00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mariobros22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

My Boss Threatened to Fire Me

659 Views | 12 Replies

My Boss Threatened to Fire Me 2016-04-23 08:08:12

So I work overnight at an ihop where i have called in a few times sick, without any forms. I came into work last night and received two different write ups for two different occasions where I called in sick and have yet to produce any form of paperwork from a doctor or whomever. The two manager's were disputing whether I was told about this, and whether or not they knew, I said I was informed once, however I would like to speak with the manager who wrote me up before I sign anything, they said they would have to fire me on the spot if I didn't sign these write ups then and there.

Anyway, I signed them, promising to bring in medical paperwork for one of the occasions, which I have, but the other one was a simple stomach flu and I didn't need a doctor.

Am I entitled to any legal recourse given that I know I should not have had my job threatened over signing this paperwork, as it can be filed unsigned?

Response to My Boss Threatened to Fire Me 2016-04-23 08:19:43

At 4/23/16 08:08 AM, NinjaGuy wrote:
Am I entitled to any legal recourse given that I know I should not have had my job threatened over signing this paperwork, as it can be filed unsigned?

Did your hiring state "At-Will Employment"? If so, you're kinda hosed.

Response to My Boss Threatened to Fire Me 2016-04-23 08:33:08

At 4/23/16 08:19 AM, axehandle-stain wrote:
Did your hiring state "At-Will Employment"? If so, you're kinda hosed.

no, it is not an at-will employer, however all jobs before 90 days of working somewhere are considered at will fyi

Response to My Boss Threatened to Fire Me 2016-04-23 08:43:48

You deserve it for calling in sick.

I've never missed a day of work in my entire life. One time I had the flu but I still went to work. I had to make sure the toilet stalls were empty whenever I had to throw up, in addition to hiding several towels under my clothing to wipe away all the sweat my body was producing. Some people called in sick the following week, but luckily I didn't miss a day.

BBS Signature

Response to My Boss Threatened to Fire Me 2016-04-23 09:03:46

At 4/23/16 08:43 AM, Ruby-S wrote:

where do you work if you don't mind my asking?

Response to My Boss Threatened to Fire Me 2016-04-23 09:21:09

Does your employer give sick days? If not, I don't think there's much you can do.

Response to My Boss Threatened to Fire Me 2016-04-23 11:51:12

At 4/23/16 08:43 AM, Ruby-S wrote: I've never missed a day of work in my entire life. One time I had the flu but I still went to work.

This kind of mentality really bothers me. What is there to be proud of when you're sick and you go to work anyways? It really isn't the end of the world having to call in, because most reasonable managers would rather you keep your germ-riddled ass at home and allocate the work among the other employees than potentially getting everybody sick and creating an even bigger problem.

What's worse is that this mindset is not uncommon, and it's a big reason why I'm apprehensive whenever my girl or family wants to eat out somewhere. There might be a Ruby-S in the back coughing up a lung all over our food and dishes.

BBS Signature

Response to My Boss Threatened to Fire Me 2016-04-23 13:14:13

At 4/23/16 09:03 AM, NinjaGuy wrote:
At 4/23/16 08:43 AM, Ruby-S wrote:
where do you work if you don't mind my asking?

At that time i worked for the returns department of a large online store.

BBS Signature

Response to My Boss Threatened to Fire Me 2016-04-23 14:45:29

At 4/23/16 08:43 AM, Ruby-S wrote: I've never missed a day of work in my entire life. One time I had the flu but I still went to work.

I have too. But that's because there's no one who can come in and fill in for me if I don't work so they'd be screwed if I didn't show up due to being sick. I just kept it as under control as I could and if I needed to cough or sneeze or whatever I'd go off somewhere where there was no one and do that because I'm not gross and don't just sneeze in areas with a lot of people when I'm sick without making the effort to at least try to cover it.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to My Boss Threatened to Fire Me 2016-04-23 14:55:52

Do you know what "work morality" is?

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to My Boss Threatened to Fire Me 2016-04-23 15:50:01

At 4/23/16 08:08 AM, NinjaGuy wrote: Am I entitled to any legal recourse given that I know I should not have had my job threatened over signing this paperwork, as it can be filed unsigned?

I don't know, but I know who does. Lawyer Dog.

My Boss Threatened to Fire Me

BBS Signature

Response to My Boss Threatened to Fire Me 2016-04-23 17:38:15

That depends... did you use recording software on your cell during this conversation? -The burden of proof is on you; you have to prove you were threatened.

"If you don't stand up for yourself... everyone will walk all over you." -Donald Trump

BBS Signature

Response to My Boss Threatened to Fire Me 2016-04-23 18:14:38

Find a new job, problem solved.

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature