00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Why is metal so conservative?

1,619 Views | 20 Replies

It's like, every time a band tries to freshen up the metal genre, they get crapped on for it and rejected.

>dream theater tries to put progressive rock into metal
>everybody makes fun of them

>Primus made their metal efforts extremely funky and Les's playstyle is iconic.
> "Primus is random sporkcore music".

> Korn reinvented and revived metal by making the guitar a texture, focusing the actual instrumentation on other instruments like the percussion.
>a lot of people don't like Korn's first album for the genre it spawned. Is it because some people like to hear the same kind of thing over and over again or no?

Why does metal seem to frown upon experimentation most of the time? Most of the metal tracks I've heard on Dubtrack (especially modern metal) sound the same to me.

filler text

Response to Why is metal so conservative? 2016-06-04 17:07:32

Can't really agree with you dude. Metal is notorious for its various subgenres and tendency to incorporate themes from other genres for the sake of uniqueness. Not that there's anything wrong with that! I think you've been listening to a lot of haters and elitists.

BBS Signature

Response to Why is metal so conservative? 2016-06-04 17:26:15

I only like korn as a vegetable...

Response to Why is metal so conservative? 2016-06-04 17:33:14

There are a lot of purists in the metal genre, and a lot of those folks are of the white male demographic (with the possible exception of funk metal) who are usually resistant to change their sound lest they be considered a sellout. (Hell, Metallica and Megadeth got flak for changing up their sound) Also, the criticism is largely seems to more focused in the West (particularly in the US and Western Europe) than in say Japan or South Korea, where it is usually much more accepted, or at least judged not as harshly. About the only nu-metal band that most purists don't go after is Slipknot, (and they don't deny their nu-metal roots even when they gotten away from it) Deftones and maybe Godsmack. (who were able to shift their sound without being trend hoppers)

Now, I will point out that there are also defenders of nu-metal, metalcore and other sub genres of metal within the community as well, who at least acknowledge that these off-shoots aren't really that bad, albeit mostly because hard rock that isn't over 30 years old is losing radio play with a few exceptions, not that they necessarily needed radio play before. In fact, I made a similar point about this in an earlier post about nu-metal became a scapegoat genre in the mid-2000's due to its overexposure.

Simply stated, the purists (both from fans and even certain bands) shunned many metal offshoots in the west due to a mix of close-minded thinking, disdain for other genres and the fact that said metal offshoots got more appeal to different demographics that weren't their own. This has died down somewhat during this decade (as with hair metal in the 00's) due to modern hard rock being marginalized by the mainstream and nostalgic reimaging of their youth, for better or worse.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Why is metal so conservative? 2016-06-04 20:14:27

At 6/4/16 04:43 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: Why does metal seem to frown upon experimentation most of the time?

Do you even listen to metal? Because if you did you'd know how much bullshit that is.

Most of the metal tracks I've heard on Dubtrack (especially modern metal) sound the same to me.

Maybe try looking elsewhere then? Because there is A TON of different, new, and exciting things going on with metal music but can guarantee that you've either barely scratched the surface or are listening to only "popular" or the "mainstream" crap that's played on the radio. But by all means don't listen to me or come up with some lame excuse why you wont do that. Because, regardless of what genre, you can find good stuff in damn near everything if you just look.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Why is metal so conservative? 2016-06-04 20:59:08

Metal is macho. Even with glam metal, the least macho of all metal, they mainly wrote about getting chicks and acting crazy. For a long time, metal was known for being intense music with a lot of aggression. Speed, distortion, disregarding delicate frames of mind, deliberately forcing coarseness onto the listener, these were key aspects of traditional metal.

Keyboards/synth can really kill a traditional metal vibe for a lot of people. It brings it into a different realm of emotional digestion. Korn uses a lot of synth in their bigger songs, freak on a leash for example. It becomes more reflective as music. Metal can be experimented with as long as the aggression isnt lost or overshadowed by something else. The more that the core agressive elements are removed, you will see a lack of following.

If you view life as a mission for truth and purity in vision, you can become as the anointed and fade away from the disjointed.

BBS Signature

Response to Why is metal so conservative? 2016-06-04 21:15:30

At 6/4/16 08:59 PM, TheSanityAssassin wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJfJLDm5YWw
This doesn't really have a whole lot to do with what you were saying. I just wanted to post this.

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Why is metal so conservative? 2016-06-04 22:51:08

At 6/4/16 09:15 PM, Viper wrote: This doesn't really have a whole lot to do with what you were saying.

Except it kinda does. King diamond falsetto vocals guarantee a smaller following. Lol. Power metal vocals also. More people should know about Andre matos or Roy khan, but they don't.

If you view life as a mission for truth and purity in vision, you can become as the anointed and fade away from the disjointed.

BBS Signature

Response to Why is metal so conservative? 2016-06-04 23:08:50

At 6/4/16 10:51 PM, TheSanityAssassin wrote:
At 6/4/16 09:15 PM, Viper wrote: This doesn't really have a whole lot to do with what you were saying.
Except it kinda does. King diamond falsetto vocals guarantee a smaller following. Lol. Power metal vocals also. More people should know about Andre matos or Roy khan, but they don't.

Well I'd say King Diamond style falsetto is a bit more "ridiculous" than the ones from Skull Fist. Though I'll agree they more or less guarantee you won't get as big of a following as you would if you employed "normal" vocals. Also I know about Roy Khan but that's because I like Kamelot.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Why is metal so conservative? 2016-10-17 04:06:05

It's not really the musicians themselves that frown upon experimentation, they are most probably scared of trying new things for fear of losing, whatever minuscule, fan base they have.

I played in a Metal band in South Africa until recently, and even though we incorporated many different styles (thrash, power, melodic etc), the bands that had the most 'common metal' sound were the ones that gained attention.

It's a product of what the public both are able to swallow, and what they deem musical nowadays.

Response to Why is metal so conservative? 2016-10-17 04:59:46

At 6/4/16 08:14 PM, Viper wrote:
Do you even listen to metal? Because if you did you'd know how much bullshit that is.

OP is basically the newest shitposter here, so you really shouldn't take him seriously.

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits.

BBS Signature

At 6/4/16 04:43 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: It's like, every time a band tries to freshen up the metal genre, they get crapped on for it and rejected.
>dream theater
>Primus
> Korn
Most of the metal tracks I've heard on Dubtrack (especially modern metal) sound the same to me.

Your variety of bands is abhorring. No wonder you think metal conservative.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Why is metal so conservative? 2016-10-17 13:34:42

At 6/4/16 10:24 PM, zornuzkull wrote: Metal is constantly changing and evolving... It's the beast that does not die...

like my raging hardon for you

BBS Signature

This sounds more like a blogpost about how you're mad that your favorite bands are often criticized by people, which they are for a reason.

Like most prog metal bands, Dream Theater is just technical wankery with no actual song writing or substance. Prog metal, and similarly technical death metal always fall into this trap. They think the more technical a song is, the more talented and impressive you are, which is horseshit.

I have no idea why you mentioned Primus though. Nobody considers Primus to be metal in the slightest.

And Korn is just god awful. Nu-metal is one of the worst genres to sprout in recent times.

At first I thought this post was going to be about why metal is a politically conservative genre, which would be an interesting debate to have. Metal is by far one of the most diverse genres in music, or at the very least has the most subgenres within it, so I really have to disagree you.

First off, I have never and will never regard Primus as a metal band. They just are not. Always annoyed me that they got thrown into that category because people didn't know which genre they neatly fit into. Alas, uniqueness is usually rewarded with stupidity.

Had never heard of AAL. Just checked out on of their videos. I think one of the issues is your average fan has no idea of the amount of skill it takes to write and play something like that, and so that level of technical playing gets lost on a lot of listeners. Also not having any vocals is automatically going to cut your fan base down. Vocals are the thing that everybody connects to, and the one instrument everybody has.(except mutes, of course ;))

Also, I's be remiss if I didn't leave this right here...

Response to Why is metal so conservative? 2016-10-17 15:51:50

That's a sweeping generalization.

Take it from a metalhead who's involved in a band and has been around the scene his whole life.

You're talking about the elitists that just don't want anything changed and wanna keep it "old school". I agree, metal has plenty of those. But there are a lot of prog guys who like to hear new-age, modernized type of technicalities. Personally I don't, but I'm also not some annoying elitist that goes around screaming "old school for life".

I think more bands should try to be innovative instead of copying each other in my opinion, but if it sounds like shit it sounds like shit.

is it though? i don't think that's true.

that said, i'm not a huge fan of most metal. for me it really tends to break down in one of 2 ways, does the vocalist bark and growl into the mic or can/does the guy sing?

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to Why is metal so conservative? 2016-10-18 01:24:01

You are so wrong. There are so many subgenres of metal and there are so many bands pumping out new ways to convey emotion through their instruments.
Language 1 & 2 - The Contortionist

STEAM

"What I would and wouldn't do with your tight twink body is none of their business. But seriously, I would fucking destroy you." - Xenomit

BBS Signature

Response to Why is metal so conservative? 2016-10-18 07:47:50

I don't think OP deserved quite the negative response he got. For one thing, most of the objections to OP's post deal with the music itself, whereas OP's post deals with the *fans* of metal music, rather than the actual music. Key important difference.

Basically he's not saying there aren't bands that experiment with broadening the metal genre or etc... So any arguments against that are strawman arguments.

So I will argue against the actual point -- that of the *fans* being too resistant of change. And to that I will just say you'll find the exact thing with fans of any music genre. There will be purists who insist any specific genre must be done some exact way/etc... for literally *any* genre.

So the reason metal fans (or at least whatever vocal subset OP has in mind) are so conservative is because music fans of any genre will always have some purist vocal subset.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Why is metal so conservative? 2016-10-18 13:38:35

Metal fans on the internet are usually the most insufferable music snobs, which is unfortunate because i like metal music, mainly because there's about 500 subgenres of it and they will fucking get on you if you say X is metal. they'll be like NO IT'S NOT METAL IT'S ____CORE. TOTALLY DIFFERENT.

Response to Why is metal so conservative? 2016-10-18 18:26:45

People don't get that when someone tells you something isn't metal, it doesn't necessarily mean they don't like it. I love Primus and I like some Korn now and then. People just keep mistaking them for metal. No need to call people "elitist" over it. Korn themselves would correct you on this.

Also, there's a lot of experimentation in metal. "Avant garde metal" is pretty great.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature