not inherently create bad code, nor does it inherently create good code; it's just a way to write code—whether the code is good or bad is entirely up to the person writing the code.

Saying "OOP is bad and can't possibly be done right for large projects" because you haven't personally worked on a well-written large project that utilises OOP is very bad advice. Underscore.js is not inherently easier to maintain than SwiftMailer, Flask, Boost, or Flixel, all of which are large, OOP-based projects, and are in no way shape or form "unmaintainable messes.

OOP is not a "silver bullet," as you put it, no, but it also is not the bane of programmer's everywhere. Part of writing good code is choosing the best tool for the job, and sometimes that's OOP. Part of writing good code is not refusing to use a certain tool because you haven't seen someone use it correctly before.