00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Allthingz2020 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Brexit wins

5,538 Views | 74 Replies

Response to Brexit wins 2016-06-25 11:44:12 (edited 2016-06-25 11:45:34)

Anyone who voted to brexit is a fucking moron. Like, 0 intelligence to be found. I don't give a shit what your garbage 'argument' is because it's going to be outweighed by the fact that you just screwed over your country in a way that it'll never be able to recover. No more banks. No more pound. No more connections with the EU. And no more reasons to do business in the UK.

In other words, they pulled an America, but they're much smaller/weaker than America so they CAN'T pull an America and get away with it.

GG m8s

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to Brexit wins 2016-06-25 11:46:03

At 6/25/16 11:44 AM, squidly wrote:
In other words, they pulled an America.

GG m8s

So they'll do a bunch of wrong things and then eventually do the right thing, but a bit too late?

Response to Brexit wins 2016-06-25 12:37:08 (edited 2016-06-25 12:41:15)

At 6/25/16 11:47 AM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 6/25/16 11:44 AM, squidly wrote: No more pound. No more connections with the EU. And no more reasons to do business in the UK.
That would be a sound argument if it weren't immediately disprovable.

There's a subtle difference between doing business 'with' the UK and doing business 'in' it, but it's a difference that's going to be felt in at least some of the very areas that think this will be a good thing.

To use an example: There's a town called Wisbech just outside Cambridge, which voted 70% in favour of leaving. Most of the leave voters pointed at the significant amount of eastern Europeans living and working in the town as the reason they want tighter controls on immigration. Assuming the leave vote means less ability to migrate here from Europe (some people are doubtful of if it's actually going to have any effect, but that's another matter), these workers will have much less reason to stay here for the sake of their jobs, and probably move back to Poland.

Sounds exactly like what the leave campaign wanted, right? Well, 2 problems:
1. These Polish workers were doing jobs you can't convince British people to do for the wages the companies were offering (it's mainly food processing plants around there; any higher salaries would bankrupt the company thanks to supermarket food prices being so low in the first place). The average Brit really would rather be unemployed than do this sort of work, despite it being a necessary part of the process of feeding the country, so expecting that tougher immigration laws will see a straightforward increase in the number of British people in employment is just plain unrealistic.
They didn't take 'our' jobs; they created an industry by being willing to do 'their' jobs here and save us the import costs on finished products, which are higher than raw materials they then turn into finished products here.

2. When most of a company's workforce leaves the area, and not enough people come forward to fill the resultant vacancies, where do you think that company's going to go? Yup, that's right: Some of said companies have already said that, with their prior experience of British unwillingness to do these jobs, the only way to continue is to leave with the workforce. I know this type of industry because I work in a food safety testing laboratory; I would not be surprised at all if they followed through with their statements.

Some people will respond to this with: "Well good: They're all gone and it's back the way it was!" Sorry, but it won't be. Many of the native businesses have grown heavily reliant on selling to the immigrant population, and without them propping them up, Wisbech would likely shrink to less than the size it was before the immigration to the area started in any great numbers, putting many of the locals out of business in the process.

This is only a localised example, and I'm deliberately keeping it that way since trying to up-scale any of these arguments runs into complexities even people who've spent their whole lives analysing EU economics data can't predict right now. It's an area, and an industry, I know enough about to say with confidence that the leave voters have shot themselves in the foot over; How much this will apply to other towns, or the country in general, remains to be seen.

Going back to the original point: Yes, people will be willing to do business 'with' those organisations who can handle overseas sales and transactions, but the amount of them willing to come and give the ordinary workers jobs by doing business 'in' here just dropped markedly, simply through the uncertainty itself. Sort of stupid given nothing has actually been changed or negotiated yet, but that's what happens when you announce the country's going to head in a direction many of its investors don't like the sound of.

Response to Brexit wins 2016-06-25 12:38:50

Can someone give me a good explanation of the pros and cons of Brexit?

Sorry for being a lazy cunt

BBS Signature

Response to Brexit wins 2016-06-25 13:15:19

At 6/25/16 01:01 PM, zornuzkull wrote: Then you get the joy of getting pushed out anytime somebody feels like it because the majority of the workers are eastern Europeans... And would rather get there buddy or family member a job...

Implying that British people wouldn't do exactly the same thing given the chance. This is human nature: To look out for people we identify with at the cost of those we don't has nothing to do with nationalities, and will not go away with the passing of this, or of anything that comes of it, or ever for that matter.

Been there done that and I was only £20 better off by the end of the week...
Sorry if I'm not exactly looking forward to having to go through all that shit again...

No-one ever said the current situation was perfect... Or even good in places. I get that people whose only employment opportunities fall under 'unskilled labour' get shafted hard by this country, but blaming the EU for it is unlikely to be the answer.
Pretty sure some of the EU regulations over working conditions / rights are actually holding UK companies back from making unskilled jobs even worse to be in, but we'll see about that. Might be something that gets written into UK law, might be tweaked / loop-holed / ignored completely when the time comes; only the people doing the conversion of EU to UK laws will know for certain.

Response to Brexit wins 2016-06-25 15:52:56

At 6/25/16 02:53 PM, SwisherCovent wrote: how many times have you heard "i voted leave as a protest, but i didn't think we'd actually leave" today?

Kind of reminds me when in Palestina the Hamas was elected in 2006. Many voters later said "I voted them as a protest, but didn't think they'd actually win". Another proof that "protest voters" are fucking stupid.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to Brexit wins 2016-06-25 17:43:26

At 6/25/16 11:47 AM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 6/25/16 11:44 AM, squidly wrote: No more pound. No more connections with the EU. And no more reasons to do business in the UK.
That would be a sound argument if it weren't immediately disprovable.

Of course they're pushing to maintain trade. That's important. But will it be the same level of trade? Will people rush to British banks, once blessed with the ability to speak English (which is incredibly important,) and do business in Europe? No.

They'll just go to Deutschbank or something.

You forget that Britain's entire point of existence is banking and finance, both of which are now effectively impossible to do better than any other European country. Hence the Banks moving to Frankfurt/Paris.

At 6/25/16 11:46 AM, someaveragechap wrote: So they'll do a bunch of wrong things and then eventually do the right thing, but a bit too late?

America never does the right thing. I don't think Britain will either.

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to Brexit wins 2016-06-25 18:29:23

JEREMY CLARKSON FOR PRIME MINISTER!

Response to Brexit wins 2016-06-25 18:34:08

JEREMY CLARKSON FOR PRIME MINISTER!

Response to Brexit wins 2016-06-26 06:57:29

At 6/25/16 05:58 PM, zornuzkull wrote: Actually I wouldn't I don't shit on people and don't judge people by where they come from fool on me eh?

At what point did I mention you specifically? I was actually thinking about all the times I've been in interviews (with British employers) where it was made painfully obvious they already knew who they were going to hire before they ever even advertised the job. And these weren't zero-hour contracts or anything like that: Most were full-time permanent jobs in research and production laboratories.

Also, it's not about judging people on where they come from, it's about prioritising people you know over those you don't. You seriously trying to tell me you've never done anything for a friend or family member and not every random stranger who also needed the same thing?

I have nothing to lose you do... Such a shame... I regret nothing...

The entire point everyone is trying to make is that we don't know who stands to lose what, and we won't until some negotiated trade deals etc. are put on the table for everyone to examine. And I hate to break it to you, but even if you only have your health right now, you do still have something to lose. Almost all of the people heading the leave campaign have historically made remarks about privatising / selling off the NHS, and Farage pulled a blatant U-turn on live TV regarding that "promise" of handing more money over to it, not 5 hours after the results were announced, so where do you think that's going to go?

I'd like to point out at this stage that I'm not actually closed to the idea of a Brexit being a good thing yet: This will all depend on what is put in place of our EU membership regarding all of our dealings with our geographical neighbors (EU or not, we're still part of Europe on a map, and there's no getting away from that). If the negotiations are handled competently and don't amount to slobbering racism and short-sighted bigotry, I'm all for being able to have a re-think of our relationship with the rest of the EU. I just can't see that happening since all of the politicians who wanted to leave have the combined negotiating skills of a brick with "Fuck you!" written on it.

Response to Brexit wins 2016-06-26 11:16:17

At 6/25/16 05:43 PM, squidly wrote:
At 6/25/16 11:46 AM, someaveragechap wrote: So they'll do a bunch of wrong things and then eventually do the right thing, but a bit too late?
America never does the right thing. I don't think Britain will either.

Lemme rephrase that: America will eventually do the right thing for American interests, but by then, American interests will have changed.

Response to Brexit wins 2016-06-26 12:32:02

At 6/26/16 09:03 AM, zornuzkull wrote: I couldn't give less of a fuck...

Oh I see. You were all about giving a fuck when it came to complaining about your employment problems a few posts ago.

I don't deliberately try to force people out of the job you do realize your basically justifying everything every far right nationalist group has been saying right?

Completely missing the point again. An explanation of a problem's roots (in the hope people will stop blaming the wrong part of society for it) does not equal justifying it. I never said it was an OK thing to do; only that British people can be just as bad at it as any other nationality. It still needs solving, but this is probably not going to solve it. I can't make this any simpler.

It's over now the damage has been done

Is it now? Last time I checked, this was all still advisory, and a growing number of people in the current government are lobbying to reject the result. In addition, there's a conspicuous absence of anyone from the leave camp volunteering to invoke article 50 of Britain's EU membership and actually make it official on any level.

I'm gonna stop now, for the below reason:

At 6/25/16 05:58 PM, zornuzkull wrote: I have nothing to lose you do... Such a shame... I regret nothing...
At 6/26/16 06:57 AM, Sheizenhammer wrote: even if you have only your health, you do still have something to lose.
At 6/26/16 09:19 AM, zornuzkull wrote: I have nothing to lose

^ If you're going to resort to cognitive dissonance like this, there's no further point trying to debate any of it intelligently. If you want to believe an obviously biased tabloid campaign over the warnings of almost every industry leader telling you that this will at best solve nothing, and your opinion is genuinely the majority consensus, then there's nothing anyone can do for this situation besides let everyone see for themselves what happens.

Just don't expect The Sun to report any of the bad sides of this; they'll be deliberately avoiding every news story that doesn't fit with all the bullshit propaganda they spent the last month shoving in everyone's face.

Response to Brexit wins 2018-11-16 12:27:51

JEREMY CLARKSON FOR GREAT BRITISH PRIME MINISTER OF GREAT BRITAIN

YΓIΘA

RIP, never forget

BBS Signature

Response to Brexit wins 2018-11-16 12:43:37

At 11/16/18 12:37 PM, Zornuzkull wrote:
At 11/16/18 12:27 PM, AcidX wrote: JEREMY CLARKSON FOR GREAT BRITISH PRIME MINISTER OF GREAT BRITAIN
i want a referendum on the UK separating from Westminster...

Good idea.
Yeah. They want Brexit. Lets just expand City of London and sell off all our public services to the EU.
That's what they voted for right?

Brexit wins

YΓIΘA

RIP, never forget

BBS Signature

Response to Brexit wins 2018-11-16 13:44:28

At 11/16/18 01:01 PM, Zornuzkull wrote:
meh this has all been a game of fuck the tories... its made them look weak its damaged our international standing but it has been fucking hilarious to watch... i want more refferendums just to make them squirm some more...

That`s the problem with politics today, far too much cynicism.
Any politician playing games over Brexit is playing with fire.

We are living like kings, and these days will last forever.