00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

0llybros just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Sleep Aids and Remedies

1,787 Views | 33 Replies

Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-05 23:30:16

Do you or have you ever used any medicine or product to help yourself sleep (or sleep better)?

I started taking a 3mg Melatonin pill an hour before bed awhile back when I couldn't get to sleep, due to persistent thoughts being on my mind. I've also started utilizing lavender sleep spray, which I spritz on my pillow before getting into bed. I've tried warm baths at night. I've tried breaking from all electronic screens an hour before bedtime in hopes of having a deeper sleep. I've smoked the herbal medicine as well. I just want to wake up and not be tired.

BBS Signature

Response to Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-05 23:30:58

A brick to the temple.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-05 23:40:37

There are a whole bunch of natural and pharmaceutical remedies for sleep. I had a sleeping disorder way back when I was a teenager and I just couldn't shut my mind down at night. I would stay up all night on Newgrounds BBS and even when I wasn't on the computer I would lie in bed staring at the ceiling. I spoke with my doctor and he had me try some things like white noise, totally shutting off TVs, computers and radios and not even reading an hour before I needed to be to sleep. Still I would lie awake most of the night. He gave me a script for a pill that I think was originally for depression but had the side effect of causing drowsiness so I started taking that and eventually I got in the habit of falling asleep.

These days I have a bottle of over the counter sleep aids that I might use an hour or 2 before bed. The melatonin pills at CVS arent in a high enough concentration to have any impact on me. But Tylenol simply sleep seems to work within a couple of hours.

But really you would want to try shutting down any distractions almost 1 hour before you need to be asleep. No phone no reading no TV etc. Try a white noise app on your phone or tablet if you find yourself being distracted by traffic noise outside or people in the house. If that doesn't work talk to your physician about other options.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-06 15:39:25 (edited 2016-06-06 15:40:40)

I don't usually have a problem with falling asleep, but I have problems getting restful sleep sometimes. I've tried Neuro Sleep, which is a beverage in a bottle with ingredients in it to make you sleepy and promote good sleep. It basically acts as a form of Melatonin. It did kind of knock me out, but then I just wanted to sleep all day the next day.

You should give a shot, though. It's like 2 dollars and some odd cents for a bottle. You can find it at a Wal-Mart or some other retail stores.

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits.

BBS Signature

Response to Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-06 16:25:34

Alteril. My family works nightshift and it can be difficult having to sleep during daylight hours. I've tried it before and it works pretty nicely.

Birds Born in a cage think Flying is an illness - Alejandro Jodorowsky

BBS Signature

Response to Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-06 17:06:46

Earplugs do me a lot of good. Just completely shutting out anything loud enough to maybe disturb you without taking you so out of the world you get weirded out by your heartbeat.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-06 17:16:01

I do my best to avoid taking over-the-counter drugs, and have never had to really use a prescription for something like that. However, that does not mean that I did not have trouble sleeping myself. I would remember how easy it would be for me to pull all-nighters simply because of the difficulty I had in catching some shut-eye. I can only speak for myself as to what works for me, but if you haven't done these things, I think it's worth looking into.

First off, the biggest reason why I could not sleep (and why I think a lot of people have trouble sleeping) is because of the sedentary lifestyle I had as an adolescent. I don't think I have to explain much on this. When you lead an active lifestyle and devote a small portion of your day towards cardiovascular endurance training, you will more than likely get a better night's sleep. You'll also be a little more healthier overall, both in mind and body!

Next, and this ties in a little with the first one, is nutrition. Consuming large amounts of sugar, simple carbohydrates, or alcohol before bed is guaranteed to fuck with your sleep. Always opt for a more whole meal dinner and lay off the desserts or evening snacks. It is my view that we have a sugar problem in this country, and popping some night-night pills is only a band-aid solution to ONE of the many conditions it brings.

Lastly, I have found that using natural lighting, like a candle, combined with reading a book can help tremendously if you are really trying to force yourself to sleep. Puts me out like a light. Get it?

I hope you consider these good habits, because they certainly helped me in getting the sleep that I need to take on the day with a bright smile on my face! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-06 17:46:40 (edited 2016-06-06 17:47:45)

I've been using this realaxation app.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/relax-melodies-oriental-meditation/id448207365?mt=8

I go for more of the music than the sounds/white noise. Though I did find the sound of wind and the creaking of an old wooden ship was nice.(you can play more than one setting at a time) of course use these at low volume.

And I have to echo the thought on cutting as much processed sugar out of your diet as you can. And no eating a few hours before bed.
Keep the lights low at night. As you said, keep away from electronic screens. Some low light reading(an actual book) works for some, not so much for others.
Try to keep a consistent bedtime, and don't stay up late. Staying up late can disrupt your circadian rythm, making it hard to fall asleep.
And try to do a bit of cardio every day. Get that heart pumping.

Response to Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-06 17:53:11

If I cant sleep, I usually just rub one out and them fall asleep immediately.

I'm not even kidding. None of the other remedies I've heard others repeat ad nauseum have helped like a good old quickie does.

Response to Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-06 20:43:38

At 6/6/16 05:22 PM, Combatboots wrote: Ya but its all prescribed. I was on zopiclone for a bit but thats only for short term. When I got blindsided with bipolar the docs switched me to seroquel as its an anti psychotic and, albeit, less than regularly prescribed sleep aid.

I've taken some amitriptyline, but not enough long term to know if it would really improve my sleeping. It made me feel all funny the first night after I took it, like something just wasn't right, but I couldn't pinpoint what wasn't right. The medicine has some weird side effects.

At 6/6/16 03:39 PM, DeftonesFan665 wrote: I've tried Neuro Sleep, which is a beverage in a bottle with ingredients in it to make you sleepy and promote good sleep.

What does it taste like? I'm more of a pill person, than a liquid person.

BBS Signature

Response to Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-06 20:47:09

At 6/6/16 08:43 PM, Kayleeee wrote:
At 6/6/16 03:39 PM, DeftonesFan665 wrote: I've tried Neuro Sleep, which is a beverage in a bottle with ingredients in it to make you sleepy and promote good sleep.
What does it taste like?

The flavor is mellow mango, it's really good.

I'm more of a pill person, than a liquid person.

Don't knock it 'till you try it! It's cheaper than pills, I'm sure, so I'd say it's worth a shot.

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits.

BBS Signature

Response to Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-17 22:26:09

At 6/17/16 10:19 PM, BonemanCharles wrote: I took Melatonin, it helped at first but it made it hard to get up in morning so I just dont take them anymore.
A hard day of work gets me snoozing, have you tried working out?

You have to take Melatonin an hour before you want to fall asleep, and then proceed to rest after you take it. I have worked out in the past, but not much recently.

BBS Signature

Response to Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-17 22:39:23

Try some laxatives.

This post is generated by human intelligence (or lack thereof).

Response to Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-17 22:45:39

At 6/17/16 10:39 PM, Jin wrote: Try some laxatives.

How exactly would laxatives be a sleep aid?

BBS Signature

Response to Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-17 23:13:58

At 6/6/16 05:06 PM, stafffighter wrote: Earplugs do me a lot of good. Just completely shutting out anything loud enough to maybe disturb you without taking you so out of the world you get weirded out by your heartbeat.

I used to do that when I had a snore person next to me.

Response to Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-17 23:52:02

At 6/17/16 10:45 PM, Kayleeee wrote: How exactly would laxatives be a sleep aid?

You'll run out of energy shitting yourself.

This post is generated by human intelligence (or lack thereof).

Response to Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-18 00:15:01

Gunshot

Response to Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-18 00:47:55

cough medicine if you're adequately depressed

Response to Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-18 03:44:40

At 6/18/16 12:47 AM, Jester wrote: cough medicine if you're adequately depressed

mixed with Sprite, sure

BBS Signature

Response to Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-18 04:00:56

Fapping always makes me tired.

Though I heard that sex makes women more awake and guys more sleepy. Gee thanks nature.

Response to Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-18 07:28:46

At 6/18/16 04:00 AM, BenwaHakubi wrote: Though I heard that sex makes women more awake and guys more sleepy. Gee thanks nature.

Sex just makes me want to eat a sandwich afterwards.

BBS Signature

Response to Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-18 07:55:48

At 6/18/16 07:47 AM, zornuzkull wrote:
At 6/18/16 03:44 AM, Kayleeee wrote:
At 6/18/16 12:47 AM, Jester wrote: cough medicine if you're adequately depressed
mixed with Sprite, sure

That's me.

BBS Signature

Response to Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-18 08:14:07

At 6/6/16 05:57 PM, SirWaffleThe3rd wrote:
At 6/5/16 11:30 PM, Phobotech wrote: A brick to the temple.
A gun to the temple.

A BFG9000 to the temple, I guess, would work too

If Friendship is truly Magic, then I'm little more than a muggle in this regard...

Response to Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-18 08:52:14

At 6/18/16 08:28 AM, LuckyLightTitan wrote: Just keep thinking about stuff and switch from a topic to another.
I usually sleep faster whenever i do that.

I don't think that would work for me. Thoughts keep me awake.

BBS Signature

Response to Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-18 09:08:39

cancer

just call me "Jay", thanks.

ask me questions i guess

Profile Image by https://twitter.com/Momochii_art

Response to Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-18 09:41:42

At 6/18/16 08:54 AM, LuckyLightTitan wrote: You'll eventually get bored and sleep.

Not if you're thinking about interesting things.

BBS Signature

Response to Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-18 10:10:50

At 6/18/16 09:54 AM, LuckyLightTitan wrote:
At 6/18/16 09:41 AM, Kayleeee wrote:
At 6/18/16 08:54 AM, LuckyLightTitan wrote: You'll eventually get bored and sleep.
Not if you're thinking about interesting things.
Yeah... i don't think so...

You don't think about interesting things?

BBS Signature

Response to Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-18 19:10:26

At 6/5/16 11:30 PM, Kayleeee wrote: Do you or have you ever used any medicine or product to help yourself sleep (or sleep better)?

I started taking a 3mg Melatonin pill an hour before bed awhile back when I couldn't get to sleep, due to persistent

I sleep with teddy bears

Response to Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-18 21:13:50

At 6/18/16 08:59 PM, LuckyLightTitan wrote:
At 6/18/16 10:10 AM, Kayleeee wrote: You don't think about interesting things?
No, i do but it usually helps me sleep faster.

Hmm. That's interesting. It would not work for me. I'm glad it works for you though.

BBS Signature

Response to Sleep Aids and Remedies 2016-06-19 13:35:40

At 6/18/16 12:15 AM, Neoslayre wrote: Gunshot

Or you could just come over for the night.

BBS Signature