00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

0llybros just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Making a concert type thing

1,499 Views | 17 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Making a concert type thing 2016-06-02 10:12:14

Now I know NG's kinda small and doesn't have the sponsorship to give this sort of thing, but I was wondering if us audio artists could pool together, find a venue, and turn it into a concert for indie musicians somehow, and give NG a presence outside the web and conventions and things. Think of it as some sort of music festival thing.

It may not work in all likelihood, or it may. I don't know. But I'm just throwing the idea out there because I think something like this would be cool. (There'll likely have to be regional variations of this thing, too.)

My mind is going in all sorts of crazy directions now, but yeah...

Response to Making a concert type thing 2016-06-02 10:17:48

At 6/2/16 10:16 AM, Bspendlove wrote: Anything in the area of London within 2-3 hours drive then count me in...

Likewise <3 If those of us who can reach it by train have the means to do summat, or maybe do it in Milton Keynes or the Midlands somewhere (to meet halfway), that would be amazing.

Response to Making a concert type thing 2016-06-02 13:17:32

too bad im poor

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Making a concert type thing 2016-06-02 14:50:40

Ill do anything you want if you sneak me into the UK.

The worth of a man can be measured by the length of his reverb, and the girth of his waveform

Thees waveforme iz veri dangerous. Ve must deal vit it. squash

Response to Making a concert type thing 2016-06-02 15:16:33

At 6/2/16 01:17 PM, Sequenced wrote: too bad im poor

I'm poor too, but an idea is worth sharing, methinks.

Response to Making a concert type thing 2016-06-02 16:13:35

I was thinking about something like this a little while ago... and I came to the conclusion internally that the Pico Day office party would be the best time and place for it as that's when there's the greatest concentration of NG users in one place

BBS Signature

Response to Making a concert type thing 2016-06-02 22:21:18

At 6/2/16 04:13 PM, Migashi wrote: I was thinking about something like this a little while ago... and I came to the conclusion internally that the Pico Day office party would be the best time and place for it as that's when there's the greatest concentration of NG users in one place

I've never been to Pico Day, but I always thought it would be cool if turned from a bunch of dudes just meeting up into something a little more ceremonial. Like an exhibition of artwork and music.

BBS Signature

Response to Making a concert type thing 2016-06-02 23:17:06

At 6/2/16 08:34 PM, Lich wrote: Yep, I'd be happy to do something either myself or a live collab with other musicians here if I can make it to next year's Pico Day.
At 6/2/16 10:21 PM, FinaLee wrote: I've never been to Pico Day, but I always thought it would be cool if turned from a bunch of dudes just meeting up into something a little more ceremonial. Like an exhibition of artwork and music.

I've got the PA equipment; lets see if we can make this happen next year! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Making a concert type thing 2016-06-03 03:41:12

Europe will need its own chapter... Time to search out venues.

Response to Making a concert type thing 2016-06-04 08:57:52

Why is always @Troisnyx coming with best ideas?

Response to Making a concert type thing 2016-06-04 09:21:37

At 6/4/16 08:57 AM, sorohanro wrote: Why is always @Troisnyx coming with best ideas?

Hey, I got partly inspired by what you and a few others did.

"He, Babulia, diskoteka!"

Response to Making a concert type thing 2016-06-04 09:27:33

I think concert n all sounds great, but it may be too big to start if you want to do this. Rentals like holding a concert means having a venue suitable for audio which has to hold quite a few people. If it's like a theatre it's not cheap, especially not in where you would draw the biggest crowd in the UK, London.

Prices tend to start at £1000 per hour. Which is far fit for the poor to just jam with a crowd present. XD
https://hirespace.com/Top/London/Theatre-Hire-London

From personal experience of doing this the best idea is to go small, like the pico discussion above and during the afternoon for UK travel flexibility, when you do it late public services eventually stop around 11pm. If you start the afternoon you can lead up into the evening, whereas if you start at 8pm, you'll find people leave after two or three hours due to travel arrangements.

We tend to have game developer meet ups with multiple other developers from other companies, they tend to be done one of two ways. Expo's which can range from free to thousands depending on the venue and crowd pull (we have Play Expo next week in Scotland, also available in Manchester etc) and that costs us. The free ones tend to be local cafes, pubs etc. The other way we have had meet ups is more of a social gathering where you all meet up at once at a bar/cafe etc. You don't tend to bring your stuff to that though.

So yeah, just thought I'd throw out a few ideas as the big venue could be too huge, but a meet up is certainly doable for those in the area (im a bit far from London though, but it would be your best bet i'd imagine for the UK).

BBS Signature

Response to Making a concert type thing 2016-06-04 10:08:13

At 6/4/16 09:27 AM, PeterSatera wrote: From personal experience of doing this the best idea is to go small, like the pico discussion above and during the afternoon for UK travel flexibility, when you do it late public services eventually stop around 11pm. If you start the afternoon you can lead up into the evening, whereas if you start at 8pm, you'll find people leave after two or three hours due to travel arrangements.

We tend to have game developer meet ups with multiple other developers from other companies, they tend to be done one of two ways. Expo's which can range from free to thousands depending on the venue and crowd pull (we have Play Expo next week in Scotland, also available in Manchester etc) and that costs us. The free ones tend to be local cafes, pubs etc. The other way we have had meet ups is more of a social gathering where you all meet up at once at a bar/cafe etc. You don't tend to bring your stuff to that though.

Maybe find a field, or a garden somewhere? I remember LeeFest started that way. I don't know if anyone has PA equipment, but I do know a friend who hoards the stuff even if he doesn't know how to use it. XD The idea was that we would attract a small-to-medium crowd, and if it gets larger, it gets larger. We'd do redux versions of the stuff we produce...

Response to Making a concert type thing 2016-06-04 10:48:32

At 6/4/16 10:08 AM, Troisnyx wrote: Maybe find a field, or a garden somewhere? I remember LeeFest started that way. I don't know if anyone has PA equipment, but I do know a friend who hoards the stuff even if he doesn't know how to use it. XD The idea was that we would attract a small-to-medium crowd, and if it gets larger, it gets larger. We'd do redux versions of the stuff we produce...

A field is a great idea! You'd probably have to clear it with the council, im sure it would be fine though!

BBS Signature

Response to Making a concert type thing 2016-06-04 11:04:22

At 6/4/16 10:48 AM, PeterSatera wrote:
At 6/4/16 10:08 AM, Troisnyx wrote: Maybe find a field, or a garden somewhere? I remember LeeFest started that way. I don't know if anyone has PA equipment, but I do know a friend who hoards the stuff even if he doesn't know how to use it. XD The idea was that we would attract a small-to-medium crowd, and if it gets larger, it gets larger. We'd do redux versions of the stuff we produce...
A field is a great idea! You'd probably have to clear it with the council, im sure it would be fine though!

Indeed. Preston City Council would be fine with Avenham Park's open field being used for gigs and things, for example. It'll all depend on where we're doing this if we ever hold a meet in Britain.

Response to Making a concert type thing 2016-06-04 18:57:28

At 6/4/16 11:04 AM, Troisnyx wrote: Indeed. Preston City Council would be fine with Avenham Park's open field being used for gigs and things, for example. It'll all depend on where we're doing this if we ever hold a meet in Britain.

Preston, that's not that far! 3 hours drive. Im travelling there in a few weeks. Hah. :P have a lot of family there, run restaurants, etc.

BBS Signature

Response to Making a concert type thing 2016-06-04 19:04:03

At 6/4/16 06:57 PM, PeterSatera wrote:
Preston, that's not that far! 3 hours drive. Im travelling there in a few weeks. Hah. :P have a lot of family there, run restaurants, etc.

Maybe you can come meet me and Seán! Lemme know! :D

(EDIT: This post should not have been here. Sorry. Wrong thread.)