00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MagDeWarrior just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Flash to be blocked in latest macOS

553 Views | 17 Replies

"Starting with the next version of macOS, desktop Safari will begin blocking Flash by default across all websites. Flash will still be able to run, but it'll have to be activated on a website-by-website basis."

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/14/11938562/apple-blocking-flash-safari-10-macos-sierra
Oh how times have changed

BBS Signature

Response to Flash to be blocked in latest macOS 2016-06-14 19:40:50

At 6/14/16 07:20 PM, ExtraLife wrote: "Flash will still be able to run, but it'll have to be activated on a website-by-website basis."

So just activate Flash on NG and be done with it.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Flash to be blocked in latest macOS 2016-06-14 20:59:08

At 6/14/16 07:40 PM, Painbringer wrote:
At 6/14/16 07:20 PM, ExtraLife wrote: "Flash will still be able to run, but it'll have to be activated on a website-by-website basis."
So just activate Flash on NG and be done with it.

Oh yeah of course. But that aggressive behavior against Flash is pretty wiggity wiggity wack yo~

BBS Signature

Response to Flash to be blocked in latest macOS 2016-06-14 21:19:51

LOL!
Apple and Safari suck.
Why would anyone use either of those?

Let us wallow in the filth of the void clinging to one another.

Formerly Schizo-sephy.

Response to Flash to be blocked in latest macOS 2016-06-14 21:40:56

It's already blocked by default on Firefox.

It's also not that hard to click a couple of buttons to fix it, it's not like they blocked the whole program.

Allow and Remember, bud.

Allow and Remember.

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash to be blocked in latest macOS 2016-06-14 21:53:56

An opt in system for running flash on websites won't be too bad, maybe a wee bit annoying the first go around.

Those who do not learn from the mistakes of their past are doomed to repeat them.

Response to Flash to be blocked in latest macOS 2016-06-14 22:00:16

Anything that puts an additional step between a viewer and the content makes it less likely that the viewer will actually bother to watch said content.

See: Unity

Response to Flash to be blocked in latest macOS 2016-06-14 22:34:54

Perhaps they should fix their browser first. Dumbasses who adamantly use Safari won't watch flash content in the first place.

If you're a Newgrounds OG who appreciates Flash games with depth, check out the game I made in 2024.

Response to Flash to be blocked in latest macOS 2016-06-14 22:38:57

sounds like a whole heap of bullshit to me

Response to Flash to be blocked in latest macOS 2016-06-14 23:01:39

Oh yes Apple, the friendly computer store!

You haven't seen me yet.

Response to Flash to be blocked in latest macOS 2016-06-15 17:04:32

If I understand this correctly the title is a bit misleading, as it's not the macOS that controls internet content, but the browser. and if you're still using a default OS Safari/Explorer/Edge browser...why??

nonetheless, it's a good idea to have external content disabled by default that can inject malware into your system (or slow the browsing process at minimum). Such as an adblocker, noscript, disabling java, etc.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash to be blocked in latest macOS 2016-06-15 19:14:06

That would block out more ads, which would be great I guess. Plus, it only will be blocked in Safari, not on the whole OS.

Response to Flash to be blocked in latest macOS 2016-06-16 01:37:39

The beginning of the end.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash to be blocked in latest macOS 2016-06-16 04:13:08

honestly, it's to be expected at this point. flash hasn't been safe for a while now, is my understanding. which is why firefox already did this a while ago. it would all be avoided if Adobe made more of an effort to fix all of the security issues with Flash. but Flash will continue to be a great development tool, .swf will just continue to be a less and less used format.

this is the reason Newgrounds has been making an effort to convert games and movies, so not much is really changing.

also, Apple didn't kill Flash by not allowing it on iPhones, Adobe killed Flash by not updating security and making it less of a CPU hog so it would be reasonable to run on mobile.

crazy? i'm not crazy. i'm a table.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash to be blocked in latest macOS 2016-06-16 10:32:46

At 6/14/16 10:00 PM, Bit wrote: Anything that puts an additional step between a viewer and the content makes it less likely that the viewer will actually bother to watch said content.

See: Unity

I woke up one day and found out everything that's not on FB or YT is "the deep Web." They have to create a monopoly in order to make platform based paywalls profitable. As long as there's 20years of awesome free content available, it's going to be difficult to sell new content. It's hard to put in a toll road once a freeway is already set up.

This is a song about death. It's on mandolin.

Hate is the first step to all solutions.

You will not end bigotry until you learn to hate it.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash to be blocked in latest macOS 2016-06-16 16:45:24

At 6/16/16 01:37 AM, Ganon-Dorf wrote: The beginning of the end.

It's been blocked in Firefox for quite some time now though.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Apple is the reason Adobe is basically making flash obsolete.

Waaaay back in 2011...
Rather than coding flash for multiple platforms
(windows, ios, android, etc.)
Adobe started working on a new.... cross-platform software known as (Adobe) Edge

Why?

Because Apple cried and complained and stamped their feet when android devices were able to run flash and theirs were not.

Adobe gave in and agreed to code a multiple platform software.

...everyone thought that flash would be replaced by the html-5 powered Edge on ios devices at some point.

...and guess what Adobe cancelled it.

...and Apple.... being the extremely assdamaged company that it is, is going to block it on their devices initially (and probably completely at some point) and for good reason too.... Adobe isn't going to provide support for ios devices.

HTML 5 is the future anyway

...and I'm sure NG will have no problem adapting.

Who knows.... it may even be able to play flv and swf formats at some point.

От каждого по способностям, каждому по потребностям

BBS Signature

Response to Flash to be blocked in latest macOS 2016-06-16 23:50:48

At 6/14/16 07:20 PM, ExtraLife wrote: Oh how times have changed

The writing was on the wall when YouTube adopted html5 video.

"A witty quote proves nothing."

~Voltaire

BBS Signature