00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

wilwz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Drawing on Paper vs Vector Programs

342 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hi Guys

Just wondering if everyone has the same problem as me, When I am drawing on paper my designs seem a lot nicer and smoother. When I draw in toonboom and sometimes flash my lines especially on long strokes are not smooth. I don't have the steadiest hand but could it be my old cheap bamboo or do I just suck?

Response to Drawing on Paper vs Vector Programs 2016-04-28 16:45:55

For me it is the opposite, I can not draw very well on paper anymore.

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing on Paper vs Vector Programs 2016-04-28 16:48:33

Haha, so eventually paper will be like writing on a chalk tablet as you progress to digital.

At 4/28/16 04:45 PM, Blounty wrote: For me it is the opposite, I can not draw very well on paper anymore.

Response to Drawing on Paper vs Vector Programs 2016-04-28 16:59:31

PS has anyone read any decent books on animating in flash etc? and did it help?

Response to Drawing on Paper vs Vector Programs 2016-04-28 17:29:24

Both come with practice, If I drew more on paper I could probabally get back to being good at it. I just prefer digital.

At 4/28/16 04:59 PM, JimToons wrote: PS has anyone read any decent books on animating in flash etc? and did it help?

The only book that really helps is the animators survival kit by richard williams.

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing on Paper vs Vector Programs 2016-04-28 18:30:34

When I was only starting to use a tablet I found it hard to draw with it, but now after 1.5 years I draw same both on paper and digital, and I regularly practice drawing on both paper and digital.

Same can be applied to musical instruments and MIDI-keyboards, I think.

Of course there are always small nitpicks with both ways. For example, almost no one can draw with brush tool properly, and digital has layers, undo and stuff, while paper can be rotated in any direction and your hand-eye coordination is completely unhindered, providing greater control of your lines.