00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

twinkle123 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

the subjective value of humans

2,095 Views | 33 Replies

Response to the subjective value of humans 2016-06-06 00:21:15

What you're saying is true, but at the same time it isn't. Humans are naturally inclined to see humans as more authentic and real than any other animal, and therefore we are inherently inclined to sympathize and care about the lives of other humans more than we would a non-human animal. It isn't a trait unique to humans, either. Lots of social animals are virtually the same way. Of course in reality we aren't anything special, but we're always going to value human beings above anything else for the most part, and I'm one of those people. That's why I'd go out of my way to help a human before I would a squirrel or something.

Response to the subjective value of humans 2016-06-06 00:30:23

I see lots of dualism happening in this thread, and some attempts at physicalism, but nothing really interesting or nuanced, it's mostly just inane.

BBS Signature

Response to the subjective value of humans 2016-06-06 02:22:04

At 6/5/16 05:32 PM, beakerboy wrote: You don't understand
Rape, murder, and thievery are all part of human nature

All of these things are labels ascribed to different behaviors. I had a really interesting thread take off where I was discussing rape as an arbitrary set of conditions that can accompany assault. I think it's natural for people to follow through with impulses to harm each other or to seek instant gratification via theft, but you seem to be more opposed to the idea of these things as bad rather than simply disregarding or ignoring the labels.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to the subjective value of humans 2016-06-10 19:00:03

2 edgy 4 me

BBS Signature