00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

lordmagian just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Merle Haggard dies at age 79

1,923 Views | 22 Replies

Just found out about it this morning. Very sad. This guy was one of the few "real" country artists still remaining in the 21st century. He will be missed...

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/06/entertainment/merle-haggard-country-music-dies/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iYY2FQHFwE

Response to Merle Haggard dies at age 79 2016-04-09 00:17:49

At 4/9/16 12:13 AM, Hoodie wrote: lol

I see you still haven't grown up yet.

At 4/9/16 12:20 AM, Hoodie wrote:
At 4/9/16 12:17 AM, DJ-Ri wrote:
At 4/9/16 12:13 AM, Hoodie wrote: lol
I see you still haven't grown up yet.
We should make a thread for every starving child that dies pretty much every hour, oh wait nah let's mourn someone who played a guy in a movie or strummed a guitar and act like he was a goddamn hero.

This guy was a legendary country music artist that influenced the entire genre. His music career spanned over half a century. If you don't care, then kindly get the hell out of my thread.

When you finally finish puberty you'll be looking back at these childish inflammatory posts of yours and cringe hard.

Response to Merle Haggard dies at age 79 2016-04-09 00:29:18

At 4/9/16 12:27 AM, Hoodie wrote: But I'm a child and can't see the bigger picture

QFT

Response to Merle Haggard dies at age 79 2016-04-09 00:30:14

He will live in our hearts forever...

Merle Haggard dies at age 79

At 4/9/16 12:32 AM, Hoodie wrote:
At 4/9/16 12:29 AM, DJ-Ri wrote:
At 4/9/16 12:27 AM, Hoodie wrote: But I'm a child and can't see the bigger picture
QFT
Are you admitting you think entertainment stars are more important than you?

No, I was simply quoting what you typed about being a child and not being able to see the big picture, since both of those things are true.

Would you mind taking any further off-topic discussion into PMs or another thread and cease derailing my thread, though? Thanks.

Response to Merle Haggard dies at age 79 2016-04-09 02:25:29

Sorry, I don't like hearing about rednecks drinking beer on a tractor and watching NASCAR.

BBS Signature

Response to Merle Haggard dies at age 79 2016-04-09 03:06:36

At 4/9/16 02:25 AM, Avery wrote: Sorry, I don't like hearing about rednecks drinking beer on a tractor and watching NASCAR.

I really wish most country artists and fans hadn't embraced that stigma. I find Merle and a bunch of the other greats spoke to a larger audience while staying true to their roots, and keeping the country sound.

Response to Merle Haggard dies at age 79 2016-04-09 03:25:02

I'm not a fan of country music. But I'm sorry for the loss for any who valued this man or his accomplishments. I'm sure he was important to some.

DJ-Ri, while @Hoodie does come off a bit inflammatory, he does have a bit of a point. Whenever there's a "someone died" thread, it will get mixed results because there will be people who view this as a great loss and there will be people who don't know the person and who view this as an arbitrary death.

And he's right as well in that we should value all human lives, and not make special exception only for the lives of celebrities.

79 is a ripe age. While unfortunate for those who care, but everyone dies someday. It's more unusual if they're younger, since older people are expected to die of "old age" at least eventually. And I realize this man was important to you and you do have a right to express your views on this and people should respect your point of view as well.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Merle Haggard dies at age 79 2016-04-09 12:43:55

^gfy

bunchacunts

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Merle Haggard dies at age 79 2016-04-09 18:44:52

At 4/9/16 03:06 AM, yetanotherjohn wrote:
At 4/9/16 02:25 AM, Avery wrote: Sorry, I don't like hearing about rednecks drinking beer on a tractor and watching NASCAR.
I really wish most country artists and fans hadn't embraced that stigma. I find Merle and a bunch of the other greats spoke to a larger audience while staying true to their roots, and keeping the country sound.

Amen. Merle's music wasn't about "drinking beer on a tractor and watching NASCAR." His music was about life as he saw it; the everyday struggles of the working man and the values that he embraced. It was some of the realest music I ever had the privilege of listening to. I don't understand where all this hate for Merle is coming from. I'm willing to bet these haters never even heard any of his songs.

At 4/9/16 03:25 AM, NeonSpider wrote: DJ-Ri, while @Hoodie does come off a bit inflammatory, he does have a bit of a point. Whenever there's a "someone died" thread, it will get mixed results because there will be people who view this as a great loss and there will be people who don't know the person and who view this as an arbitrary death.

Hoodie is a teenage kid whose posts mostly consist of inflammatory one-liners that he posts in other people's threads for the explicit purpose of evoking some sort of emotional response - a behavior commonly known as "trolling". The kid is completely out of line.

It is incredibly ironic that he would post in my thread to accuse me of making "stupid +1 posts" when this is the first thread I've posted in ~5 months, have had an account on this site 5 years longer than him and only have about a quarter of his post count. The only reason he posted in this thread is to get some attention. It is childish and annoying.

At 4/9/16 05:13 AM, Xenomit wrote: As much as I'll hate it when some of my favorite actors like patrick stewart and ian mckellan die, I can't see myself talking about it. Or even mentioning it to anyone. I personally loved their work and it would be sad to me to know that I'd never get to see more of their work, but that's just me, and it's not conversation worthy.

Yet all the garbage threads you've spammed the BBS with somehow are conversation worthy? Kid, you made a thread about how you thought Disney was cool because they were allegedly influencing kids to like rave culture. You think your random opinion about Disney is more conversation worthy than the death of a legendary music artist that made international headlines? Nice logic, bud.

These "___ celebrity died, very sad" threads have always confused me for this reason, as harsh as it sounds, who cares? You, and people who liked him, but other than that, he's just another person dying like anyone else.

If you don't care about this person dying, and this topic is "not conversation worthy", then why the hell are you in here posting about it?

So much hypocrisy in this thread, its unreal.

Response to Merle Haggard dies at age 79 2016-04-09 19:28:03

At 4/9/16 06:44 PM, DJ-Ri wrote: Amen. Merle's music wasn't about "drinking beer on a tractor and watching NASCAR." His music was about life as he saw it; the everyday struggles of the working man and the values that he embraced. It was some of the realest music I ever had the privilege of listening to. I don't understand where all this hate for Merle is coming from. I'm willing to bet these haters never even heard any of his songs.

I do hope you are not including me in the "haters" category. Let me make something perfectly clear. I never said I hated Merle. I don't know him so I have no opinion of him, which I suspect will be the majority response, completely in-line with what I posted -- namely that any "someone died" threads will, in their very nature, elicit positive responses only from those who were fans or who knew who that was. Correct, I have not heard any of his songs, to my knowledge. I don't typically choose to listen to country music because it's not my thing. This isn't the same thing as hate.

For that matter, I don't hate NASCAR drivers either, though I couldn't tell you a thing about them because I don't keep up with it because it's not my thing. This wouldn't make me a hater. I understand someone that mattered to you died and you may be emotional from that, but try to see it from a neutral perspective as well.

Hoodie is a teenage kid whose posts mostly consist of inflammatory one-liners that he posts in other people's threads for the explicit purpose of evoking some sort of emotional response - a behavior commonly known as "trolling". The kid is completely out of line.

Was he out of line? Yes. But I've come to expect that sort of blunt nothing holding back posts from him. I believe he is quite "real" with his posts, saying what he really thinks, but he does lack tact.

It is incredibly ironic that he would post in my thread to accuse me of making "stupid +1 posts" when this is the first thread I've posted in ~5 months, have had an account on this site 5 years longer than him and only have about a quarter of his post count. The only reason he posted in this thread is to get some attention. It is childish and annoying.

I get the impression it wasn't so much your thread per-se as the general trend of "someone died" type threads lately these past few months. I think he would have said the same if it was anybody else. He just kind of blurts out what he's thinking.

At 4/9/16 05:13 AM, Xenomit wrote: As much as I'll hate it when some of my favorite actors like patrick stewart and ian mckellan die, I can't see myself talking about it. Or even mentioning it to anyone. I personally loved their work and it would be sad to me to know that I'd never get to see more of their work, but that's just me, and it's not conversation worthy.
Yet all the garbage threads you've spammed the BBS with somehow are conversation worthy? Kid, you made a thread about how you thought Disney was cool because they were allegedly influencing kids to like rave culture. You think your random opinion about Disney is more conversation worthy than the death of a legendary music artist that made international headlines? Nice logic, bud.

That is hilarious. Person died? Not conversation-worthy. Disney stuff? Conversation-worthy. lol

So much hypocrisy in this thread, its unreal.

I agree if someone thinks a thread is not conversation-worthy they shouldn't post in it. I think a "someone died" thread can be conversation-worthy, but I remind of the typical responses you should expect to receive from such a thread. (In other words it's probably not the best idea of a thread to make if you're emotionally distraught over the death of someone that meant a lot to you because no one will relate in the ways you're wanting except the few who knew such a person or appreciated what they did and you'll get a lot of bluntness)

So let me say in case you're upset about this or in case you somehow think I'm being a "hater", I'm sorry to his fans, such as yourself, that Merle died because obviously he meant something to you. But you can't expect everyone to know who he is. Not knowing who someone is isn't the same as being a hater. Also if someone doesn't know who he is they're unlikely to recognize the importance of whatever it is he did, so instead of "special person I look up to died" thread it becomes "random person died" thread to the vast majority of people. And everyone is important, celebrity or not. But it's just the facts you're probably not going to get the response you want out of a "someone died" thread *unless* the person is just universally well-known. Even then you'd get some people trolling.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Merle Haggard dies at age 79 2016-04-09 19:47:18

Agree with DJ.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Merle Haggard dies at age 79 2016-04-09 20:32:16

At 4/9/16 08:25 PM, Xenomit wrote:
At 4/9/16 06:44 PM, DJ-Ri wrote: Yet all the garbage threads you've spammed the BBS with somehow are conversation worthy?
A lot more than a thread boo-hooing about the death of a minor celebrity

Just keep it to yourself, the only people who care about him dying are his fans, the same goes for any celebrity, it's stupid to even make a thread about it in the first place.

Who are you to tell me to "keep it to yourself?" Are you a staff member or something? Last time I checked, making threads discussing current events wasn't against the rules. Your complaint has no merit. Why don't you keep it to yourself?

At 4/9/16 08:34 PM, Xenomit wrote:
At 4/9/16 08:32 PM, DJ-Ri wrote: Who are you to tell me to "keep it to yourself?" Are you a staff member or something? Last time I checked, making threads discussing current events wasn't against the rules. Your complaint has no merit. Why don't you keep it to yourself?
For the same reason you wouldn't want to make a thread in a place like the NG BBS about a family member dying, you shouldn't make one about a celebrity dying, or at least a sentimental one. My shit posting holds more merit than any "so and so celebrity died" thread.

Who decided this? I've been on this site for almost as long as you've been alive and I've seen plenty of people post threads like that. There is nothing in the rules prohibiting people from making those type of threads. Your shit posting has no merit. Quit shitting up my thread with your narcissistic nonsense.

Response to Merle Haggard dies at age 79 2016-04-09 20:51:50

lol no it doesn't

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Merle Haggard dies at age 79 2016-04-10 15:35:40

At 4/9/16 12:20 AM, Hoodie wrote: We should make a thread for every starving child that dies pretty much every hour

Nah man, screw them, they're usually black.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

At 4/9/16 06:44 PM, DJ-Ri wrote: Hoodie is a teenage kid whose posts mostly consist of inflammatory one-liners that he posts in other people's threads for the explicit purpose of evoking some sort of emotional response - a behavior commonly known as "trolling". The kid is completely out of line.

Totally full of shit. FYI in case you ever have a child, if you talk down to them in the way you do everyone else younger than you, they're gonna fucking hate you.

Clearly you're the one not seeing the bigger picture here. Our society is so positioned on fake emotions it's not funny. A few people liked art from a guy whom they've never met; therefore they should treat the death as if they're family members?

I'm sick of this shit, everyone mourns victims of car crashes, murders, old age, drugs, etc. and the media in particular is so focused on everything negative. Then someone comes around to speak up about how unnecessary this is, and you call THEM negative? (or a troll? Jesus christ do you even know what a troll is?)

Christ, just follow the line of sheep, I suppose. Or at the very least, come up with a better response than "lol ur young ur 2 dum 2 get it". Biggest fucking cop out answer in the world.

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to Merle Haggard dies at age 79 2016-04-10 18:05:05

Definitely a legend.
And far better than a group of twats that just got into a hall of fame they shouldn't even be in.

That's right I like guns and ponies. NO NEW GUN CONTROL.

Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense.

BBS Signature

Response to Merle Haggard dies at age 79 2016-04-10 18:08:50

At 4/9/16 09:07 PM, Xenomit wrote:
At 4/9/16 08:38 PM, DJ-Ri wrote: I've been on this site for almost as long as you've been alive
I like how you pretend to know how old I am. Newgrounds didn't exist for most of my young life you autist.

Projecting much? It's really pathetic that you lie about your age on this site. What are you trying to achieve by doing that? Do you think it makes you cool? This is why I can't take anything you type seriously.

At 4/10/16 05:52 PM, TOXlCITY wrote: Totally full of shit. FYI in case you ever have a child, if you talk down to them in the way you do everyone else younger than you, they're gonna fucking hate you.

Where did you get this idea that I talk down to everyone who is younger than me? If you bothered to read my post history, you would see that this is not the case. I am actually usually quite supportive of younger NG users.

I was still in elementary school when I started visiting this site back in the late 90s, so I try to treat younger NG users the way I would have preferred to be treated when I was their age. The only time I talk down to them is when they're acting like total ass-hats and are old enough to be able to realize that they're out of line.

Clearly you're the one not seeing the bigger picture here. Our society is so positioned on fake emotions it's not funny. A few people liked art from a guy whom they've never met; therefore they should treat the death as if they're family members?

Who are you to tell someone else if their emotions are fake or not? How do you know if I never met Merle Haggard? How do you know that I am not genuinely upset about the fact that he's died?

I'm sick of this shit, everyone mourns victims of car crashes, murders, old age, drugs, etc. and the media in particular is so focused on everything negative. Then someone comes around to speak up about how unnecessary this is, and you call THEM negative? (or a troll? Jesus christ do you even know what a troll is?)

Derailing/shitting up someone else's thread about a musician dying with an off-topic one-liner troll post like "lol" is not being negative or trolling? K, I'll be sure to remember that next time.

Christ, just follow the line of sheep, I suppose. Or at the very least, come up with a better response than "lol ur young ur 2 dum 2 get it". Biggest fucking cop out answer in the world.

I just can't believe that this derailment of my thread is carrying on into a second page. I made this thread to discuss the death of Merle Haggard, not have a debate about all this retarded ass bullshit you guys keep spamming my thread with. I am seriously taken aback by the level of ignorance and hostility in this thread. How many times do I need to repeat this? If you don't care about the topic of this thread, then GET THE FUCK OUT!

Response to Merle Haggard dies at age 79 2016-04-10 18:15:07

At 4/10/16 06:12 PM, X-Gary-Gigax-X wrote: ^ good grief man calm down. ^

If I got this irritated by every petty d-bag on the Internet, I would have had an aneurism ages ago.

I am just amazed at how much venom these kids are spewing in my thread and just how far they've gone out of their way to derail the shit out of it. I have never seen so much hostility and ignorance concentrated on a single page on this site. Its like they're trying to set a new record or something.

Response to Merle Haggard dies at age 79 2016-04-10 18:25:15

At 4/10/16 06:15 PM, DJ-Ri wrote: I am just amazed at how much venom these kids are spewing in my thread and just how far they've gone out of their way to derail the shit out of it. I have never seen so much hostility and ignorance concentrated on a single page on this site. Its like they're trying to set a new record or something.

They're just being real* dude!

*contrary for the sake of it

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Merle Haggard dies at age 79 2016-04-10 18:27:13

At 4/10/16 06:08 PM, DJ-Ri wrote: Where did you get this idea that I talk down to everyone who is younger than me? If you bothered to read my post history, you would see that this is not the case. I am actually usually quite supportive of younger NG users.
At 4/10/16 06:15 PM, DJ-Ri wrote: I am just amazed at how much venom these kids are spewing

"These kids" is clearly being used condescendingly.

I was still in elementary school when I started visiting this site back in the late 90s, so I try to treat younger NG users the way I would have preferred to be treated when I was their age. The only time I talk down to them is when they're acting like total ass-hats and are old enough to be able to realize that they're out of line.

Who are you to tell someone else if their emotions are fake or not? How do you know if I never met Merle Haggard? How do you know that I am not genuinely upset about the fact that he's died?

I mean just generally. I'm not saying I have anything against you making the thread. I was just making a comment on how you'd have the nerve to call someone negative for criticizing it. Considering you're the one bringing the negativity here. I'm also not saying your emotions are fake, but rather the ones of people who just hop onto these threads and +1 them with "RIP". Honestly there's so many RIP threads that they practically are spam. I dunno what makes this one any more special than the locked thread about "football will smith".

Derailing/shitting up someone else's thread about a musician dying with an off-topic one-liner troll post like "lol" is not being negative or trolling? K, I'll be sure to remember that next time.

Heh, alright, I'll give you that. But from then on he made valid enough points.

I just can't believe that this derailment of my thread is carrying on into a second page. I made this thread to discuss the death of Merle Haggard, not have a debate about all this retarded ass bullshit you guys keep spamming my thread with. I am seriously taken aback by the level of ignorance and hostility in this thread. How many times do I need to repeat this? If you don't care about the topic of this thread, then GET THE FUCK OUT!

I think you're failing to see the bigger picture, you're acting all victimized on fucking Newgrounds. What you should've done was just ignore him. But after his "lol" post, he actually made a decent point, which is why it's carried out to the second page. I'll stop now for the sake of derailment, but for future reference don't try to gain moral high ground over anyone criticizing you, just ignore them.

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature