00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BorfDoggo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Animation - Rates?

1,012 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Animation - Rates? 2016-04-07 17:02:00

Hi guys!

I'm looking into hiring an animator to help me with a project, but I have no idea what the rates are for this sort of thing. I know animation takes a lot of hard work, time, and patience, so I assume you would like to be compensated for that time.

I am working on starting an ongoing series of cartoons. Voices and character concepts have been made, however there is yet to be a script or any screenplays that are down pat. I tried looking into animation myself, but (for me to accomplish the dream of what I want this series to become) I would need a lot more experience under my belt that I just can't get yet.

So far, I have no funding or budget for the series. Once I have an idea on how much rates are, I can go from there. I expect to make this an amazing series, so I want to make sure I get the best person for the job. Could someone provide me with a ballpark on what your rates are?

Thanks in advance!

Response to Animation - Rates? 2016-04-07 18:04:42

Well, it varies depending on quality the freelancer can deliver and how much they are going to charge you.

For myself, I have an organized way of charging clients, but my services all depends what you need: if you just want me to animate the whole thing, then I'll only animate the whole thing. If you only want me to do backgrounds, I'll do backgrounds. If you only can afford some part, then I'll only animate those parts.

Usually, if the project demands a cut-out, puppet animation, I'll charge about $5-7 dollars per second of the animation (which is $300 - $420 a minute). However, if I'm asked to do traditional, frame-by-frame animation, I'll have to ask more; about $10-14 per second because I have rough it first then clean it up afterward.

Backgrounds, storyboards, they're extra but I'm not going to explain in detail about that.

Others might have a different way of going things, but this is usually how I roll and usually am flexible on negotiations. . . but that all depends on the project.

Expensive, yes, but I always am willing to offer monthly installments.

Response to Animation - Rates? 2016-04-08 07:19:44

At 4/7/16 05:02 PM, chrisrosewood wrote: Hi guys!

I'm looking into hiring an animator to help me with a project, but I have no idea what the rates are for this sort of thing. I know animation takes a lot of hard work, time, and patience, so I assume you would like to be compensated for that time.

I am working on starting an ongoing series of cartoons. Voices and character concepts have been made, however there is yet to be a script or any screenplays that are down pat. I tried looking into animation myself, but (for me to accomplish the dream of what I want this series to become) I would need a lot more experience under my belt that I just can't get yet.

So far, I have no funding or budget for the series. Once I have an idea on how much rates are, I can go from there. I expect to make this an amazing series, so I want to make sure I get the best person for the job. Could someone provide me with a ballpark on what your rates are?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings there! Thanks for the post. I would like to know more details about the project. if possible can we talk over mail or skype. Hope to see you soon.

Please see some of my work if interested.

https://www.behance.net/GothamBrown

https://www.youtube.com/user/gautamkisa

Thanks,

Gotham

Gotham

BBS Signature

Response to Animation - Rates? 2016-04-10 04:07:29 (edited 2016-04-10 04:16:49)

@VLanimate makes some very good points.

As someone who is in the UK, and works in it I can tell you It depends on what you expect of the animator, and the quality of the product. If you are trying to make a professional series, expect professional rates. People of Newgrounds will pitch discount prices due to a number of factors. But keeping a realistic open mind about the actual rates of an animator will help you see it's like every other job. For a full time animator (5 days a week, 9am- 5pm) could easily expect around £2000 a month.

If you're animator is working on preproduction, or post (voices, storyboards, concepts) then you're animation hinders as you're spreading his actual animation time off product production. That's why you hire layout artists, concept artists, storyboard artists, etc. So the animator is purely on animation driving the project. So something like having to find voices can take time, and communication with multiple voice actors for availability and cost has to be factored in. So if your animator has to hire voice over (which I have done in the past due to inexperience of the client) then it gets added to the invoice. Usually the producer will deal with that. So it would be up to you to go get the materials needed for the animator.

There's many people that do it for much cheaper, but this could be due to inexperience, haven't worked in a professional environment, simply need the work or want to make your passion project (which can be sometimes detrimental to your career). If you're looking to do a passion project people will always be willing to join and be part of a collaboration for fun, however if you are looking to employ then expect a freelance animator to charge living wage rates, and professional rates.

The UK animator salaries are, 8 hours a day 9am to 5pm with an hour lunch can be broke down as follows.
Annual: £17,038.00 - £33,834
Monthly: £1,419.83 - £2819.50
Weekly: £327.65 - £650.65
Daily: £65.53 - £130.13
Hourly: £8.19 - £16.27

You can see more here:
http://www.payscale.com/research/UK/Job=Animator/Salary

USD rates will be different, but I think it's worth noting that you can't expect animators to say. Work 8 hours a day on your animation, turn out say 15 seconds of frame by frame animation and pay them £20, or about £100 a week. The animator would be more financially beneficial working in McDonalds.

A lot of people may jump on me for my comments above, but people should be aware of the clear difference in professional and what I call "passion project" rates. Animation, whether for Film, TV or Games should be taken with a sincerity which comes with every other job and not be overlooked because it's creative.

Good luck with your project, you sound like an aspiring producer! ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Animation - Rates? 2016-04-10 23:53:57

Thanks for all the posts so far. I appreciate the "market research". I will look into some of the information I got from you all and do some thinking. I really appreciate all of the information.

Thanks!

Response to Animation - Rates? 2016-05-13 14:51:51

Hello,
Animation rates are going to vary with the project and artist. Basically the more involved the artwork, the greater the number of characters, the amount of action, number of back ground elements and a host of other factors will affect the price in the upwards costs. In order to get a ball park rate it would be good to post some examples of what you would like the show to look like as far as level of artwork. Also a script is needed and possibly a story board. These two items will cement the deal and allow the animator to arrive at a fixed cost for you.
We have done projects for as little as $5 per second of finished animation to $150 dollars per second of animation. which by no means is the upper limit for an animation. The film avatar with its completely CG environment and characters was at $22, 000 per second of animation.

So basically the parameters of your project will ultimately affect the cost.

If you get a script together send it our way and we will take a look at it and see what we can do.

Response to Animation - Rates? 2016-05-14 09:24:04

Hi chrisrosewood,

everyone who has responded so far have given you some really solid advise. But at the end of the day har are you willing to stretch your budget to achieve the quality of work your after. Alot of on newgrounds are freelancers or do it because we will feel like it.

If you are starting to search for an animator examples of spme of my work can be found below:

Wondermeow@newgrounds.com

Payments is completely negotiable if you decided to use me, good luck on your hunt.

Kind regards,

Wondermeow

BBS Signature

Response to Animation - Rates? 2016-05-14 14:20:58

Thanks to everyone for all of their responses! I have a good idea on what I need for a budget. Thanks for the info all!

Response to Animation - Rates? 2016-06-14 07:10:39

At 4/7/16 05:02 PM, chrisrosewood wrote: Hi guys!

i'd do traditional animation at $5 a second. check this https://vimeo.com/170437660

Animation - Rates?