00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Best Language for 2D Platformer

1,051 Views | 11 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Best Language for 2D Platformer 2016-06-27 11:49:00

Hi, I'm new to programming and looking to create a 2D platformer. I would like to know the ideal coding language for a 2D platformer that I could have on different platforms like Steam or the Xbox One store.

Response to Best Language for 2D Platformer 2016-06-27 16:26:46

At 6/27/16 11:49 AM, ChildishLemon wrote: Hi, I'm new to programming and looking to create a 2D platformer. I would like to know the ideal coding language for a 2D platformer that I could have on different platforms like Steam or the Xbox One store.

Unity can target both of those platforms, and it's learning curve is a bit easier than pure C# with DirectX or openGL, which is also a viable option

At 6/27/16 04:26 PM, GeoKureli wrote:
At 6/27/16 11:49 AM, ChildishLemon wrote: Hi, I'm new to programming and looking to create a 2D platformer. I would like to know the ideal coding language for a 2D platformer that I could have on different platforms like Steam or the Xbox One store.
Unity can target both of those platforms, and it's learning curve is a bit easier than pure C# with DirectX or openGL, which is also a viable option

Thank you

Would unity be okay if I wanted to make the game with sprites (sorry if this is a silly question I really don't know much)

Response to Best Language for 2D Platformer 2016-06-27 16:59:27

At 6/27/16 04:39 PM, ChildishLemon wrote: Would unity be okay if I wanted to make the game with sprites (sorry if this is a silly question I really don't know much)

No such thing as a silly question, but I can think of several silly answers

Non-silly answer: Yes, Unity has improved its 2D sprite stuff immensely. There's a ton of tutorials on it, and examples in Unity's asset store.

Silly Answer: Unity is like a mushroom; if you shoot a duck, I'm scared of toasters

Response to Best Language for 2D Platformer 2016-06-27 17:09:07

At 6/27/16 04:59 PM, GeoKureli wrote:
At 6/27/16 04:39 PM, ChildishLemon wrote: Would unity be okay if I wanted to make the game with sprites (sorry if this is a silly question I really don't know much)

Non-silly answer: Yes, Unity has improved its 2D sprite stuff immensely. There's a ton of tutorials on it, and examples in Unity's asset store.

Silly Answer: Unity is like a mushroom; if you shoot a duck, I'm scared of toasters

Your silly answer gave me everything I needed to know.

Thank you for helping me, very informative

Response to Best Language for 2D Platformer 2016-08-10 01:52:38

At 6/27/16 05:09 PM, ChildishLemon wrote:
At 6/27/16 04:59 PM, GeoKureli wrote:

Your silly answer gave me everything I needed to know.

Thank you for helping me, very informative

Something id like to add.. You can create a great 2D Platformer using Actionscript 3 (AS3) Along with the As3 Library 'Flixel' There is a 'game' here on Newgrounds That Teaches you exactly how to use Flixel And the tutorials topic is of course a 2D Platformer! Just search for Flixel tutorial in the newgrounds search bar theres two tutorials so id suggest starting with the first one its also beginner friendly!

Happy Coding

- Xploit

BBS Signature

At 8/10/16 01:52 AM, TheRealMuerte wrote: Something id like to add.. You can create a great 2D Platformer using Actionscript 3 (AS3) Along with the As3 Library 'Flixel' There is a 'game' here on Newgrounds That Teaches you exactly how to use Flixel And the tutorials topic is of course a 2D Platformer! Just search for Flixel tutorial in the newgrounds search bar theres two tutorials so id suggest starting with the first one its also beginner friendly!

1. OP was asking for games that can go on specific platforms, like consoles, Flash is limited to browser and desktop. See Below:

At 6/27/16 11:49 AM, ChildishLemon wrote: I would like to know the ideal coding language for a 2D platformer that I could have on different platforms like Steam or the Xbox One store.

2. Flash is dead, abandon ship. Don't use it or recommend it, don't look back, it's the flash-pocalypse.

3. HaxeFlixel does everything flixel does but compiles to multiple native targets like ios, android, blackberry, windows phone, steam, html5 and flash. They are working on console support for wii U, xbox, ps4, 3DS and PS Vita as well. but know one really knows when that will happen.

So every time you work in flash, you're losing out on potential dev time that can lead to you developing mobile/console games.

Note: I didn't tell OP about HaxeFlixel, even though it's my preferred way of making a 2d platformer because it's not console ready yet

Response to Best Language for 2D Platformer 2016-08-10 03:38:05

At 8/10/16 03:31 AM, GeoKureli wrote:
At 8/10/16 01:52 AM, TheRealMuerte wrote: Something id like to add.. You can create a great 2D Platformer using Actionscript 3 (AS3) Along with the As3 Library 'Flixel' There is a 'game' here on Newgrounds That Teaches you exactly how to use Flixel And the tutorials topic is of course a 2D Platformer! Just search for Flixel tutorial in the newgrounds search bar theres two tutorials so id suggest starting with the first one its also beginner friendly!
1. OP was asking for games that can go on specific platforms, like consoles, Flash is limited to browser and desktop. See Below:

At 6/27/16 11:49 AM, ChildishLemon wrote: I would like to know the ideal coding language for a 2D platformer that I could have on different platforms like Steam or the Xbox One store.
2. Flash is dead, abandon ship. Don't use it or recommend it, don't look back, it's the flash-pocalypse.

3. HaxeFlixel does everything flixel does but compiles to multiple native targets like ios, android, blackberry, windows phone, steam, html5 and flash. They are working on console support for wii U, xbox, and ps4 as well. but know one really knows when that will happen.

So every time you work in flash, you're losing out on potential dev time that can lead to you developing mobile/console games.

Ah didnt see that lol.. I'm just starting As3 and the flixel lib.. I Just want to learn more about the game development world and since ive already started to get used to flixel which ive been using since the 1st of this month focusing on one project for practice id like to learn a bit more about it and actually create a flash game with it i may try HaxeFlixel after but may never use unity or other things like that im not sure lol another one of my goals is to make an RPG using javascript so that will hopefully be within this year ive also tried mobile development as well using java in android studio but thats it for mobile development but flash has had my attention for over a year just didnt know where to start back then

Happy Coding

- Xploit

BBS Signature

At 8/10/16 03:31 AM, GeoKureli wrote: Note: I didn't tell OP about HaxeFlixel, even though it's my preferred way of making a 2d platformer because it's not console ready yet

Pretty sure it is, mostly so perhaps. The issue is that you need a license to hook into the proprietary backends or whatever. One guy has his game on the 3DS, and I think Defender's Quest 2 will be on Xbone and PS4? There are a few instances of it happening, but you need a sponsor who already has a license or be able to front that cost.

Edit: it does require some pull requests that haven't been merged yet, though.

At 8/10/16 03:31 AM, GeoKureli wrote:
3. HaxeFlixel does everything flixel does but compiles to multiple native targets like ios, android, blackberry, windows phone, steam, html5 and flash. They are working on console support for wii U, xbox, ps4, 3DS and PS Vita as well. but know one really knows when that will happen.

There's an IndieGoGo for HaxeFlixel stuff and I assume they plan on adding Console support within a year https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/haxeflixel-games-software#/

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Best Language for 2D Platformer 2016-09-29 16:41:54

You guys have been very helpful!

Thanks

Response to Best Language for 2D Platformer 2016-09-30 01:11:41

English