00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mangoneNG just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Skyrim is getting a 'remaster'

2,919 Views | 33 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-10-31 09:04:21

At 10/31/16 05:15 AM, Dean wrote: Anyone here played the Special Edition enough to have an opinion on it? I was going to install it and give it a go the other day but the Steam reviews aren't great. I get that this game is a much bigger deal on consoles with the inclusion of modding etc. but from what I've read there are a lot of people suggesting it's more of a step back on PC than a step forward.

Not sure what I was even expecting from this on PC, just thought it would give me a reason to get back into Skyrim.

With the backlash they may as well have not bothered releasing this (free, optional) version on PC at all.

The main issues I'm seeing are that the built-in mod manager is garb, if it's anything like Fallout 4 on xbone then I agree, but PC has the added benefit of that being completely optional. The other complaint is the graphics, It does look different rather than just the same style with higher detail so fair enough I guess, changes are never never universally well received especially when it's a purely subjective aesthetic change. Personally I've always thought Skyrim was an ass-ugly game and this edition looks like a big improvement.

It doesn't look like a new release but that's not the point, no one should have expected it to look like the highest quality mods already out. Mods disabling achievements is dumb in Fallout 4 too but that doesn't make the difference between a positive and negative review.

It looks alright, it's a big performance improvement (able to handle way more objects, better draw distance). The one big issue is that it doesn't work with all the old mods by default - only an issue if you already have the original version heavily modded and ready to play, and if you give it a fucking minute modders will port their stuff over anyway.

I never use the word entitled but these people are lacking any perspective, we had to wait months for Fallout mods to launch on xbox and then wait for a decent selection to build, and PS4 ended up not getting them at all. The people whining here are power users who've had the best skyrim experience for years, they're complaining about an optional update that wasn't made for them. Any reaction beyond "oh, okay" is kind of ridiculous.

I could yell at Todd Howard all day for being satan but seriously, there is nothing here to complain about. You'd think they've aggressively phased out the old version when you listen to the negative reviews. People are dumb.

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-10-31 10:45:14

At 7/18/16 07:05 PM, MiroDK wrote:
At 7/18/16 05:26 PM, Auz wrote: I played the last three Elder Scrolls games around the same time and I have say that Morrowind really grew on me whereas I don't really play Skyrim as much anymore. At first I got frustrated with the sluggish running speed and the dice roll system, but I feel like it does have the most depth to its story and characters and it also has the most replayability by far with all the factions you can join. I've done two runs and I still haven't checked out half of them.

I'll give Skyrim another go when I can play it with better graphics though.
I still like Morrowind the best, the text based dialogue has it's charm, and you can read some interesting dialogue with a bunch of NPCs, where in the newer games, it's not possible to have as much dialogue due to it being voiced.

It is a hard game to get into though, especially if you've played the newer games before. I think the worst part is missing your attacks in the beginning of the game, but fortunately it does get a lot better as you level up your skills.

The factions are one of the best features in the game, with some of them having branching paths, and some not being possible to join if you're already in a specific faction. They really screwed this up in Skyrim by dumbing them down to the point where you could become the faction leader at level 4 or something, one of the weakest points of Skyrim.

Morrowind is by far the most engrossing for many reasons. besides the extensive characterization, dialogue and factions, it also has the best navigation system, in that there is no navigation system. you get a map and a compass. Oblivion and Skyrim it's all streamlined and dumbed down, where every location is just a dungeon, and instead of stumbling across them naturally, your HUD tells you exactly where they are, even if you're not actively seeking it as a quest. in Morrowind i always felt a sense of accomplishment just FINDING the quest location, because you're given written directions instead of a map marker. "Head south out of Caldera, turn left at the sign post, the mine is between two large hills at the edge of a lake." that's a basic example obviously but i really felt like i was exploring rather than just wasting time traveling to the location.

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-11-01 00:47:01

I already paid for this game once I mean what more do you want from me my soul?!

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-11-01 18:11:18

At 10/31/16 10:45 AM, Ultramartyr wrote: Morrowind is by far the most engrossing for many reasons. besides the extensive characterization, dialogue and factions, it also has the best navigation system, in that there is no navigation system. you get a map and a compass. Oblivion and Skyrim it's all streamlined and dumbed down, where every location is just a dungeon, and instead of stumbling across them naturally, your HUD tells you exactly where they are, even if you're not actively seeking it as a quest. in Morrowind i always felt a sense of accomplishment just FINDING the quest location, because you're given written directions instead of a map marker. "Head south out of Caldera, turn left at the sign post, the mine is between two large hills at the edge of a lake." that's a basic example obviously but i really felt like i was exploring rather than just wasting time traveling to the location.

I've often cited the navigation in Morrowind and one of its best features. I loved having my map out and referencing it when I was reading directions. So many things in that game make it feel like Dungeons & Dragons. I had a mod for Oblivion that replaced the compass with a minimap, but I ran into a huge problem where I really couldn't find anything because NPCs didn't give any directions besides "go here." I miss Morrowind.