00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

If Dragonball GT had been good?

1,962 Views | 23 Replies

If Dragonball GT had been good? 2016-04-30 16:45:46

While the series have never been canon, but I have to wonder...if GT had been a good series and became popular, do you think the fans would have accept the series enough that it would have been considered as a part of Dragonball canon?

When it comes to the series, personally I felt it has some good ideas that wasn't well executed, hurting it in the process. Basically the shadow dragon episodes.

It would have been a good addition to the Dragonball franchise otherwise but being that it's GT, you know how it turns out. Would you have consider the series as a part of canon had it been good?

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to If Dragonball GT had been good? 2016-04-30 19:35:28

At 4/30/16 05:12 PM, Hoodie wrote:
At 4/30/16 05:01 PM, Bryan wrote: I always thought Dragonball was like Yu-Gi-Oh and Naruto in that it's anime geared toward children. Don't ask me what high brow anime is, but I certainly wouldn't consider Dragonball for mature audiences.
uuuuuh, Ghost in the shell, maybe? :s

not really

It's shounen after all so you can expect what its target demographics to be. Even then it shouldn't influence the enjoyment of the series, not to mention how the genre have been muddled at times. With that said, I don't think anyone should give a crap about what's "high brow" or not however, especially since it's the kind of nonsense that can divide anime fans as a whole.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to If Dragonball GT had been good? 2016-04-30 19:45:36

The Garlic Jr. saga was considered "good" by many, yet the fans still don't consider it canon, because it's not Toriyama's work.

Response to If Dragonball GT had been good? 2016-04-30 20:31:41

There were a few aspects of GT that I liked. It had the sense of adventure reminiscent of Dragonball and the planets were full of ridiculous, otherworldly monster designs. Plus the series was relatively short without the aid of a "Kai", so none of the bad guys felt like they overstayed their welcome. Any issue I had with GT was standard in the Z series: Nobody other than Goku is allowed to save the day. When Goku's not around, all anyone does is stand around waiting for Goku. Every fight ends with somebody learning a new attack or reaching a higher power level, all for it to be useless by the next episode.

Dragonball Z is a terribly predictable shounen series. The only reason GT gets hate and Z doesn't is because GT's not written by Toriyama.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to If Dragonball GT had been good? 2016-04-30 20:35:46

At 4/30/16 08:02 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote:
At 4/30/16 07:46 PM, Sekhem wrote:

GT is in fact not canon. It is non-canonical. Officially. DB and DBZ were indeed aimed at young boys whether or not you think that's appropriate. That was their target audience. They are shounen series. That doesn't stop me from wanting to get Xenoverse. Looks pretty sweet.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to If Dragonball GT had been good? 2016-04-30 21:09:43

At 4/30/16 08:36 PM, SuperUltraAusterity wrote: The problem with GT was that the animation quality took a huge plunge from Z, and also Toriyama had almost no involvement. Super has good animation for a current anime, and Toriyama is involved apparently even more than he was with the Z show from what I've read.

yeah Grrrreaat animation :P

Response to If Dragonball GT had been good? 2016-04-30 21:10:47

At 4/30/16 04:45 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: While the series have never been canon, but I have to wonder...if GT had been a good series and became popular, do you think the fans would have accept the series enough that it would have been considered as a part of Dragonball canon?

Doesn't matter if the fans like it or not. They could absolutely adore it but that still wouldn't make it canon.

When it comes to the series, personally I felt it has some good ideas that wasn't well executed, hurting it in the process. Basically the shadow dragon episodes.

I honestly thought it was okay. If they executed things better and wrote it better I would have enjoyed it more.
But the whole thing seems clunky all the pacing is awful. Some ideas would have been good if they took them and made em into movies instead of a whole new series.

Like the whole arc with Super 17. That thing was only 7 episodes long! If they just cut out filler in there and unnecessary crap it could have an at least decent movie instead of jamming it in between the Baby and Shadow Dragon Sagas. Can't imagine it'd be any worse than the 3 part saga of the overly muscular monster screaming at Goku because he "cried too much when they were babies and he still has some fucked up grudge against him because of it" (aka Broly).

Then flesh out the Black Star Dragon Ball and the Shadow Dragons Sagas a little more and it could have been really good.
The whole series was only about 64 episodes long.
Also maybe NOT bring Pan along or bring her along and let her be able to go Super Saiyan so she could actually be of use instead of just wasting space.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to If Dragonball GT had been good? 2016-04-30 21:20:53

GT had some strong points, but they were drowned out by the bad things.

Some things GT did right was:

- SS4 looked pretty cool, even if the design made little sense
- Bringing back Pilaf and the gang
- The concept of evil Dragon Balls (even though it was carried out poorly it is still a cool concept)
- Shorter sagas that were more too the point than DBZ and Dragon Ball were

Unfortunately, most things about the show were ass.

Response to If Dragonball GT had been good? 2016-04-30 23:33:19

Hey, there were a couple of good things about GT. Super Saiyan 4 and of course...Vegeta's MOOSTACHE.

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits.

BBS Signature

Response to If Dragonball GT had been good? 2016-04-30 23:36:31

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature

Response to If Dragonball GT had been good? 2016-04-30 23:39:34

At 4/30/16 11:33 PM, DeftonesFan665 wrote: Hey, there were a couple of good things about GT. Super Saiyan 4 and of course...Vegeta's MOOSTACHE.

Speaking of Vegeta, one thing that stood out from GT was his protectiveness of his daughter, Bra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p40ChcYf0n8

Response to If Dragonball GT had been good? 2016-04-30 23:42:08

At 4/30/16 11:33 PM, DeftonesFan665 wrote: Hey, there were a couple of good things about GT. Super Saiyan 4 and of course...Vegeta's MOOSTACHE.

One very small thing I didn't like about Vegeta in GT? His hair.
A Pure Blooded Saiyan's hair is supposed to never change from the day they're born.
Hence why when Goku/Gohan and Vegeta/Trunks went into the Hyperbolic Time Chamber (Room of Spirit and Time) Goku and Vegeta's hair stayed the same whereas Gohan and Trunks' grew longer. Hell in Super it was the same thing except Goku and Vegeta stayed in there the equivalent of 3 years and both ended up growing beards.

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to If Dragonball GT had been good? 2016-05-01 00:25:50

At 4/30/16 11:42 PM, Viper wrote:
One very small thing I didn't like about Vegeta in GT? His hair.
A Pure Blooded Saiyan's hair is supposed to never change from the day they're born.
Hence why when Goku/Gohan and Vegeta/Trunks went into the Hyperbolic Time Chamber (Room of Spirit and Time) Goku and Vegeta's hair stayed the same whereas Gohan and Trunks' grew longer.

I think there is an exception for facial hair. But anyways, I also did not like Vegeta's hair in GT. It looks like someone took a sword and sliced the top half clean off, but somehow it still maintained its spikiness. Then finished the job by gelling down the hair that stuck out on the sides.

Hell in Super it was the same thing except Goku and Vegeta stayed in there the equivalent of 3 years and both ended up growing beards.

1. They really need to stop milking the Dragon Ball franchise. I've hardly seen anything out of Super and it's all just wrong. I don't want anything to do with it.
2. Like I said before, I think there is an exception for facial hair. I mean, for example, King Vegeta had a goatee and I doubt he was born with it. That would be weird if he was born with it...

BBS Signature

Response to If Dragonball GT had been good? 2016-05-01 00:32:47

At 4/30/16 11:39 PM, TheGamechanger wrote:
Speaking of Vegeta, one thing that stood out from GT was his protectiveness of his daughter, Bra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p40ChcYf0n8

They gave her the dumbest name...that's all I have to say about that.

BBS Signature

Response to If Dragonball GT had been good? 2016-05-01 03:31:46

At 5/1/16 12:25 AM, DeftonesFan665 wrote:
At 4/30/16 11:42 PM, Viper wrote:
2. Like I said before, I think there is an exception for facial hair. I mean, for example, King Vegeta had a goatee and I doubt he was born with it. That would be weird if he was born with it...

Also Nappa's mustache.

What if...

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to If Dragonball GT had been good? 2016-05-01 04:04:18

At 4/30/16 09:09 PM, sooperfly28 wrote:
At 4/30/16 08:36 PM, SuperUltraAusterity wrote: The problem with GT was that the animation quality took a huge plunge from Z, and also Toriyama had almost no involvement. Super has good animation for a current anime, and Toriyama is involved apparently even more than he was with the Z show from what I've read.
yeah Grrrreaat animation :P

It really hurts fans when Toei Animation cuts corners. It's not the only thing they cut corners over; they did the exact same thing for Sailor Moon Crystal. Seasons 1 and 2 were especially evident because the transformation sequences had this cheapo CGI effect that looked horrendous. Does anyone know if Toei is working on anything else currently?

I also have to agree with @vannila-guerilla on the few (read: FEW) things that Dragon Ball GT even did right. At least they brought back the ape-like features for SS4; the tail was something that was missing for quite a lot of Dragon Ball Z and we all sorta forgot whom Goku was based on, at the end of the day.

Good things about GT:
Ssj4
Baby saga
Artwork (it looked better and more consistent than Z tbh)
The villains
It's not db:super, db:battle of the gods, or db:resurrection of f
Overall concepts
Had its funny moments
Good soundtrack (even if it is a little repetitive)

Bad things about:
Great concepts with poor execution
It's boring (for the most part) until the baby saga
Every character who's not goku (or vegeta) is completely useless
Gohan can't go mystic for some reason
Pan and bra are annoying
Trunk's design and personality
Turning goku into a kid for majority of the show
Completely forgetting about OG characters like tien and yamcha but for some reason kept mr. satan around
Pulling a "gohan" on uub by hyping him up at the end of Z only for him to be completely useless anyway
Its weird habit of putting mustaches on characters
Krillin looking old as hell while yamcha and tien look the same (despite krillin being the youngest of the three)
Goku jr
The rehashed "goku is leaving forever" ending
The "rap" theme song

And despite all that bad shit i just listed, I still would rather watch dbgt before giving db:super two seconds of my time. I know gt sucked and all, but I can't stand it when people bash gt for the shit I just listed above but then go and praise super, blatantly ignoring the fact it shares most of the main problems with gt all because toryiama wrote it this time around. Toryiama-dickriders give gt a lot of shit but at least it was appealing to the eye.

GT fight

This is best fight super has to offer

it's weird how something so shitty can make you appreciate something that you previously hated. Kinda reminds me of my feelings torwards Spider-Man 3 after watching The Amazing Spider-Man 2

BBS Signature

Response to If Dragonball GT had been good? 2016-05-01 11:26:22

At 5/1/16 10:04 AM, Sekhem wrote: battle of the gods, resurrection, and super are so many times better that it's not even comparable

dude, i can't even take you seriously after reading that

would you rather have a huge hamburger that is pretty good or a 3 inch turd that you can eat in a few less bites?

i guess you chose the turd

"better than GT"

BBS Signature

Response to If Dragonball GT had been good? 2016-05-01 13:22:05

At 5/1/16 12:25 AM, DeftonesFan665 wrote: I think there is an exception for facial hair. But anyways, I also did not like Vegeta's hair in GT. It looks like someone took a sword and sliced the top half clean off, but somehow it still maintained its spikiness. Then finished the job by gelling down the hair that stuck out on the sides.

Well who knows. Maybe Trunks got a little too carried away with the sword at home and he accidentally cut off like half of Vegeta's hair. Then it just never grew back because...reasons?

1. They really need to stop milking the Dragon Ball franchise. I've hardly seen anything out of Super and it's all just wrong. I don't want anything to do with it.

Super isn't all that bad. I've been watching it subbed and am caught up to episode 41.
The animation quality has drastically improved since the beginning and the story has actually gotten better so far.
Though the first chunk of it the series was just a quick retelling of Battle of Gods and Resurrection of F.
Not to mention the latest episode showed a side to Beerus (or whatever you decide you want to call him) that was the complete opposite of how he usually acts.

Well you never know. Also I refuse to live in a world where a baby with a goatee is deemed "weird".

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to If Dragonball GT had been good? 2016-05-01 13:34:49

At 5/1/16 01:22 PM, Viper wrote:
At 5/1/16 12:25 AM, DeftonesFan665 wrote: I think there is an exception for facial hair. But anyways, I also did not like Vegeta's hair in GT. It looks like someone took a sword and sliced the top half clean off, but somehow it still maintained its spikiness. Then finished the job by gelling down the hair that stuck out on the sides.
Well who knows. Maybe Trunks got a little too carried away with the sword at home and he accidentally cut off like half of Vegeta's hair. Then it just never grew back because...reasons?

It probably couldn't grow back because it's wasn't supposed to change from the day he was born...even when half of it gets chopped off...

Super isn't all that bad. I've been watching it subbed and am caught up to episode 41.
The animation quality has drastically improved since the beginning and the story has actually gotten better so far.
Though the first chunk of it the series was just a quick retelling of Battle of Gods and Resurrection of F.
Not to mention the latest episode showed a side to Beerus (or whatever you decide you want to call him) that was the complete opposite of how he usually acts.

Eh, I still think it's too much.

Also, I completely forgot about Resurrection of F. That's actually where I drew the line. A movie about Frieza being resurrected? No thanks. GT did that and it wasn't that good, so I'm very reluctant to give that movie a chance.

Well you never know. Also I refuse to live in a world where a baby with a goatee is deemed "weird".

Haha, fair enough.

BBS Signature

Response to If Dragonball GT had been good? 2016-05-01 14:00:41

At 5/1/16 01:34 PM, DeftonesFan665 wrote: It probably couldn't grow back because it's wasn't supposed to change from the day he was born...even when half of it gets chopped off...

Ah who knows. There's probably some bs reason why it didn't just grow back.

Eh, I still think it's too much.

Also, I completely forgot about Resurrection of F. That's actually where I drew the line. A movie about Frieza being resurrected? No thanks. GT did that and it wasn't that good, so I'm very reluctant to give that movie a chance.

I actually think they executed it a lot better in Resurrection of F/Super than they did in GT. Though the story was changed a little bit in Super so that a character killed off in RoF ended up sticking around then got used by GINYU to body swap with him. Then Ginyu was back for a bit before getting offed by Vegeta.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to If Dragonball GT had been good? 2016-05-02 12:09:15

If they took away the theme song, it would've been fine.

Response to If Dragonball GT had been good? 2016-05-02 16:18:29

At 4/30/16 08:35 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: That doesn't stop me from wanting to get Xenoverse. Looks pretty sweet.

Xenoverse is actually a pretty fun game. Granted I'd honestly prefer playing something like Tenkaichi 3 over it but it's definitely one of the best DB related to come along in a LONG time.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

At 5/2/16 09:20 AM, mysticvortex13 wrote:
At 4/30/16 08:35 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 4/30/16 08:02 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote:
At 4/30/16 07:46 PM, Sekhem wrote:
GT is in fact not canon. It is non-canonical.
hahahaha...

Take it up with the people running it who decided so and carried on with a new series disregarding it, picking up where Z ended. It wasn't me.

At 5/2/16 04:18 PM, Viper wrote:
At 4/30/16 08:35 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: That doesn't stop me from wanting to get Xenoverse. Looks pretty sweet.
Xenoverse is actually a pretty fun game. Granted I'd honestly prefer playing something like Tenkaichi 3 over it but it's definitely one of the best DB related to come along in a LONG time.

I stopped at Budokai 2, I think. But making your own character for a story mode and free roaming made me curious. Just too bad only the Saiyan character has stages and it can only go to ss 2.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature