00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mirenamak just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How to develop YOUR style.

628 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Just think this is a nice sunday evening topic. How to people develop a style, do you find animators that you enjoy and replicate styles like creating animations that look like The Simpsons or Futurama because they enjoy matt groaning's work? I know a lot of people (myself included) find they doodle like Adventure Time or Steven Universe.

On the other hand do you find you cut corners and so you animation doesn't have the flow like a Don Bluth so your style is more simplistic?

At 4/17/16 06:47 PM, IEntertainment wrote: Just think this is a nice sunday evening topic. How to people develop a style, do you find animators that you enjoy and replicate styles like creating animations that look like The Simpsons or Futurama because they enjoy matt groaning's work? I know a lot of people (myself included) find they doodle like Adventure Time or Steven Universe.

On the other hand do you find you cut corners and so you animation doesn't have the flow like a Don Bluth so your style is more simplistic?

I don't entirely know what you mean in the first paragraph, my apologies since I'm a little tired. :<

For the second question though, I cut corners a LOT (so much that it shows). So my animation tends to be choppy and uh... not flow so well.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to How to develop YOUR style. 2016-04-19 04:09:42

I love the first 4 seasons of Pokemon's art style. So I've began my mission in learning the style of Ken Sugimori and Sayuri Ichiishi. I watch the episodes frame by frame and practice drawing characters faces and bodies. When I practice animating the characters moving I usually get a better at drawing them since I'm using the frame by frame technique. Here's one of my practice drawings

How to develop YOUR style.

"In matters of taste there can be no disputes."

BBS Signature

Response to How to develop YOUR style. 2016-04-19 15:17:54

Thats a brilliant story. Maybe Ineed to start to model my style to someone else's and try to develop from their. At the moment I kind of go for round heads and very limited movement.

Thanks for sharing!

At 4/19/16 04:09 AM, OzoneOrange wrote: I love the first 4 seasons of Pokemon's art style. So I've began my mission in learning the style of Ken Sugimori and Sayuri Ichiishi. I watch the episodes frame by frame and practice drawing characters faces and bodies. When I practice animating the characters moving I usually get a better at drawing them since I'm using the frame by frame technique. Here's one of my practice drawings

Response to How to develop YOUR style. 2016-04-26 12:06:06

At 4/17/16 06:47 PM, IEntertainment wrote: Just think this is a nice sunday evening topic. How to people develop a style, do you find animators that you enjoy and replicate styles like creating animations that look like The Simpsons or Futurama because they enjoy matt groaning's work? I know a lot of people (myself included) find they doodle like Adventure Time or Steven Universe.

How to develop a style:

Mimic a bunch of styles

Fuck them all up.

Fuck em up enough, and bam, you have your style.

Joke aside though, when you're drawing and notice something you always do that's kinda cool in drawings, focus on that for a while. Make every drawing have that little quirk, work on exaggerating it, or making it really subtle. over time you build up enough quirks, and your style starts to come out of that.

Response to How to develop YOUR style. 2016-04-26 14:20:27

I agree, the best way is to copy and mimic as much as possible.

Your work may not look great to start with at the beginning but the more you learn the closer you will be achieving the style.

Eventually when you want to draw something you will just know what to do to make the drawing the way you want it from all the practice, muscle memory and all that.

Also don't be dissuaded when people say copying is bad, this usually means copying and claiming you didn't copy.

BBS Signature

Response to How to develop YOUR style. 2016-04-26 19:25:27

Great way of looking at it, thanks for the input! (This is my new account)

Fuck em up enough, and bam, you have your style.

Joke aside though, when you're drawing and notice something you always do that's kinda cool in drawings, focus on that for a while. Make every drawing have that little quirk, work on exaggerating it, or making it really subtle. over time you build up enough quirks, and your style starts to come out of that.

Response to How to develop YOUR style. 2016-04-29 11:52:18

i personally feel there is a level of maturity beyond which we can talk about style (like animators from anime) . Do more projects... every project is different. And you will find something cool you can take/learn from any artist and you will have a style meanwhile..!!!

Its all in the Design... Worship Design... cause its what matters, Muhaaahaaahaaa....haaa haa hee aa... hrmmm...

Sci

Response to How to develop YOUR style. 2016-04-30 03:28:14

In my opinion style is the last thing that anyone should focus on. I'd suggest to study from real life first and then find what you wanna exaggerate, simplify, transform, etc. Otherwise you'll end with something that's way too derivative and an overall limited arsenal. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't study other artists, but don't make that your main focus, maybe try to get how they came up with their style and how it relates to real life?

On the second question, I try to avoid that most of the times, however, sometimes deadlines matter and also not everyone can make something that flows well without making it feel over-animated. I say there's probably a specific skill set related to making choppy animation look well and making animation in 1's look well that are completely different.