00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Skyrim is getting a 'remaster'

2,943 Views | 33 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-06-14 22:52:24

So if anyone here isn't following E3, or w/e, Bethesda announced that they will remaster Skyrim to be released for current gen consoles (and PC), with mods.

Obviously the main focus of this release is for the console market, but apparently the PC version will also benefit from it due to the engine being upgraded to a 64-bit version (not confirmed, though). Honestly, I couldn't care less about the graphics update due to a lot of mods already doing that, but a better engine is pretty good news. Old mods apparently will be compatible, except those using the script extender, which will probably need to be remade.

Also, if you own Skyrim + all the DLC, or the legendary edition, you'll get a free upgrade to the 'remastered' edition.

So, what did y'all think about this? Unnecessary, awesome,etc?

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-06-15 04:01:04

I kind of wished to could either remastered one of the older TES games or focus on continuing the series. Skyrim was in no need of a "remastering".

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-06-15 12:19:24

At 6/15/16 04:01 AM, Mismo wrote: I kind of wished to could either remastered one of the older TES games or focus on continuing the series. Skyrim was in no need of a "remastering".

If Morrowind got remastered, I'd seriously lose my shit, hell, even Oblivion. It kind of sucks that the most recent game got the 'remaster', but it's a business I guess.

Skyrim was far and away Bethesda's biggest success so I guess it makes sense for a business perspective to milk it for what it's worth. I'm not a huge fan of the Bethesda approach to RPGs, but maybe this'll help bankroll new IPs that run on an engine that isn't duct taped together and I wouldn't need to mod the fuck out of to actually enjoy.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-06-15 14:00:06

I'm so ready for this.. Again!

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-06-15 14:28:03

Fine by me. I imagine the mods and graphical upgrades are a great addition to the console versions. I suppose it's a bit redundant for the PC if it's only for the graphics, but we're getting it for free so whatever I'll take it.

That said, yeah, I would have preferred Morrowind to get a remaster.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-06-15 17:26:47

Would they just cut the shit and come out with The Elder Scrolls VI: Black Marsh?

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-06-15 19:05:54

At 6/15/16 05:26 PM, thenoodge wrote: Would they just cut the shit and come out with The Elder Scrolls VI: Black Marsh?

Oblivion came out four years after Morrowind, and Skyrim came out five years after Oblivion. Skyrim isn't even five years old yet. I prefer they take their time with ES VI.

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-06-15 22:42:50

At 6/15/16 01:11 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote: Part of me wonders if they are remastering it not just because remasters are popular right now, but also to do more experimenting with bringing mods to consoles.

I think this is pretty much the main focus of this 'remaster', and also to milk it a bit more since it's the biggest game they've done so far.

At 6/15/16 02:28 PM, Auz wrote: Fine by me. I imagine the mods and graphical upgrades are a great addition to the console versions. I suppose it's a bit redundant for the PC if it's only for the graphics, but we're getting it for free so whatever I'll take it.

That said, yeah, I would have preferred Morrowind to get a remaster.

Supposedly the engine will be better, so maybe it won't be so redundant for the PC crew. Having a 64 bit engine can really improve performance and speed, but this whole thing about them upgrading it from 32 bit to 64 bit is just rumored.

Either way, it's free I guess.

At 6/15/16 07:05 PM, Valjylmyr wrote: Oblivion came out four years after Morrowind, and Skyrim came out five years after Oblivion. Skyrim isn't even five years old yet. I prefer they take their time with ES VI.

And considering they released Fallout 4 recently, I don't think they're just going to jump to a new TES game so soon.

At 6/14/16 10:52 PM, MiroDK wrote:
Also, if you own Skyrim + all the DLC, or the legendary edition, you'll get a free upgrade to the 'remastered' edition.

So, what did y'all think about this? Unnecessary, awesome,etc?

So if I understand that last part correctly if I own the game but NOT the DLC I don't get a free upgrade to the remastered edition?

Honestly I'm surprised they are giving anyone free upgrades. No one ever does that it seems.

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-06-16 09:38:16

This is cool, but going by the Fallout 4 console mod situation...

"Sound files are currently not supported..." "PS4 mod storage is approximately 900 MB at present."

Hope that changes.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-06-16 14:37:51

This straight up does not matter for PC players. I don't think they've gone into it but I can't imagine this being more than a free texture upgrade for the PC version, the main purpose is bringing it to the new consoles with mod support and VR.

At 6/16/16 09:38 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: This is cool, but going by the Fallout 4 console mod situation...

I've had no problems with mods on the xbone. There's a 2GB limit that we could do without but they've implied they're trying to increase or get rid of it. The 900mb limit on PS4 is really surprising but it sounds like the issue is entirely on Sony's end. One of the most popular xbone mods is a modern weapons pack that's over 900mb on it's own, but weapons and fancy outfits are really the only ones that are going to make space an issue. Any technical adjustment is only going to be a few megabytes and even the foliage overhaul mods to add grass and trees are really small. Anyone who's not a gun nut wanting a shitload of modular weapons should get alone fine with the 2 gig limit, at least for as long as it takes them to figure a way around it.

It's also worth noting that Fallout 4 was out long in advance of mod support, whereas the new Skyrim should be built with them incorporated from the start. I'm sure I just don't understand the technicalities but it's bizarre to me that you can have several gigabytes of official DLC but such a small mod limit.

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-06-16 15:52:43

At 6/15/16 07:05 PM, Valjylmyr wrote:
At 6/15/16 05:26 PM, thenoodge wrote: Would they just cut the shit and come out with The Elder Scrolls VI: Black Marsh?
Oblivion came out four years after Morrowind, and Skyrim came out five years after Oblivion. Skyrim isn't even five years old yet. I prefer they take their time with ES VI.

Half kidding. Apparently they're working on two big projects before that ,and VI is "along way off".

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-06-16 16:02:10

At 6/16/16 02:37 PM, Jackho wrote: The 900mb limit on PS4 is really surprising but it sounds like the issue is entirely on Sony's end. One of the most popular xbone mods is a modern weapons pack that's over 900mb on it's own, but weapons and fancy outfits are really the only ones that are going to make space an issue. Any technical adjustment is only going to be a few megabytes and even the foliage overhaul mods to add grass and trees are really small. Anyone who's not a gun nut wanting a shitload of modular weapons should get alone fine with the 2 gig limit, at least for as long as it takes them to figure a way around it.

Yeah, it does sound like it's Sony. That limit is ass. The sound thing must be a big obstacle, too, though. Hope Sony gets their shit together on this.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-06-17 13:40:22

Why not use that time to develop a better engine instead?

BBS Signature

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-06-17 14:09:07

Are you kidding me? What a waste of time, Skyrim isn't even an old game yet!

At 6/17/16 01:40 PM, kmau wrote: Why not use that time to develop a better engine instead?

Also this.

No Fap November: 2014 - 2022

BBS Signature

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-06-17 16:28:26

Maybe i'm slowly beginning to show my age... but does such a recent release need a remaster? Seriously?!

Vidya Game Music and stuff: Click it

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-07-12 21:54:06

Why don't they combine all worlds into one world?

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-07-13 03:43:15

What an absolute waste for a remaster.

If they remastered oblivion id be jizzing myself all the way to the bank to get money out for that game

BBS Signature

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-07-13 07:38:15

At 6/15/16 12:19 PM, MiroDK wrote:
At 6/15/16 04:01 AM, Mismo wrote: I kind of wished to could either remastered one of the older TES games or focus on continuing the series. Skyrim was in no need of a "remastering".
If Morrowind got remastered,

As much as I love Morrowind, they would never remaster it.

Morrowind was designed at a time when a RPG was really a rpg; your decisions in game actually had consequences, and required thought. Bethesda would rather simplify everything and make nothing matter so they can please the 13 year old market.

It really sucks, but it's going to be up to us fans to keep giving stuff like Morrowind the attention it deserves.

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-07-13 11:06:57

At 7/13/16 07:38 AM, Heretic-Anchorite wrote: As much as I love Morrowind, they would never remaster it.

Morrowind was designed at a time when a RPG was really a rpg; your decisions in game actually had consequences, and required thought. Bethesda would rather simplify everything and make nothing matter so they can please the 13 year old market.

It really sucks, but it's going to be up to us fans to keep giving stuff like Morrowind the attention it deserves.

I think you're overselling it a bit, I mean, Morrowind didn't have that many choices or consequences. There were a few moments where you had to make a choice, like in the guild questlines. The game wasn't as easy to figure out as it's sequels, if that's what you mean, but they could easily put an optional cursor or something to make the game a bit more 'hand-holding', even though the game pretty much gives you an objective most of the time.

Going back to the decisions and etc, even if there were such choices and consequences, I don't think that point makes sense. You have the entire Witcher series which are very popular, and those games have very difficult choices that aren't 'right' or 'wrong'.

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-07-13 11:37:04

I loved Morrowind in my early teens. I tried playing it again after Oblivion came out. No thanks.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-07-13 12:17:34

Hopefully the PS4 version actually works compared to the PS3 version.

Fucking hell, that was a travesty.

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-07-18 15:31:49

It's about time :D

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-07-18 17:26:49

I played the last three Elder Scrolls games around the same time and I have say that Morrowind really grew on me whereas I don't really play Skyrim as much anymore. At first I got frustrated with the sluggish running speed and the dice roll system, but I feel like it does have the most depth to its story and characters and it also has the most replayability by far with all the factions you can join. I've done two runs and I still haven't checked out half of them.

I'll give Skyrim another go when I can play it with better graphics though.

BBS Signature

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-07-18 19:05:49

At 7/18/16 05:26 PM, Auz wrote: I played the last three Elder Scrolls games around the same time and I have say that Morrowind really grew on me whereas I don't really play Skyrim as much anymore. At first I got frustrated with the sluggish running speed and the dice roll system, but I feel like it does have the most depth to its story and characters and it also has the most replayability by far with all the factions you can join. I've done two runs and I still haven't checked out half of them.

I still like Morrowind the best, the text based dialogue has it's charm, and you can read some interesting dialogue with a bunch of NPCs, where in the newer games, it's not possible to have as much dialogue due to it being voiced.

It is a hard game to get into though, especially if you've played the newer games before. I think the worst part is missing your attacks in the beginning of the game, but fortunately it does get a lot better as you level up your skills.

The factions are one of the best features in the game, with some of them having branching paths, and some not being possible to join if you're already in a specific faction. They really screwed this up in Skyrim by dumbing them down to the point where you could become the faction leader at level 4 or something, one of the weakest points of Skyrim.

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-07-19 18:02:31

At 7/18/16 07:05 PM, MiroDK wrote:
At 7/18/16 05:26 PM, Auz wrote: I played the last three Elder Scrolls games around the same time and I have say that Morrowind really grew on me whereas I don't really play Skyrim as much anymore. At first I got frustrated with the sluggish running speed and the dice roll system, but I feel like it does have the most depth to its story and characters and it also has the most replayability by far with all the factions you can join. I've done two runs and I still haven't checked out half of them.

I still like Morrowind the best, the text based dialogue has it's charm, and you can read some interesting dialogue with a bunch of NPCs, where in the newer games, it's not possible to have as much dialogue due to it being voiced.

It is a hard game to get into though, especially if you've played the newer games before. I think the worst part is missing your attacks in the beginning of the game, but fortunately it does get a lot better as you level up your skills.

Yeah, that's the dice roll system which makes very little sense. It's not just combat, you'll pretty much fail at anything until you get your skills up to a decent amount. And there's the slow running speed you start out with, like I said.

The factions are one of the best features in the game, with some of them having branching paths, and some not being possible to join if you're already in a specific faction. They really screwed this up in Skyrim by dumbing them down to the point where you could become the faction leader at level 4 or something, one of the weakest points of Skyrim.

Indeed. They did okay in Oblivion by not having as many factions but the ones you could join had fairly elaborate questlines. With Skyrim I was very disappointed with how little there was. The College of Winterhold disappointed me in particular. Way too short and, if I remember correctly, you don't even need a high magic skill to make it to archmage.

I still think Morrowind's way of gaining promotions in factions made the most sense.

BBS Signature

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-10-30 13:44:43

At 10/30/16 12:11 AM, SolidPantsSnake wrote: For some reason Skyrim special edition is in my steam library despite me not buying it. Are they giving it away to players who already had skyrim, or skyrim legendary?

Yes if you own Skyrim + all the DLC you get a free upgrade to the special edition on PC.

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-10-31 05:12:08

So, I received it on Friday and it's my favourite game. The catch is, I ain't played it yet..

Response to Skyrim is getting a 'remaster' 2016-10-31 05:15:03

Anyone here played the Special Edition enough to have an opinion on it? I was going to install it and give it a go the other day but the Steam reviews aren't great. I get that this game is a much bigger deal on consoles with the inclusion of modding etc. but from what I've read there are a lot of people suggesting it's more of a step back on PC than a step forward.

Not sure what I was even expecting from this on PC, just thought it would give me a reason to get back into Skyrim.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature