00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ParallaxDraw just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Tim's sketchbook

622 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Tim's sketchbook 2016-04-29 13:04:34

Back again and better than I was before. Stopped trying digital art, traditional only now! As an "artist" I'm lazy and poor so for the time being I'll probably only have pencil and charcoal drawings. Advice is what I seek oh great artists of Newgrounds.

Drawing is obviously inspired by Dark Crystal.
Materials: Cheap yellow pencil and charcoal.

Tim's sketchbook

Response to Tim's sketchbook 2016-04-29 13:25:52

Some more fucking around with charcoal:

Tim's sketchbook

Response to Tim's sketchbook 2016-04-30 12:47:35

At 4/29/16 05:31 PM, TheNamGam wrote:
At 4/29/16 01:04 PM, TimothyFlitwick wrote: Back again and better than I was before. Stopped trying digital art, traditional only now! As an "artist" I'm lazy and poor so for the time being I'll probably only have pencil and charcoal drawings. Advice is what I seek oh great artists of Newgrounds.
I have a little experience with charcoal and my advice would be to work with darker values. Don't be afraid to really dig in with some softer charcoal, it makes the highlights of the material stand out. Work on your gradients from super dark to light as well.

I really like the concept for that first one.

Thank you for responding, working on it!

Old troll couple, seems like they've seen better days.
Materials: HB + 4B graphite pencil

Tim's sketchbook

Response to Tim's sketchbook 2016-04-30 14:14:01 (edited 2016-04-30 14:14:31)

Old troll couple, seems like they've seen better days.
Materials: HB + 4B graphite pencil

I made them a little house in the woods. Same materials.

Tim's sketchbook

Response to Tim's sketchbook 2016-05-01 13:41:16 (edited 2016-05-01 13:44:23)

At 4/30/16 09:28 PM, EKM wrote: Very interesting. I have very little experience with seeing charcoal-based art. Traditional art is underrated nowadays since there are so many digital works. Glad to see you doing some cool stuff with what you have. Keep working on it. I can't wait to see how much you improve in the future. The last piece looks pretty good.

Thanks! I'm glad traditional stuff is still supported around these dark and crawly corners of the internet.

These are some of the things I drew today (I've been loving the fantasy style/vibes lately). I've noticed that the photographs don't really make the works come out their best. These seem a little less dark and more bland than they are in real life. Perhaps any suggestions on how to fix that?

Materials: HB and 4B graphite pencils.

Tim's sketchbook

Response to Tim's sketchbook 2016-05-02 11:47:39

Some of the stuff I drew today. I think getting out in the woods and just sitting down on a fallen tree is the best inspiration of nature one can get. One's got to treasure those few weeks a year in total when the weather is just beautiful AND comfortable!

Materials: same old graphite!

P.S. Maybe I should've called this thread "I draw a lot of trees".

Tim's sketchbook

Response to Tim's sketchbook 2016-05-02 22:46:41

nice :D

Response to Tim's sketchbook 2016-05-03 13:17:35 (edited 2016-05-03 13:19:29)

Here's some of the shit I've been doing with color in the last couple of days (Seems to be very difficult to fully capture the color with my camera but this will do). I also uploaded a piece of work to the art portal:

http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/timothyflitwick/mr-toad-s-magical-forest

Materials: 4B/HB graphite and a ton of old cheap coloring pencils.

Tim's sketchbook

Response to Tim's sketchbook 2016-05-04 15:30:47

Didn't do as much as I wanted to do today but at least I'm still keeping up with the draw everyday challenge (and I'm still enjoying it). My sixth-grade self probably wouldn't believe me but I'm really loving these coloring pencils.

Tim's sketchbook

Response to Tim's sketchbook 2016-08-01 14:42:00

Hey, guys! Yes, you got that right. I'm one of those fuckers that flips back and forth around these parts. I've finally finished my year and I'm entering my finals so I've finally got some spare time on my hands.
I really need some advice on my crap, though.

Some shit I'm doing:

Tim's sketchbook

Response to Tim's sketchbook 2016-08-02 15:55:22

fuk u:

Tim's sketchbook