00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

lbkush just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Windows Vista only has 1 year left!

2,333 Views | 42 Replies

A year from today, the once controversial, nagware-free operating system will be going the way of Windows XP.

That means you'll still be able to use it, but there won't be any new updates or games for it soon after.

So, any of you here still using Vista? Have you ever used Vista? Did you move on to Windows 7, 8/8.1 or 10? Are you sill using Windows XP? Will you still be using Windows XP?

It certainly was the slowest and most difficult to learn operating system at the time, but nowadays (after two service packs and several updates) it isn't much different than Windows 7.

I mostly use Windows 7 and 10.

Haven't decided what to do with my one remaining Vista PC yet. But will most likely keep it around for when the day of discontinuation comes.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Windows Vista only has 1 year left! 2016-04-11 15:50:21

I used Vista from Summer 2009 until Winter 2014. Never had issues, but was using it for word processing and internet browsing mainly. Switched to 8.1 when I got a new laptop, and free upgrade to 10 when it came out.

Those who do not learn from the mistakes of their past are doomed to repeat them.

Response to Windows Vista only has 1 year left! 2016-04-11 16:21:59

I'm still using Windows XP.

Works fine.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Bad news for community colleges everywhere.

(They might actually have to use the tuition students pay instead of pocketing it now)

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to Windows Vista only has 1 year left! 2016-04-11 16:33:05

By now, you should really have either Windows 7 or 10.

TracyJackson

-EcG member for CSGO-

Attorney, Gamer, Sport Fan, PhD student (future Senator, maybe?)

At 4/11/16 03:21 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote:
At 4/11/16 03:18 PM, Fastboots wrote: I had windows vista and it sucked i kept getting blue screens and even after repairs i still kept getting them.
forgive me if i don't believe you got any bluescreens at all.

Yeah, because Microsoft operating systems totally never give BSODS.
Your ignorance of the nature of this operating system (and as you've repeatedly made evident throughout your posts, computer science in general) is forgiven, since the vast majority of NG users who have read more than a handful of your posts are perfectly aware of the fact that you simply don't know any better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC4vz6IbdtY

Response to Windows Vista only has 1 year left! 2016-04-11 19:42:22

windows is so unlike mac in that people aren't always updated with the latest os

what the fuck kind of drugs do you have to be on to still use XP or vista

what the fuck are you doing

stop it

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to Windows Vista only has 1 year left! 2016-04-11 19:51:34

At 4/11/16 07:42 PM, TOXlCITY wrote: windows is so unlike mac in that people aren't always updated with the latest os

Windows 10 is supposed to change all of that.

what the fuck kind of drugs do you have to be on to still use XP or vista

Nostalgia is one hell of a drug.

stop it

Make me.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Windows Vista only has 1 year left! 2016-04-11 20:37:06

At 4/11/16 07:51 PM, Painbringer wrote: Nostalgia is one hell of a drug.

I got what you need ;-)

Response to Windows Vista only has 1 year left! 2016-04-11 22:28:18

I would rather somebody rotate my left nut with a monkey wrench than use Windows Vista for even one day.

Ecchi first, ask questions never.

BBS Signature

Response to Windows Vista only has 1 year left! 2016-04-11 22:33:11

Vista may be the worst OS of all time.

Response to Windows Vista only has 1 year left! 2016-04-11 22:46:32

At 4/11/16 04:33 PM, EcG-TracyJackson wrote: By now, you should really have either Windows 7 or 10.

The problem with that thinking is oftentimes new Windows versions like to break things in very incompatible ways hardware-wise. So it's often not as simple a problem as replace the Windows XP or Windows Vista with Windows 7 or Windows 10. Oftentimes you'll just flat-out need a brand new computer entirely because your hardware is outdated for the modern OS.

And it's also a bit ridiculous to expect people to keep buying new computers all the time to "keep up" also, as those are quite an expense. It should be perfectly reasonable to still use a computer that's 5 to 10 years old. You shouldn't have to replace the computer every 2 years, like Microsoft seems to want.

At least Linux can get by on older hardware just fine. Yeah at some point you'll want a new machine, but it's just not cost-effective for the average person to essentially buy a new computer every couple of years, when there's no technical reason what they're using shouldn't still work (hardware is still perfectly fine) but just because an OS is no longer supported and a newer version of that OS has more stringent hardware requirements than the system meets.

Cue in all the people who upgraded their Windows 7 or Windows 8 or 8.1 machines to Windows 10 and got hit with nasty surprises due to essentially their hardware being incompatible with it. And then *not* being able to go back to their previous OS in some cases.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

At 4/11/16 10:46 PM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 4/11/16 04:33 PM, EcG-TracyJackson wrote: By now, you should really have either Windows 7 or 10.
The problem with that thinking is oftentimes new Windows versions like to break things in very incompatible ways hardware-wise. So it's often not as simple a problem as replace the Windows XP or Windows Vista with Windows 7 or Windows 10. Oftentimes you'll just flat-out need a brand new computer entirely because your hardware is outdated for the modern OS.

Windows version changes definitely do have a reputation for breaking things both in terms of software and hardware. I've spent many hundreds of hours hacking to get legacy software working on newer operating systems after an upgrade.

However, EcG does have a point. You really do not want to be running Windows XP right now. The OS is full of serious bugs and security vulnerabilities, most of which will probably never be fixed since official support has been terminated and there is little public interest in maintaining it (assuming it can even be maintained considering that it is a closed-source proprietary software.)

And it's also a bit ridiculous to expect people to keep buying new computers all the time to "keep up" also, as those are quite an expense. It should be perfectly reasonable to still use a computer that's 5 to 10 years old. You shouldn't have to replace the computer every 2 years, like Microsoft seems to want.

At least Linux can get by on older hardware just fine. Yeah at some point you'll want a new machine, but it's just not cost-effective for the average person to essentially buy a new computer every couple of years, when there's no technical reason what they're using shouldn't still work (hardware is still perfectly fine) but just because an OS is no longer supported and a newer version of that OS has more stringent hardware requirements than the system meets.

Cue in all the people who upgraded their Windows 7 or Windows 8 or 8.1 machines to Windows 10 and got hit with nasty surprises due to essentially their hardware being incompatible with it. And then *not* being able to go back to their previous OS in some cases.

Upgrading *nix systems typically doesn't cause issues as long as they were set up properly to begin with. You mostly encounter issues with the servers that are set up badly, and then have shitloads of hacks applied to core libraries that get overwritten after the upgrade. But with Windows, the user has no control. Microsoft breaks things and you either take it or spend however many hundreds of hours hacking to work around the bug (only to have said workaround break in a subsequent upgrade.)

The problem with Windows is that its an operating system so inherently flawed that it is arguably broken by design. There is little that can actually be done to fix Windows. I will admit they've improved in some areas since the old days, but there is still a whole lot of ugly going on under the hood.

Its like PHP. Everything is an afterthought or another band-aid solution. So there is this perpetual cycle of Windows "trying" to fix their software with these updates, which often just fixes one problem and introduce X more. Unfortunately for the Windows end user, downloading these updates is a "damned if you do, even more damned if you don't" situation.

Response to Windows Vista only has 1 year left! 2016-04-12 03:15:30

I now run Windows 10.

Thing about Vista is that it nailed one thing that others didn't. The UI in Vista was AMAZING. Far less clunky than 7, and far more muted than XP.

However, that's as far as the positives go. The OS itself refused to recognise devices and games put into it, and Vista was notorious for bringing in what we know as Microsoft Nanny.

*deletes a file*
Are you sure?
*yes*
Are you sure?
*why is it asking me this again*

Repeat the process 7 times and you have something far worse than Clippy.

Response to Windows Vista only has 1 year left! 2016-04-12 05:15:52

At 4/12/16 02:14 AM, DJ-Ri wrote: Windows version changes definitely do have a reputation for breaking things both in terms of software and hardware. I've spent many hundreds of hours hacking to get legacy software working on newer operating systems after an upgrade.

Thanks for reminding me how Vista single-handedly killed the MIDI/gameport and made my Gravis gamepads essentially useless.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Windows Vista only has 1 year left! 2016-04-12 06:26:48

i still use windows Xp but its mainly just because i'm lazy as fuck and have yet to update it in any particularly meaningful way, i'd imagine all my browsers and whatnot are probably several versions out of date at this point as well.

Response to Windows Vista only has 1 year left! 2016-04-12 06:45:21

At 4/11/16 03:14 PM, Painbringer wrote: Haven't decided what to do with my one remaining Vista PC yet. But will most likely keep it around for when the day of discontinuation comes.

Dump Kali onto it and use it for Security Training/Practise.

Commander Terrorsekt - An Online based Band consisting of the following members:

http://lich.newgrounds.com

http://anarkat.newgrounds.com

Response to Windows Vista only has 1 year left! 2016-04-12 07:17:24

I never experienced it so I don't really have a solid opinion, looks ugly as hell though.

i am going to make it through this year if it kills me

BBS Signature

Response to Windows Vista only has 1 year left! 2016-04-12 07:31:16

it was a pretty good operating system, never had any real issues with it though I only used is internet browsing, as well as sharing movies.

Response to Windows Vista only has 1 year left! 2016-04-12 11:23:34

Aw...that means I'll have to delete Windows Vista Errors...

just call me "Jay", thanks.

ask me questions i guess

Profile Image by https://twitter.com/Momochii_art

Response to Windows Vista only has 1 year left! 2016-04-12 11:57:14

Response to Windows Vista only has 1 year left! 2016-04-12 12:40:37

Currently use 10 since I am a .NET developer, I have no choice but to be on the bleeding edge.

Used Vista when it was in the beta, it has the best version of Aero in my opinion. It wasn't as bad as people said it was if you had newer hardware, it certainly became completely useable with SP1.

Response to Windows Vista only has 1 year left! 2016-04-12 13:02:17

i had windows vista after everything with it was fixed and i liked quite a bit.

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

was her name tenneassi

omtish

BBS Signature

Response to Windows Vista only has 1 year left! 2016-04-12 23:47:00

At 4/12/16 03:15 AM, Troisnyx wrote: I now run Windows 10.

Thing about Vista is that it nailed one thing that others didn't. The UI in Vista was AMAZING. Far less clunky than 7, and far more muted than XP.

But Windows 7 has a more streamlined version of the Vista UI.

"Plz don't call NASA on me I'm afraid of astronauts dude" - DJ-Ri (2015)

BBS Signature

Response to Windows Vista only has 1 year left! 2016-04-13 01:52:30

At 4/12/16 11:47 PM, KillerSkull wrote:
At 4/12/16 03:15 AM, Troisnyx wrote: I now run Windows 10.

But Windows 7 has a more streamlined version of the Vista UI.

More like, double the size everywhere bar the Start menu...

Response to Windows Vista only has 1 year left! 2016-04-13 02:10:11

I hated it with a passion and am very happy to see it retired.

BBS Signature

Response to Windows Vista only has 1 year left! 2016-04-13 04:37:41

Ever wonder what happened to #9?

Windows Vista only has 1 year left!

John 3:16

Response to Windows Vista only has 1 year left! 2016-04-13 05:13:03

At 4/13/16 04:37 AM, Greggg586 wrote: Ever wonder what happened to #9?

I read they skipped Windows 9 to avoid confusion with Windows 9x (95 and 98).

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Windows Vista only has 1 year left! 2016-04-13 05:30:45

At 4/12/16 05:15 AM, Painbringer wrote: Thanks for reminding me how Vista single-handedly killed the MIDI/gameport and made my Gravis gamepads essentially useless.

You could just buy an adapter.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Windows Vista only has 1 year left! 2016-04-13 18:52:23

At 4/13/16 05:30 AM, NeonSpider wrote: You could just buy an adapter.

I have since bought a Logitech PS2-style USB controller, but rarely ever use it.

Mostly because Zdoom and EC Wolf support modern keyboard layouts.

That and I haven't really felt like replaying TIE Fighter.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature