00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

aniMATING just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Is my track good enough for games?

2,992 Views | 55 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

At 6/5/16 03:20 PM, kenki wrote:
Personally I hate tracks that are heavily mixed to sound professional.

I can't find the words to adequately express how bad that opinion is.

The worth of a man can be measured by the length of his reverb, and the girth of his waveform

Thees waveforme iz veri dangerous. Ve must deal vit it. squash

Response to Is my track good enough for games? 2016-06-05 23:48:59

At 6/5/16 05:55 PM, PeterSatera wrote:
At 6/5/16 03:20 PM, kenki wrote: Some will dig it, some won't. Personally I hate tracks that are heavily mixed to sound professional. It's all about working on your style, and having the right audience find you.
Unfortunately, I have to completely disagree, and worryingly that that is your opinion considering the area you want to go into, games music, film music etc.

When you compose for a game, movie or other form of visual media you cannot expect the director/developers to embrace to your lack of polished style and lack of professionalism in your track, it's not as simple as 'some won't dig it'. They'll have a opinion on what they want, and they'll want the quality to be at professional level, on par with other composers.

If you create for those mediums such as a game, you're part of a post production which is a requirement to fulfill development, that doesn't stand on it's own but complements the product. And if you cannot fulfill that requirement you will be seen as incapable of achieving the professional finishing and will most likely be removed from the project without compensation. It happens, a lot. And not with small time names, but big ones, like m83 with the film Oblivion. Their sound wasn't good enough and they ended getting Anthony Gonzalez to do a lot of helping on it to get it to that 'Hollywood sound'.

There's no room for "that's my style, you're not my audience."

If you tell any developer your intent is to not sound polished and professional then you'll not be an asset worth hiring. That's certainly not how the games industry works. Your music is part of a post process which should complement the original vision. Anything other and it's not worth your time, nor theirs.

I was speaking generally. I don't care enough to argue about it, but that's my opinion. If he's shooting for the gold standard of video game music then yeah; I agree. I was under the assumption it was for a game he was wanting to make, or some project he and some friends were working on. I didn't read all of the post anyways.

My point is that don't get discouraged when you don't make perfect material. Everyone starts somewhere, and insulting someone who is just asking for an opinion is petty. Not speaking to you specifically (or I might I don't remember who commented negatively), but I thought it was fine for some beginner work.

Been here since '03 and less than 1,000 posts

Response to Is my track good enough for games? 2016-06-05 23:51:05

At 6/5/16 11:12 PM, Rennh wrote:

I like simple/non-flashy music. Nothing wrong with that. Sorry if I didn't convey that properly.

Have fun being the coolest guy on the NGBBS

At 6/5/16 11:51 PM, kenki wrote:
I like simple/non-flashy music. Nothing wrong with that. Sorry if I didn't convey that properly.

There is simple/non flashy music that is mixxed and mastered well. Lots of people like simple music like liquid dnb (not in the vein of feint, there is alot of simple dnb that just has repetitive beats)

but that doesnt mean it isnt mixxed well.

Saying you like simple/non flashy music is an entirely different thing than saying you hate stuff that sounds professionally mixed.

You are basically saying "I like bad music and hate good music" To me you come off as purposefully trying to be "different" as if your actively forcing yourself to "have" (pretend to have?) that opinion.

But who knows, maybe you actually just have incredibly awful taste. some people like music thats just a bunch of random noises put together. some people even like microtonal music. so its entirely possible.

The worth of a man can be measured by the length of his reverb, and the girth of his waveform

At 6/6/16 12:09 AM, Rennh wrote:
At 6/5/16 11:51 PM, kenki wrote:

There is simple/non flashy music that is mixxed and mastered well. Lots of people like simple music like liquid dnb (not in the vein of feint, there is alot of simple dnb that just has repetitive beats)

but that doesnt mean it isnt mixxed well.

Saying you like simple/non flashy music is an entirely different thing than saying you hate stuff that sounds professionally mixed.

You are basically saying "I like bad music and hate good music" To me you come off as purposefully trying to be "different" as if your actively forcing yourself to "have" (pretend to have?) that opinion.

But who knows, maybe you actually just have incredibly awful taste. some people like music thats just a bunch of random noises put together. some people even like microtonal music. so its entirely possible.

There is no such thing as good, bad or awful, that's just an opinion. Everyone has different taste. Just because you're not a fan of it, doesn't mean its awful, you just don't like it, but I'm sure there are tons of people who would certainly enjoy the stuff you don't. If kenki likes music that isn't professionally mix and mastered, then good for him. I'm sort of with him on that note, I hate professional standard music, its boring and they all sound the same.

At 6/6/16 12:26 AM, Modnex wrote:
There is no such thing as good, bad or awful, that's just an opinion.

Objectively one can say if many people like a certain sound then its good. and if very few people liek it then its bad. You can argue a completely garbage mix is good all day but in the end your taste is awful. Im not even talking about genres here, im talking about mixing.

When something sounds professionally mixed, you can objectively say its because many people like it over other ways of mixing it.

So yes, good, and bad do exist. in his first post he wasnt even talking about a genre, he straight said he hates professional sounding mixes. It was onyl until later genres were brought up

he seemed to "move the goalpost" of his argument into genre territory, but his first post was saying he "hated heavy mixing that makes it sound professional" Like I said earlier, i cant even adequately express how bad that opinion is.

It's an oxymoron, probably stated without much thought into the argument in the first place. Which is apparently the case because when he tried explaining his point his explanation had pretty much nothing to do with his actual first statement.

If you were to say people like Thomas Bergersen had "good taste" itd be fine. his music is loved by many and is regarded as well made. denying that a polar opposite end to that kind of spectrum exists is simply naive.

Response to Is my track good enough for games? 2016-06-06 01:34:30

At 6/6/16 12:45 AM, Rennh wrote:
At 6/6/16 12:26 AM, Modnex wrote:
There is no such thing as good, bad or awful, that's just an opinion.
Objectively one can say if many people like a certain sound then its good. and if very few people liek it then its bad. You can argue a completely garbage mix is good all day but in the end your taste is awful. Im not even talking about genres here, im talking about mixing.

When something sounds professionally mixed, you can objectively say its because many people like it over other ways of mixing it.

So yes, good, and bad do exist. in his first post he wasnt even talking about a genre, he straight said he hates professional sounding mixes. It was onyl until later genres were brought up

he seemed to "move the goalpost" of his argument into genre territory, but his first post was saying he "hated heavy mixing that makes it sound professional" Like I said earlier, i cant even adequately express how bad that opinion is.

It's an oxymoron, probably stated without much thought into the argument in the first place. Which is apparently the case because when he tried explaining his point his explanation had pretty much nothing to do with his actual first statement.

If you were to say people like Thomas Bergersen had "good taste" itd be fine. his music is loved by many and is regarded as well made. denying that a polar opposite end to that kind of spectrum exists is simply naive.

Good and bad are based on one's opinion, believe it or not. The definition of good is entirely based off of your likes, taste, past, and personal experiences. Which way you use the terms, obviously differs depending on the particular subject at hand. But, at the end of the day, your definition of the term good will solely depend on one of the four points I stated up top. Everyone's definition of good will be different regardless of the subject of choice. Saying and I quote "i cant even adequately express how bad that opinion is.", is just that, an opinion. In your opinion, people who hate songs that are mixed and mastered professionally have bad taste in music. But, not everyone will agree with you and since there is no actual evidence to back anyone's statement about that particular subject, this makes yours and everyone else statement an opinion. Opposed to a truthful statement.

For me I dislike tracks that are professionally mixed, as this is the route most songs head in nowadays and yes in my opinion professionally mixed songs do sound like other professionally mixed songs, because they all use the same techniques to get that radio ready sound.

At 6/6/16 01:34 AM, Modnex wrote:
For me I dislike tracks that are professionally mixed, as this is the route most songs head in nowadays and yes in my opinion professionally mixed songs do sound like other professionally mixed songs, because they all use the same techniques to get that radio ready sound.

This just doesnt make sense though

Seriously, all im getting out of this is that you and the other guy like mixes that were made by people who have no idea how to mix. The only reason professionals are called professionals is because they are GOOD at mixing.

you might as well like a bad football team because they dont now how to play football

If you were to say "I dont like the mixing that usually accompanies x genre" then you might have something actually logical.

As of right now though, you simply sound ostentatious and/or illogical.

Response to Is my track good enough for games? 2016-06-06 02:22:08

At 6/6/16 01:50 AM, Rennh wrote:
At 6/6/16 01:34 AM, Modnex wrote:
This just doesnt make sense though

Seriously, all im getting out of this is that you and the other guy like mixes that were made by people who have no idea how to mix. The only reason professionals are called professionals is because they are GOOD at mixing.

you might as well like a bad football team because they dont now how to play football

If you were to say "I dont like the mixing that usually accompanies x genre" then you might have something actually logical.

As of right now though, you simply sound ostentatious and/or illogical.

It doesn't make sense to you as its your opinion! Its no reason to continue talking about this, as we obviously will never agree and its not something worth going on about. I will say this though, professionals are not called professionals because they are "good or bad". They're called professionals because some (see how I said "some") people like their work enough to buy it. This doesn't classify them as good in general, it just classifies them as decent enough to get sales. Other people might completely hate their music and think people who buy their music are complete idiots, making it their opinion to do so. Regardless of what analogy you come up with, be it football team, music genre, tv station, etc. Those are all opinions. No one on this earth are completely alike ( not even twins) which is why opinions exist. Even if you agree with someone, doesn't mean your opinions are Exactly alike, it just means you have similar opinions.

Response to Is my track good enough for games? 2016-06-06 02:33:29

At 6/6/16 02:22 AM, Modnex wrote: It doesn't make sense to you as its your opinion!

*starts to write response*

*sets emoji reaction to :3 as usual*

*pauses*

*reads what you wrote closer*

*sighs*

*stops writing response*

*deletes entire response*

*closes Chrome*

*shuts laptop*

*tosses laptop out of window*

*sets house on fire*

*burns down city*

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

At 6/3/16 03:28 PM, midimachine wrote: your track is poorly mixed with cheap sounding instruments and boring composition

so... maybe it's good enough for someone?

Also midi do you really believe this kind of response has ever helped anyone? Let some love into your heart, man. <3

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

At 6/6/16 02:22 AM, Modnex wrote:

now though, you simply sound ostentatious and/or illogical.

It doesn't make sense to you as its your opinion! Its no reason to continue talking about this, as we obviously will never agree and its not something worth going on about. I will say this though, professionals are not called professionals because they are "good or bad". They're called professionals because some (see how I said "some") people like their work enough to buy it. This doesn't classify them as good in general, it just classifies them as decent enough to get sales. Other people might completely hate their music and think people who buy their music are complete idiots, making it their opinion to do so. Regardless of what analogy you come up with, be it football team, music genre, tv station, etc. Those are all opinions. No one on this earth are completely alike ( not even twins) which is why opinions exist. Even if you agree with someone, doesn't mean your opinions are Exactly alike, it just means you have similar opinions.

I feel like you dont know that there is a difference between a professional audio engineer and the actual composer of the songs that they mix.

An audio engineer will only mix and master your song. They don't have anything to do with composing the song.

someone who is a professional in that field simply knows A LOT of mixing and mastering techniques. compressor, mastering software (e.g izotope stuff), panning, gain staging, mid/side processing and basically general orchestration.

They can mix things differently based on the specific artists intentions and will always sound professional and therefor saying you don't like professional sounding mixes is just absurd and shows a lack of understanding on the subject.

Saying you don't like popular music because it follows a lot of the same overused composition techniques or that you just dont like that genre is one thing, saying you don't like popular music because it was professionally mixed is absurd. the mixing and mastering on radio quality songs is insanely high quality compared to 99% of stuff on newgrounds. Even obscure genres of music that have very few followers might be professionally mixed.

If you STILL want to argue that you don't like professional sounding mixes, then be my guest.

Response to Is my track good enough for games? 2016-06-06 08:27:51

@kenki @Modnex
If after this you tell me that you like songs not professionally mixed....

...that is to say, you like your sounds all in the centre, blaring out and giving you headaches instead of carefully spaced out to adapt to the listener's ears...

...that you like instruments that don't have their proper place in the piece and are free to blare out whenever and whatever...

...then may God have mercy on your souls, and especially on your ears. Get some earplugs and Kool-Aid ready.

Response to Is my track good enough for games? 2016-06-06 09:22:27

At 6/6/16 08:27 AM, Troisnyx wrote: @kenki @Modnex
If after this you tell me that you like songs not professionally mixed....

...that is to say, you like your sounds all in the centre, blaring out and giving you headaches instead of carefully spaced out to adapt to the listener's ears...

...that you like instruments that don't have their proper place in the piece and are free to blare out whenever and whatever...

...then may God have mercy on your souls, and especially on your ears. Get some earplugs and Kool-Aid ready.

If only someone had shown me this diagram when I first started producing. Suddenly everything makes sense.

But yeah mix is super important unless you've got like 1 instrument.

At 6/6/16 08:27 AM, Troisnyx wrote: ...that is to say, you like your sounds all in the centre (...)

Just wanted to point out that this is not necessarily a bad thing, as you then basically end up with a mono recording, which can still be of high quality in terms of mixing. Spacing is still important, of course, but it isn't necessarily limited to panning from left to right. If anything, you should ensure your mix sounds good both in stereo, as well as in mono.

I agree with all the other stuff, though :)

At 6/6/16 02:34 AM, johnfn wrote:
At 6/3/16 03:28 PM, midimachine wrote: your track is poorly mixed with cheap sounding instruments and boring composition

so... maybe it's good enough for someone?
Also midi do you really believe this kind of response has ever helped anyone? Let some love into your heart, man. <3

it helps me distract myself from the inevitable heat death of the universe :v

p.s. i am gay

At 6/6/16 12:26 AM, Modnex wrote: There is no such thing as good, bad or awful, that's just an opinion.

You and Kenki can debate that good and bad are opinion related definitions in context of something subjective, however you're using this mask to justify poor production, and using it to put it on par with professional quality production.

There's a clear difference in liking a track and appreciating it. If you dislike a track you can still appreciate it's good production and why others like it. That's not a bad track, it's just not your taste. When something is bad it has no merit, and claiming it is a good track because there must be a minority that say its good is a false belief based on a whim. Therefore there's no evidence to support that bad tracks have the same integrity as a well produced track.

People who use "it's just your opinion" use it as an avoidance to not acknowledge the reality of a discussion. In this case you use it to overlook the significance of the problem to dismiss criticism. "It's just my opinion" and "it's just your opinion" are the most weak replies anyone can say to justify an argument when there is no evidence to back that up. And implying the pros aren't good, and that it's down to "common opinion" is one of the most ridiculous things I've read to justify an excuse to find merit in a bad production. C'mon, how far are you gonna run with this? :P

BBS Signature

Response to Is my track good enough for games? 2016-06-06 12:00:26

At 6/6/16 10:46 AM, PeterSatera wrote:
At 6/6/16 12:26 AM, Modnex wrote: There is no such thing as good, bad or awful, that's just an opinion.
You and Kenki can debate that good and bad are opinion related definitions in context of something subjective, however you're using this mask to justify poor production, and using it to put it on par with professional quality production.

There's a clear difference in liking a track and appreciating it. If you dislike a track you can still appreciate it's good production and why others like it. That's not a bad track, it's just not your taste. When something is bad it has no merit, and claiming it is a good track because there must be a minority that say its good is a false belief based on a whim. Therefore there's no evidence to support that bad tracks have the same integrity as a well produced track.

People who use "it's just your opinion" use it as an avoidance to not acknowledge the reality of a discussion. In this case you use it to overlook the significance of the problem to dismiss criticism. "It's just my opinion" and "it's just your opinion" are the most weak replies anyone can say to justify an argument when there is no evidence to back that up. And implying the pros aren't good, and that it's down to "common opinion" is one of the most ridiculous things I've read to justify an excuse to find merit in a bad production. C'mon, how far are you gonna run with this? :P

I do not use good and bad as an excuse for anything. Its simply the truth. EVERYONE HAS DIFFERENT TASTE.To sit there and use the words "good" and "bad" as if they mean the same thing to everyone, is simply ridiculous. That's equivalent to saying everyone likes Justin Bieber and think he is a "good" person or saying everyone hates Justin Bieber and think he is a bad person. Both of those statements are FALSE! Why? Because you cannot speak for everyone!

Since you guys want to keep this debate going, I will show you how everyone's definition of those words are completely different. For instance, most people would probably say that lying is completely bad, right? Well to individuals who like to manipulate their way to power it is good thing, a beneficial thing. Some people will probably say that trump is a "bad" person, while other people will completely disagree and think he is a good/great person! All of these things are OPINIONS. There is no right and there no wrong answer. Its simply a matter of taste. A bad mix to you, might sound like a master piece to someone else. Why? Because the way we perceive things as individuals are completely different.

I will use the song I posted in this forum as a huge example. I've posted this song on several websites. This same song that you people say has an awful mix, and cannot be used in anything has been complemented, downloaded, used in projects and even played on an internet radio station. This proves its just your opinion. Don't believe me? Down below you can find a link to a video, where this song has been used. You can also find picture evidence to show you the amount of love I've gotten on this track. This proves that you cannot speak for everyone. I've uploaded some of my songs here to compare how different, each music community is. Some music communities are kind and helpful, while others are a little more harsh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaNKTVd8Yb0

At 6/6/16 12:00 PM, Modnex wrote: nonsense

Ok put it this way.

Everybody else hates what you like.

also on that link it only has 200 views. His channel has 7 subscribers. Not a very good testament to the quality.

Submit it to an actual house channel with thousands of viewers or something and it wont ever be included in their uploads.

Not saying its really bad, but its no where near as high of quality that your insisting it is.

Its rare to see an artist insist his stuff is good. Usually artists feel as if their own music is lacking.

It's not the equivalent in saying everyone likes Justin Bieber. Because as mentioned before, there's a difference in Good and Bad, and Liking and Appreciating a track. You can dislike Justin Bieber, but you would be a fool to imply his track has no merit and is bad. Im not a fan of his music, but the mixing is superb, the themes know how to grab an audience, etc.

People aren't suggesting your track is outright bad either, tracks can have good qualities to them, even if the mix is poor. Your suggestion again that your bad mix to us, is a great mix to someone else is proven that the track is on one video, with no comments on mixing...it doesn't prove why your mix isnt sub par. By pointing it out your track is used doesn't suddenly rectify the issues and to cover it up you're implying nothing, nothing ever can be bad, and it's all down to opinion. That's ridiculous.

Since you like the use of examples on how the word bad is used it's easy enough to put it the other way. Guy A shoots guy B because guy B stole guy A's sandwich. When it comes to it, the judge says "he did a bad thing". Are you trying to tell me it wasn't bad, and that it was a matter of opinion? And that's enough to justify the death of guy B?

Nothing is ever black and white, people hear merits in your track, they are just saying that the mix is poor, and instead of trying to understand why and where you can improve, you're on the defensive and saying it's not sub par but it's just an opinion. As I said, you don't want to acknowledge the criticism, and that therefore begs the question, if you can't take criticism from others, then why even ask "is my track good enough for games."

BBS Signature

>asks for constructive criticism
>posts paragraphs about how his songs are great in response to said criticism

and people wonder why i act dismissive a lot lmao

p.s. i am gay

Response to Is my track good enough for games? 2016-06-06 13:34:24

At 6/6/16 12:10 PM, Rennh wrote:
Ok put it this way.

also on that link it only has 200 views. His channel has 7 subscribers. Not a very good testament to the quality.

Submit it to an actual house channel with thousands of viewers or something and it wont ever be included in their uploads.

Not saying its really bad, but its no where near as high of quality that your insisting it is.

Its rare to see an artist insist his stuff is good. Usually artists feel as if their own music is lacking.

I'm done with this debate. You people aren't understanding the point of all of this and that's fine. I'm not going to keep going back and fourth on something this ridiculous. At the end of it all, its all opinions. If you think differently, you're already proving my point, as I don't agree with your opinions and you don't agree with mine. I never said my track was great. I simply said it sounded good enough to the people who used it. The way some people here thinks, thinks if a mix is a bad, the entire song is. Which was the point I was defending. I stand by what I said and will always stand by what I say. There is no need to take this any further as there is nothing you can say that will ever change my mind.

End of discussion.

Response to Is my track good enough for games? 2016-06-06 13:45:46

At 6/6/16 01:34 PM, Modnex wrote: I simply said it sounded good enough to the people who used it.

hey this sounds familiar...

At 6/3/16 03:28 PM, midimachine wrote: so... maybe it's good enough for someone?

...omg and you all acted like i was being rude :<

p.s. i am gay

Response to Is my track good enough for games? 2016-06-06 14:31:12

I mix all my music. I was meaning I don't like complex songs, but I used the wrong terminology.

At 6/6/16 01:34 PM, Modnex wrote:
At 6/6/16 12:10 PM, Rennh wrote:
Ok put it this way.

I'm done with this debate. You people aren't understanding the point of all of this and that's fine. I'm not going to keep going back and fourth on something this ridiculous. At the end of it all, its all opinions. If you think differently, you're already proving my point, as I don't agree with your opinions and you don't agree with mine. I never said my track was great. I simply said it sounded good enough to the people who used it. The way some people here thinks, thinks if a mix is a bad, the entire song is. Which was the point I was defending. I stand by what I said and will always stand by what I say. There is no need to take this any further as there is nothing you can say that will ever change my mind.

End of discussion.

So basically you made this thread with the intention of not listening to any criticism. Your ego is getting in the way of accepting the truth.

You received criticism on what should be improved upon and you said "No, its good now the way it is"

What was the point of even making this thread.

Its almost as if you think you have 0 room for improvement mixing/mastering wise, in which case you are a complete fool.

Personally my mixes arent that great, my compositions are even worse. But I can accept that I need to improve. and ask almost everybody else who makes music here and they will say the same about themselves. It shouldn't be that hard for someone to accept that.

Response to Is my track good enough for games? 2016-06-07 04:24:13

At 6/6/16 01:34 PM, Modnex wrote: there is nothing you can say that will ever change my mind.

We have a phase 2 new comer.

BBS Signature