00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

orafice13 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Do you let fanbases ruin things

2,393 Views | 28 Replies

Do you let fanbases ruin things 2016-05-11 22:07:38

I do.
I know it's easy to just ignore fans of something usually, but sometimes it's hard.
Ex. Undertale.
I thought it was a good, fun game for what it was.
Now I (still) see an oversaturation of fan art based on it everywhere. It actually ruined the game for me to the point where I couldn't stand playing through it on another route. The cringey quotes on youtube comments that were completely unrelated was enough to turn me off, but....nevermind.

Do you let it happen, or do you manage to keep to yourself enough to continue enjoying things?

Response to Do you let fanbases ruin things 2016-05-11 22:20:24

My boyfriend's daughters have have kinda ruined Family Guy for me.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Do you let fanbases ruin things 2016-05-11 22:24:58

At 5/11/16 10:20 PM, Painbringer wrote: My boyfriend's daughters have have kinda ruined Family Guy for me.

I can relate. I had a friend who quoted every joke from Family Guy and I've grown to just dislike the show.

look man if you're concerned about who likes what you also like, your confidence in your own thoughts is pathetically shallow and you need to get your shit together.

as long as you're not part of the stupid fanclub and subculture it spawns, who cares.

worry about things that matter.

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to Do you let fanbases ruin things 2016-05-12 09:21:26

I'm involved with zero fanbases and believe life is better that way.

BBS Signature

Response to Do you let fanbases ruin things 2016-05-12 16:17:03

i have. if the whole fast and furious "tuner" thing never happened, i'd probably be driving an older civic. they're great driving appliances, do their jobs very well. but those people, and what they do do their vehicles, such an utter turn off.

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to Do you let fanbases ruin things 2016-05-12 16:46:53

At 5/11/16 10:07 PM, BrandonIsNear wrote: I do.
I know it's easy to just ignore fans of something usually, but sometimes it's hard.
Ex. Undertale.
I thought it was a good, fun game for what it was.
Now I (still) see an oversaturation of fan art based on it everywhere. It actually ruined the game for me to the point where I couldn't stand playing through it on another route. The cringey quotes on youtube comments that were completely unrelated was enough to turn me off, but....nevermind.

Do you let it happen, or do you manage to keep to yourself enough to continue enjoying things?

I keep to myself most of the time, or stick with a sane fanbase.

I had this experience in the last decade with the Kingdom Hearts fanbase. Now with the huge amount of content coming in through Kingdom Hearts Unchained X, there isn't much room for fanon unless you really slip between the cracks. But back when it was still in the Kingdom Hearts II and pre-Kingdom Hearts X days, it was very much different.

Crack pairings, corny fanfiction, oversaturation of horrible DeviantArt submissions, etc., etc. I admit openly that in my own way, I was part of this. But as the years passed, I set a bunch of standards for myself and no longer associated with the proliferation of cringey content. I know Tetsuya Nomura (who's basically director) wasn't bothered about fan shipping because ultimately, his own vision of the story would override every fan tale eventually, but my word, the things people came with.

Sora X Riku and Axel X Roxas were the common ones.

Sora X Kairi was taken to be canonical.

But then you had Vanitas X Xion, Xemnas X Naminé and all sorts of really depressing... uh, 'fantasies'.

Response to Do you let fanbases ruin things 2016-05-12 17:06:19

I don't pay attention to fanbases, so if something gets somewhat ruined for me it's because of tons of people complaining about a fanbase for some reason. Like FNAF and Undertale, for example, don't know why the fanbases are so terrible, but plenty of people seem to think so and they kind of start to make me think differently.

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits.

BBS Signature

Response to Do you let fanbases ruin things 2016-05-12 17:13:09

At 5/12/16 05:11 PM, EKM wrote: I discovered Star Wars on my own when I came across a Return of the Jedi book as a kid. Had I not discovered Star Wars back then, I probably never would have become a Star Wars fan because of the fanbase today.

Traitor!!! xD

Response to Do you let fanbases ruin things 2016-05-12 17:21:28

The only times I see things from franchises like Undertale, FNAF, Steven Universe and Dr. Who is via their fanbases. So my understanding is based on what the fandom is drawing or talking about and its usually just cookie cutter and uninspired sometimes cringy so I get pretty sick of them pretty fast. I did look up Undertale though because if how big it was and it looks like a cute little game in its own right; I'm still never going to play it but it looks fun and interesting. People that aggressively like franchises and speak only in quotes from various games/cartoons/whatever are very annoying regardless of what they're endlessly quoting.

Response to Do you let fanbases ruin things 2016-05-12 17:21:32

At 5/11/16 10:20 PM, Painbringer wrote: My boyfriend's daughters have have kinda ruined Family Guy for me.

Also, It is those same girls who got me into The Hunger Games and Twilight.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Do you let fanbases ruin things 2016-05-12 17:25:33

I try not to let them get to me, but my favorite games have some of the most toxic fanbases.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Do you let fanbases ruin things 2016-05-12 17:31:37

Depends on which gets to me first, the fanbase or the thing.
I'm quite fond of the Mystery Skulls animations because I love the style, the music, and the character designs, but also because I discovered it before being exposed to the cancerous fanbase. If I had discovered it through shitty fan art, then the whole thing would probably make me want to vomit every time it popped up somewhere. This is exactly what happened with me and Frozen; by the time I actually sat down to watch the movie, it had been completely ruined for me by all those juniors at my Girl Scout meetings shrieking out the lyrics to Let It Go.

Response to Do you let fanbases ruin things 2016-05-12 17:37:38

At 5/12/16 05:21 PM, JackDCurleo wrote: The only times I see things from franchises like Undertale, FNAF, Steven Universe and Dr. Who is via their fanbases. So my understanding is based on what the fandom is drawing or talking about and its usually just cookie cutter and uninspired sometimes cringy so I get pretty sick of them pretty fast. I did look up Undertale though because if how big it was and it looks like a cute little game in its own right; I'm still never going to play it but it looks fun and interesting. People that aggressively like franchises and speak only in quotes from various games/cartoons/whatever are very annoying regardless of what they're endlessly quoting.

This reminds me... New Steven Universe season starts tonight. I started watching because of the kids but I actually like it a lot.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Do you let fanbases ruin things 2016-05-12 17:40:42

At 5/12/16 05:37 PM, TomFulp wrote: This reminds me... New Steven Universe season starts tonight. I started watching because of the kids but I actually like it a lot.

Haha, I'm sure its a good show and have been told by a bunch of people to check it out, but I just never get around to it. Maybe tonight I'll catch that premier

Response to Do you let fanbases ruin things 2016-05-12 17:44:46

At 5/12/16 05:37 PM, TomFulp wrote:
This reminds me... New Steven Universe season starts tonight. I started watching because of the kids but I actually like it a lot.

I wouldn't think that SU was bad if I didn't read about a group of fans that tried to get a fan artist to commit suicide over some art they did about it.
Probably a little unfair, but after that I had a bad bias against it.

Response to Do you let fanbases ruin things 2016-05-12 17:59:10

At 5/12/16 05:44 PM, BrandonIsNear wrote: I wouldn't think that SU was bad if I didn't read about a group of fans that tried to get a fan artist to commit suicide over some art they did about it.
Probably a little unfair, but after that I had a bad bias against it.

That's a good example of fanbases ruining things.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Do you let fanbases ruin things 2016-05-12 20:57:48

At 5/12/16 08:18 PM, usgurshaan178 wrote: They make me hate what I already don't even like. How?

Well I feel like it's kinda like that kid in school that nobody likes because everyone says they're mean.
You see how people act toward a certain thing and come to a conclusion that you wouldn't like it.

Response to Do you let fanbases ruin things 2016-05-12 21:02:17

I deliberately avoid interactions with fandoms nowadays.

Response to Do you let fanbases ruin things 2016-05-12 21:13:19

rip Dat Boi

Do you let fanbases ruin things

NG UOTD 2/4/11 | I run a Minecraft server. | Con los terroristas

BBS Signature

Response to Do you let fanbases ruin things 2016-05-12 22:11:02

There's always going to be a portion of those who just take things to an undesirable (and sometimes dangerous) extreme, which is why it's important not to blanket your opinions of that bunch onto everyone else. I see a fanbase as a potential source for new music, art, cartoons, games, costumes and all sorts of other, delightfully weird shit to enjoy. One of the daughters of a co-worker loved watching MLP:FiM and began drawing them all the time. Then, it was characters from Undertale. Now, she's starting to draw her own stuff. She's even produced a couple of short, crude animations. Doesn't matter what I think of her work. She's proud of it. Am I to hate something that encourages her artistic talent, especially on a site like Newgrounds?

I don't focus upon the rotten bunch who inadvertently make something look bad by association. Chances are, those particularly detestable individuals would have behaved just as poorly without being a part of some fanbase. I mean, Steven Universe didn't encourage that abuse, and I see no reason to lump the supportive remainder of the fandom together with them. Also, I can't blame those who talk about something all the time, because nearly all of us do that with things that interest us the most. I know one person who loves talking constantly about her kids. Another about the Metal Gear Solid franchise. I'm sure I've annoyed more than a few people at work whenever I'd start rambling on and on about anime I'm currently watching. It's just something people do.

The only way a fanbase could truly ruin something for you would be if you focused your exposure towards the negativity a fraction of it emits. If people love something, let them express it. Don't call them cancer or toxic. That just makes you the unlikable fucks you're claiming them to be. I may not be part of any fanbase, but I won't disregard the positive influence one can have on some people.

TL;DR version ~ No, I don't let it ruin things for me, and I type too much.

Response to Do you let fanbases ruin things 2016-05-12 23:21:33

Fanbases aren't that big of a deal because most of the time I don't know much about it to begin with ,it makes me want to know even more about the material that they cherish.

Response to Do you let fanbases ruin things 2016-05-15 22:47:52

I have poor self control so I always end up browsing for stuff at rule34 and what I find there always ruins everything for me.

Hello thar ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Do you let fanbases ruin things 2016-05-15 22:50:33

At 5/12/16 09:13 PM, Grub-Xer0 wrote: rip Dat Boi

Didn't really find that funny to begin with tbh but I got sucked into the ironic usage.

Oh shit whaddup.

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to Do you let fanbases ruin things 2016-05-16 00:14:41

WAH! THESE FANS ARE OBNOXIOUS AND RUINING MY EXPERIENCE!

Grow... the fuck... up.

If you like something, like it the way you want to like it. Don't let stupid people control your liking of things. There are no damn safe spaces. You will find fans who are like minded to you and enjoy things with you. Take this from someone who loves the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Believe me, I have seen some creepy things from this fanbase. It doesn't ruin my love for the show though.

Response to Do you let fanbases ruin things 2016-05-16 01:12:54

I'm under the belief that all fanbases are shitty. Try to disprove me.

Response to Do you let fanbases ruin things 2016-05-16 01:27:04

I try to ignore them as much as possible and just try to enjoy the game, show, ect. One thing I do find annoying is the MLP fans tainting other things by doing fanart of Sonic as a pony or something like that.

Cartoonist, Animator, and Tweeter

BBS Signature

Response to Do you let fanbases ruin things 2016-05-16 02:07:53

I typically don't go to threads of things that I like unless they are theory based threads, I'm too old to let someone dictate to me what is good about something and what is bad; I don't entertain schoolyard "slipknot isn't metal" bullshit anymore.

BBS Signature

Response to Do you let fanbases ruin things 2016-05-16 08:17:58

I suppose I could say that some fanbases have ruined certain things for me.
But it's no excuse from getting into these circle-jerk rings and ruining things for them either.

I got a friend who was into Tokyo Ghoul and I kept hinting at how gay everything seemed in that show.
Fuck even the scene where the main guy gets his ass kicked by a chick is borderline gay.
It's pure dominance and the main guy pretty much grows a pussy where his balls should have been at birth.

That's not even the end!
Later on in the show you see the main guy go super badass on this rapist like dude.
Sadly you think it's gonna be cool but turns out the main guy just ends up sodomizing that guy as well.

It's downright gay, and I love pointing it out.